Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf
We have come full circle, shut down the forums there is nothing left to post.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mooktastical
Jan 8, 2008
This is a dumb argument. As soon as phones started doing things that only computers did before, the line between them was blurred. Of course they don't have the features or specs of a pc, and that's fine. Shoehorning functionality into a platform not built for it well never be anything other than retarded.

That being said, the "primarily for communication" thing is just as retarded. We use them for plenty of things beyond calls and sms/mms, which is also just fine.

The difference is semantic. Please shut the gently caress up about it now.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

No, it's not retarded. It's a fact. A smartphone is a communications device first and foremost. That is does a number of other things is incidental to the fact that it is a device that you carry to be able to make and receive calls and SMS/MMS from others. If you didn't need the phone function, you would just carry a media player or tablet.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

I hate all of you.

Also, the "smartphone is a communications device" is relevant because that's what its design is focused around.

No one who says "smartphones aren't computers" does not think that the phone is not an actual computer. Of course they don't. You're a stupid idiot if you think anyone with non-retard intelligence doesn't recognize that phones are little computers.

You guys are arguing right past each other and I'm tired of seeing posts in this thread that don't add anything intelligent.

"Smartphones are communication devices."
"No, they're computers!"
"No, they're communication devices!"
"No, they're computers!"

Guess what? You're both loving right. If you want to argue about it, that's cool. I like good arguments. Just stop arguing like loving idiots.

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf
Reminds me of an old commercial.

"you got chocolate in my peanut butter"
"you got peanut butter in my chocolate"

You're both wrong.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

Thermopyle posted:

No one who says "smartphones aren't computers" does not think that the phone is not an actual computer. Of course they don't. You're a stupid idiot if you think anyone with non-retard intelligence doesn't recognize that phones are little computers.

This is how you arrive at downloading torrents on your telephone.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Citizen Tayne posted:

Thanks for being an idiot.

I loving agree with you that you shouldn't treat your phone like a little PC, but saying "your phone isn't a computer" is literally wrong and 1/2 of the reason the reason your stupid argument is so stupid.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Citizen Tayne posted:

If you're going to watch your animes on your phone, why go through the hassle of torrenting them on your PC when you could download them straight to your phone?

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

regulargonzalez posted:

Rooted a cheapo Android tablet and threw both Adblock and Adaway on there, but I still get ads on Youtube vids. Any way to fix this, it's moderately annoying.

Install Xposed Framework then the YoutubeAdaway module, it's the one that blocks ads from the native youtube app. It updates quite often (even more than the youtube app) so keep it up to date.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Tunga posted:

There's an Xposed module which can get rid of these. I no longer have it due to Lollipop, but it's called something obvious.

Guillermus posted:

Install Xposed Framework then the YoutubeAdaway module, it's the one that blocks ads from the native youtube app. It updates quite often (even more than the youtube app) so keep it up to date.

Thanks y'all. Hopefully a big ol' dummy like me can figure it out. Something like this: http://www.techaudible.net/install-xposed-framework-android-device-root-required/ ?

But I assume, following that link to the Xposed Framework .apk, I don't want the latest 'unstable' version and that the slightly older but stable one is probably a better fit for someone who doesn't really care about anything other than "it just works"?

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

regulargonzalez posted:

Thanks y'all. Hopefully a big ol' dummy like me can figure it out. Something like this: http://www.techaudible.net/install-xposed-framework-android-device-root-required/ ?

But I assume, following that link to the Xposed Framework .apk, I don't want the latest 'unstable' version and that the slightly older but stable one is probably a better fit for someone who doesn't really care about anything other than "it just works"?

Rooting and xposed aren't really "it just works" things. It's a lot of effort to avoid skipping an ad after five seconds every once in a while.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

GutBomb posted:

Rooting and xposed aren't really "it just works" things. It's a lot of effort to avoid skipping an ad after five seconds every once in a while.
Seemed pretty straightforward and yay, youtube ads are gone. Any other low risk / high reward modules I might consider installing?

regulargonzalez fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Dec 11, 2014

Shannow
Aug 30, 2003

Frumious Bandersnatch

regulargonzalez posted:

Seemed pretty straightforward and yay, youtube ads are gone. Any other low risk / high reward modules I might consider installing?

