Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

I'm playing Trails in the Sky for the first time, is there a particularly effective way to build Estelle or am i supposed to just switch her around regularly depending on who else is in my party? Everyone else's ideal builds seem pretty telegraphed so far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

XC2 has one of my favorite soundtracks in ages, at least for the field and town themes. the battle music is just okay.

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

i am setsuna is 50% off on the switch eshop right now, is it at all worth playing or no?

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

atelier at least has the advantage of being one of only like 5 jrpgs on switch so far

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

yeah Octopath is my most anticipated game right now. i would have never expected you could make something so pretty by jamming FF6-era textures into a modern 3d engine but whatever they did it looks stunning.

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

i liked the XC2 localization fine but the dub has some poor direction for sure, lots of awkward deliveries that really needed another take. Nia's actress kinda just steals the show by default due to having the best material to work with and the best accent.

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

Switch version of Atelier basically seems to be Vita quality so far, kinda rough but playable. looks fine in handheld mode but doesn't appear to have any upscaling in the dock so it's pretty crummy on the big screen.

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

When i hear JRPG i think party-based, fixed characters and narrative, and combat systems that are abstracted from the game world to some degree. I'd say Dark Souls fails on all 3 of those.

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

Endorph posted:

edit: also honestly a lot of the atelier dusk games are just cute girls in professional situations having quiet conversations about their future. i guess ayesha gets into some gags in places but escha and shallie are super down to earth, tone-wise. they're honestly more grounded and contemplative than something like persona 5. cant speak for the mysterious games since idc that much about them, and the arland games are pretty broad comedy, but. imo i can totally get not jamming with neptunia but i think its a little closeminded to write off anything with a cute female protagonist by assuming it'll have that exact same kind of tone.

idk about the other mysterious games but lydie&suelle is very much a silly comedy so far, albeit a good one.

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

Motto posted:

Pretty sure this came up already, but how bad is the visual/FPS hit on Atelier L&S switch, particularly undocked since that's the main reason I'd get it there over PS4.

it's definitely closer to Vita quality than PS4 quality. looks fine in handheld but gets exposed pretty badly when docked on a bigger screen, lots of aliasing and blurry textures that become way more noticeable.

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

I think they're a pretty bad way to add replay value to a game if that's the intent. if you can get them all in one playthrough with minor rewinding facilitated by the game, that's okay. I would never replay a 40 hour game to get a 'better' ending, I'll just take the best one I can get when i reach the endgame and look the rest up on youtube.

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Atelier (again): coming back to my own idiocy I still can't figure out how to Battle Mix. Lydie's status screen says "Start a battle with swing, or use a tool to restore HP or MP."

I'm whacking an enemy with my staff on the overworld, which is what I assume the first half actually means, and I unequipped speed stuff from everyone else to make sure she's got the first turn, and... nothing. What am I missing?

again, don't actually care, just want to finish off the Ambitions Journal

Battle Mix is a support ability, she has to be in the back row.

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

Berseria is one of the best written JRPGs I've played which is something I never thought I'd say about a Tales game - I hope it's indicative of the direction they're taking the series and not a fluke.

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

voltcatfish posted:

I was hoping Octopath would have eight different stories but that's not looking like the case

not sure where you're inferring this from, all the previews/descriptions they've put out so far say that it's 8 different stories.

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

catalysts are what make the system go from good to great so I'm surprised to hear they're new in this one.

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

Octopath Traveler is the same director/producer as Bravely but a different studio iirc

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

Chaotic Flame posted:

Octopath has jobs? I haven't been following too closely. I thought the eight plus others(?) were set with their abilities.

The eight characters are each locked into their primary job but you can spec them into a secondary one complete with outfit change.

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

Motto posted:

yeah it owns

I'm currently on the final chapter of the 2nd game and have enjoyed it but i don't really like how all the exploration / seeing new places is frontloaded into the first game and all the good story beats are backloaded into the 2nd game. is cold steel the same or does it mix this up better?

