Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Experto Crede
Aug 19, 2008

Keep on Truckin'
Hopefully someone can help me with a major problem with my sensation.

To save money, I bought a sensation locked to O2 as I saw there were three methods on xda to sim unlock it via the boot loader, claiming to be able to unlock 100% of sensations.

Unfortunately, after trying them, none work and I'm now stuck with a phone that receives no signal regardless of where I am or the sim I use.

Strangely, however, some sims receive mobile connectivity (but with no data indicator in the top bar) despite saying no signal.

I've tried flashing different RUUs and reattempting the methods but so far no luck.

Any help would be great, as I basically have an android powered iPod touch at the moment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Experto Crede
Aug 19, 2008

Keep on Truckin'

Grumpwagon posted:

I'm attempting to relock my launch day EVO 4g to bring to a Sprint store to repair a touchscreen that registers phantom taps. I rooted it quite a while ago using, I believe, toastcfh's method. I'm on hboot 0.93. I attempted to follow the instructions in this thread. I assumed I was safe doing this because the thread is still active, and the OP is still answering questions.

I skipped the unrevoked forever instructions, since I haven't done that, transferred the linked file and attempted to flash it. It had 8 steps (see 6:14 in this video): Radio_v2, boot, recovery, system, userdata, microp, splash, wimax. I looked away after the first one came back OK, and when I looked again, it was back at the bootloader main screen (fastboot, recovery, clear storate, simlock, hboot usb). The video says that if it completes successfully that you should be able to hit volume up, and the phone will reboot. My phone didn't get to that point. I do not appear to be able to flash the given PC36IMG file again (it checks the file, then drops back to the main bootloader screen again.

Rebooting the phone goes back to the bootloader instantly. It appears that the unroot method has turned S-ON, and done nothing else.

Here is the information on that screen:

Supersonic EVT2-3 Ship S-on
hboot-0.93.0000
Microp-041f
Touch Panel-Atmel224_16ab
Radio-2.15.00.11.19
Jul 23 2010,16:41:47

Important information: I can get into ClockworkMod Recovery (v5.0.2.2). I have a computer with an SD card reader, so I can get files onto the SD card easily. I believe I can flash ROMs from Clockwork. The only thing I tried to flash so far was the file that came in the unrooting post, but that failed because of the clockwork 3 switchover. My normal instinct in these situations would be to go find a new rom and flash away, but following my instinct got me into this situation, so now it's time to ask for help. My goal is to get the phone unrooted, on a stock sense rom. Any other information available on request. Help (and thanks in advance)!

Sounds like you borked the system partition data. Fear not, however. If a phone can get into the boot loader it is salvageable.

Search for an RUU for your evo (I'm working on the assumption you're using windows) and put the phone into fastboot.

Then plug your phone in and run the RUU and it will restore to a completely stock firmware.

(N.b. you'll have to install HTC sync before running the ruu to get the necessary drivers)

Experto Crede
Aug 19, 2008

Keep on Truckin'

Maker Of Shoes posted:

The ROM situation on the Sensation is hosed. According to kmobs the battery issue has been solved but we're all waiting on his latest update to 11 or 12 or whateverthefuck version he wants to call it.

I'd go back to Sense but after 48 hours there there are always input lag issues and it drives me up the god drat wall. The biggest problem I have with Sense ROMs on XDA is that they are all WWE based and require WWE radios which for one reason or another give me the world's worst loving signal and if I try to match PRL/RIL configurations to use a WWE ROM with a TMOUS radio I either get no signal or a god drat bootloop. If someone knows of a stripped down T-Mo ROM that works with the latest TMOUS radio (10.56.9035 10.14.9035) please link me because lately I've had less access to a charger throughout the day than I normally do and CM7's kang whatthefuckever version just isn't cutting it anymore.

Edit: gently caress XDA.

There's a tool whose name I've forgotten that allows you to take a stock rom and both root it and customize it using a GUI.

I'll try to find it, maybe that'll help?