Gravitybox is the main and best reason to use Xposed. I also like wifikey view so I don't have to go hunting for a password if i want to add a new device to a network my phone/tablet is already connected to, battery stats permissions so you can use better battery stats, keepchat if you want snapchat pics to be automatically saved on the fly, and customshare so you can edit what the share menu holds instead of it bringing up every single app each time.

It's worth just scrolling down through all the available modules, there's not that many that it takes to long and seeing if there's anything that seems like something you're after.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
In preparation for updating my Nexus 4 to 5.0.1, I booted into TWRP and made a device backup. In the past, that would live on the emulated storage card, but now it's in /system. Is there any way to make that folder visible to a computer, or will I just have to move the backup to the storage card?

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Thermopyle posted:

I loving agree with you that you shouldn't treat your phone like a little PC, but saying "your phone isn't a computer" is literally wrong and 1/2 of the reason the reason your stupid argument is so stupid.
Smartphones aren't*** general purpose computers. Of course smartphones are computers, even in the sense that you can extend their functionality with purchased software (apps), as opposed to limited purpose-specific appliances.

*** as in, smartphones are not designed, engineered, manufactured, marketed, sold as, or supported as general purpose computers. That doesn't mean neckbeards can't MacGyver in a keyboard and install Linux. Whether doing such is a good idea is a matter of opinion. Discussion of that kind of activity is most appropriate in this thread than others in IYG to the extent it's tasteful. Otherwise YOSPOS.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

There is literally an Android IDE on Google Play. It's pretty much still proof-of-concept so Android is merely something you can force to become a general-purpose OS.

And yes, if you don't have a desktop-style terminal interface you can plug the thing into it's still really only going to be useful for phone and tablet crap and you're still basically going to look like Smelly Beard Man if you try to use it as anything else.

Chrome OS the hacker'd probably have a case.

On the other hand, if you have to go to these lengths to put together a viable complaint about people who dare do things with the things they own, maybe you should do your stress levels a favor and just let them block the stupid ads.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

I guess some people can be really mad if I say that I plug a xbox360 controller to the micro-usb port of my SGS4 and play videogames with it like on a console. :stonk:

FlyingCheese
Jan 17, 2007
OH THANK GOD!

I never thought I'd be happy to see yet another lubed up man-ass.

Guillermus posted:

I guess some people can be really mad if I say that I plug a xbox360 controller to the micro-usb port of my SGS4 and play videogames with it like on a console. :stonk:

A phone is not a console, neckbeard! It's a communication device!!

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

nimper posted:

It's entirely possible to install Linux on a phone but dear God why would you ever want to?

I did it on my Evo back in the CM6/7 days mostly because I could, but it was occasionally useful to be able to use my phone as a Kismet drone. It was also nice to have my usual CLI tools that I have on other platforms. If was in in a 4G area or on reliable WiFi and didn't have my laptop out or near me I could still see if a customer's internet connection was lovely with "mtr" and "oping".

In theory you can run a X11 VNC server and an Android VNC client to have a full Linux desktop-style GUI exposed (which might actually be sort of usable with an environment like Unity) but most apps will not have a clue how to handle what they'd see as an extreme DPI environment so they'll be pretty hard to use without a mouse attached.

It's a lot harder to make a case for it now even though it's really easy (there are point-and-click installers on the Play store) because most of the things one might have wanted to do this for in the past are now available as APK packages with a basic GUI slapped on. My two uses of WiFi sniffing and network diagnostics are both well covered by native Android apps now, so my S4 has never seen apt-get and probably won't ever unless Ubuntu Phone becomes interesting (assuming that even has it, apparently this "snappy" thing in Ubuntu Core is related to work they've done with the phone platform).

edit: On the phone/computer thing can we all just agree that there's a huge grey area of hardware built with the intent of behaving somewhat like an appliance but on an architecture that strongly resembles a generic PC and running the same core operating system as many generic PCs? Smartphones are definitely closer to the "general purpose" end than the "appliance" end where you might find a TiVo or Chromecast, and something like an Apple TV falls sort of in the middle.

edit2: Remember as well that traditional computers are somewhat creeping the other way too: ARM servers that are very closely related to a tablet as far as core hardware, just with lots more RAM and no screen, are a thing now.

wolrah fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Dec 11, 2014

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

FlyingCheese posted:

A phone is not a console, neckbeard! It's a communication device!!

