Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rotaryfun
Jun 30, 2008

you can be my wingman anytime

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Nice, I'll have to give it a try :) did you use a custom kernel at all?

Ah I believe he put one out with his ROM and I do remember trying it but I never felt like I needed it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ProjektorBoy
Jun 18, 2002

I FUCK LINEN IN MY SPARE TIME!
Grimey Drawer

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Anybody have an reccomendations for a good ROM/Kernel combination to throw on an old OG Droid I have? I want to give it to my little brother, so I'm looking for something stable :)

The newest SteelDroid runs incredibly well. drat thing goes from Off to Booted in about 30 seconds flat, and it brings its own overclocked kernel.

Vax
Dec 29, 2011

delicious!
I finally landed in 2012 and did myself the favor of upgrading from CM7 to CM9 (Galaxy S2). Since I need my device to be working 90% for daily office usage I kinda waited until TeamAwesome got rid of most of the bugs. And let me tell you oh god what a joy CM9 is.

Seriously, if you got a capable device... WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR!?

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

A working camera.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

right arm posted:

A working camera.
A better excuse than I have, which is just a compelling improvement over stock 4.0.4.

Odette
Mar 19, 2011

I've been on the CM9 nightlies (SGS2) for the last month and camera's been working ever since, well since?

Solly
Mar 21, 2005

That's a side effect of the marijuana poisoning.
I haven't kept up with desire roms lately. I got fed up with oxygen a while back and tried out a few sense roms, but they seem to be fairly sloppy things with bugs that make them just about unusable. What would be the best current rom to go for in terms of stability and performance?

Vax
Dec 29, 2011

delicious!

right arm posted:

A working camera.

Works perfectly fine on the SGS2.

thisdude23
Jul 10, 2001

So take me back, back to better days
Cause this time between is wasting me away
I have a Sprint Nexus S 4G rooted currently but I want to use Google Wallet. Do I need to unroot my phone to use it or will it work out ok? I'm asking because it keeps showing up saying it is an unsupported device. :(

yamdankee
Jan 23, 2005

~anderoid fragmentation~

thisdude23 posted:

I have a Sprint Nexus S 4G rooted currently but I want to use Google Wallet. Do I need to unroot my phone to use it or will it work out ok? I'm asking because it keeps showing up saying it is an unsupported device. :(

Everything should still work, but it's saying unsupported because it sees that you're rooted, so you're not as secure. Apps with root access will be able to access Wallet files.

Edit: Wait, are you seeing "unsupported" from the Play store, or from within the app? If from the store, I think you can use market enable to make it download. Or you can download the APK from XDA/Rootzwiki. If you're seeing it from the app, again everything will still work.

Now I'm curious if Wallet is worth installing on my VZW GNex? Do many places support it yet? Is it really a security risk to run something like this on a rooted phone? I don't have any apps that would act maliciously to my knowledge.

yamdankee fucked around with this message at 16:52 on May 2, 2012

thisdude23
Jul 10, 2001

yamdankee posted:

Everything should still work, but it's saying unsupported because it sees that you're rooted, so you're not as secure. Apps with root access will be able to access Wallet files.

Edit: Wait, are you seeing "unsupported" from the Play store, or from within the app? If from the store, I think you can use market enable to make it download. Or you can download the APK from XDA/Rootzwiki. If you're seeing it from the app, again everything will still work.

Now I'm curious if Wallet is worth installing on my VZW GNex? Do many places support it yet? Is it really a security risk to run something like this on a rooted phone? I don't have any apps that would act maliciously to my knowledge.

It shows up as an "unsupported device" when I start up the app. It lets me download it from the market without any problems though. If it still works though then I'm in business. I guess I can try it at Subway in a bit to know for sure.

roffles
Dec 25, 2004

thisdude23 posted:

I have a rooted phone and the message makes me a little nervous but it works fine. My credit card hasn't been stolen yet. I don't really use a lot of apps that need root (Titanium Backup, wifi tether, I use a stock rooted ROM) so I think I'm relatively safe?

