Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

It's kind of a pithy answer, but my general rule is to, although it doesn't make 100% sense with the setting, just give them their stuff back.

Given the choice between sticking to the setting conceits and having to deal with a player or two hating their character, I'll ditch the setting.

Of course, I also work with them during chargen to make sure they don't invest a huge amount of points in things that could be irretrievably lost, but really it's just a case of my game always assuming that you're going to have the basic stuff on your character sheet. If there's some sort of plot thing, like a super one of a kind gun or something, then yeah, you lost it on earth, sorry.

long-ass nips Diane fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Jun 12, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

Rolled a 1 on the random encounter table, didn't you?
I'd like to hear any actual play experiences people have had with this issue though. Has it come up yet in your game?

Kire
Aug 25, 2006
Despite all the games I've played I'm actually planning on having our very first re-sleeving experience in the next session, as the characters use special made morphs to infiltrate a Venusian exo-planet. Previously the campaigns were so short that death was the end, or people decided to make new characters just to try out something new.

To address your questions: Insurance should cover the same morph they have, unless they have a unique or custom made morph. As a GM just look up the insurance rules and "sweeten" it if you want, although I think it's already pretty forgiving.

Don't forget about rep: when the character accumulates rep that allows them to ask for higher level favors, once they get around 60+ (which shouldn't be a problem) in multiple social circles, they can pull in some favors to get quite a lot of stuff back in 1-3 months of game time.

I noticed a problem with the Rez points. My GM awarded us 4 Rez for doing a bunch of stuff, and I wanted to increase my throwing skill. It would have cost me a tremendous amount of Rez to increase my throwing skill from 10 to something decent like 50. BUT, I could spend a small amount of rez to raise my g-rep to obscene amounts, then use that new rep to call in a "favor" to get skillware implants and a skillsoft:throwing. Investing in rep seems to be the best bang-for-your-buck as a player, especially since it survives death because its so ephemeral.

clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

Venusian exo-planet? What do you mean by that?

Sinatrapod
Sep 24, 2007

The "Latin" is too dangerous, my queen!

clockworkjoe posted:

Venusian exo-planet? What do you mean by that?

A planet outside our solar system which happens to have Venus-like properties, I assume.

clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

Sinatrapod posted:

A planet outside our solar system which happens to have Venus-like properties, I assume.

I thought he meant an exo-planet accessed from some hidden gate on Venus.

Kire
Aug 25, 2006

Sinatrapod posted:

Correct - Vohaul from Gatecrashing.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
I have to admit, geeky references slid into splatbooks always make me chuckle. http://spacequest.wikia.com/wiki/Sludge_Vohaul

clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

Idea for a EP game: Based on this article - http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/africaandindianocean/libya/8349414/African-mercenaries-in-Libya-nervously-await-their-fate.html

All PCs are infugees - given a chance to resleeve as 'security guards' for a hypercorp on an exoplanet - no skills required! Easy work! Free morph!

when they sleeve into a case morph, they are given guns, skillware with kinetic weapons and tactics and told to shoot protesting colonists on an exoplanet. Turns out that the hypercorp in a spectacular case of bad management decided to cut costs when putting down an insurrection on the exoplanet. Let's use infugees in cheap morphs because that's way cheaper than ultimate mercenaries!

Due to the piss poor management, there are chances for the PCs to defect. Or turn the tides in favor of their corporate masters. Then another gate is discovered that leads to the Fissure Gate (the one held by the autonomists)

No matter what side the players took, I would set it so that they would have had fabbers but very few blueprints available. In order to get new gear, they would have to acquire new blueprints. They would make good macguffins and treasure at the same time.

Can you say proxy war?

narfanator
Dec 16, 2008
Clockworkjoe: I like it! You get a strong opportunity to go and do some civilization-building, which is rarer in games. Protip: What out for your "plot surface area" getting to large; basically, if you have three gates, you have three choices, and the GM needs three things. If you have a hundred gates, you have a hundred choices, and how does the GM populate those? The game will change at that point, and may not be one you enjoy playing or running. (Doesn't make it bad or good, but it's a different kind of game)

Of note, DaveB of RPG net has started his Eclipse Phase Actual Play: http://forum.rpg.net/showthread.php?580741-Eclipse-Phase-The-Alpha-Team

If you haven't read his APs before, do eeet. You won't regret it, unless you were supposed to be doing something else at the time.

