Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

I really want to play an RPG (preferably jRPG) with a setting outside of the standard fantasy fare. Can anyone recommend some? I've already played all the FF's, Xenogears, Xenosaga 1, Shin Megami Tensei 2, Persona 2&3, Grandia, Front Mission 3, Snatcher (not really an RPG), KotOR 1&2, Fallout 2&3, Lost Odyssey, Deus Ex, Septerra Core, SaGa Frontier, Chrono Trigger, Phantasy Star 2, and Star Ocean 2%3.

One of my first Final Fantasy memories is the opening of FFVI with the panorama of the Imperial City; that and FFVII's Midgar really left an impression on me. I think that those two cities were some of the coolest creations in video games, and it was a shame that the player didn't get to explore them more, imo. So I'm hoping someone can maybe point out a game that I've missed that has that kind of setting that you get to explore at some point. But speaking more broadly, have I missed any good higher-tech-than-feudal-setting RPG's?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

Thuryl posted:

Yeah, you're thinking of Phantasy Star Generation 1 and 2

I hope some day these get translated so I can play them. I got about halfway through the second dungeon in PSII and the same for IV and really enjoyed them both, but there was other, newer stuff out that I chose to play instead. I'd love to play an updated version of at least II, though.

Speaking of older games, I just started playing SaGa Frontier for the first time since like 1999. I never got very far in that game either. I remember playing as Lute, getting a full party of characters, going through a dungeon or two, then somehow triggering a story advance and getting thrown in a dungeon with some impossible boss and just giving up after that.

This time I'm starting out as Blue. Can anyone tell me which schools of magic I should choose? Actually, I already chose Rune, but I still have the choice of Light or Shadow because I haven't committed to either of the trial dungeons associated with those schools yet.

Also, how do stat increases work? Is it like FFII where you get gains based on your actions in battle? Can you attack other party member to increase their HP? Any other general tips would be appreciated; I just don't want to use an FAQ because I'll invariably accidentally read about some super secret hidden thing that I have to get and from there it's just a downward spiral to total FAQ-reliance. I can't help it.

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

SaGa Frontier is the only other game with prerendered CG backgrounds that Square released around the same time as FFVII, and it has the same unpolished and inconsistently scaled but creative, varied and detailed artwork. And there's so much of it. I really like the different moods evoked by the different regions, and even though the story, characters, and NPC interactions are minimal, the world(s) still feel vibrant. Plus the battle system is fun. I liked the Gameboy Final Fantasy Legend (aka SaGa) games, and Frontier is really just an evolution of those.

Speaking of which, has anyone ever played any of the SNES Romancing SaGa games, especially 3? Is it worth a try?

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

Do bosses and/or random battles scale with ability levels? I'm going after the first rune in koorong as Blue and the big bugs that jump on you in the treasure room literlly stomped my party, so I went back for some equipment and fought some on the way back, and now it seems like the bugs have more hp than before.