Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
echopapa
Jun 2, 2005

El Presidente smiles upon this thread.

overthefalls posted:

I'm the assistant head ref for the Terminal City Rollergirls up in Vancouver, and we've just joined the WFTDA Apprenticeship program. Honestly, I'm a bit freaked out because this is the big time, basically. I admit, I'm not very up on what's going on with the WTFDA and all the other leagues: I barely have time to keep my own league in check, but this is a big move and it's going to be crazy seeing teams like Oly and Rat City rolling through here shortly!

Did you come to the tournament in Boise? If so, we may have met.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

echopapa
Jun 2, 2005

Redfont posted:

Further edit: Also hey, any name suggestions would be awesome. The only thing I have right now is Waynekiller (painkiller) (because my middle name is Wayne). The first is Joel (I might have used Bazooka Joel if there wasn't already a Bazooka Jolene on the ladies team), and names can play on the word "Meek" for my last name. That's the only thing I can think of to offer in the way of pun material for you at the moment.

If all else fails, just combine any two American Gladiators and you'll be in great shape. Zap Malibu! Nitro Gemini!

echopapa
Jun 2, 2005

When all else fails, just throw tough-sounding words together. I suggest Laserfist Bazooka.

echopapa
Jun 2, 2005

Psychobabble! posted:

Anyone going to/playing in spudtown knockdown this weekend? I'll be playing with SS rodeo, number 55. Hope to see some goons there!

I'm working Spudtown as an NSO. I'm the guy with the goggles.

echopapa
Jun 2, 2005

WFTDA has confirmed that the minor penalty is dead.

I think this will slow down the game even more. If a "minor" track cut results in a trip to the box, blockers will have more incentive to come to a stop and/or run backwards after knocking someone out of bounds.

echopapa
Jun 2, 2005

Do you guys think we'll be seeing more jammers taking rolling starts now that they know exactly when the first whistle will blow?

echopapa
Jun 2, 2005

Running stats for my local team, I've found that about three-quarters of their points come from no-pack situations on power jams.

Is there anyone on earth who really likes watching that?

echopapa
Jun 2, 2005

Rather than look at it as tradition vs. innovation, I try to look at it as what sells tickets vs. what doesn't.

Passive offense may be innovative, but I can't imagine it puts butts in seats. And without butts in seats, leagues aren't going to survive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

echopapa
Jun 2, 2005

space pope posted:

Are games always a blow out? I've been to several bouts in the last few months and during the last two games I left at half-time because it was just a massacre. Two weeks ago was Cincinnati Roller Girls vs. Kitchener (Tri City) where the A-team won 284-125 and the Bteam won 332-97.

I went to another bout this weekend and Cincinnati beat the northern kentucky team 205-127 (bteam) and 420-153 (c team). I understand that it's a competitive game and everything but it's really not all that fun to watch one team get absolutely slaughtered. Especially when Kitchener drove like 7 hours for the bout, I felt bad for them.

I've been to the central kentucky roller girls a couple times and I think they also lost by a wide margin in most games. Don't get me wrong I still like roller derby, maybe it's just a small sample size but it seems pretty lopsided. I also thought it was pretty silly when cincinnati put all their skaters off to the side during a power jam - that wasn't very fun to watch either.

WFTDA's ranking system contributes to non-competitive bouts. If you're not one of the top 25 teams or so, there really isn't any incentive for anyone at your level to play you, so you have to dig up smaller leagues to come to town and get killed.

• Locked thread