Kire
Aug 25, 2006
I had fun running the first part of the adventure I wrote, last night. My group's first experience with resleeving went quite smoothly.

Unfortunately things got a bit boring where I had left the plot intentionally open-ended. I was expecting my group to really try and wreck stuff more, following the old saying that no plot survives first contact with the players. Unfortunately my plot survived too well, so now I need to throw in a few fights or something to spice it up.

I'm trying to encourage them to use their skills more, and in more unorthodox ways. The skill sheet has so many possibilities in it, I would hate for them to only use a handful.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

narfanator posted:

Clockworkjoe: I like it! You get a strong opportunity to go and do some civilization-building, which is rarer in games. Protip: What out for your "plot surface area" getting to large; basically, if you have three gates, you have three choices, and the GM needs three things. If you have a hundred gates, you have a hundred choices, and how does the GM populate those? The game will change at that point, and may not be one you enjoy playing or running. (Doesn't make it bad or good, but it's a different kind of game)

Of note, DaveB of RPG net has started his Eclipse Phase Actual Play: http://forum.rpg.net/showthread.php?580741-Eclipse-Phase-The-Alpha-Team

If you haven't read his APs before, do eeet. You won't regret it, unless you were supposed to be doing something else at the time.

I think what Clockworkjoe is talking about the newfound gate is in the hands of rioting colonists, who can link up with the powerful Titan autonomists. The same people who would love to help people like the colonists. They would be the NATO in Clockworkjoe's "Libya" analogy, who could deploy overwhelming firepower and rout the hypercorp's imported proxy soldiers.

clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

Young Freud posted:

I think what Clockworkjoe is talking about the newfound gate is in the hands of rioting colonists, who can link up with the powerful Titan autonomists. The same people who would love to help people like the colonists. They would be the NATO in Clockworkjoe's "Libya" analogy, who could deploy overwhelming firepower and rout the hypercorp's imported proxy soldiers.

Exactly. Each side in the civil war has access to a gate so both can get reinforcements and supplies. Of course, the supply chain would be erratic at best - the hypercorp has weigh the INSANE costs of opening a gate against the benefit of reclaiming the colony while the autonomists are erratic by nature.

This would lead to heavy use of improvised/jury rigged weapons and equipment. Fabbers can only do so much so fast. Think of the EP equivalents of this http://www.theatlantic.com/infocus/2011/06/diy-weapons-of-the-libyan-rebels/100086/ and http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jCyRBUAEneM

Kire
Aug 25, 2006
On p. 74 in Gatecrashing they mention Templeton's world, a Planetary Consortium colony that defected to the Titanian Commonwealth. I'm using that world in my current adventure as a starting point for the group to do their gatecrashing ops that they don't want to involve Love and Rage collective in (they're the group that controls Fissure Gate).

clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

I've been playing in a EP campaign. It's great so far - we saw some NPCs that died horrible deaths early on. Then later, we met one of them disguised as a low level employee on a space station but secretly enslaved by the Nine Lives criminal cartel. He (well now sleeved in a female morph) was ordered to kill us with an explosive trap when we entered an elevator but he let us pass as long as we told him what his last words were. I had eidetic memory so I could remember what they were. Pretty freaky.

Bot 02
Apr 2, 2010

Dude... Did my plushie just talk?

quote:

I'd like to hear any actual play experiences people have had with this issue though. Has it come up yet in your game?

I had it happen to me in a session I played, I was an assassin-character in an expensive ghost morph with several implants such as poison glands, skillwares, enhanced reflexes, etc. Got killed in a zero-g ambush and had to spend the remainder of the session in a splicer, feeling quite useless. I guess it was partly my fault for making a character that was so morph-dependent, though.

Partly with this in mind, I want to try to run a game where the players are given around 800 cp and told that they can only spend it on ego and skills, no morphs or gear. Then at the start of the game, they will be introduced to some scenario where they are dumped into some low-grade morphs and with minimal gear, with the ability to obtain upgrades as the game progresses. Hopefully this would lead to a game where characters aren't completely reliant upon/attached to their morphs, and morph changing would be a bit more common.

clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

By default, characters are like that - you have to spend 700 points on skills.

Bot 02
Apr 2, 2010

Dude... Did my plushie just talk?
Yeah I know, I was thinking more about whether or not it would work as a campaign. The issue is of course that it puts a lot of restrictions on what characters the players can make, but I'll discuss it with them and see how they feel about it.