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Also, can't you just load up Google Wallet with a pre-paid card, thereby avoiding having your credit card info in the app at all?

b0nes
Sep 11, 2001

hooah posted:

Also, can't you just load up Google Wallet with a pre-paid card, thereby avoiding having your credit card info in the app at all?

It comes with a Google prepaid card.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

b0nes posted:

It comes with a Google prepaid card.

Right. What's your point? You can use theirs, or presumably at least one or two other kinds of pre-paid cards. The credit-card-stealing avoidance still stands.

thisdude23
Jul 10, 2001

Aww man, mine didn't work at Jack in the Crack. Dang, gotta try somewhere else before I decide if it's the phone or the place.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Is there any way to get a percentage number battery icon on my GNex running 4.0.4 stock, but rooted? I don't want to flash a new ROM for that stuff.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

I think the UOT Kitchen can do that now.

MC Hawking
Apr 27, 2004

by VideoGames
Fun Shoe

Vax posted:

Seriously, if you got a capable device... WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR!?

Considering it seems the G2 has been all but dropped for official support I'd have to say that of the unofficial CM9 build, they still don't have the camera working 100% without a bunch of fuckery, graphical glitches are still a problem, people are having the ROM slow down to the point of locking up after a couple days, and people are still having dropped wifi connection.

Sure my phone is capable of running it, but CM9 is still a long way from being daily driver material, no matter what XDA seems to consider "good enough". They may be 'outdated' but I'll stick with Cm7.1 or Virtuous Sense. ICS isn't worth the trouble, especially since it seems that the Cyanogen team has thrown in the towel supporting older hardware.

David Mountford
Feb 16, 2012
For rooted VZW Galaxy Nexus users, the new radios associated with the 4.0.4 update are available on rootzwiki @ http://rootzwiki.com/topic/12866-vzwfastboot-radiosbootloadersrecoveries-updated-may-1-2012/ . As with anything that important, it's advised that you md5sum your downloads, since flashing a bad radio can end up being bad news. It's supposed to fix connectivity issues and the 3g/4g handoff issues some phones have had.

b0nes
Sep 11, 2001

hooah posted:

Right. What's your point? You can use theirs, or presumably at least one or two other kinds of pre-paid cards. The credit-card-stealing avoidance still stands.

Just pointing that out.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
I'm trying to install the Android SDK and it's not working...it tells me I need Java SDK installed, but I did install it...so...?

Or, alternatively, is there a rooting method for the Epic 4G that doesn't need Android SDK/ADB?

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

DrBouvenstein posted:

Or, alternatively, is there a rooting method for the Epic 4G that doesn't need Android SDK/ADB?
Flash BML CWM5 recovery with Odin or Heimdall. If you want to stick with stock ROM, flash superuser in recovery afterwards. Otherwise proceed to installing CM9 beta2.

yamdankee
Jan 23, 2005

~anderoid fragmentation~

David Mountford posted:

For rooted VZW Galaxy Nexus users, the new radios associated with the 4.0.4 update are available on rootzwiki @ http://rootzwiki.com/topic/12866-vzwfastboot-radiosbootloadersrecoveries-updated-may-1-2012/ . As with anything that important, it's advised that you md5sum your downloads, since flashing a bad radio can end up being bad news. It's supposed to fix connectivity issues and the 3g/4g handoff issues some phones have had.

Great news! Dumb question: When I flash this in recovery, am I supposed to flash the .zip I downloaded or am I supposed to extract the two radio .img files and flash the .img files separately? Basically, leave it alone and flash it or unzip and flash the .img files?

Also, easiest way to check MD5 for anyone who may be doing a radio flash for the first time: Android File Verifier is very easy.

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

Slopehead posted:

Considering it seems the G2 has been all but dropped for official support I'd have to say that of the unofficial CM9 build, they still don't have the camera working 100% without a bunch of fuckery, graphical glitches are still a problem, people are having the ROM slow down to the point of locking up after a couple days, and people are still having dropped wifi connection.

