Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Suggested Addition: 'The Pack' is defined as the largest group of in bounds Blockers, skating in proximity, containing members from both teams.

This comes into play with strategy such as one team trapping a single blocker from the opposing team to slow the pack down.

As a fan of the Nashville Rollergirls I would be remiss not to mention how awesome they are, anyone in the local area should attend their first home bout (next season) and in the meantime catch them playing the Oly Rollers on Nov. 5th @ 7:15 via the live stream on DNN.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FBznpPq--5k

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FQY8TIQf74s
Embedded this but you should really watch it in sexy 720p fullscreen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

I don't know enough to help you with equipment Redfont, but I'm sure one of the girls will hit ya back shortly.

As for this weekend: What an exciting tournament, albeit I was stuck in Nashvegas, Nashville kept it close-ish to Oly in the first half but drat if Oly didn't catapult ahead in the second half.

Anyone else watch the live streams? Any comments on that?

Personally I was really hoping for a stream with a lot less streaming/buffering issues especially with how low the quality of the stream was. And the announcing? I had to mute it after a half, I don't know if it was a combination of the stream quality + voices + mics or what but I couldn't take it anymore.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

WindyMan posted:

All things considered, DNN is doing great when you realize they're trying to do all of this on a shoestring donation budget. DNN isn't happy with the problems and is looking on a way to improve on things for next season.
I agree with you. I'm looking at it from the perspective of "how can this sport be grown?" and I think a great way for that to occur is having high quality online streaming of at least the big events like Regionals/Nationals so I hope, and anticipate, that every season this aspect will improve.

Now I'm thinking/dreaming of having a espn/hulu/youtube site level of streaming, and streaming 480-720p. :D

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Dominion posted:

The paid streaming for Westerns was amazingly high quality. The free version was good and very watchable, but the paid one was high enough quality that we streamed it to our HDTV and it was indistinguishable from real TV. Could read names on jerseys and stuff, which I usually can't do when I watch DNN/Justin.tv streams.
That's awesome to hear, I wasn't personally aware of it as I really only intensely follow Nashville currently. I wish Nationals had a paid streaming option and thinking about it a paid/free split on stream quality is a really good solution at least presently. I actually was thinking during the weekend that I would have paid say $5 day/$10 weekend to stream the action in higher quality but then I totally forgot to post about it.

WindyMan posted:

:words:
Bravo to this post.

Dominion in the "kneeling" example you give for football you're missing what I think are some key points. To run out the clock you have to:
A- Have possession.
B- Give up a play (one of the four you're allowed in a series)
C- Give up about a yard (not a big deal but included for completeness)

in exchange you get to:
A- bleed off clock time / force your opponent to call a time out

In derby, as WindyMan said in his post the (theoretically) weaker team in numbers available (due to penalties) can negate at large portion of the penalty time being served by their teammates through inaction. So it doesn't seem fair from a penalty standpoint and from a (casual?) fan standpoint it's boring.

I'm all for teams playing within the rules but as WindyMan said, change the rules.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Dominion posted:

Yeah, I'm sure that both those rules (no-start and taking a knee) will get changed in the next few months at the latest. I don't have a problem with them but a lot of people do.

It's fine to dislike those rules, but that's not all that goes into Slow Derby. A bunch of people literally do not like any playstyle that involves a slower pack, or manipulating the speed and movement of that pack, or god forbid sometimes skating clockwise. They want girls just skating fast and turning left, and to me THAT'S the boring style. You can't see any real tactics going on because everything is going to fast, and it's just a race. It's the old Runaway Pussy strategy, which they made up the destroying the pack penalty specifically to eliminate.
I agree with you that disliking the entirety of slow derby/anything other than fast/turn left is stupid and those people are stupid.

I feel like I'm some sorta Agree-Machine tonight. :)

Related to all of this, can I say that I love the civility this thread has in it's discussions?

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

I'm certainly not wishing injury on any skaters but those poles make it look inevitable (much more than a track without poles). Just my bystander/EMT POV on the situation.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

How are they "cheating"?

Unrelated:

Nashville Rollergirls have a pre-season bout on Feb, 19th @ 6pm.

The Lower Broads vs. Rollergirls of Southern Indiana (Evansville)

Should be a fun bout to satisfy your lust for all things derby and at a cheaper price too so bring your friends who have never been before to check out the action.

As a bonus, I'll be there.*

*This being a bonus is debatable I know.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

WindyMan posted:

I say this in jest. They're hoping for a holdover crowd from the lacrosse game, which has a regular attendance of over 9,000. It'll be cool, regardless.
Whatever it takes to convert the masses to the great sport of roller derby it A-OK in my book.

Electric Cattle prods included.