Experto Crede
Aug 19, 2008

Keep on Truckin'

ProjektorBoy posted:

I'm kind of surprised that there's nothing like ODIN or RSDLite for HTC phones. I'd think that there should always be some sort of PC-based tool for being able to factory-restore a phone.

There are. RUUs...

Experto Crede
Aug 19, 2008

Keep on Truckin'

Beet posted:

I recently picked up an Evo to replace a broken Samsung Epic I had, and now I'm trying to install CM7 on the device. I got S-OFF with the revolutionary tool and installed a custom recovery (Amon-Ra, since the CM wiki suggested that) no problem. After that I wiped everything properly then flashed the CM7/Gapps zips and rebooted. I gave the phone like 20 minutes, but it appears to be stuck in a bootloop. After that I restored my nandroid, did eveything all over again, and the same problem. Am I missing something? What am I doing wrong?

I'd say redownload cm7, could be a bum download.

Experto Crede
Aug 19, 2008

Keep on Truckin'

grumperfish posted:

Ahh OK, that's kinda what I figured.

Also, does anyone have a link for a stock RUU for a Droid Incredible (I)? I made a full backup of the stock ROM before I loaded CM7 but I figure I should grab a stock copy just in case if I ever need to resell the phone. Looked around a bit and wasn't sure if I was looking at the right RUU versions. The radio # is 2.15.00.07.28 according to HBOOT.

Doesn't matter. If you have a gold card, any ruu will wipe and give you the rom, radio and hboot version contained within.

Experto Crede
Aug 19, 2008

Keep on Truckin'

porcellus posted:

Has anybody had success connecting a mac bluetooth keyboard with their phone? I want to take notes in class.. Mine's an HTC incredible 2. XDA has been relatively mum about it. I only know of the app "bluetooth keyboard easy connect," that helps with this..has anybody used it? Just would like to know before I buy a keyboard.

Despite the aesthetics, the apple Bluetooth keyboard is no different from any other when it comes to how it works. And as android supports Bluetooth keyboards, it'll be fine.

StickFigs posted:

Is there any way to make it so that you can send any kind of file you want over Bluetooth? It appears that I can only send image files over bluetooth or I can rename a file to an image file extension and that will let me send it too. But I'd like to be able to send .apk and .zip files too.

I'm running CM7 on a Samsung Captivate BTW.

Download astro file manager and the Bluetooth plugin app and you're golden.

Experto Crede
Aug 19, 2008

Keep on Truckin'

porcellus posted:

Yeah I know, I'm just a sucker for that kind of thing.. cool, good to know that I can do that.

Don't worry, I wasn't criticising, I love my apple keyboard. Just letting you know it'll work :-)

Experto Crede
Aug 19, 2008

Keep on Truckin'

ilkhan posted:

Why would I be having force close issues on my evo after both restoring from a nandroid backup and (separately) wiping and restoring a titanium backup (just apps and apps/system both do it). Yes, caches have all been wiped before/after each try.

lovely ROM?

Experto Crede
Aug 19, 2008

Keep on Truckin'

Krittick posted:

I'm still liking MIUI for how responsive and customizable it is, but the battery life is becoming an issue. I'll leave the phone plugged into the wall but something under the "Android System" category is showing as using 25%+ battery while plugged in, and it drains faster than it can charge. It changes to 55%+ when viewing unplugged stats.

So I'm thinking about switching to a different rom until we start seeing stable ICS builds. Between CleanROM, WarmROM, and Fresh, does anyone have any recommendations for the Evo 3D? Battery life and stability / overall performance are my main priorities but being able to customize various things would be a bonus.

(Alternatively, finding a way to show more details on what's using the battery for system processes would be useful.)

I believe it is a bug in CM and its derivatives on some 2011 HTC phones that causes excessive battery drain. It's on the sensation too.

Experto Crede
Aug 19, 2008

Keep on Truckin'

Krittick posted:

Good to know, thanks. Do you know if it's a kernel bug or in the main rom itself?

I think it's the rom. Even with different kernels it still seems to affect people.