Kire
Aug 25, 2006

Bot 02 posted:

Yeah I know, I was thinking more about whether or not it would work as a campaign. The issue is of course that it puts a lot of restrictions on what characters the players can make, but I'll discuss it with them and see how they feel about it.

There's still quite a bit of room though even if they don't know anything about the morphs they'll have. More points for rep after all!

Mile'ionaha
Nov 2, 2004

I wrote a one-shot and ran part of it here on the forum. I could upload my notes, if you want.

clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

the more I think about it, the more it seems that EP doesn't have good campaign rules yet. I mean - characters are only supposed to get an average of 1 point per game session (4-7 points for 3-6 game sessions) and the rules don't really discuss issues of losing equipment/morphs from death. Not to hard to houserule though. My EP GM has given us a death fund - we have about 200k credits as a group fund - but considering how expensive good morphs, gatecrashing and travel are, we have to police our spending.

Kire
Aug 25, 2006

clockworkjoe posted:

the more I think about it, the more it seems that EP doesn't have good campaign rules yet. I mean - characters are only supposed to get an average of 1 point per game session (4-7 points for 3-6 game sessions) and the rules don't really discuss issues of losing equipment/morphs from death. Not to hard to houserule though. My EP GM has given us a death fund - we have about 200k credits as a group fund - but considering how expensive good morphs, gatecrashing and travel are, we have to police our spending.

But can't you just "sell" them a better insurance policy, that covers whatever morph they've got? I think the default policy is already a good starting point.

quote:

I wrote a one-shot and ran part of it here on the forum. I could upload my notes, if you want.

Please do, that would be fun to read!

Dedhed
Feb 27, 2005
I read eclipse phase a while back. It was cool but some elements never really clicked.

Then I read Accelerando by Charles Strauss. Which helped me understand some of the concepts they were talking about. Particularly the Hypercorps, which I initially filed under the "Oppressive Cyberpunk Megacorps" archtype in my mind. And they really aren't that.

Forking was also something I never really "got" until I read this book.

Here's the full and legal (CC License) text of the book.

http://www.antipope.org/charlie/blog-static/fiction/accelerando/accelerando.html

Throughout the text he has these indented excerpts that are pretty much pure history. If you want a bunch of setting ideas to mine you can just read them.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Dedhed posted:

I read eclipse phase a while back. It was cool but some elements never really clicked.

Then I read Accelerando by Charles Strauss. Which helped me understand some of the concepts they were talking about. Particularly the Hypercorps, which I initially filed under the "Oppressive Cyberpunk Megacorps" archtype in my mind. And they really aren't that.

Forking was also something I never really "got" until I read this book.

Here's the full and legal (CC License) text of the book.

http://www.antipope.org/charlie/blog-static/fiction/accelerando/accelerando.html

Throughout the text he has these indented excerpts that are pretty much pure history. If you want a bunch of setting ideas to mine you can just read them.

If you're looking for another book that handles some of the concepts of Eclipse Phase, read Altered Carbon by Richard K Morgan. It only deals with sleeving technologies but it's an interesting look at what the world would likely have been if the TITANS hadn't hosed it up. Honestly, pretty much anything from the 'References' page is a decent read, but Altered Carbon and its sequels they swiped pretty heavily from for some stuff.

Kire
Aug 25, 2006

Kwyndig posted:

If you're looking for another book that handles some of the concepts of Eclipse Phase, read Altered Carbon by Richard K Morgan. It only deals with sleeving technologies but it's an interesting look at what the world would likely have been if the TITANS hadn't hosed it up. Honestly, pretty much anything from the 'References' page is a decent read, but Altered Carbon and its sequels they swiped pretty heavily from for some stuff.

Altered Carbon was a huge influence on EP. I'm trying to write a campaign right now that takes place on Mars, in the slums, and draws very heavily from Gibson's Neuromancer pentalogy. I'll upload my notes for the theme/setting when I'm done.

Kire fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Aug 13, 2011

Bistromatic
Oct 3, 2004

And turn the inner eye
To see its path...
Crosspost from the Kerbal Space Program thread of all places:

illectro posted:

Trust me there are even more confusing things in orbital mechanics.
Here's a video I made showing the asteroids in the 1:1 and 3:2 resonances with Jupiter:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yt1qPCiOq-8

Now, people have a hard time figuring out why they're stable, I mean it's clear that these locations keep them from getting too close to Jupiter, but more importantly the interaction with Juptiter's gravity is actually *pushing* the asteroids away instead of pulling them in. People have a hard time with that because they think of gravity being a force that only attracts things.