Redfont posted:

EDIT: Maybe I'm just unclear on the exact specifics, but it looks like here in the beginning there's a lot of overlooked back-blocking.
I'm no ref but from reading this thread/the rules it *seems* to me in my non-professional opinion to be something that isn't called strictly to the rules ala traveling in basketball and holding in football. Sometimes this could be due to difficulty in seeing the penalty committed, other times it's a "well that wasn't too bad/blatant so I'll let it slide for a smoother game".

Am I totally wrong on that refs/players?

tangy yet delightful fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Jan 25, 2011

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Re: The Name Registry

Until it's WFTDA run and mandated within the rules it will continue to be a guideline at best for skaters for all the aforementioned reasons.

Well that's my opinion on it anyway.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

WindyMan posted:

This is the problem. The techniques that are effective are also the techniques that are bad for roller derby's entertainment value. I appreciate smart derby strategies as much as the next guy, but not when they are counter-intuitive to how sports are supposed to work.
I posted your last article to my FB feed hoping for some feedback from the derby girls I'm friends with. Perhaps I should have tagged them in it since I didn't get any responses. I agree with you though, smart derby and fun to watch derby are not currently 100% compatible with each other.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Anyone coming to Nashville for the bout this coming Saturday?

Vette City and Jet City @ Nashville Rollergirls

Semi-Related:
Nashville has a very tough schedule this year compared to last year which doesn't make them look as good in the rankings but hopefully playing these higher caliber teams will help them improve in the long run.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Dominion posted:

Another tiny positive side effect of the no-minors that I noticed is that it eliminates the need to have a big whiteboard and someone using it in the inside track, which frees up a lot of space for refs to move around in there.
The less poo poo in the middle, the easier it is for fans to see the action. Not a huge difference of course but another slight +1 to that change I suppose.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Spookydonut posted:

YIf the skaters want to play like this though, I say we let them. Maybe once their bouts start losing attendance they might change their mind. But if skaters are playing the game the way they want and still making enough money to support it why change things?
Well I suppose if the skaters would rather play under the current rules, which I think we can agree is probably not the best for raising the number of paying fans for derby, than hey fine.

But from the little I know leagues are constantly wanting more attendance so they make more money so the skaters don't have to spend as much on traveling/other derby expenses. So it stands to reason that changing the rules to make the sport more fun to watch is in the majority of the skaters best interests.*

*Of course this is all anecdotal/my opinion.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Dominion posted:

That World Cup is going to be a Dream-Team level massacre, but it would be really interesting to see those skaters working together. Apparently on the first day they're going to split the team in half and play each other, which is about as close to a WFTDA Pro Bowl as we are likely to see anytime soon.

Any idea if this will be streamed?

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

I hope it's kosher to post this link, the Nashville Rollergirls are currently the subject of a documentary being put together by an independent filmmaker, funding is needed. If anyone has any questions I can pass them on and return with answers.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1027635923/official-nashville-rollergirls-documentary

Thanks!

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Just asked, no streaming. :smith:

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Aericina posted:

Totally Twisted - my team is heading your way on the 10th. I won't be in attendance, so do you know of any DNN action happening?
Already responded but also: you should come! No excuse accepted!*

*actually there's plenty of valid excuses I suppose, mainly money :sigh:

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

I think the only factor you forgot to mention is skater weight. A lighter skater will need grippier wheels compared to a heavier skater, all else equal.

I haven't attempted to run the math on ceramic bearings but from my research I would spend money on nice boots and plates and leave the 200 dollar bearings for your last possible bit of improvement.

And of course the most important gear will always be practice and dedication.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Dominion posted:

Dutchland forfeiting to Gotham is a loving travesty.

They should be auto forfeit for the consolation game at least. Has a team ever forfeited in the World Cup or NBA playoffs, NFL? Very pathetic to hear about this.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Dominion posted:

Dolly Rocket just got 4 majors at once and got ejected before the half.

Welp.
Wow. What were the majors?

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Reffing should have been tighter for sure. Current derby is highly imbalanced and until league structure changes are made OR the league get closer in skill level (this tourney had a closer spread than last years) teams need to suck it up and play. Play derby on the track and discuss how to create more competitive matchups off the track.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Jiminy Krimpet posted:

I guess calling it the "Dutchland Rule" should be penalty enough.

Also, regarding the allowance of injury forfeits instead of strategery forfeits, this week's NFL divesmanship was the first thing I thought of. Cynical, I guess, but that's why we're having this discussion in the first place.
Dominion touched on it but I think you'd have to have some sort of medical professional* declare that a team has X number of skaters medically unable to play.

If charter rostered skaters - X < 10(?) then a team can forfeit due to injury.

*This could be EMT, Paramedic, MD, depending on how much money you wanted to spend on trying to cut down in injury cheating.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

WindyMan posted:

Until the front of the pack is more advantageous than the rear of the pack, this is only going to get worse.
Since I know you like to make these kinda posts (I mean that in a good way), what do you think can be done to change that?

