Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sixide
Oct 25, 2004

xX_WEED_GOKU_Xx posted:

Yeah, it looks like Alpha Protocol is the closest I'm likely to get. It's a shame it apparently isn't very good.

I wouldn't say it's bad, but chances are you won't get your money's worth. The writing is some kind of cross between a bad Bond movie and Burn Notice, so you might find it okay. The gameplay is decent, but boss bottles feel like they were ripped out of a 1990s platformer. Level design varies between places that work really well and Time Crisis-esque rail shooter levels that completely suck.

It's the sort of game I'd recommend buying on discount and enjoy once through. It's not terribly long, but multiple playthroughs would be pretty boring even with different decisions and missions to do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sixide
Oct 25, 2004
I recently started playing Wizardry 8 and holy crap it's awesome. It's pretty repetitive but pretty much every fight is at least somewhat challenging. Character improvements/levelling actually feel significant, too. PCs just don't seem to scale in newer games like they used to.

sixide
Oct 25, 2004
Are there any old-school RPGs with random worlds/dungeons? Basically a roguelike with a Wizardry/MM- or even XCOM/Avernus AP-style combat system.

sixide
Oct 25, 2004

Thuryl posted:

Download Daggerfall. May God have mercy on your soul.

I still play Daggerfall, actually. I was hoping for something with one of the aforementioned turn-based combats.

Also in Daggerfall only quests/loot/monsters/generic terrain between cities/dungeons is random, roguelikes have actual random dungeons.

sixide
Oct 25, 2004

andrew smash posted:

I thought that the random stuff in daggerfall was technically procedurally generated but the random seed shipped with the game, so everything was the same between installs and new games, etc? Am I wrong?

I'm not sure, honestly. It could also be assembled manually from prefab segments. Either way, none of it is really random.

It does make me chuckle when I realize Daggerfall had the best leveling system and monster/loot scaling of any of the TES games despite being a buggy shitpile from 1997.

sixide
Oct 25, 2004

niggapolis posted:

It does have the worst combat ever though

Counterpoints: Daggerfall, Morrowind, Oblivion, Fallout 3

sixide
Oct 25, 2004

Stelas posted:

Anyway thanks to this I now want to replay Daggerfall really badly. Getting stuck in a dungeon for fifteen hours is apparently my idea of fun.

Daggerfall with increased resolution, a bit of UI work, and usable dungeon maps would still be an amazing game if released today. The scale of the world is unbelievable.

sixide
Oct 25, 2004
I think the detective stuff was pretty awesome, but the constant tangent quests in the swamp and the overall quest density is just way too much in Chapter 2.

Although, the journal doesn't help you much with the detective stuff. It's pretty confusing and it could probably use some improvement.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sixide
Oct 25, 2004

Levantine posted:

Bugs abound (it's Obsidian) but if you can pick it up cheap and give it a fair shot, it's worth the time to find out if you like it or not.

People always say this, but compared to the competition it's on par at worst. I never had any gamebreaking issues in AP. In ME2 I was getting stuck in walls and forced to reload regularly. Bioware's other stuff is equally bad. Bethesda? Welp.