Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

aas Bandit posted:

I really enjoy first-person RPGs--something about it really pulls me into the game a lot more. Morrowind is one of my all-time faves, and I've played and enjoyed the other Elder Scrolls games, and right now I'm playing through Dark Messiah of Might and Magic for a second time.

I played it when it first came out, but had kind of forgotten in the last few years how awesome and fun it is, and I'm really enjoying going through it again. It has some weak spots (VO, overall story is sort of cliched, occasional glitchy AI and slightly iffy game mechanics at times), but the environments are cool and the combat is fun, and I'm enjoying trying out some different directions in character development this time around. I highly recommend it (available on Steam).

Can anyone recommend other first-person RPGs that I might have missed?

If you like Elder Scrolls games, do yourself a MASSIVE favor and install the Nehrim mod for Oblivion. I'll let that page do the convincing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy
Has anyone played Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky? It seems pretty interesting, and the battle style looks neat from the trailer.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

The Black Stones posted:

Infinite Space was a pretty loving awesome Sci-Fi JRPG on the DS. I really hope they make a sequel. It needs one so bad.

Playing it right now. 38 hours in. What do you wanna know?

Hah, 38 hours in like it isn't a big deal. You getting pretty close to beating it with that many hours in? I was curious what other RPGs it might compare to, and what makes it unique amongst other games.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy
Oh cool a jrpg/wrpg debate.

Anyway, thanks for the mini review of Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky earlier. I am having a lot of fun with it. It's interesting to have a grid battlefield where it's not obvious how far you are from something like in FFT.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

casual poster posted:

How do you guys find the time to play through your RPG's? Ever since I got a fulltime job, girlfriend and started working out my gaming time (for rpg's atleast) has gone down to about a hour a day.
How do you guys keep up with it?

I tend to lay in bed before going to sleep and play RPGs on the DS and PSP. It's pretty hard to sit down and play games nowadays with a wife, home, and a kid with another on the way. Fortunately there are a ton of amazing games on the DS and PSP. I am currently playing Radiant Historia (DS) and the new Tactics Ogre (PSP).

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy
drat we need a thread like "Tips for playing old games/RPGs! Spoilers = ban"

I have never beat Xenogears, or gotten past the first disc for that matter. A lot of this information is helpful, but I am sure to forget it by the time I come around to running through the game again.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

casual poster posted:

Thats kinda the reason I made this thread, just for people to ask for help on various RPG's and talk about new RPG's coming out.

Thanks for the xenogears advice guys, not going back to get the ring since it seems it wouldn't be able to help me all that much.

Ah that is true. I thought I was in the Final Fantasy thread for a minute. I might have to start replaying the game sooner than I thought.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Morpheus posted:

The Penny Arcade Adventures is a great couple RPGs that clock in at about 15 hours each, but they stopped making them after the second :(.

Woah now, they each took 6 hours for me. 15 hours might be a little much.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy
Has anyone played Chrono Trigger: Crimson Echoes? Hopefully it's kosher to discuss, being a rom hack and all. I thought there was a C&D slapped on the project a long time ago, but apparently that was faked to generate publicity? It released at the beginning of this year. Any thoughts on if it's worth checking out or not?

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

bewilderment posted:

Fire Emblem, FF Tactics (both PSX and Advanced). Strategy games where you have a team full of unique little scrubs (so, not Advance Wars where everyone is expendable) that you turn into a well-honed killing force.

What other games like this are there? I'm aware of X-COM but honestly it feels a little too difficult. I've played one of the Shining Force games but it didn't feel very polished. I've played a bit of the new King's Bounty but the battlefields in that game are small and not really what I want.

The new version is only for PSP, but you absolutely need to play Tactics Ogre: Let us Cling Together. Check it out here: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3385365

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

dis astranagant posted:

What 3 games?

Xenoblade, Last Story, and something else.

(Just joking don't worry.)

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Amppelix posted:

Joking? It really does mean Xenoblade, Last Story, and Pandora's Tower.

Is there really any reason for america not getting Xenoblade if it's already localized anyway?

Oh wow I thought it wasn't serious. There was an article like a week ago that said the EU was getting Last Story/Xenoblade in late 2012 or something. Damnit.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Philip Rivers posted:

Can anyone show me an RPG that has a job system somewhat like FF5/Tactics (barring the obvious)? I've played the Etrian Odysseys and all that jazz, just lookin' for something new.

The new Tactics Ogre on PSP. If you love FFT, you will love Tactics Ogre.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Vrikkian posted:

Gah, this FFT talk is making me want to go and play through the PSP version again. What an utterly fantastic port. Those cutscenes are gorgeous.

Get it on the iPad and play the ultimate version! Good translation, cutscenes, extra jobs and no slowdown!