Now you Kerbal space pilots will know that the best way to change orbits is by applying acceleration along the direction of motion, forces perpendicular to this are less effective in changing the orbital parameters. So, in the 3:2 resonance case the time when the asteroids arrive at aphelion either in 60 degrees in front or behind Jupiter is when their orbits are most strongly affected by the planet.

If, one of the asteroids starts orbiting slightly faster then it'll appear to catch up with Jupiter, so instead of arriving 60 degrees in front and behind it end up say 55degrees behind and 65degrees ahead. At the point 55degrees behind Jupiter gives the object a bit of acceleration and raises its perihelion, and then at the 65degrees ahead the reverse happens and the perihelion drops. But gravity gets stronger as you get closer so the kick that raises the perihelion is stronger. The net effect then becomes that the orbit gets bigger and the orbital period gets longer, eventually the object is orbiting more slowly that Jupiter and starts heading towards the reverse configuration. The orbits oscillate around these stable configurations.

Anyway.... back to blowing improbable machines up.

Bistromatic posted:

Slight derail but i knew about the Greeks and Trojans but i had no idea about these, apparently they're called Hildas.

Being the sci-fi nerd i am these seem a sweet deal in settings where the greeks and trojans are populated. Hang out with the trojans for a while, then with the greeks and finally some years in the middle of nowhere (speaking in orbital neighbourhood terms), looks great for long-term smuggling operations and stuff.

[According to Wikipedia] the Hildas rest at their aphelia in the apexes for an average of 5.0-5.5 years whereas they move along the sides more quickly for 2.5 to 3.0 years.

I don't remember these being mentioned in the books and i think they could make a sweet plot-hook for longer term campaigns.

Kire
Aug 25, 2006
The preview for Panopticon has been released - a full table of contents. It's amazing to me that they've drawn so explicitly from the Situationist movement in France back in the 60s and 70s. Check out the chapter "The Habitat is not the Territory - an intro to psychogeography".

http://eclipsephase.com/panopticon-preview-1

Bullbar
Apr 18, 2007

The Aristocrats!
I really need to download the other books and check them out.

And then lament not having players.

Kire
Aug 25, 2006
Panopticon has hit the streets! Both the book and PDF. It focuses on uplifts, habitats (including using a habitat as a morph), and issues surrounding the surveillance/sousveillance society, such as privacy, anonymity, and research.

Kire
Aug 25, 2006

CNN Sports Ticker posted:

I really need to download the other books and check them out.

And then lament not having players.

Do you live in or near an urban area? I'm sure you could find people if you post at local game shops, and on the official forums.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Kire posted:

This cover is awesome. :haw:

clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

I recorded the Eclipse Phase panel at Gencon this year http://slangdesign.com/rppr/2011/08/panel-discussion/eclipse-phase-panel-at-gencon-2011/

Bullbar
Apr 18, 2007

The Aristocrats!

Kire posted:

Do you live in or near an urban area? I'm sure you could find people if you post at local game shops, and on the official forums.

Not at all. Tiny little rural town. I was living near people and players and gaming groups/shops, but no more :(

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
I've just read through the books, and this game looks awesome. Someone should definitely run a game.

Kire
Aug 25, 2006

Piell posted:

I've just read through the books, and this game looks awesome. Someone should definitely run a game.

Lol yes, people are currently running games!

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

Kire posted:

Lol yes, people are currently running games!

I mean a new game so that I can join it.

Bullbar
Apr 18, 2007

The Aristocrats!
I too would like to play.

Alehkhs
Oct 6, 2010

The Sorrow of Poets
I've never played, but I'd love to...

Barrakketh
Apr 19, 2011

Victory and defeat are the same. I urge you to act but not to reflect on the fruit of the act. Seek detachment. Fight without desire.

Don't withdraw into solitude. You must act. Yet action mustn't dominate you. In the heart of action you must remain free from all attachment.
I thought this was a pretty neat site with interesting Eclipse Phase stuff.

http://www.aleph.se/EclipsePhase/

Also, for you guys expressing interest. How do you want to play it? Skype? face to face? Play by post?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Young Orc
I'd like to see a PbP game.

• Locked thread