Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
So my 2014 Moto X from Verizon, which I'm currently using on Ting, just received an OTA update somehow. In complete shock and like an idiot, I accepted. Now my phone reboots into the recovery (TWRP) about two minutes after any boot. I could probably quickly remove root while the phone's running, then boot into the bootloader and flash the factory bootloader. Is there anything less drastic I could do? I wouldn't have time to do that until Thursday, so tomorrow would suck a lot.

Edit: It turns out that I could just delete the OTA file and that stopped the loop. I'm still completely amazed that there was even an update.

hooah fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Nov 23, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
Cyanogen the person has apparently left Cyanogen/Cyngn the company.

http://www.androidpolice.com/2016/12/01/steve-kondik-blames-kirt-mcmaster-for-cyanogen-incs-failure-cyanogenmod-to-reorganize-and-regroup/

Obviously what we have is mostly one-sided, but it sounds like he wanted to return to the project's roots where the corporate guys had other ideas.

He indicates he might be interested in trying to take the project back in the direction he wants anyways, but the company owns the trademarks, so we'll see what happens from here. Possibly a LibreOffice-style fork might be around the corner.

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax
i used cyanogen 7-9 on a couple different devices and i never really found a reason to ever use it, but i've also only owned devices that run basically stock android. to this day i still kind of have a dislike for cyanogen because it was always cyanogen the worst tokyo drift skull and bones poo poo was based off of. have the recent versions actually like... differed from AOSP besides a few esoteric nerd features (and the theme engine)?

i looked into doing dumb poo poo with my 2013 moto X but i guess there's still no custom roms or kernels that keep the sick nasty active display features which is like the entire reason i bought this phone and still use it (its great)

installing weird kernels is extremely my poo poo but it's all pimp-my-ride cyanogen kernels that don't have feature parity with stock which is insane to me. if bluetooth prevents deep sleep its not a usable rom

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
I'm the same way which is actually why I use Cyanogen, it's pretty much just device support for AOSP with some minor tweaks that are generally useful. I don't want any stupid themes or tweaked out kernels.

Unfortunately since it provides a relatively usable base for a wide variety of devices it's also easy for the xxXXxxSUPAR1337MODxxXXxx types to build their monstrosities from.

Official Cyanogenmod builds don't have that crap. Honestly I have no idea what they do beyond AOSP for a device like a Nexus other than having root available with a switch by default and the advanced reboot menu. Unfortunately since I like OLED displays and SD cards in my phones I'm stuck dealing with the unofficial options.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

wolrah posted:

I'm the same way which is actually why I use Cyanogen, it's pretty much just device support for AOSP with some minor tweaks that are generally useful. I don't want any stupid themes or tweaked out kernels.

Unfortunately since it provides a relatively usable base for a wide variety of devices it's also easy for the xxXXxxSUPAR1337MODxxXXxx types to build their monstrosities from.

Official Cyanogenmod builds don't have that crap. Honestly I have no idea what they do beyond AOSP for a device like a Nexus other than having root available with a switch by default and the advanced reboot menu. Unfortunately since I like OLED displays and SD cards in my phones I'm stuck dealing with the unofficial options.

I think some of the oldest Nexus devices no longer get real updates, so you'd use CM on them to handle that, maybe?

Vasler
Feb 17, 2004
Greetings Earthling! Do you have any Zoom Boots?
Do people unlock their bootloaders/root their phones anymore? I'm gonna be getting a Pixel soon and well, I really like the adblock and wifi key recovery that I can do with root. Anyone unlocked the bootloader on a Pixel? From what I've read it appears to be the exact same process as unlocking a Nexus.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Vasler posted:

Do people unlock their bootloaders/root their phones anymore? I'm gonna be getting a Pixel soon and well, I really like the adblock and wifi key recovery that I can do with root. Anyone unlocked the bootloader on a Pixel? From what I've read it appears to be the exact same process as unlocking a Nexus.

Verizon Pixels (including those sold by Best Buy) have a hard-locked bootloader. All others are the same as any Nexus, "fastboot oem unlock" and you're all set.