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Opus125 posted:

What do you guys know about those Eschalon games? All I know is that they're games made in the spirit of old school RPGs. Can't find any major discussion about them though anywhere, which is kind of leading me to think they really aren't very interesting or noteworthy games.

If you have any interest in those you should also check out Avadon. It has a 10% discount on Steam right now as a new release, making it $8.99. You can also check out a demo from the developer's website. If you like the oldschool isometric RPGs it is a lot of fun. There are also achievements if that is your thing too.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy
drat, you guys got me excited about replaying Breath of Fire 3. And there is a PSP version? Sold. Is there any reason not to get the PSP version?

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Healbot posted:

Capcom somehow managed to increase load times compared to the PSX version despite me ripping the game to a stick. :negative:

Well I certainly didn't want to hear that. Is it terrible (read: Every battle action, every time the menu is brought up, etc.)? I may just deal with it to have the nice resolution.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Brace posted:

I bought Witcher 2 and I still plan on playing it one of these days but the first time I started it up (I had downloaded one of the goon saves so I could get some good starting equip) I had a bunch of guys talking about poo poo I had no idea about, knew none of the controls, and had no idea what I was supposed to be doing but that's probably because of that witcher 1 save I had downloaded.

Start it over again. Just a week or two ago it received a huge patch (2.0) adding a ton of neat things, one of which is a very nice tutorial.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

The White Dragon posted:

Hey, has anyone got suggestions for multiplayer action RPGs? Not MMOs, but online multiplayer connectivity poo poo. 4 players would be optimal, but we're just about done with Magicka and we've done Borderlands soooooooo much.

Diablo 3 once it hits on May 15th? 4 players, oodles of loot, and immense fun.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

HondaCivet posted:

Also if you have a Wii then holy poo poo please get to Gamestop or Nintendo.com right now and :siren:reserve a copy of Xenoblade Chronicles:siren:. It's a loving great RPG but its release will probably be EXTREMELY limited so get a copy reserved now. You have until April so hurry!

Please do this. Please. It is one of the greatest jrpgs released in the past decade. Check out the stickied thread in games if you need any further convincing.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

I'm about to get started on the PSP Tactics Ogre game after buying it at launch :v: anything I should know/how pumped should I be

I loved FFT, enough to play it and finish it on PSP with the slowdown problems and iPhone with the wonky controls.

After you drop 100+ hours in to the Tactics Ogre game everyone has mentioned, you should mod your PSP and apply the slowdown fix patch for FFT. It has prompted yet another playthrough from me, and I haven't noticed a single problem in the first few battles. The slowdown is completely gone, and it is glorious.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Philip Rivers posted:

I wish there were more JRPGs that started out quickly. I feel like it's the worst trope in the genre that every single JRPG ever has to start 10 hours early before exciting things happen in the game. I want to play a good JRPG, but getting over that initial hurdle is just so much of an effort that I rarely finish JRPGs that I start.

What are some good games that toss you into the thick of things right away?

I would say play Xenoblade. However, it might be hard to acquire now if you are in the US. If you are interested head to your nearest Gamestop immediately to see if they have any copies left. Any JRPG fan needs to give this game a shot. It's easily one of the best RPGs I have played in the past decade. You can find all the information you need here:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3476727

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

ShadowedFlames posted:

Final Fantasy Tactics: War of the Lions (ported and retranslated FF Tactics). Note that load times may become a problem.

If you have CFW the load times/lag have been completely removed from FFT with an easy patch.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy
Depending on what model of PSP you grabbed you should get custom firmware. It allows you to do fun things like fix the slowdown issues in FFT: War of the Lions. I am posting from a mobile device but if you hit the question mark in this post you can see my link to the fix a few months back. It is absolutely worth it. You can even play SNES and GBA games with custom firmware! There is a whole thread dedicated to it.

I would also strongly recommend the new Tactics Ogre.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Admiral H. Curtiss posted:

Incorrect, you should get it regardless of what model your PSP is.

Agreed, but I thought the latest model was difficult to do. I haven't checked in ages so I would hope it's been streamlined by now. Depends on how much effort he wants to go through!

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Nelson Mandingo posted:

Hey! I'm currently looking for a long-form RPG to play. I recently just completed playthroughs of Dragon Age 2, (yeah I know.) Neverwinter Nights 2 OC, Mask of the Betrayer, and Knights of the Old Republic 2, but I'm still hungry for a long form RPG. Even a JRPG. Something new and I haven't tried before. I've done some googling around but I'd rather have some recommendations.