Experto Crede
Aug 19, 2008

Keep on Truckin'
Am I the only one that thinks, some talented people aside, most of the "devs" on xda don't really know what they're doing?

Take the sensation ICS port. The one on xda is basically a mishmash of half working fixes tacked onto a mutant sdk/aosp base.

Then you see one member of the CM team has almost single handedly got a close to fully functional port running in two weeks.

And that's before you factor in the general loutishness of the posters on the site.

Experto Crede
Aug 19, 2008

Keep on Truckin'

Penguissimo posted:

Time to trot out this classic again!

Oh God, my eyes.

So he put a hideous skin in and some apps. This is the poo poo I'm talking about :-(

Experto Crede
Aug 19, 2008

Keep on Truckin'

infinite99 posted:

If you're feeling brave you could try out this apparently mostly working ICS rom:

http://android.modaco.com/topic/349130-02-12-s001a-tripnice401-tripnraver-aosp-icecream-sandwitch-401-alpha/

I think data is broken still though and KMobs says that hardware acceleration isn't working on it despite the guy saying it's confirmed.

I'm tempted to try it but I think I'll wait until KMobs releases something since I know it'll probably be mostly working and able to use as a daily driver.

EDIT: Actually, don't try it. After skimming the thread there's so much broken that it's probably not even worth trying haha.

It's the most stable version of ICS publicly released, but that isn't saying much at all. Texts crash, the menu crashes, wifi doesn't work.

What I hate is that a lot of the times if you give a list genuine bugs, you'll often get white knights yelling "He works hard! You try doing it if you don't like it :smug:"

Experto Crede
Aug 19, 2008

Keep on Truckin'
I'm using cm7 on my sensation right now. I'm not noticing any of the aforementioned bugs...

Experto Crede
Aug 19, 2008

Keep on Truckin'

Civil posted:

Amazing! Romma-drama - one dev calls out another, who quits, deletes his dev files, and takes his toys home.

http://android.modaco.com/topic/349130-lolkmobs-wanker/page__view__findpost__p__1856775

The funny thing is that Keyan's callout of his 'acceleration' wasn't nearly as damning as the pages of people listing gamestopping bugs in his ROM. I don't think he was up to fixing it, and took the easy way out.

I suspected that would happen. He seemed very much like the sort of person who's happy to big themselves up, not deliver, and go ape when they get called out on it.

Experto Crede
Aug 19, 2008

Keep on Truckin'

The Droid Incredible is a HTC phone, yes? Well then you can use an RUU to restore it, but it may block out rooting.

Experto Crede
Aug 19, 2008

Keep on Truckin'

b0nes posted:

If you have never used the rendering effect on Cyanogen for better battery life I urge you to try it. This is a Galaxy S Vibrant with Juice Defender.

The blue takes time to get used to, but I think I have doubled my standby battery life. This is with data off. I am going to run this down and then try with edge data on to see how much of a difference it makes.

Edit I forgot about underclocking. How low do you guys think I could go? As low as 100Mhz?

How would setting the rendering mode, which makes your screen use less battery, help in standby?

Also, setting your CPU to 100MHz is a bad, bad idea. At such a low speed your phone will have trouble waking from sleep/receiving phone calls. Setting your minimum CPU value to about half the stock speed is your safest bet.

Edit: I agree with Lastinline. Every phone I've owned has had "poor" battery life according to reviews, but I've almost never been stuck outside without battery life, and that's with web browsing and music streaming....

Experto Crede fucked around with this message at 07:58 on Dec 5, 2011

Experto Crede
Aug 19, 2008

Keep on Truckin'

Rohaq posted:

Wait, what? Is this just another one of those fingerprint scanner lock screens that's basically just a button?

Unless I'm mistaken, the atrix has a finger scanner.

Experto Crede
Aug 19, 2008

Keep on Truckin'

Totally TWISTED posted:

Ok I didn't see anything about the Evo Shift in the OP. I would like to root and install a ROM. What options are there for me? I need GPS to work as well as stock, 4G would be nice but I can live without it.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=932153

While not very newbie friendly in my mind, this guide should help give you an idea of what to do. While I don't have the evo shift, the guide seems reasonably generic, so I'll try to help if I can.

