Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cisneros
Apr 18, 2006
A friend lend me a PS2 with some games, like the Personas, but I found myself playing Valkyrie Profile 2 the most. The story is not good at all(I'm not expecting a good plot from an RPG at this point, actually), but I liked the combat system and it was fun to break(I figured early that the whole plot was a chain of backstabbings, so I just powerleveled the main character to the point it was pretty much oneshotting bosses, but then I lose her against the final boss :(). Anyway, are there more RPGs have that kind of "active" battle system? I saw some of the first VP, it doesn't look that similar, would it still worth playing?(I've heard it's much better, but again, I'm not too worried about the story)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cisneros
Apr 18, 2006

Xythar posted:

Define "active". You could try Resonance of Fate which is by the same people and shares some similarities, for one.

The combos and how positioning affects damage, among other things. Yeah, I liked Resonance of Fate too, but mostly I'm trying to catch up to some PS2 era games that I might have missed since I didn't play that much back then and didn't have a PS2.

cisneros
Apr 18, 2006

softcorps posted:

Saga Frontier 2 (PS1)
This wasn't an A-list game but I'm going list it simply because the story was one of the most memorable. You start off as Gustave, successor to the throne, in a world where Anima (magic) prevails. However, he fails to take the throne for certain reasons and in doing so, inadvertently seeds what is essentially a tsunami of change in the way his world works. Despite its fantasy trappings, the story always remains believable, and very human. At least from what I remember, you never really run into idiotic plot twists like "Oh I guess our Guardian Forces give us amnesia and we in fact knew each other since we were kids but didn't remember it until now."

Gustave's (and his successors) storyline also intertwines with that of the relic hunter Wil Knights' (and his successors). Plot points aren't always explicitly spelled out though, so you kind of have to piece them together and use your imagination at some points.

Combat should be pretty familiar to SaGa fans, and is fairly easy to pick up even if you've never played a SaGa game. However, it's really the story and presentation--the pretty watercolor art and well-composed score--that really make it worth playing at least once. Difficulty tends to be uneven though, so I recommend consulting a play guide or something occasionally so you don't screw up your progress.

btw, thanks for that Ogre Battle 64 PC conversion link. It looks incomplete and has somewhat high reqs (Win7 + Shader 2.0), but I may have to chat that guy up so he at least knows there's outside interest for it.

drat, this thread's going to keep me busy for a while.

Saga Frontier 2 was weird, it's like someone complained about how open ended part 1 was and decided to make it as closed as possible. But yeah, the story was nice.