As for whether people still do, I do because I'm stubborn and insist on hardware features that apparently most people don't care about anymore over decent factory software. There are less and less reasons to bother on a Nexus or Pixel device though.

wolrah fucked around with this message at 04:07 on Dec 15, 2016

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Vasler posted:

It's simple to do but be aware that it stops Android Pay from working.

Vasler
Feb 17, 2004
Greetings Earthling! Do you have any Zoom Boots?

Tunga posted:

It's simple to do but be aware that it stops Android Pay from working.

Is it the rooting or the unlocked bootloader that prevents Android Pay from working? I was thinking I'd unlock the bootloader and see if I missed ad block on certain apps, and if I did, root the thing.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Vasler posted:

Is it the rooting or the unlocked bootloader that prevents Android Pay from working? I was thinking I'd unlock the bootloader and see if I missed ad block on certain apps, and if I did, root the thing.

Unlocking the bootloader is enough to prevent it from working.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
Even if it is relocked, if root access is enabled android pay detects it and won't work.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!
and relocking the bootloader now wipes the device as well, so don't root it thinking that you can easily revert without having to go through the hassle of starting over.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Did they stop sending updates to the N7 2013? I was holding on rooting it to at least get adblock and some stuff back.

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

Guillermus posted:

Did they stop sending updates to the N7 2013? I was holding on rooting it to at least get adblock and some stuff back.

im pretty sure.
I love the size of the n7, wish they'd update it. But tablets are dead apparently :(.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

deong posted:

im pretty sure.
I love the size of the n7, wish they'd update it. But tablets are dead apparently :(.

Nvidia Shield K1 is what you're looking for, then. Small, low-cost 7" tablet.

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

sleepwalkers posted:

Ya. I just want a new Nexus 7 😤

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

sleepwalkers posted:

But the Shield K1 is almost impossible to get these days. They still make it, but in low numbers and they get out of stock really quick. I'm really lucky with my N7 2013 since I use it on a daily basis and its battery life is still good, has no NAND problems and outside Android 5 wich was garbage, it works flawlessly. Version is 6.0.1 MOB30X and performs like any modern device wich is amazing considering the old SoC it uses.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
What 'modern device's are you comparing it to? While my N7 still works it's painfully slow compared to my Nexus 6P and the Pixel is supposed to be much faster again.

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf
Just installed magisk 10.2 and root works with Android pay. yay

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den
https://plus.google.com/+ElliottHughes/posts/U3B6H3Sejvv

Installing the latest platform-tools (adb, fastboot) just got a whole lot simpler.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

Guillermus posted:

But the Shield K1 is almost impossible to get these days. They still make it, but in low numbers and they get out of stock really quick. I'm really lucky with my N7 2013 since I use it on a daily basis and its battery life is still good, has no NAND problems and outside Android 5 wich was garbage, it works flawlessly. Version is 6.0.1 MOB30X and performs like any modern device wich is amazing considering the old SoC it uses.

It's been in stock at Best Buy and Amazon every time I've checked over the last six months or so, so if it was out of stock early, it's been plentiful lately.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh
Any suggestions for Nexus 7 Wi-Fi 2013 ROMs that would allow me to get security patches going forward? The last security patch from Google ended in August 2016.

I've rooted the device and at the moment it's running the Resurrection Remix ROM. Still playing about with it but it seems OK so far.

Pruney
Jul 9, 2012

Sexual attraction in this context is not a part of my programming
It's probably already been noted but the link

http://goondroid.com/root

Is down at the moment?

THF13
Sep 26, 2007

Keep an adversary in the dark about what you're capable of, and he has to assume the worst.
I rooted my 6p after about a year of stock Android. Ironically the main factor for this was to get Android Pay to work because it now blocks phones with unlocked bootloaders even if you aren't rooted.

Was surprised at how simple everything is. With Magisk I just flashed one thing and was rooted. I didn't have to jump through any weird hoops to hide Root from AndroidPay either, the main control app for Magisk had a simple checkbox to hide it that required no configuration at all.

It also has a setting to allow a systemless hosts file for ad blockers to work with.

datajosh
May 3, 2002

I had the realization these aren't my problem!

Pruney posted:

It's probably already been noted but the link

http://goondroid.com/root

Is down at the moment?
It probably doesn't exist anymore. The OP is really, really, really old.

