Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I CANNOT HELP BUT MAKE THE DCSS THREAD A FETID SWAMP OF UNFUN POSTING
plz notice me trunk-senpai

nessin posted:

That's a poor analogy, because you're comparing an entire industry to a genre of another industry. Not to mention Tolkien has had a mass market revitalization due to the movies. Yeah, I'd expect a journalist who is focused or interested in RPGs to know about Ultima, and ideally any journalist that would be discussing Project E would have that background. However, this is the real world and the gaming industry goes beyond just RPGs.

That's dumb. If someone is a gaming journalist you would think they would be familiar with it's most important works.

Imagine if a film critic had never heard of Stanley Kubrick

vegaji posted:

I think you guys are overrating Ultima's reputation a bit. For us who were raised in the 80s or 90s playing a ton of RPGs, Ultima/Dragon Quest/Final Fantasy were the foundation with stuff like Romancing Saga and Breath of Fire on the relative periphery. Now it's completely different--do you think that even close to half of game reviewers have ever played a Dragon Quest game outside of the new DS stuff, let alone a BoF or SaGa game? In the same way, a lot of people who review FPS games might not know about Wolfenstein 3D. I think you're overrating the historical video game knowledge needed to be a game reviewer.

What the hell kind of lovely standard is this? In any other field, people writing on a subject are expected to know that subject with a reasonable amount of depth. No wonder gaming journalism is a joke.

Amethyst fucked around with this message at 06:15 on May 18, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

TurnipFritter posted:

But why?

Video games are a relatively new, rapidly changing medium. It absolutely occupies a different sphere from film and literature and music.

What a completely arbitrary and meaningless thing to say.

"I'm content to swallow sub-standard coverage from people who don't know what they are talking about. Basically, if journalists read me PR releases, I'm good."

Do you think cinema is a static medium that suffers from having a highly knowledgeable body of criticism?

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

nessin posted:

Yeah, but that isn't an answer to anything. If you should know about Ultima to cover RPGs, then why shouldn't a company talk to someone who doesn't know about Ultima but does cover an RPG? Or, conversely, if everyone covering RPGs should know about Ultima then why don't they? The only answer to that has been "game journalism has gone to hell", but that is an excuse because knowledge of indirect historial events is not a requirement to detail, discuss, or provide general coverage of a product in any industry.

This isn't a matter of a company choosing to talk to an individual or not. It's about a bunch of lazy publications who are content to publish any old garbage, and an audience that isn't nearly critical enough to call them on it. Having writers that don't know what they are talking about is one problem of many, but it's a big one.

Eurogamer is the only mainstream commercial gaming publication I can think of that is worth anything whatsoever.

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

Defiance Industries posted:

If I am a football columnist, who writes on just football, how much do I need to know about professional snowboarders?

We are literally talking about a journalist who interviewed an RPG developer you dunce.

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

TurnipFritter posted:

What I'm saying is I don't expect everyone who talks about movies to have sat through Birth of a Nation or Battleship Potemkin.

Anyone who gets paid to write about movies sure as poo poo better know about those, otherwise they will be writing garbage.

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

TurnipFritter posted:

And why is that? Do they have to reference those two films in every piece of writing they do?

The Birth of a Nation and Battleship Potempkin. The two films that pioneered modern narrative and editing techniques, respectively.

Meh, unimportant. Just hire bobby he likes those matrix flicks.

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

MARTIN SCORSESSE: As a child, I remember going to see films with my grandmother. I remember when I first saw the battleship potempkin, and I lost myself, I was there, in the moment, with-

JOHNNY GAME JOURNALIST: Wait, wait - what movie? I've not seen that one was it at canne this year?

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

pw pw pw posted:

Quick- without comparing video games to another form of media, explain how playing ultima makes any shred of difference to a review of skyrim.

It puts the game in a historical context. Ultima was an open world rpg. The VERY FIRST open world rpg. Many of the structural elements in skyrim were directly influenced by Ultima. With knowledge of this, and rest of the 30 year historical lineage of RPGs that culminated in the release of Skyrim, you can evaluate what Skyrim contributes to the genre, how well it evolves existing concepts, how it could change the rpg landscape etc.

Or, you can just talk about the cool kills and graphics I guess.

The fact that you are a poster on a video game forum and need this poo poo explained to you demonstrates why people look down on gamers. This kind of discussion would never happen in a film, general art, or even a sports discussion board.