Wait until I reveal that sometimes I plug an USB memory on it and play videos on my TV like a DVD player :unsmigghh:

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

dik-dik posted:

holy poo poo this thread

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Getting away from the slap fight for a minute...

How do I go about re-rooting my Nexus 4 after updating from 5.0 to 5.0.1? I tried installing CWM Recovery, but apparently it didn't stick, since when I tried to go into recovery to install Superuser, it just went to the android-laying-on-its-back image instead.

FlyingCheese
Jan 17, 2007
OH THANK GOD!

In the same vein, I have two Nexus 6's running rooted 5.0. What is the best method to update these to 5.0.1 and preserve root/settings/etc?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 19 hours!

hooah posted:

Getting away from the slap fight for a minute...

How do I go about re-rooting my Nexus 4 after updating from 5.0 to 5.0.1? I tried installing CWM Recovery, but apparently it didn't stick, since when I tried to go into recovery to install Superuser, it just went to the android-laying-on-its-back image instead.
CF-Auto-root or just install the recovery properly (you probably let it boot up).

FlyingCheese posted:

In the same vein, I have two Nexus 6's running rooted 5.0. What is the best method to update these to 5.0.1 and preserve root/settings/etc?
fastboot flash radio.img and system.img out of the full system image, then flash the superuser zip in your custom recovery. (The bootloader didn't change on the Nexus 6.)

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

LastInLine posted:

fastboot flash radio.img and system.img out of the full system image, then flash the superuser zip in your custom recovery. (The bootloader didn't change on the Nexus 6.)
Didn't the kernel update too?

Honestly it seems easier and safer to just fastboot update the whole zip (after flashing radio.img).

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

LastInLine posted:

CF-Auto-root or just install the recovery properly (you probably let it boot up).

What should I have done instead of booting after flashing the recovery?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 19 hours!

Tunga posted:

Didn't the kernel update too?

Honestly it seems easier and safer to just fastboot update the whole zip (after flashing radio.img).
Thanks, you're correct. Radio, boot, system. I had just woken up when I posted that.

hooah posted:

What should I have done instead of booting after flashing the recovery?
Gone into recovery and rooted. Remember that stock software reflashes the stock recovery on every boot so you flash the recovery in the bootloader then go straight to recovery and flash the superuser zip.

Also keep in mind that Android has to boot up at least once on a fresh device so you can't just fastboot oem unlock > fastboot flash recovery > adb sideload all at once. (You can't do this now anyway as you must enable oem unlock in the developer menu but the point is you couldn't do it before either).

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

LastInLine posted:

Remember that stock software reflashes the stock recovery on every boot

Ah, that's what I'd forgotten about.

FlyingCheese
Jan 17, 2007
OH THANK GOD!

LastInLine posted:

Thanks. And to confirm, I do need to install TWRP or something, right? I didn't do that when rooting in the first place. I just did fastboot oem unlock and then ran cf_autoroot.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 19 hours!

FlyingCheese posted:

Thanks. And to confirm, I do need to install TWRP or something, right? I didn't do that when rooting in the first place. I just did fastboot oem unlock and then ran cf_autoroot.
You could do it that way or just fastboot flash the things you need then run CF-Auto-Root again, either would be fine.

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007
If I go back to Stock TouchWiz from CyanogenMod will I lose root? I have a galaxy s4 on Rogers. Also where can I find the file to download TouchWiz?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 19 hours!

Dr. Video Games 0050 posted:

If I go back to Stock TouchWiz from CyanogenMod will I lose root?
Well stock by definition isn't rooted so yes.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

Dr. Video Games 0050 posted:

If I go back to Stock TouchWiz from CyanogenMod will I lose root? I have a galaxy s4 on Rogers. Also where can I find the file to download TouchWiz?

You might be able to find a stock rooted ROM, but I don't know how well supported Rogers phones are.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I signed up for Verizon unlimited data back when they did that and will never change my plan. So I am totally stuck using rooted whatever so I can tether and use my loving data.