KingReploid
Jan 18, 2013

"X" possesses great risks as well as great possibilities.
My 6P bricked and my carrier is sending me an LG V20 as a replacement cause the 6P is "on backorder"

XDA is showing these things as annoying to root anyone have an experience with one?

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

KingReploid posted:

My 6P bricked and my carrier is sending me an LG V20 as a replacement cause the 6P is "on backorder"

Ha seriously? Don't let them stick you with an LG phone

KingReploid
Jan 18, 2013

"X" possesses great risks as well as great possibilities.

dissss posted:

Ha seriously? Don't let them stick you with an LG phone

Yea, I found my old Nexus 5 and the backorder is apparently only a few days? I'm gonna try and get them to send me a 6P and return this V20 they sent. I just called them and tried to cancel the first order since I can work with my Nex5 for a week or two while I wait for a new 6P, but I gotta wait till the V20 gets in and then send it back.

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
My phone is hella old (Samsung Galaxy S2). I'd rather use it as a remote PC at this point. Any ROMS or setups I could use to pretty much get rid of everything except talk, text, and some kind of remote desktoping?

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Robo Reagan posted:

My phone is hella old (Samsung Galaxy S2). I'd rather use it as a remote PC at this point. Any ROMS or setups I could use to pretty much get rid of everything except talk, text, and some kind of remote desktoping?

What do you actually want to do with it? If you mean you want to use it as is just a way to use things on other computers, removing other apps isn't going to make that work any better. Just install whatever application you use (Teamviewer, Splashtop, PhonemyPC, etc) and use that.

Probably not going to have a very good time controlling the remote PC with the S2 though, considering its only got an 800x480 screen, and it doesn't do too well at rendering a 1080p or 720p image when you use HDMI out, unless you're just playing back video.

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009
I actually used to do root with stuff like CyanogenMod because it had more features and kept up to date better.

Nowadays I have a pixel that occasionally crashes apps or does weird/awful poo poo with Bluetooth that makes me wonder if a custom ROM would actually run smoother.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
Maybe someone here can help me:

So I flashed my Galaxy Note 3 with DarkLord N7 and the Darklord N7 Kernel, it works fine, boots great, looks good. But I can't get Voice/MMS/SMS, only Data connection. I'm on Sprint and using the SPR CSC code.

Ideas?

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

CommieGIR posted:

So I flashed my Galaxy Note 3 with DarkLord N7 and the Darklord N7 Kernel, it works fine, boots great, looks good. But I can't get Voice/MMS/SMS, only Data connection. I'm on Sprint and using the SPR CSC code.

Ideas?

Have you tried asking the dark lord for support?
Alternately, does it work as normal if you flash back to stock?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

RZA Encryption posted:

Have you tried asking the dark lord for support?
Alternately, does it work as normal if you flash back to stock?

It worked normal, other than rebooting constantly.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

CommieGIR posted:

It worked normal, other than rebooting constantly.

Sounds like a daily driver to me.

THF13
Sep 26, 2007

Keep an adversary in the dark about what you're capable of, and he has to assume the worst.

CommieGIR posted:

Ideas?
First thing I would check is if it's related to your root issue at all, you might need to set the right APN settings for Sprint.

I don't have that phone or Sprint and definitely don't know anything about that kernel, but if I were having that issue I would try reflashing everything, making sure I was flashing the correct radios. I would start over from scratch making sure to wipe data and any caches.

Downs Duck
Nov 19, 2005
"It's only after we've lost everything that we're free do to anything"
Looking for some input on my rooted Samsung Galaxy A3 SM-A300FU, Android version 6.0.1, build number MMB29M.A300FUXXS1CPL1.

Googling and browsing the XDA forums for ROMS for my device have been hard as it doesn't seem to be popular to build for. All I find is several threads and links with abandoned/non-completed ROMs. Most custom ROMs and their official sites also doesn't list my device specifically and I don't want to download the wrong file and gently caress it up by bricking it.