Sure my phone is capable of running it, but CM9 is still a long way from being daily driver material, no matter what XDA seems to consider "good enough". They may be 'outdated' but I'll stick with Cm7.1 or Virtuous Sense. ICS isn't worth the trouble, especially since it seems that the Cyanogen team has thrown in the towel supporting older hardware.

The camera seemed to work fine on my G2 running Andromadus Audacity vB2, but I had the slowdown issues. It seemed like every app would ask to force close when I would open it. I got so frustrated, I went back to CM7.2 like you. But man, was ICS sweet right after a reboot.

I really hoped that CM9 would officially get built for our phone :(. I don't want to pay for an upgrade heh.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

ExcessBLarg! posted:

Flash BML CWM5 recovery with Odin or Heimdall. If you want to stick with stock ROM, flash superuser in recovery afterwards. Otherwise proceed to installing CM9 beta2.

Well, Odin says that the tar file was flashed successfully, but my phone still isn't rooted...

I put it in the PDA spot, and nothing in the phone or PIT spots?

And what about that "Clean_Kernel-2011-11-20-15.51.32.zip" file...it says to flash that, and it's listed before the Odin file, but I can't flash that without CWM, and I can't get CWM without root, so...

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

DrBouvenstein posted:

Well, Odin says that the tar file was flashed successfully, but my phone still isn't rooted...
It won't be until you apply the above superuser.zip in CWM. Now, when you reboot into recovery are you getting CWM or stock recovery again?

What's your upgrade path? Did you apply an OTA update after flashing a stock image?

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

The devil can cite Scripture for his purpose!

Slopehead posted:

It's funny because I bought the G2 because "since Cyanogen owns one, it'll have support for a real long time". Just over a year later and there's no more Cyanogenmod builds and the development community has moved on leaving nothing but XDA "developers". Next time I'm going to have to make a much safer bet because I'm not buying a new phone every year.

rotaryfun
Jun 30, 2008

you can be my wingman anytime

yamdankee posted:

Great news! Dumb question: When I flash this in recovery, am I supposed to flash the .zip I downloaded or am I supposed to extract the two radio .img files and flash the .img files separately? Basically, leave it alone and flash it or unzip and flash the .img files?

Also, easiest way to check MD5 for anyone who may be doing a radio flash for the first time: Android File Verifier is very easy.

Just flash the zip. You don't have to extract anything. Did it earlier today with mine and had no issues.

Lord Yod
Jul 22, 2009

My rooted sensation (VI 4.0.2) won't connect to my exchange server. I've doublechecked that the login info is correct, when I click next to log in it sits for a minute trying to connect then pops this up:

Anyone had a similar problem? Know of a fix?

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe
Sprint just released an update for the Galaxy Nexus that supposedly fixes radio issues. I rooted mine last week, flashing TWRP 2.1.2 in the process (otherwise staying stock). I checked the update section of the Settings, and it downloaded the update and rebooted into TWRP. Is there any way to install the update with TWRP or do I need to (can I?) flash the stock recovery first?

FlyingCheese
Jan 17, 2007
OH THANK GOD!

I never thought I'd be happy to see yet another lubed up man-ass.

sirbeefalot posted:

Sprint just released an update for the Galaxy Nexus that supposedly fixes radio issues. I rooted mine last week, flashing TWRP 2.1.2 in the process (otherwise staying stock). I checked the update section of the Settings, and it downloaded the update and rebooted into TWRP. Is there any way to install the update with TWRP or do I need to (can I?) flash the stock recovery first?

Wait for a rooted version of the OTA to pop up and install that.

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

I wear my sunglasses at night.

FlyingCheese posted:

Wait for a rooted version of the OTA to pop up and install that.

Is this necessary with Google phones? I thought those could be rooted without crazy exploits and stuff.

Mark Larson
Dec 27, 2003

Interesting...

ZShakespeare posted:

It's funny because I bought the G2 because "since Cyanogen owns one, it'll have support for a real long time". Just over a year later and there's no more Cyanogenmod builds and the development community has moved on leaving nothing but XDA "developers". Next time I'm going to have to make a much safer bet because I'm not buying a new phone every year.