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

corn in the bible posted:

Tales of Berseria

This would also be my answer for best JRPG on steam but i assume by PC interface they mean mouse+keyboard and I would not want to play this game without a controller

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

to be honest i think good mouse&keyboard controls + modern graphics rules out pretty much the entire JRPG genre, these games do not have big graphics budgets other than like final fantasy and they are not developed with PC gamers in mind because PC gaming is very niche in Japan.

if you're patient, Dragon Quest 11 might be an option later this year, that game looks good and is turn-based.

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

trails in the sky the 3rd is not what i expected so far, it's like they threw their formula in a centrifuge and separated the gameplay and story completely.

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

Is there a better version of FF4 these days than the original SNES one?

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

presumably the start of each story will be told in flashback until you get to the point where that character can free roam

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

switch will absolutely inherit the Vita's trashy anime game pipeline going forward

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

The Xenoblade games poo poo on the idea that anime RPGs can't look really pretty. Tales just has bland art direction, i don't think the size or resources of the studio are entirely to blame there.

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

babypolis posted:

Considering how popular steampunk is these days I wonder why no one else has tried an rpg in a similar vein. the industrial revolution is just an unexplored setting in general

Industrial revolution + magic is practically the default setting for JRPGs.

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

really enjoying Trails of Cold Steel so far, this feels like a straight upgrade to Trails in the Sky in every department other than the main protagonist. I think the school setting, as cliche as it is, is a much better fit for the predictability and world-building style of these games.

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

i'd rather be a military student than a loving cop

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

Evil Fluffy posted:

Shining in the Darkness and the Shining Force games were all in English. Do you mean the latest game in the Shining series?

I assume they mean the Shining Resonance rerelease since that's out in a month or 2. I'm curious about that one too though from the trailers it just looks like an even campier Tales game.

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

they should just give firis another game, she deserves better

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

I liked the Sky trilogy fine but i'm playing Cold Steel now and this is the most engaged I've ever been with a "slow-paced" JRPG I think, so yeah give it a try. Even in the wind-up chapters there's a lot of mysteries/plot-threads being established whereas Sky FC didn't really give you a good story hook until well into the game.

Also every character in Cold Steel seems interesting and viable whereas I pretty much just used variations on the same party for all of the Sky games because there were always 2 forced characters and then I always had Kloe because Lichtkreis felt irreplaceable.

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

hostess with the Moltres posted:

Thanks for the help. I wanted to get a game for Sunless Sea and while I was put off by how I would need to get 2 more games to see the complete story, I have heard tons of good things about trails so hopefully it'll be worth it.

For what it's worth you technically only need to play the first two to get the 'complete story' since Sky 3 is a separate follow-up story. 3 is really good though so if you don't bounce off the series you'll want to play it anyway.

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

Trails games aren't really about the plot so much as they're about the world building and character drama. The plots are constructed out of a predictable gameplay loop and every character has extreme plot armor so they always feel kinda low stakes even when serious stuff is happening. It's not a negative, it's just the formula. They're cozy games, not thrillers.

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

yeah the egypt assassins creed rebooted it gameplay-wise as a witcher 3 wannabe, this is just the 2nd of those

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

Tales games are heavily discounted on steam today if anyone hasn't played Berseria yet

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

yeah that's probably the biggest thing that gets spoiled if you play cold steel first

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

TitS 1 on harder difficulty doesn't seem interesting since itd just increase the # of fights where cheesing it with earth wall is the only good strategy

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

Sky 3rd was the only one where it felt like physical damage didn't fall off after the early game. cold steel balances the magic better than any of the sky games which all just turned into spamming soul blur/shadow spear/whatever the full screen black spell was called.

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

Cold Steel makes crafts really strong which is better imo because it makes the characters much more differentiated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

I loved cold steel 1 but yeah that final chapter is very weirdly paced and 2 feels a lot messier so far. Still enjoying it but it's not making me want to do every side quest and spend hours talking to NPCs like the school life sections of 1 did.

really my main problem with 2 so far is it's feeling like a repeat of Sky SC whereas CS1 felt different from the Sky games in a good way.

Tales of Woe fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Jun 18, 2018