What I would like:
1. I hate all the Samsung bloatware so I would like to have one "clean" backup AOSP ROM, if I can just find someplace official or semi-official webpage not filled with ads and a .zip file that doesn't come loaded with malware. I guess Google doesn't have a site where I can download for example the Not-Samsung-Just-Pure-Google Version of 6.0.1 Marshmallow for my device? I guess I could download the source for 6.0.1 from them, get a CS degree and build my own custom ROM (not happening)?

then download and install

2. A custom ROM:
-Absolutely barebone uncluttered minimalism with longest battery life possible.
-Alarm clock.
-Calendar or reminder for appointments.
-Signal app for phone/texting.
-Steam app 2FA login.
-Tor Browser/Orbot/Orfox app or similar for browsing.
-Watch the occasional youtube video at times, through browser or app, I don't care.
-Play local music/mp3 files from my SD-card (I don't care about Spotify/other) or some such, maybe hook up to the car radio if I feel like it.
-Access to use a map service/GPS when driving now and again, preferrably some alternative to Google, but if not I'll just use Google Maps, no problem.

I don't use or care about :
-Unsocial media like FB, Twitter, Spotify, other.
-Email as long as it is gmail or whatever. Might be interested in other email services that doesn't spy on me.
-Camera/filming/Instagram/whatever, maybe I could turn off camera functions or files along with other to save even more on battery or whatever.
-Any other service/app that I could ditch.

What I did so far:
-Rooted phone with Odin and (flashed it?) with TWRP.
-Booted into TWRP and made a backup to my SD-Card. Backup of Boot, System and Data was too big for the card, so I read up on it and saw someone saying I could backup System and Boot only, as it would rebuild my Data if I had to restore? So I backed up only the Boot and System with TWRP. Then copied it to my computer, and formatted the SD-card before I fill it with other stuff. Not sure how hosed I am because of this? Couldn't see any option of making a TWRP backup through the USB-cable and on the computer for example.
-Felt unsure about downloading apps from various sites, so I logged in with one of my gmail accounts to download the following from Google Play: Root Checker, Titanium Backup, and ROM Manager.
-Backed up with Titanium. The files would not show up when I connected to my computer. I reconnected it and now it showed. Copied all files from the backup on the phone to my computer.
-After spending a lot of time looking for SA-A300FU stock and custom roms, I tried booting up the ROM Manager, which only had something like 3 roms to choose from (something called 1)JRummy Apps, 2)Google Apps and 3)Font Packs for Android 4.0)and just closed the app and posted here instead.
-Developer mode is enabled, same with USB-debugging.
-Downloaded Android Studio to my computer, but haven't installed it yet, not sure if I need to.
-Downloaded 32bit ARM, 6.0.0 (no specific 6.0.1 to pick), Aroma (to be able to customize which Google apps I want?) from OpenGApps, but I believe I should find a custom ROM before installing this package.

Atm I have no idea what my phone OS is, but I'm guessing it is still the factory one, just rooted, because the bloatware is still there and I don't dare touch it before I have a new ROM installed (which I guess will delete most or all of it).

If anyone could say if I hosed up somewhere and/or where I could find the 2 (or more) roms I'm looking for, I would be greatful.

Downs Duck fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Mar 15, 2017

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

#1 doesn't exist
#2 is only viable for popular and (usually) relatively high end phones - as you've seen the only things available through ROM manager are generic add-ons, nothing specific to your device

Really your only option is to dig through XDA

Downs Duck
Nov 19, 2005
"It's only after we've lost everything that we're free do to anything"

dissss posted:

#1 doesn't exist
#2 is only viable for popular and (usually) relatively high end phones - as you've seen the only things available through ROM manager are generic add-ons, nothing specific to your device

Really your only option is to dig through XDA

Thank you for your answer. So I'm stuck with Samsung stock Android, I guess? If so, how can I remove most of all the bloat without loving up my phone. Is there an app or something that makes this easier/unfuckable when I am already rooted? Ccleaner for Android or something?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Downs Duck posted:

Thank you for your answer. So I'm stuck with Samsung stock Android, I guess? If so, how can I remove most of all the bloat without loving up my phone. Is there an app or something that makes this easier/unfuckable when I am already rooted? Ccleaner for Android or something?

I believe the app is called system app uninstaller. Make a backup first just in case

E: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.jumobile.manager.systemapp