Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
huplescat
Jun 8, 2005
Hurrah for derby :D Thanks for making a new thread, I got all sad when I saw the old one was closed.

I'm in training with the Victorian Roller Derby League (VRDL) in Australia, hopefully I'll be bouting next year if I don't manage to injure myself. Any Melbourne goons should come along to a game sometime, they're brilliant fun and now the Southsea (SSRD) league has started bouting there's lots of derby to choose from.

This is from Saturday's SSRD game:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JpUNlJEzhgM

Sailor Mouth Sadie is one tough (and currently very bruised) chick :love:

EDIT: Just wondering, what kind of rankings are used for girls who are yet to hit bouting level in the US and other countries? I just assumed that the star system we use is the same for any WFTA leagues, but now I'm not so sure.

huplescat fucked around with this message at 08:55 on Oct 19, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

huplescat
Jun 8, 2005
Groovy, thanks Ria and Dominion :) It's always struck me that there's not that much difference between yellow and orange so one of them seems a bit redundant. Guess it depends on the league, what they teach at each level and how many girls are going through training though.

huplescat
Jun 8, 2005
:aaaaa:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P2yiBPw1xPQ&

huplescat fucked around with this message at 08:49 on Oct 20, 2010

huplescat
Jun 8, 2005

Aericina posted:

Redfont - I know you were looking at beginner packages and someone had suggested the Sure Grip Rebels. My first beginner skates were Rebels. They were ok, but holy poo poo the toe stops would not stay in the sockets. Anytime anyone lost a toe stop you can be 95% sure it came from a Sure Grip. That aside, the skate seemed to be alright for a beginner but I was ready to upgrade after 6 months.

That drat toe stop jingle still haunts me :argh:

I really liked my Rebels, but heaps of girls I know had trouble with thinner (note, not thin, just thinner) laces ripping the top 2 rubber eyelets. It didn't make them unusable but drat it was annoying. I lost mine in a housefire a couple of months ago and upgraded to Reidell 265's (Wickeds). No regrets, my god, no regrets. The Rebels are ace to learn on as they're ridiculously comfortable and very forgiving, but if I'd known how different the Reidells were in terms of performance and had had the money I would have started on them.

quote:

I suggest you again check out Sin City Skates.

Seconding this. We do heaps of group orders through these guys and they do a great job getting it right and getting it out fast. Although the prices you guys pay for skate gear makes me cry :australia: AUD$630 for my 265's here, US$399 through SinCity and we're almost parity :rant:

I'd hold off on mucking with wheels till you know what kinda floor you'll be skating on and what works for others with a similar build to yourself. I was going to get harder ones as my new skates came with narrow 88a's, but drat I'm glad I held off as I'm now on Sugars due to the crazy slippery floor of our new venue. 93a and wide is probably a really good starting point while you're learning if that's what the skates come with.

huplescat
Jun 8, 2005

WindyMan posted:

But here's the thing: A lot of WFTDA leagues are trying to have it both ways. They want to have the athletic sport and the culture of fun wrapped up into one neat little package called roller derby. You can't have one without the other in sports, since only one team truly has fun: The team that wins.

The thing I'm waiting to see is what happens when the roller derby community comes to this realization.

Wow dude, I can't speak on behalf of any US leagues, but here in Australia I haven't heard of or come across any leagues like that. True, the sport is much newer here so perhaps we haven't had the time to become all jaded and bitter, but in all honesty I don't see it heading that way.

My league is super competitive and one of the most experienced in the country and we still have fun. When it's not fun anymore there's not much point, I don't know of anyone who would disagree with that.

huplescat
Jun 8, 2005

Spookydonut posted:

I too am in Australia and ahahahahahaha. I know a few leagues that are like this already.

Seriously? Well, I hope it doesn't catch on. What state are you in?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

huplescat
Jun 8, 2005
That's ok, I wouldn't expect you to :) I've never met anyone derby related from that side of the country.

• Locked thread