Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Reik
Mar 8, 2004
Anyone have any recommendations for solid single player RPGs on Android? I'm playing through Chaos Rings 3 right now and enjoying it, trying to figure what should be next in line.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reik
Mar 8, 2004

Elswyyr posted:

What's a good hidden gem jrpg? I wanna get into a really big and dense jrpg, but I've tried or beaten most of the big blockbuster stuff of the last decade that people recommend. I tried some of the Falcom games, but couldn't really get into either of the translated Trails series.

Have you played The Last Remnant?

Reik
Mar 8, 2004

ExcessBLarg! posted:

The Last Remnant has the distinction of being the only Square title on the Switch to have never gone on sale. It's like they forgot about it.

I'm pretty sure it's only like $20 at least?

I did two full 100% playthroughs of the game when it originally came out, the combat and character/union building are very unique and crunchy.

Reik fucked around with this message at 13:13 on Jul 8, 2021

Reik
Mar 8, 2004

Primetime posted:

Do you think it's worth playing through if I previously made it ~75% of the way through the game before? I bought it years ago on Xbox 360 and made it to some later game boss fight that was near unwinnable for me due to some janky scaling on the Xbox version (I think if you did side quests the game got harder at an exponential pace or something?)

I've wanted to try it again on the pc version, but not sure if I'm better off watching a let's play and calling it a day.

As someone already mentioned, the main difference I'm aware of between the console and PC version is that you don't need to use generic characters anymore, each character in a union can be a unique character.

The game doesn't really track levels, it has what is called a "Battle Rank" which is based on the number of fights you've completed throughout the game regardless of which characters you're using. Monsters get stronger the higher battle rank you are up to a point, and characters don't advance as much if you're a higher battle rank fighting lower level monsters. The game also had an optional superboss if you completed every sidequest, I had an incredibly difficult time completing my first normal playthrough because I didn't optimize my battle rank advancement but I did every sidequest, which is what I assume you and a lot of other people did. On my NG+ playthrough I did a "low BR" run, which means you keep your battle rank as low as possible until you recruit all of the characters you want in your final unions, since they all advance at a significant rate once you do finally raise your battle rank. A low BR run is much easier on NG+ since you can start with strong weapons, but on a normal run as long as you're aware of how BR works you can keep it relatively low to make the final superboss possible. The game isn't one I'd recommend to everyone, but if you are a big rpg fan looking for an obscure crunchy game to sink your teeth in to, it's great.

Reik fucked around with this message at 14:56 on Jul 9, 2021

Reik
Mar 8, 2004

Barudak posted:

The Fast and the Furious franchise needs an Onsen scene

It's called Golden Kamuy.

Reik
Mar 8, 2004
What if we just found people that were fluent in both languages and understood the cultural context of both and paid them to do it?

Reik
Mar 8, 2004

ImpAtom posted:

Hmm, possible, but hear me out.

What if we find those people but then we do an AI script and then hire those people to fix the AI script for roughly 50% of what we'd normally pay them because it's just editing instead of translation.

Yeah but then the script will suck

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reik
Mar 8, 2004

BabyRyoga posted:

You are gonna feel quite silly when I link my "undoubtedly significantly improved with the help of AI" translation patch for WA2 in whatever version of this thread exists a few years from now

But maybe it'll just be a dud that actually isn't improved at all, you won't know until you play it

Yes yes, one day we'll all see, move along now.