Experto Crede
Aug 19, 2008

Keep on Truckin'

Totally TWISTED posted:

I'm already lost at, "make sure you have adb properly setup on your computer before continuing temp root using either visionary or z4root"

It looks like I need to install this, but what does properly setup mean?

What operating system are you using?

Experto Crede
Aug 19, 2008

Keep on Truckin'

Totally TWISTED posted:

Ok just tried that, still no go.

Am I missing something that needs to be installed?

I believe HTC devices need special adb drivers in windows which are installed with HTC sync. Install that and reboot and try again.

Experto Crede
Aug 19, 2008

Keep on Truckin'

LastInLine posted:

poo poo that's right. I forgot that Windows needs drivers. :doh:

And no, TT, you've installed ADB correctly.

I mostly use Unix so i forget too :downs:

Experto Crede
Aug 19, 2008

Keep on Truckin'

Totally TWISTED posted:

While I'm in the process of rebooting and updating this HTC Sync stuff..

http://www.evildevnull.com/

This seems like an internet dramabomb.

Wow... serious business...

Experto Crede
Aug 19, 2008

Keep on Truckin'

LastInLine posted:

I'll tell ya, I'd be half tempted to root my phone the evil way!

What shocks me is how the root tools are >700mb. I have no idea how that's possible!

Experto Crede
Aug 19, 2008

Keep on Truckin'
So, I'm having some trouble.

I'm trying to use the SDK to take screenshots of my sensation, but they all look like this:

Any idea what's up? I'm using Windows 7 32 bit...

Experto Crede
Aug 19, 2008

Keep on Truckin'

Totally TWISTED posted:

Following this guide.

Just got to:

8. Launch the Terminal Emulator, and run the following command:

/data/local/tmp/rage

9. After a minute or so, you will see the following message on the phone Forked #### childs. Press the Menu button & select Reset Term. The Terminal Emulator will exit out.

But instead of seeing the message in #9 I saw some other stuff about donating if you wanted to and to wait and not touch any keys while it worked and then my phone restarted. Now I'm redownloading Terminal Emulator because it somehow disappeared.

edit: "Package File is Invalid"

Do you have some sort of IM? It'll be easier to help via that, methinks...

Experto Crede
Aug 19, 2008

Keep on Truckin'

Totally TWISTED posted:

Can you do gmail chat? I'd have to reactivate AIM or something otherwise.

*email removed*

Added you on google talk

Experto Crede fucked around with this message at 05:27 on Dec 6, 2011

Experto Crede
Aug 19, 2008

Keep on Truckin'

LastInLine posted:

If Visionary is something that works or used to on the Shift, wouldn't that have been replaced by gfree? I know Visionary is depreciated on the Vision. (Get it? Visionary???)

Apparently it still works on shifts running 2.2, as they're basically just a wimax G2.

But every rooting method caused his phone to do a hard restart, so I haven't a clue.

Experto Crede
Aug 19, 2008

Keep on Truckin'
When did CM add the ability to unlock by dragging the icon anywhere? I'm guessing 7.1.

Hopefully they add lock screen shortcuts like in sense 3, it's pretty handy.

Experto Crede
Aug 19, 2008

Keep on Truckin'

Dickeye posted:

Is it going to be possible to install a ROM on the Razr? I read something about Verizon locking the bootloader and I didn't know if there was a way around that.

Well, internationally the razr will be able to have its bootloader unlocked, so there is hope for the process to be adjusted for the Verizon model.

But I wouldn't hold my breath.

Experto Crede
Aug 19, 2008

Keep on Truckin'

ASSTASTIC posted:

Hey guys. I'm having a bitch of a time getting gapps to install on my nook color properly. I keep getting process errors of "android.process.media" has stopped working and also "com.android.vending" when I either browse the market, or even sometimes open it. I'm using the latest installer found here: http://wiki.cyanogenmod.com/index.php?title=Latest_Version#Google_Apps

The CM7 works fine, its just that google apps package where the market is really loving me over. Anyone have ideas on what I should do?

