Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

I alone can see through the media bias.

I'm also stupid on a scale that can only be measured in Reddits.

I've tried playing this game a few times and never gotten further than half an hour. Something about it just puts me off immediately. One of these days it will stick.

One freeware series I really enjoyed was The Way. Warning. This link contains an ad that blasted me with music. http://rpgmaker.wikia.com/wiki/The_Way

It's pretty spotty in some ways and it's uneven in that there are some really good parts and then some really poorly designed, unfun parts.

It's got a few things going for it, though. The plot really interested me. It's a very varied experience and unlike most RPGs it's very harsh with NPC and PC deaths. People die. A lot.

Most of the workings of the world and what the gently caress is going on are hidden at first, and the reveals can be pretty artful. Unfortunately, there are also one or two that come close to ruining things by virtue of stupidity osmosis.

The graphics aren't that hot but the games really nail the lonely journey feeling they're going for. Some of the areas really stand out, like the city Estrana that some of the later games are based around. It's big, it's pretty, and its packed to the gills with all sorts of stuff. It's one of the more memorable areas in all the RPGs I've played.

There's also a nifty dueling system that is sadly underused in the first games. You do get a sweet tournament and some epic one on one showdowns later on as a sort of apology though.

If you decide to try it, my advice is to get through the first two games. It picks up toward the end of the second one after a hellishly and unbelievably huge wilderness map.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

Samurai Sanders posted:

Recently Wizardry-type RPGs have been the ones interesting me the most. I'm almost finished with Shin Megami Tensei: Strange Journey, and I also just discovered Doom 2 RPG on my iphone. And of course, Etrian Odyssey 3 just came out if those two run out of stuff for me.

May I suggest Might and Magic VI: The Mandate of Heaven. It's loving awesome.

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

FuzzyPickles posted:

I recommend Terranigma for the same reasons as Illusion of Gaia. Enix didn't have an american publisher at the time it came out, so it only got an english release in Europe, I dont think its seen any kind of rerelease so finding a rom is the only way to get it. I found out the hard way trying to get used game stores to find a copy.

I loving love Terranigma. The other two games in the series are superb as well, but Terranigma took everything that made the series great and kicked it up to 11. If you loved the creepy/sad parts of Illusion of Gaia you especially owe it to yourself to play this game, because there's a goat that needs to have some words with you.

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

Has no meaning posted:

That game had a good library of music shamelessly ripped from a variety of sources (such as The Musashi Legend, which it puts to very good use :black101) I make it a point to copy the intro midi from Episode 1 to the custom track slot for Episode 6's tournament sidequest, it just feels right. Pity the plot fell apart at the very end :lost:.

Yeah it's a drat shame because the plot had really kept me intrigued up till the very end. I did like the reveal about the world, though. The Way being circular and all.

quote:

While it's a simple fact that you can't win a single plunge in Episode 1 because your stats are so bad and the opponents are veterans, it is possible to win Episode 2's tournament if you're lucky.

I beat the tournament in episode 2 because I was reading a guide so I knew it was possible, and refused to lose in a single other plunge after episode 1. Didn't take too long. I think the plunge system is a great microcosm of the entire series. It's an interesting little idea that is alternately awfully and artfully executed throughout the games.

Nathilus fucked around with this message at 06:14 on Oct 3, 2010

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

I remember playing Daggerfall and not having a mark spell outside of any given dungeon you were playing in was a death sentence and made it almost impossible to find your way back out. Good times.

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

Ryokashi posted:

Elona. Surprised I didn't see it mentioned yet (unless I missed it). The game is pretty detailed considering it having such a simplistic look. Nice karma system that lets you be evil if you want to, and run around slaughtering people for fun until you get hunted down by hordes of guards.

Awesome game that is almost ruined by Korean MMO levels of grinding.

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

al-azad posted:

Gold Box

Hell yes, the Gold Box games kicked rear end. Neverwinter Nights was my first graphical online game. The gold box one, not the new one.

I'd have to say though in terms of storytelling and player freedom the next generation of RPGs kicked the poo poo out of gold box games. The generation that included the mindblowing Dark Sun: Shattered Lands and that Arabian Nights themed game. I can never remember the name of that drat game.

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

al-azad posted:

Al-Qadim: Genie's Curse.

Thanks a ton. I remembered the Al- part but then Assassin's Creed names kicked in and I could never find it via google. Gonna replay this asap.

It's not nearly as amazing as the two Dark Sun games but it captured a playstyle and atmosphere that hasn't really been replicated since.

It's very actiony or Zelda like, but with good/evil (or more like rogue/noble) plot choices and some AD&D mechanics along the way. I'd compare it to the Soulblazer/Terranigma/Illusion of Gaia series more than anything, but it has branching plot choices that set it apart from the JRPG linear parts of those games. Those branches are still not nearly as comprehensive as something like Deus Ex, however.

Speaking of that reminds me of another game that it is somewhat similar to in style. Omikron: The Nomad Soul is most famous for legendary fourth wall breaking in the first two minutes of the game and music by David Bowie. Developed by Quantic Dream, recently notable for Indigo Prophecy and Heavy Rain, it was an incredibly strange and wonky game.

In the post-GTA3 world it is hard to explain the lure of this game. At the time, however, despite its massive flaws, this was the game that came closest to presenting a real, breathing city. It just happens to also be ultratech/dystopian to boot. Much like The Way, which I recommended earlier, this is a game in which you have to overlook some serious flaws before you can encounter the timless greatness.

