Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Stickarts
Dec 21, 2003

literally

Excellent OP.

Anyone who is lucky enough to be within driving distance of some roller derby should get off their asses and go. A few friends of mine play in the local league (Canadian prairie and my city is only ~200,000 so you can probably find it almost anywhere) so I go and watch them play.

The game can get borderline raunchy, which is awesome. All the girls pick derby names like Clinty Gang Grenous that they go by and can also get pretty intense with the costumes/persona they adopt in-game.

I've been to a few of the after parties and let me just say that any rep derby girls get for being crazy is pretty much spot on. Like I say, it is awesome.

Plus it is actually an exciting sport. Derby is pretty heavily trained - each member has to consistently pass a set of benchmarks before they can even play in a real bout. Otherwise it is just practice, practice, practice.

This makes for bouts of fairly high competence as well. If the girl is actually on the track it means she knows what she's doing out there.

Stickarts fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Oct 14, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stickarts
Dec 21, 2003

literally

It would be a shame if derby went vanilla. Bouts are fun enough as it is, but so much is expressed through the attire that derby really is set apart from other sports. Part of what makes derby so enticing as a fan and, I can't help but imagine, as a player is the entire cult of culture behind it.

• Locked thread