I'm doing the SD card boot for the CM7 on my Nook Color FYI.

Could be a bum zip file. Redownload and try again?

Experto Crede
Aug 19, 2008

Keep on Truckin'

flyboi posted:

Oh that guys roms were hilariously bad. I decided to peep his post history to see if he had gotten any better in 2 years and NOPE.

I've said it once and I'll say it again. This guy pisses me off on so many levels. He admits to using someone else's Rom and someone else's (Ugly as goddamn sin) theme. He then has the gall to ask for money to support his "work".

Yes, sir. For you really need as many phones as possible to experience your wonderful skills in copying and pasting files across. And, oh poo poo, you know how to edify sign your zips? Give this man ten hookers and a pound of blow!

I hate people sometimes.

Experto Crede
Aug 19, 2008

Keep on Truckin'
http://www.freeyourandroid.com/guide/root-galaxy-nexus-manually-windows

This method includes the files for both CDMA and GSM.

Experto Crede
Aug 19, 2008

Keep on Truckin'

flyboi posted:

I see HTC went the Samsung way of copying all their assets from Froyo and bastardizing ICS. Ugh :negative:

To be fair, it seems they've tailored sense at least somewhat for ICS.

Experto Crede
Aug 19, 2008

Keep on Truckin'
I have to say, apktool is quite a cool little tool for anyone who really wants to delve into the guts of an app.

Tinkered a bit with face unlock yesterday and got this when it doesn't recognise the person:

Wagonburner posted:

So google dev says messing with your batterystats file apparently does nothing. All those times you and I sat there and waited for a 0ma charging current @ 100% or tried to drain down to 0% before you hosed with it cause leet devz told us to, also for nothing.

https://plus.google.com/u/0/105051985738280261832/posts/FV3LVtdVxPT

Good thing I never bothered with battery stat messing. Clearly I am the greatest android user ever. Now, what task killer would you guys recommend?

Experto Crede fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Jan 15, 2012

Experto Crede
Aug 19, 2008

Keep on Truckin'

Chinook posted:

^^^^^ what clock is that? :)

In my picture? Stock Ice Cream Sandwich lock screen while using face unlock.

Experto Crede
Aug 19, 2008

Keep on Truckin'

shyguy posted:

Could somebody give me a quick and dirty explanation on the limitations that rooting a phone with a locked bootloader give versus unlocked?

My previous Android phone had a locked bootloader but I was able to root it and install custom roms/programs/skins, but I'm still lost on the true technical limitation.

Well, it depends on the phone. For example, the HTC Desire was S-ON for ages, despite it having spates of custom ROMs/kernels/etc. It did however mean that Read/Write access to system in a ROM didn't work, so a lot of people didn't consider it true root. While Motorola phones with locked bootloaders, I believe, cannot run custom kernels.

Essentially locking the bootloader means that system files need to be signed by the official signing keys known only by the manufacturer. This doesn't mean you can't run unofficial things on your phone, but that the means to do so are much more of a kludge than it would need to be. Going back to the desire, running a custom recovery on the desire prior to S-OFF involved booting into the official HTC recovery, then running a specially modified update.zip which would pop open a custom recovery.

Experto Crede
Aug 19, 2008

Keep on Truckin'

Goetta posted:

What did I likely screw up if a phone won't stop booting into CWM recovery mode instead of into the actual ROM?

Sounds like you fried the boot partition. Most devices will spring to fastboot or recovery if boot is missing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Experto Crede
Aug 19, 2008

Keep on Truckin'

Totally TWISTED posted:

How is the scene for Kindle Fire rooting? From what I've read it can be done but what ROMs exist/how are they/how do they look/how easy is this whole process?

Semi-related: If I just want to side-load some apps like GMail to the Fire, is there a reputable website with up to date apks or should I just pull them off of my phone?

Not really. Most apk sites are for pirated apps.