Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert
Star Ocean 2 is legit great. I appreciate 3 for what it was even if the story was dumb and even if I re-wrote the story from memory. 4 was hot trash garbage. I'm expecting 5 to be super awful based on those character descriptions but I'm gonna get it anyway because an idiot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert
Its easier to do strategy in a turn based system than it is to do it with real time action combat. I'm cool with either but can't stand it when the battle system is sort of real time action but not quite.

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert
Wild Arms 5 is really good. The others not so much.

Hopefully with Grandia 2 doing decent on steam we'll get the Lunar games ported with proper translations.

edit: I tried to go back to Grandia 1 recently but the battles make me nauseous. The way the camera moves in and out and around isn't smooth and for some reason it never bothered me when I played it years ago.

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert

Sakurazuka posted:

Jack Russell might be my favourite RPG name and I'm sad that game never came out here.

EDGE MAVERICK

Speaking of page numbers, I really should finish Nocturne some day. Every time I think of picking it back up I remember this dude

I'm not hardcore enough I guess.

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert

Genocyber posted:

It's pretty good if my decade-old memories are to be trusted. It's one of those games that has every NPC have their own schedule, and you can recruit pretty much everyone. And it does a cool thing in the middle where depending on a choice you make the rest of the game plays out completely differently.

I remember it being good too, though I played through it on painkillers after having teeth removed so my memories might not be accurate. I did like that you could kick anyone and fight them.

alcharagia posted:

The Ginza Underpass shop sells a Magatama with immunity to Force. If you do that he'll cannibalize his own turns and get his poo poo kicked in.

I just remember him being a huge pain, though this was a long time ago when I wasn't used to the way SMT games played.

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert
Star Ocean 4 was so insanely terrible that I have zero doubt that 5 will also be terrible but it's a kind of terrible I want to experience for myself. 3 was bad in an endearing way. 2 was cool.

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert
Stalin Hitler

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert

ImpAtom posted:

I assume something more akin to the modern PSP translation where it still has a light tone but lacks Bill Clinton references and doesn't replace puzzle clues with fart jokes.

I don't think anyone wants a 100% literal translation because man that would make Lunar fuckin' suck.

This. I don't mind them rewriting it to make it sound more natural in english, I just don't like how these games were stuffed with outdated pop culture references.

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert
P4G has Marie

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert
I put 10 hours into Neptuina Rebirth 1 because I wanted to see what the fuss was about and that game is really bad.

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert

Luminous Cow posted:

Ok, so I had a vacation completely fall apart and I have a week of paid time off staycation. I've decided that instead of doing anything productive, I'm going to poopsock an rpg through. Trouble is, I can't decide on one, and I've been so far out of the loop for so long I have no idea what the "must plays" are. I have a pc, a ps4, a 3ds, and a wii u. I have several unplayed rpg's on my steam account, including final fantasy VII, jade empire, and others. I also have access to the older final fantasies. How the hell am I supposed to decide on a game? Which games can I expect to be able to complete in just a week and still have family time?

Edit: I have a hankering for turn based battles if that helps narrow things down.

If you have Trails in the Sky on steam play that. It has a really slow start but if you can make it past that it's a great game. About 40 hours long.

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert
I like wild arms but I can't stand having to run around the world map spamming a button to make towns and things appear.

On an unrelated note I am disappointed in how excited I am for Star Ocean 5. 4 was a hot mess but I have a soft spot for 3 and how dumb it was. 2 was just good.

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert

Endorph posted:

honestly it's a pretty good time to make a move into the jrpg space. tales of zestiria was very unfinished, ff15 has been in development hell for longer than some of star ocean 5's target audience has been alive, and dragon quest hasn't had a major console release for even longer. i doubt so5 will be some sort of final fantasy killer but it's got the chance to do really well and make tri-ace a big name.

Persona is out this year too. Final Fantasy is going to sell the most because of the name but I'm gonna hazard a guess and say that Persona 5 will be the better game out of the 3. I have 0 interest in Final Fantasy 15, nothing about it is appealing to me. I like big dumb space sagas and the trailer for SO5 had them standing near a big portal like the one in 3 that made them jump out of a TV, and then a ship flies into a wormhole thing and that's cool.