Some things I'm looking for towards recommendations:

1. Maybe not with a huge spotlight, or western RPG's as I've likely played those. Mass Effect, Dark Souls, Fallout, Final Fantasies, Deus Ex, Skyrim, Lost Odyssey, Tactics Ogre etc.
2. A servicable to good story
3. Relatively recent. Preferably on PC or Xbox, but I've got a PS3 60gb or PSP available and that's cool too.
4. Not Ni No Kuni. Yeah, I know. :doh:

The Witcher 1 and 2? The second looks gorgeous and even has a branching depending on which route you go.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

BadAstronaut posted:

Truly a great weekend on ebay for PSP role-playing purchases, having snagged myself Breath of Fire III, Final Fantasy Tactics and Valyrie Profile Lenneth. That should tide me over for a good long while...

The Star Ocean games were also up for grabs, but I didn't buy those not knowing enough about them, and the prices started to rise a bit much. Is there any kind of rule of thumb where 'if you liked xxxx, you will like the Star Ocean games on PSP'?

I hope you have custom firmware, because you are going to want it to patch out the FFT slowdown.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

BadAstronaut posted:

Yeah I do... what's the story with this? :confused:

Everything you need is here: http://ffhacktics.com/smf/index.php?topic=8490.0

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Mill Village posted:

I put like 20 hours into Oblivion without any mods. Then I found out about Oscuro's Oblivion Overhaul and other mods and I put about 200 hours into it.

And then you discover Nehrim and sink 50+ more.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Saint Freak posted:

Metal Slug SRPG

There's more on Dorito Pope's stream but I'm sure the trailer will be up soon.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DqF0KLsaf6U

Hell yeah this looks great.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Farecoal posted:

Oh so that's why some of the dialogue sounded so hosed up (really fast or stretched out and glitchy) when I played it for the first time a few months ago

Anyway, am I losing out on anything major if I play Xenoblade Chronicles on a totally legitimate Wii instead of the Switch version? I don't have a Switch

You are missing out on some huge QoL improvements, the main one being a more detailed map and better pathing. Instead of running around and hitting blue dots for ages until you randomly get what you need for a side quest, it’ll tell you exactly where the items are. The Switch version also has:

Better graphics
Improved UI
Easier process reconstructing Colony 6
Casual mode
Auto-run
Fashion slots so you can look as rad as you want without sacrificing stats
Cleaner audio/soundtrack

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Snooze Cruise posted:

but here you are now— trying to get some easter egg for bad posting

Probes are just achievements for posting words in the right order.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Inferior posted:

Grandia is an enjoyable series of PS1/2 JRPGs with excellent battle systems that got a HD remaster pack on the Switch a few years back. If you like 1990s adventure anime you might like these.

Moon is a weird and interesting PS1 JRPG about JRPGs. It only just got translated to English last year for the Switch.

Wild Arms 3 is the best game in that franchise, and the only one available for download in the Playstation store. It's a fun post-apocalyptic Western adventure, although the combat is pretty basic.

I’ll give a plug for the Wild Arms games too. They all hold a place in my heart. Absolutely love the music in Wild Arms 1, especially the over world theme heavily influenced by The Ecstasy of Gold. The intro video song has been my alarm tone for years. I would love a new entry in that series.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Absolutely this. The whistle theme in the opening video is *chef kiss*. Also the overworld theme was basically Ecstasy of Gold. Just solid music all around.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

cheetah7071 posted:

I think I would have had a much more favorable impressions of Bravely Default 2 if the game had told you what the boss gimmick was well in advance, so you could plan out a strategy and start gaining JP on it, so you wouldn't be surprised by the boss suddenly telling your favorite jobs to eat poo poo and have to go grind up something new

The game teaches you about chaining enemies and the exp/jp boost that comes with it early in the game. You can hit up the beach area near the first town and max out a job in 5-10 minutes if needed.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Srice posted:

I can't say I ever had to grind in BD2 since you get plenty of jp just going through encounters + the jp orbs you get from the idle game. It's nice that it has all those bonus options for folks that do wanna grind but I did just fine on hard mode without grinding.

Same - the orbs you occasionally find are plenty for getting a huge head start in a job. If you get creative with the plethora of skills there isn't a need to grind.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Clarste posted:

You literally just recommended going to a beach and grinding for 10 minutes. Am I being gaslighted?

I said if necessary, which it isn't. I only used it once when I unlocked an awesome class I wanted the synergies for asap. I was able to max it out in under 10 minutes. It isn't a huge investment in a 50 hour RPG.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Jack Trades posted:

The one with the word "RAT" on her chest has mouse ears.
You can't loving fool me.

I'm the mousetrap piercing

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy
Wild Arms had a weapon with an Irish name, so I look forward to a refresh of that series.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Rascyc posted:

It was confirmed to be a global release. To answer another post - it is 100% a gacha game.

https://www.gematsu.com/2021/08/shining-force-heroes-of-light-and-darkness-announced-for-mobile

Still waiting for the global release on this which will probably never come:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cf54MAqP5jc