Specifically for Nomad Soul the major flaw is much the same as Xenogears. Major sections of the story couldn't be completed as game sequences so they are almost non-interactive. The journey is still worth it in my opinion, for anyone who is an enthusiast for strange themes in games, and some sweet ancient civilization underground cities.

Here's some pics.

Click here for the full 1024x768 image.

Oh, cool man. Thanks.

Wait this isn't the same character. Is this even the same game? No worries, the discrepancy is explained above.

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

If you actually enjoy the FPS segments use a FAQ to get past the puzzles. One of the last levels is an FPS underground city that the gaming world has never seen the likes of before or since.

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

Paperhouse posted:

ah well in that case I guess it doesn't really bother me like I thought it did, so thanks

Play Persona 4, rear end in a top hat. It is really good. More fun to actually play than P3 in my opinion, with a slightly weaker story and slightly stronger characters.

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

Xenix posted:

There is also an enhanced edition available for Gamecube if you have that or a Wii.

Unfortunately it runs pretty awful in emulators for both the DC and Dolphin versions. I recently tried playing it with Dolphin and by the time I got to the desert dungeon it was crashing too often to realistically get through the joint.

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

GreenBuckanneer posted:

You know what's a better Star Ocean game? Infinite Space.

Totally agreed. Star Ocean: The Second Story has a special place in my heart but Infinite Space is just the BOMB. My only complaint is that you get stuck with fuckin' weak sauce ships till the second half of the game. And even then for the first four or five chapters the Pallas is going to be your go-to ship pretty much no matter what.

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

SpitztheGreat posted:

Lunar: Silver Star Story Complete

"Greater than the sum of its parts" is EXACTLY how I'd describe this game. Even with that its probably not an A tier RPG but its definitely charming on some level, at least. I haven't played it in a really, REALLY long time but I can still remember snatches of lyrics from the opening and boat songs, and I also remember being somewhat impressed by its imaginativeness. They threw a whole lot of relatively unimaginative stuff in, at least. Dragons, a floating city, the loving MOON, Ghaleon being a dick, creepy dragon-energy sucking machines, a talking cat-thing.... I could go on but won't. To top it all off, the characters were decently interesting and likable. The battle system still borderline sucked but at least the game had a little flavor compared to many of its contemporaries.

The hook of being able to become the kickass boss of all dragons was fuckin' decent too. As a kid, at least, that kept my interest all the way through till poo poo Gets Real. I vaguely remember the dragon pimp powers feeling legit once you finally got them as well, but that's overshadowed by memory of the pain that is the last boss.

So, yeah. This post might sound like someone trying to rationalize a lovely ex but I pretty much liked it at the time. :thumbsup:

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

BloodWulfe posted:

The intro is incredible, but because it was a Sega CD game I feel like most people missed it.

Even if you never play the original Lunar you should at least watch the intro.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Je7Ie8QWF1s&t=26s

wow that's way less........ anime...... than the version I am used to.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=71ripBa8Ga8

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

Yes hes good and there's also a literal dog (???) and you can be an rear end in a top hat and drag your ex girlfriend all over reality to save your new beau. And draggy. And the alien dude. None of these people are hot poo poo though.

Chrono Cross is another game that benefits from gorgeous art and music. I'll forgive it for the batshit ex post facto chrono trigger shenanigans because of that.

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

NikkolasKing posted:

Also is Serge's new girlfriend Kid and the old one Leena? Kid is gonna disappear? I didn't expect that.

Don't worry you get her back before too long. That's not even the weirdest sudden character disappearance the game throws at you. Not by a long shot.

And yeah Leena gets demoted to the second piece of tail on the side I guess with zero communication. Not even a "whoops I have protagonist dimension hopping powers and the best magic ever time to trade up" courtesy letter. Kinda rude.

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

Heavy neutrino posted:

Stealing should have just been an element, to be honest. Chrono Cross' steals are just so damned good that you're significantly hobbling yourself if you're not using a thief. Since you're forced to use Serge and the party limit is 3, the large array of characters isn't as impressive as it seems.

You're right about stealing being drat good and needing to just be an element, but the game is easy enough that you aren't hobbling yourself by not using it. Just use your powerful as balls magic all day erryday and you'll be fine. You get so many element slots that battles turn into disco-offs in the later portions of the game.

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

Yes, do get used to manipulating the field color. You don't really HAVE to use those tricks on most bosses, but a decent understanding of those mechanics are needed to get the true ending.

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

It's not even really a sidequest its a major section of the game. I'm shocked that it's even skippable, forget about missable.

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

NikkolasKing posted:

Out of curiosity, what is everyone's favorite piece of music in Chrono Cross?

Dreams of the Shore Near Another World is just absolutely drat perfect. It's a shame you don't have to spend more than like 30-45 seconds at one time on the portions of the another world map it plays on.

I agree that the dead sea theme is also really good. Just not the best.

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

Terranigma good. A goat begs you to eat its dead mate so you can live, then soliloquizes about eat or be eaten.

Also the MC is the literal alpha and omega and gets to see most of the stuff in between, like the birth of Simba. :cool:

Hes got the whoooole wooo-oorld~ in his hands~

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

In nosurge, I don't mind that during """purification""" the girls have to strip down to undies/skimpy bikini mode but it enrages me that meanwhile the dude just chills out in a tanktop and cargo shorts. What the gently caress! Thats some apartheid level inequality. I DEMAND A patch with banana hammocks or at the very least speedos. Besides the meat lovers among us need to get hard every once in a while while playing naughty JRPGs too, right?!?