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

nessin posted:

And that has what to do with knowing about Ultima? So if a games journalist covers an RPG and knows about Ultima their article will suddenly be better? Sweet, what else can we apply that type of logic to?

Heh, knowlege of a subject could lead to better writing on a subject? What planet are we on, DUMB ILLOGIC WORLD?!

You are a simpleton.

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

Insults on a web forum? Well I never.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

pw pw pw posted:

I don't agree with that though. I had never played a beat-em-up before battletoads, but I could still recognize bullshit when I saw it.

Your opinion is perfectly valid, however If you wrote an article about battle toads and why it's bullshit, it wouldn't be as good as one from a guy who has a great wealth of knowledge about the genre and it's history.

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

Megaflare posted:

Jesus christ, step away from your keyboard and breathe.

Ed:

:rolleyes: Yes, a perfect excuse to act like a petulant child.

Shut up you meta loving bore

Bongo Bill posted:

Ten years isn't that long. There's nothing wrong with a consumer or fan not remembering a game from that long ago, but if your job requires you to know about RPGs, then not knowing what Ultima is is an indication that you're bad at your job.

I agree that if your job is to take a game publisher's press release and rewrite it, then you don't need to know about Ultima, but is that really what we want game journalism to be?

It seems to me that many gamers don't just accept consumer recommendation/PR tracts in place of actual journalism - they expect it.

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

nessin posted:

Do you even realize what you've said here? You're already breaking out of the "Ultima" mold and using it as an example instead of hard line in the sand. How much further do we have to argue over this before you take another step back? I actually agree with you that you should know something about RPGs, but it doesn't have to be the classics. and it certainly doesn't have to be Ultima. Not knowing about any RPG in existence is proof you shouldn't be doing the job, not knowing about Ultima is just a small aberation.

In addition if a person is going to describe an RPG, in their own words formed from their own opinion, they absolutely can't do it without knowing the history of RPGs? How does knowing anything about Ultima prepare someone for being able to talk about the graphic or audio fidelity of a game? Even how they interact with the game, and the features presented in said game? Has the english language degenerated so much that you have to use analogies to games so old they're only conceptually related to teh game you're talking about it to get a point across?

Read the rest of the post, I clearly pointed out it was a stupid comment and Ultima was successful in the exact same post you quoted but conveniently left out of your quote.

An opinion without any knowledge behind it is, by definition, a stupid opinion, and an opinion not worth hearing.

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

pw pw pw posted:

If only there were thousands of other rpg's you might be well-equipped to compare a new title to. It sure sucks for rpg fans that the genre died with ultima 13 years ago.

Good job on being proudly and willfully ignorant about the open world RPG that literally invented the genre I guess.

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

Cityinthesea posted:

I know nothing about Ultima except for the name and that Lord British made himself a character in the game (those were those games, right?). Why the gently caress would I automatically do a better write up against someone who hasn't actually heard of it? I only heard about it like 3 years ago mind you.

Maybe someone didn't know of ultima because he wasn't a PC gamer...? Are you going to get on his case when instead of Ultima, he played Earthbound or whatever?

Then why is he writing about a pc game? That interview is specifically about Ultima VII's influence on Divine Divinity.

And I would expect all paid video game journalists to have knowledge of both Earthbound and Ultima, yes.

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

pw pw pw posted:

I know plenty about ultima, you presumptuous rear end, I disagree with your opinion that video game reviewers need to be as deeply entrenched in history as a film critic because film critics rarely have to review films about elf bowling and matching cakes. Sorry it makes you feel old to think that ultima is no longer relevant to modern games journalism.

So why do you accept ignorance on the part of paid journalists? It is a poor standard for the media you consume. Do you simply not accept that knowledge of a subject leads to more interesting and meaningful writing on the subject?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

TurnipFritter posted:

Because sometimes people are assigned jobs that are outside of their sphere of interest or expertise. It happens.

Which interview are you talking about? The only thing I'm seeing linked is this, and it sounds more like the journalists were invited to talk about project e and (Swen?) happened to bring up that Ultima VII was a big source of inspiration during the discussion.

quote:

While talking about Ultima VII, it unfortunately dawned on me again that I’m really not that young anymore. Apparently half the journalists had never played any of the Ultima games, and several of them had never even heard about them.

Not very surprising considering the quality of work these idiots pump out.