Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Beeswax
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Short of requiring players to be moving forward or disallowing all grasping, not just challenged links, I don't think there's much that can dislodge the grindy brace tactics at this point. It's a shame. Oh well, at least there's still plenty of newer/lower level leagues out there that still skate forward :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

I'm glad I'm not a ref anymore. Entering the box from any direction is going to cause more skater/ref collisions.

EvilMoFo
Jan 1, 2006

I sense the only actual positive thing is they can't loving hide the helmet cover anymore.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
But can they have more than one?

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

"Hello alien thoughtbeasts! We murder children!"
~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~

Mr. Powers posted:

I'm glad I'm not a ref anymore. Entering the box from any direction is going to cause more skater/ref collisions.

I think this is going to be the thing that causes a death of a skater or ref.

bgreman
Oct 8, 2005

ASK ME ABOUT STICKING WITH A YEARS-LONG LETS PLAY OF THE MOST COMPLICATED SPACE SIMULATION GAME INVENTED, PLAYING BOTH SIDES, AND SPENDING HOURS GOING ABOVE AND BEYOND TO ENSURE INTERNET STRANGERS ENJOY THEMSELVES
Skaters can already skate clockwise in the ref lane, and can exit the box in either direction. How is this different?

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

bgreman posted:

Skaters can already skate clockwise in the ref lane, and can exit the box in either direction. How is this different?

Have you watched how quickly skaters go when going to the box? They're never going as fast returning, and certainly not nearly as fast when the box isn't involved. I guess in thinking about it, the flip side is that you've only got to worry about half a lap of speed instead of just shy of a full lap, and the average distance to the box becomes about 1/4 lap, rather than 1/2.

bgreman
Oct 8, 2005

ASK ME ABOUT STICKING WITH A YEARS-LONG LETS PLAY OF THE MOST COMPLICATED SPACE SIMULATION GAME INVENTED, PLAYING BOTH SIDES, AND SPENDING HOURS GOING ABOVE AND BEYOND TO ENSURE INTERNET STRANGERS ENJOY THEMSELVES

Mr. Powers posted:

Have you watched how quickly skaters go when going to the box? They're never going as fast returning, and certainly not nearly as fast when the box isn't involved. I guess in thinking about it, the flip side is that you've only got to worry about half a lap of speed instead of just shy of a full lap, and the average distance to the box becomes about 1/4 lap, rather than 1/2.

I've seen recycled jammers skate pretty quick backward, too.

I think with adequate training and strict enforcement of penalties for colliding with officials, it should be fine. I have no first hand evidence with it, but I'm told USARS has worked this way without an epidemic of collisions.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

Well, regardless, I'm glad it's not something I have to deal with.

Beeswax
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
I don't expect it to cause any significant increase in injuries or accidents. Sure there will be the odd incident but as bgreman saidwe already have lots of clockwise traffic in the outside and inside lanes and it's working okay.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Mr. Powers posted:

I skate ref and have had a couple bad collisions.

My local team is going to be scrimmaging the next several weeks so I'll find out pretty quick if it's going to be a problem.

bgreman
Oct 8, 2005

I've been skate reffing during our travel team off-season, but ref turnout at practices are usually pretty low, so I've been mostly on the inside. I've had way more collisions in there (with skaters and other refs) than the few times I've been on the outside.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

bgreman posted:

I've been skate reffing during our travel team off-season, but ref turnout at practices are usually pretty low, so I've been mostly on the inside. I've had way more collisions in there (with skaters and other refs) than the few times I've been on the outside.

I would say it's true there are more collisions on the inside. You've got more people, and there's stuff in the middle, but they're also a lot better in terms of velocity differences, and everyone is, for the most part, going the same direction.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

bgreman posted:

My big ones have all been while opr.

On the inside it's usually just a trip/stumble.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beeswax
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Bumping this just to mention that several Swedish leagues (including Crime City who are currently ranked #13 by WFTDA) are considering cancelling their US tournament trips since they have players who are subject to Trump's travel ban. I figure other European teams are facing the same situation right now.
All the more reason to move all major tournaments to Europe. :v:

• Locked thread