Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

revmoo posted:

Seriously? I figured buying a flagship would guarantee the ability to root.

I guess I'll ship it back, I'm not really interested in a non-rootable phone.

EDIT: I don't speak the lingo, but doesn't this mean you can root the S9: https://forum.xda-developers.com/galaxy-s9-plus/how-to/guide-root-s9-oem-fix-t3763974

?

That's for some weird overseas version of the S9 that uses a different processor.

If you want root you pretty much have to get a Pixel. Also it has to be the one directly from Google. The Verizon-made one sucks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012
This is why I root

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer
Thanks I hate it.

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Lovin' every minute of it.
What am I looking at?

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Uncle at Nintendo posted:

That's for some weird overseas version of the S9 that uses a different processor.

If you want root you pretty much have to get a Pixel. Also it has to be the one directly from Google. The Verizon-made one sucks.

That's not true. You can root pretty much all Chinese phones e.g. Xiaomi, Huawei, ZTE etc

Just go to XDA and look at the forums, some are easier than others

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Alan_Shore posted:

That's not true. You can root pretty much all Chinese phones e.g. Xiaomi, Huawei, ZTE etc

Just go to XDA and look at the forums, some are easier than others

Oh I meant like major mainstream phones that you can get at like Best Buy or whatever, but still that's good to know. I was going to buy an S9 because of its form factor but didn't because of the US version being unrootable.

Off topic but I'm surprised with all the Chinese phone manufacturers out there no one has bothered to make a 4.2 to 4.7" phone with recent hardware. I'd buy one in a second.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Hipster_Doofus posted:

What am I looking at?

The "show off your Android desktop" thread got archived, this was the next best place to post it

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Pretty much the only reason I still root is for Tethering (which if SERO gets ported to SWAC in the future, then I may no longer need to do this) and for a reliable complete backup solution (Titanium Backup).

Sadly I don't see Google ever getting the 2nd thing ever figured out as unless an app opts into cloud backup, its a crapshoot if you can back it up manually or not. Titanium Backup makes it extremely easy to do a clean wipe and restore specific apps that have a lot of data that doesn't get backed up automatically or at all. (Chrome Tabs for example... :v: )

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Non-capped tethering is reason alone to use root. I won't buy a phone that can't be rooted. I tether hours a day.

All the other stuff is just a bonus.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Uncle at Nintendo posted:

Non-capped tethering is reason alone to use root. I won't buy a phone that can't be rooted. I tether hours a day.

All the other stuff is just a bonus.

I just use wifi

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

sourdough posted:

I just use wifi

What if you have capped wifi?

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

EdEddnEddy posted:

What if you have capped wifi?

I think my home internet probably has some dumb cap of like a terabyte or something? I dunno, nothing that I've ever run up against or know about obviously. But I guess that counts as capped wifi? I think my phone plan is 4 gb per month, but anywhere I'd use my laptop and need to tether is at work or home or some cafe with wifi or whatever. And 4 gb wouldn't go too far.

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

sourdough posted:

The "show off your Android desktop" thread got archived, this was the next best place to post it

I see, but what I was mostly wondering is what's with all those selection boxes or whatever they are.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

I root for AdAway, Viper and Substratum. Especially Viper, it sounds so good with decent headphones

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
I'm kind of embarrassed to admit but I haven't actually rooted my 6T. Every now and then I come across some Magisk thing that would be moderately neat to have, but it's not like my Samsung days where their fuckery drove me nuts and I was installing CyanogenMod within weeks.

I kinda want to do it still just because, but I haven't bothered to look up if I lose anything by doing so on this phone. I don't think there's any nonsense like Sony's camera thing where features are lost permanently, but still.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

sourdough posted:

This is why I root

Best argument I’ve ever seen to disable rooting.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

sourdough posted:

This is why I root

Anyway, this isn’t about rooting, but is about firmware flashing, is this the same thing now (I haven’t “rooted” a device since the T-Mobile G1)? Basically I’m just wanting to know if it’s possible to flash the stock, basic-rear end firmware from a non-carrier branded Galaxy S10e/S10/S10+ onto a T-Mobile branded S10e/S10/S10+, in order to get all the pre-loaded shitware off it? I don’t want whatever the gently caress that dude up thread has, I don’t want to enable a bunch of features or overclock or any of that poo poo; just get the stuff T-Mobile preloads on the device actually off instead of just “disabling” it, and getting faster updates directly from Samsung rather than waiting for T-Mobile to do their thing with the updates.

nerdrum
Aug 17, 2007

where am I

Branch Nvidian posted:

Anyway, this isn’t about rooting, but is about firmware flashing, is this the same thing now (I haven’t “rooted” a device since the T-Mobile G1)? Basically I’m just wanting to know if it’s possible to flash the stock, basic-rear end firmware from a non-carrier branded Galaxy S10e/S10/S10+ onto a T-Mobile branded S10e/S10/S10+, in order to get all the pre-loaded shitware off it? I don’t want whatever the gently caress that dude up thread has, I don’t want to enable a bunch of features or overclock or any of that poo poo; just get the stuff T-Mobile preloads on the device actually off instead of just “disabling” it, and getting faster updates directly from Samsung rather than waiting for T-Mobile to do their thing with the updates.

It's way easier, download the patched odin then the u1 firmware for your specific device, reboot into download mode flash it and you're bloat free in about 15 minutes.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

nerdrum posted:

It's way easier, download the patched odin then the u1 firmware for your specific device, reboot into download mode flash it and you're bloat free in about 15 minutes.