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert
MMOs sure seemed like a good idea at the time.

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert
Nothing about FF15 looks interesting. It's the most boring final fantasy. Let's Camping with coleman and winnebago crusin down the street in my 64

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert
Zestiria is my personal worst Tales. After every tales game (Legendia included) I could remember parts I liked and I felt good about playing it. I was glad Zestiria was finished and I promptly uninstalled it. I didn't like a single thing about it.

As for the best, I really like Abyss and Vesperia :shobon:

And the last good Final Fantasy was 7. Every one after that was lame. 12 was almost cool.

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert

Endorph posted:

the characters making comments on the new enemies + the enemy logbook comments owned

Not enough to carry the game.

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert
The entire universe is just some MMO.

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert
Ya'll some uber plebs, Witcher 3 is one of the best games every made. Hyperdimension Neptunia and Fairy Fencer don't even come close.

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert
The Xenoblade dub is good. I was sour on it at first but it both grew on me and got better, even if there are still some spots where Rex has to get loud and just can’t do it.

Nia, Morag, Tora, Brigid, Dromach, and Gramps are all good. I don’t think I could play without morag’s scottish accent.

Also I bought a nep. Thanks and god bless.

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert
I want a new phantasy star

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert
I’ve been playing star ocean 5 and uh did they shove an alpha build out the door and charge 60 for it? This game is clearly not finished.

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert
Maybe if Japan stopped naming characters stupid things like EDGE MAVERICK they wouldn't need to get changed.

They should have renamed the dudes in Final Fantasy 15. Dudes name was night king

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert
It aint right

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert
Brooks Cracktackle

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert
Speaking of names, I've been playing Ni No Kuni 2 and going through Goldpaw I noticed some weird names but I just chalked it up to me seeing things that maybe aren't there but then I kept noticing more. There are NPCs in this chinese themed town of dog folk named Ah Chu, Noh Wei, Bao Wao, among others. That seems kinda eh

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert
The Xenoblade 2 localization is fine aside from voice direction and Rex's inability to shout. Why do ya'll gotta get the sweats when things are changed into English but keep the same meaning? They changed names to make them sound more appealing to the widest possible western audience but still took care to make sure they kept the meaning or that it fit in the world. This isn't some Those Who Hunt Elves complete rewrite.

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert
Courage is the magic that turns dreams into reality.

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert
Star Ocean 5 is the first game I ever quit out of and uninstalled out of pure disgust at how bad everything is in it. Long protect Anne mission followed by a boss fight where the boss instantly kills half my party and I can’t revive them without them dying instantly is what broke me. What a bad game.

And I’m a star ocean 3 apologist.

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert
I bought nep action u for a dollar and felt ripped off.

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert
That’s somewhere around 80 points!

Skye, take flight! Flying tenseiken!

Fire consume my enemies! Lambda burst!

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert
Patting a cat on the head is good

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert
Give me a touched up phantasy star 4 for the switch in English please and god bless

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert
Compare phantasy star 1 with its contemporaries Final Fantasy 1 and Dragon Quest 1 and you’ll see it’s so far above what they were doing it’s crazy but it was on the master system so no one cared.

It’s got a decent ( for the time) story, actual characters with personalities, cutscenes, first person dungeons, multiple planets to explore, its good.

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert

That seems like it would make random battles take too long.

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert
I haven’t even dented trails the third. I did Titas flashback then stopped. I don’t like jrpg that takes place all in one dungeon

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

Also you don't need to worry about DQ11s soundtrack at all because from what I've heard the game is REALLY bad. Check out this pretty damning review:

????

This is my character

Dunno why Robert is bad

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert

corn in the bible posted:

It's because there's a story NPC named Robert so you can't name the Hero Robert

That's a dumb reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert

Elephant Parade posted:

not really? having two characters with the same name can get real confusing real fast, assuming they're both relatively major. I guess it's debatable whether the game should outright ban you from using an existing name, but it should definitely give you a warning

I forgot that they never show what the characters look like and never give context about who exactly they are talking to so I can see why two people named Robert would be confusing