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

South Central Playoffs Preview

Nashville plays in less than 3 hours!!

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Mr. Powers posted:

NHRD just bought a used SkateCourt to put down on the world's most slippery floor. Maybe people will want to come play against us now.

What was the floor before? Slippery concrete?

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

WindyMan posted:

By the way, you folks might be interested in this:

http://prorollerderby.com/
:aaa:

Where the hell is someone getting 10K for that? Dayum.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

I've read some on the topic as well and I think it comes down to finding what works for you as a warmup/stretching routine. Not a definitive answer but just what I've experienced personally and also witnessed from 4 years of doing derby EMT stuff.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Jan posted:

What, no one is following the world cup?
Blowouts aren't interesting and maybe that makes me not hardcore enough to say this but I won't be watching any of the matchups.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

I heard the webstream and website suffered from the same issue. "What we're getting more hits than normal while hosting a WORLD cup event? This is shocking!"

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

downtimejesus posted:

Roc City NSOs are baller as poo poo and its totally unreal.
Can you elaborate on this? (serious question)

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Spookydonut posted:

They're mind readers when it comes to relaying penalties and scoring, their clocks are always accurate down to the picosecond.
Ah ok, cool.

edit:

That sucks DTJ. Were you renting the space or did you own it?

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

downtimejesus posted:

Renting, but we just got in there in November.
http://cnyrollerderby.blogspot.com/2012/02/fire-destroys-cnyrds-home.html
Ouch about all the stuff not insured. Glad to read no one was injured though.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

annachromatic posted:

I've just read this entire thread in order to get more educated about roller derby. I've developed an interest in it and have been doing a lot of research to see if it's something I'd like to get involved in. So far, so good.

Though I can't start any sort of commitment until I move in a few months, the thing I'm most nervous about while reading about it is, in fact, the time commitment. I'm wondering how everyone balances derby (which appears to be an excitedly consuming hobby) with the rest of their lives, if they play?
I don't personally play, but being around it I'll comment with my opinion.

Within each league there are generally different levels of teams: Travel/A-team, B-team, and intra-league teams. The intra-league teams can certainly have players from the other teams and sometimes you might have players that play on both B and A team rosters. But anyway in general the more time and effort you put into derby the better you will be and as a result you will play on a higher level team. So barring naturally gifted athletes at the sport this means the A-team players dedicate the most time/effort and the B-team, intra-league, etc players dedicate less time/effort.

tl;dr You can devote what time you decide and fit into the corresponding niche within the overall league.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

the yeti posted:

I can't help but think that'd be almost the worst thing that could happen (monetizing it, that is)
Good and bad will come from it (I know I'm stating the obvious here). But unless derby skaters want to continue to spend lots of their own money to fund everything vs. getting paid to do what they love I think increasing monetization is inevitable.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

WindyMan posted:

:words:

Outside money coming in is indeed inevitable. But it's important that that money is coming from people who want to see the sport grow properly and stay legit all the way up to the pro ranks or national television, not turn the game into another TV ratings cash grab like with Rollerjam.
My dream is to get enough money to have some outside money with which I can profit in a honorable way while furthering derby. So in reality I'll just keep buying season tickets and inviting friends to come out.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

I think I took that survey. For no good reason I don't enjoy watching men's roller derby. They look weird on skates to me? I dunno like I said not logical at all.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

scorpiobean posted:

I'm not sure about jammer on jammer, but it doesn't seem advantageous for a jammer to go backwards just to force the other backwards. I don't know what the situation was for Bay Area/Rat City.
It can be a situation with running off penalty time to get your blockers out, or simply to run the clock down if you have the lead. There are probably others but just a quickie off the top of my head.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

No idea on the packages or Aussie money but I think nice pads and helmet and cheaper skates are the way to start. My reasoning being you'll be falling a lot and before starting out you don't know what type of more expensive skate setup you really want.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

HPL posted:

I hate to say it, but they're probably not going to change it because the top teams are profiting hugely from it.
Nothing I have seen indicates to me that the top teams will cease to be the top teams because of rule changes. Margins of victory might narrow but overall the top teams will stay at the top due to a concentration of skill that will win out regardless of the ruleset.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

echopapa posted:

WFTDA has confirmed that the minor penalty is dead.

I think this will slow down the game even more. If a "minor" track cut results in a trip to the box, blockers will have more incentive to come to a stop and/or run backwards after knocking someone out of bounds.

I'm hearing that *maybe* only cutting in front of one skater that knocks you out, unless it was at the front of the pack, won't be penalized.

But this is not 100% by any means. Also I'm still in favor of Windyman just re-writing the rulebook pretty much as he sees fit.

• Locked thread