Oh poo poo, yeah I guess things got better after a decade. Thanks.

Eikre
May 2, 2009
Two things I'm interested in:

Is there a simple way to make save-states of ordinary apps in rooted android? Like the kind of poo poo that you would expect out of an emulator or virtual machine: mirror an app's current exact state in memory and then just drop it right back into that snapshot at your leisure. It's easy with virtualization because you have the entire machine in a jar and don't need to dissect shared resources, but my understanding is that hypervisors on Android are already kind of a thing (isn't it how Samsung's Knox works?) so I was thinking someone might have made an app-wrapper to do exactly this.

Other thing: blocking calls with extreme prejudice. I have no idea how voice networking works these days but if there was enough information in the hailing package for a low-level demon to identify the caller's number and then just never respond so that, as far as the Telecom knew, the phone was just off? That would be great. But I would just as soon accept a solution where it catches the connection and immediately hangs up before anything in user-space even sees it. Actually, just give me options.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Eikre posted:

Is there a simple way to make save-states of ordinary apps in rooted android? Like the kind of poo poo that you would expect out of an emulator or virtual machine: mirror an app's current exact state in memory and then just drop it right back into that snapshot at your leisure. It's easy with virtualization because you have the entire machine in a jar and don't need to dissect shared resources, but my understanding is that hypervisors on Android are already kind of a thing (isn't it how Samsung's Knox works?) so I was thinking someone might have made an app-wrapper to do exactly this.

I mean, you can't do this with regular Linux, so I would be surprised if you could somehow do it on Android.

Eikre
May 2, 2009
Linux has containers. The LXC project is like a decade old. Anbox employs the LXC suite to run android apps on other linux platforms. $lxc-copy -s and $lxc-checkpoint take snapshots/checkpoints of containers. At a glance, I wouldn't guess this is technically infeasible. I imagine you would be installing a package in the bootloader environment, but we're no strangers to that.

If you could tell me with authority that nobody has bothered to write the code or that there's reasons it would run like hell, then I can believe you, but it's not like your phone isn't Turing complete.

Eikre fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Jul 4, 2019

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Eikre posted:

Two things I'm interested in:

Other thing: blocking calls with extreme prejudice. I have no idea how voice networking works these days but if there was enough information in the hailing package for a low-level demon to identify the caller's number and then just never respond so that, as far as the Telecom knew, the phone was just off? That would be great. But I would just as soon accept a solution where it catches the connection and immediately hangs up before anything in user-space even sees it. Actually, just give me options.

For the second one, I use You Mail and set one of the voicemails to "beep boop beep, the number you have dialed has been disconnected" for any number where I explicitly ignore the call. If you just let the phone ring and ring it will go to normal voicemail. Anyway do this enough times and your number is marked as inactive by their machines and you never get telemarketing calls again.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

sourdough posted:

This is why I root

lmao

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

lol

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf

sourdough posted:

This is why I root

I would shoot my phone if it looked like that.

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!

sourdough posted:

This is why I root

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

:five:

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

sourdough posted:

This is why I root

Coming back to savor this amazing post again

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

lol it's as good now as it was then

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

Tbh idgi. What exactly is being expressed/explained by this screenie?

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

A non-goon friend of mine is looking for someone to help him with rooting a Galaxy S10. Any good resources I could point him toward?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

TITTIEKISSER69 posted:

A non-goon friend of mine is looking for someone to help him with rooting a Galaxy S10. Any good resources I could point him toward?

I'm sure they know this already but the place I'd start is xda.

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Looks like Magisk works for Exynos variants, anyway: https://www.xda-developers.com/samsung-galaxy-s10-plus-s10e-s10-exynos-rooted-magisk-canary/?ampcf=1

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Thank you both! I'll send him links, but he sounds like he's looking for someone to talk him through it over a video chat. Thankfully, I'm not the guy for that.

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

Not sure where to post this, but I'll try here first. Anyone aware of an idiot's guide walkthrough for getting ADB working on Linux? I'm trying to root a Fire tablet (HD 10 - 2017) and have followed about a dozen guides but the device never shows up when I run adb devices. Device is in developer mode with ADB activated, so I'm assuming it's got to be a problem on the PC end.

yergacheffe
Jan 22, 2007
Whaler on the moon.

I've never had issues with Linux, usually just install android adb tools from the package manager and I'm good to go.

Just to make sure, on the android device you have
1. Turned on developer settings
2. Inside the developer settings menu, you've enabled USB debugging
3. Plug the android device into your pc with a USB cable, and a popup will appear on the android device asking if you want to authorize the PC to connect in debug mode. Accept the prompt. (not at a PC atm so I cant provide a picture)

At this point, adb devices should show your device.

Edit: Amazon has a support page for this and mentions that the device has to be in MTP mode for the usb debug connection to work:

https://developer.amazon.com/docs/fire-tablets/connecting-adb-to-device.html

yergacheffe fucked around with this message at 09:41 on Oct 3, 2020

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

Nevermind. I guess it was the cable I was using. Showed up as charging so I assumed it was working. Swapped it for another and it worked right away. *sigh*

EDIT: But, thank you so much for the reply!

Tuxedo Gin fucked around with this message at 09:50 on Oct 3, 2020

ArcMage
Sep 14, 2007

What is this thread?

Ramrod XTreme
Dedicated charging cables actually have a resistor across the data pins and provide no data connection.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
You also need to setup udev rules to correctly setup permissions, depending on distro. The arch wiki is usually a good resource regardless if your actually running arch.