Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sarah synonymous
Sep 14, 2007

somewhere that's green

Mejwell posted:

I'm on an original HTC Incredible running stock Android 2.3.4. I've never attempted to root before, so as of right now I am S-ON. I'd like to get root access to be able to use a wireless tethering app for a new netbook toy, but greater internet searching and furious headscratching tells me that I'm currently SOL, because as of right now there's no way to get S-OFF on a phone updated to 2.3.4 that hasn't had it off before. However, all of the posts that I've found are months old. Am I screwed? Where should I be watching for updates on the situation if anything improves?

Just so you know, I'm in the same boat (stock Incredible with 2.3.4), and just successfully rooted my phone and got it to S-OFF with this procedure:

http://androidforums.com/incredible-all-things-root/427344-2-3-4-root-downgrade-s-off.html

It's pretty drat complicated and took a little trial and error on my part, but my phone is happily S-OFF and running CyanogenMod right now. Give it a try if you've got some time to sit down and tinker for a while.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sarah synonymous
Sep 14, 2007

somewhere that's green

Dominoes posted:

I ran through the same thought process recently.

1: As of the 2.3.4 update, you can no longer root the Incredible

2: You can get around this bug by clearing the cache for Facebook and HTC messaging/email apps.

Regarding point 1, this isn't true. I just rooted my Incredible a few days ago after downloading the 2.3.4 update, following this process: http://androidforums.com/incredible-all-things-root/427344-2-3-4-root-downgrade-s-off.html

It's fully rooted, S-OFF and running CyanogenMod.

sarah synonymous
Sep 14, 2007

somewhere that's green

Dominoes posted:

Thank you; checking the "clear cache/data" box when installing Cyanogen worked!

Now I need to figure out which differences are from Cyanogen, and which are from not having HTC Sense. My first impression is that the lack of Verizon/HTC bloatware being gone rocks! I can now use my apps drawer effectively and keep the home screens simple.

First thing you should download is QuickPic, because the new default (non-Sense) Gallery is terrible. Slow as hell, buggy, randomly re-sorts photos, ugh!