Using a pre-rooted used Note II right now which is a really great phone. My problem is that it seems that new Samsung devices are so locked down that they are unrootable. Even my new Galaxy Tab S 10.5 tablet has this garbage called KNOX and voids my warranty if I root.

Honestly this is the end of my android if this continues. These are not computers anymore they are appliances. Very disappointing.

FlyingCheese
Jan 17, 2007
OH THANK GOD!

redeyes posted:

I signed up for Verizon unlimited data back when they did that and will never change my plan. So I am totally stuck using rooted whatever so I can tether and use my loving data.

Using a pre-rooted used Note II right now which is a really great phone. My problem is that it seems that new Samsung devices are so locked down that they are unrootable. Even my new Galaxy Tab S 10.5 tablet has this garbage called KNOX and voids my warranty if I root.

Honestly this is the end of my android if this continues. These are not computers anymore they are appliances. Very disappointing.

Stop buying Samsung. Pretty simple really.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

redeyes posted:

FlyingCheese posted:

Yeah, this for one. Pretty sure unlocking a dev/pure edition Moto X bootloader does not void the warranty. Also, what are you going to switch to from Android?

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

Yeah get a Moto or an HTC.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

FlyingCheese posted:

Well lets see what my Note II has that nothing else has..

1. loving great audio mods (voodoo sound!), negates the need for a DAC.
2. Wifi Tethering, unlimited, I signed up for it, I want to use it
3. OLED display, sorry this is the only type of display I will use anymore, this is why I bought the Tab S 10.5

Its pathetic I cant get this functionality out of any phone that isn't rooted. Having said that, I recognize this is the end of my root experience so I bought an Android DAC (Sabre mini-dac) and a FIIO headphone amp. They do work great except on my wifes brand new HTC ONE M8 with loving BOOMSOUND which is stupid enough to kick in when my DAC is in use rendering it horrible sounding. Great..The HTC ONE M8 has a poo poo camera. Its bad enough to ruin the phone for people that need a camera.

Frankly Samsung has the best screens, at least so far. My Tab S has the best screen I have EVER seen on ANY device ever. OLED FTW.

Im not bitching as much as trying to figure out an upgrade path that doesn't seem to exist.

Also rooting gets you SAMBA which makes the phone or tablet show up on my Windows network like any other computer and I love this feature.. ROOT ONLY!

redeyes fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Dec 14, 2014

FlyingCheese
Jan 17, 2007
OH THANK GOD!

redeyes posted:

Well lets see what my Note II has that nothing else has..

1. loving great audio mods (voodoo sound!), negates the need for a DAC.
2. Wifi Tethering, unlimited, I signed up for it, I want to use it
3. OLED display, sorry this is the only type of display I will use anymore, this is why I bought the Tab S 10.5

Its pathetic I cant get this functionality out of any phone that isn't rooted. Having said that, I recognize this is the end of my root experience so I bought an Android DAC (Sabre mini-dac) and a FIIO headphone amp. They do work great except on my wifes brand new HTC ONE M8 with loving BOOMSOUND which is stupid enough to kick in when my DAC is in use rendering it horrible sounding. Great..The HTC ONE M8 has a poo poo camera. Its bad enough to ruin the phone for people that need a camera.

Frankly Samsung has the best screens, at least so far. My Tab S has the best screen I have EVER seen on ANY device ever. OLED FTW.

Im not bitching as much as trying to figure out an upgrade path that doesn't seem to exist.

SInce you seem to like bigphones with OLED screens and unlocked everything, buy a Nexus 6.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

FlyingCheese posted:

SInce you seem to like bigphones with OLED screens and unlocked everything, buy a Nexus 6.

Does the N6 have good sound output? From reading around the camera seems lovely as well. I don't really think of the Note as a BIG PHONE, just something that has the functionality I like. I didn't realize the N6 has an OLED.. looking that up. Also, I get 2 days out of my Note II using about 3-4 hours of screen a day. Seems hard to accomplish on the N6.

quote:

Also, what are you going to switch to from Android?

I'd consider Windows phone but it looks even more locked down.. I was hoping for x86 phones at some point but that looks like a pipe dream since Microsoft can't modify Windows to work mobile. I do agree that the N6 could be my best and only upgrade path.

Tizen looks interesting. *shrug*

redeyes fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Dec 14, 2014