Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Looking for an RPG I can play on my 3ds. Beaten chrono trigger a few times already, loved it to death. I can put up with a middling amount of jrpg anime tropes, but I'm concerned something like Persona might be too much.

I loved Chrono Trigger, FF6, Mario RPG and FFTactics, and I hated FF7/8 and Tactics Advance. Played the first mario & luigi, thought it was alright, but I was sad it wasn't more like Mario RPG. Earthbound was cool but I could never get myself to finish it.

I've done 2 pokemon games (blue and ruby) - not sure if I need to play any more, but I might be convinced. I'm the type of person who occasionally plays roguelikes but never seems to be satisfied with them. I'm also a sucker for cute spritework, which may be why I don't seem to respond well to games without combat sprites for your characters (like earthbound, for instance)

Any suggestions? I dont know much about dragon quest or the persona series, and I'm wary of the FF remakes (pretty lukewarm on the bits of ff4 and 5 i played on an emulator).

Oh, and I can't stand nomura. I've heard so many good things about TWEWY but his character designs make me want to cut my eyes out.

Ignite Memories fucked around with this message at 07:47 on Mar 27, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Wait, I thought ruby was the second gen... Maybe I'm confused. My starters were squirtle and mudkip.

Oh, and piplup!

Apparently I completely forgot that I played through pearl.

Is silver/gold still worth playing if I went through pearl?

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Cool, thanks guys. Radiant historia looks enough like chromo trigger to rope me in. I'll see if I can find it somewhere.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Went out and traded disgaea for PKM soul silver today. I was really concerned for a minute, but the game gave me some shoes before too long. They didn't have any copies of radiant historia, which made me a little sad.

I did see a used Revenant Wings... Was that game any good? Would it be lost on me without having played through ffXII?

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Sakurazuka posted:

This might actually be the stupidest reason I've ever heard for not liking something.

No, he's right, there's a point where it's just embarrassing to be displaying certain things on your television, and final fantasy crossed that line ages ago. His example is just a microcosm of final fantasy being way up its own rear end.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

ImpAtom posted:

I just honestly don't get how people feel this way about specifically FF and not like 90% of video games. No level of silly names on a menu can match, say, the awkwardness of any loving time an Asari is onscreen in Mass Effect. v:shobon:v (That said, there's certainly things which I consider far beyond the norm, like say Star Ocean 4.)

Mind you, I thought FFXIII-2 was really not fun for other reasons so I don't think it's a big loss. It's boring as gently caress in a way that even FFXIII wasn't and the main cast is completely awful in every way.

See, though, Mass Effect is another PERFECT example of a series that crawled up its own rear end. It's rife with creepy fanservice and camel-toe-having robots.

FF13 is guilty more for making up a bunch of really dumb poo poo, and expecting you to take it seriously. Like the whole fal'cie thing.

Ignite Memories fucked around with this message at 17:20 on May 8, 2012

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

ImpAtom posted:

I honestly don't get this. FF13 was badly executed but what the hell did you expect? That they make up a fantasy world where you're expected to laugh at everything? "A world where god-machines rules everything and impose geas on humanity to make them serve and obey" isn't particularly a bad concept, it was just badly executed. The exact same concept better executed would be a pretty interesting story.

But what can 'badly executed' even mean, if not 'they just handled the whole thing extremely poorly'. Y'know? Badly executed means they just did it wrong.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Ookay, then I guess we... agree with each other?

I think most FF games would be a lot better if they were rewritten 3-5 times. Or just loving edited.

edit: anyway, I'll shut up now.

Ignite Memories fucked around with this message at 17:41 on May 8, 2012

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Quick- without comparing video games to another form of media, explain how playing ultima makes any shred of difference to a review of skyrim.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

The White Dragon posted:

Breadth and depth of experience. If you're a professional RPG video game reviewer and you've only ever played FF13 and JRPGs released after 2009, then your review of Kingdom Hearts 69/420 Mickey Gets Graphically Anally Penetrated On Screen is going to be loving glowing because you don't know what a good video game is like.

I don't agree with that though. I had never played a beat-em-up before battletoads, but I could still recognize bullshit when I saw it.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

If only there were thousands of other rpg's you might be well-equipped to compare a new title to. It sure sucks for rpg fans that the genre died with ultima 13 years ago.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Amethyst posted:

Good job on being proudly and willfully ignorant about the open world RPG that literally invented the genre I guess.

I know plenty about ultima, you presumptuous rear end, I disagree with your opinion that video game reviewers need to be as deeply entrenched in history as a film critic because film critics rarely have to review films about elf bowling and matching cakes. Sorry it makes you feel old to think that ultima is no longer relevant to modern games journalism.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Amethyst posted:

So why do you accept ignorance on the part of paid journalists? It is a poor standard for the media you consume. Do you simply not accept that knowledge of a subject leads to more interesting and meaningful writing on the subject?

I'm arguing that there is a broad enough selection of material to be knowledgeable about that missing out on a specific series, even one as genre-defining as ultima, should not preclude the ability to make intelligent observations about a new work.

Should they have heard of it? Sure, I'll even grant that it's a little silly that they haven't. But it's not worth firing them about. You can still make valid observations about a convention that you're not prepared to trace back to its infancy.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

None of the characters actually matter anyways, all you're unlocking is accents.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

My friend bought me hatoful boyfriend for my birthday. I'm pretty sure I hate him now.

After half an hour of playing it I hate my life. I know it's supposed to get SUPER WACKY and CURVEBALLZ but is the payoff worth slogging through a japanese high school dating him?

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

The grammar of that title really pisses me off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

no, no you did not.