Many thought the same about the G2x. Look how that turned out.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

brc64 posted:

Is this necessary with Google phones? I thought those could be rooted without crazy exploits and stuff.
No it's not necessary.

Download OTA Rootkeeper and run it. Then install the update using your custom recovery. Assuming you've not altered the system files at all the update will apply smoothly, then run OTA Rootkeeper and it's back the way it was.

I'd verify that the update doesn't put install-recovery.sh back into /etc and if it does, delete it.

MC Hawking
Apr 27, 2004

by VideoGames
Fun Shoe

ZShakespeare posted:

It's funny because I bought the G2 because "since Cyanogen owns one, it'll have support for a real long time".

Yeah I'm eating my words on that since I said that exact loving thing last October when he and I had the chance to chat at the BBQ. If you bought a G2 because of that, I wholeheartedly apologize. It's a great device, but like so many others it lacks long term support. Unfortunately I don't really think there are "safer bets" when it comes to non-Nexus devices and even with a Nexus, it's pretty much GSM international version or bust.

I'm really hopeful that we'll eventually get a fully functional build, however that's tempered by the knowledge that without HTC releasing drivers and whatnot backporting is going to be a slow, arduous process.

I've learned to live with running CM7.1 and I'll likely be leaving Android whenever WP8 Apollo comes out. I'm loving tired of this horseshit, all perks of the OS aside. The dev community is a fickle bitch, carriers don't give a gently caress, and Google just wants Android on as many devices as possible to shove out as much advertising as possible.

The only perk I can think of at this point over other mobile operating systems is the ability to root, block advertising, and secure app permissions. While that's a very compelling argument in Androids favor, the lack of long term support is very irritating.

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

The devil can cite Scripture for his purpose!
Nah, I bought it because after my Galaxy S had it's 4th warranty replacement in as many months Samsung told me that they were invalidating my warranty because they "had spent more on repairs than the phone was worth" and the only other options were the Desire Z and a handful of low end Samsungs. I'll likely be leaving android soon too for the same reasons. If I'm going to gamble on a device that will see continuous improvement for the life of a contract there's a clear option.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Slopehead posted:

I'm loving tired of this horseshit, all perks of the OS aside.
You do know that all of the devices that Microsoft has sold in this year and all of 2011 will not be updated to WP8, right? That includes their amazing "flagship" device, the Lumia 900.

Android has a lot of flaws, I'll give that to you, but if a priority to you is support for the life of the contract on the device you have the obvious choice (the iPhone) and the safest bet apart from that (the Nexus) and no other options. Even if MS wanted to update their devices (they don't), the carriers have actually blocked them in the past. Buying a Windows Phone because you want long term support is like buying a pogo-stick because you want to go to the moon.

MC Hawking
Apr 27, 2004

by VideoGames
Fun Shoe
To cut this retarded derail off before it starts, shall we leave the arguing over WP7/8 Update schedule to the Mango thread? They'll be as happy to tell you as I am that Microsoft hasn't confirmed or denied anything about the Apollo updates. Everything is speculation at this point.

All I'm saying is that Android has some serious issues when it comes to long-term support, something that I've seen due to historical precedent is better addressed by other platforms, save a majority of the Nexus line. It sure would have been nice if I'd known that when I'd bought my first smartphone back in January 2011. Unfortunately there was no real way to know that I'd but abandoned after a year since I was fresh to the game and I don't possess a time machine.

Oh and just so you know, a friend of mine who had a 3GS updated to IOS5 on contract and it turned it into a virtually unusable hunk of poo poo. So it's not like Apple is completely infallible with their phones either. Jokes on him, he bought an SGSII on AT&T. Maybe he'll get lucky and have that sweet sweet ICS update by October but bemoan his luck when Jelly Bean never shows up.

Edited for civility

MC Hawking fucked around with this message at 10:13 on May 3, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

Sure wish my SGS got the kind of support the Nexus S did. Android support is loving horrible.