Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Luchadork
Feb 18, 2010

Take a look at the masked man
Beating up the wrong guy
Oh man! Wonder if he'll ever know
Chris Benoit killed his family
My OG Droid has been acting lovely lately so I'm thinking it's a good excuse to wipe the fucker and try a custom rom like CM7 or that new Gingerbread one that's floating around. I'm already rooted but my question is this: Just how much stuff does Titanium backup? I've got a LOT of apps in play and not all of them let you back up their settings to SD. Will Titanium back that sort of stuff up or will I have to reconfigure all those apps on my own?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Luchadork
Feb 18, 2010

Beating up the wrong guy
I just installed my first ROM (CM7), and I've installed the Google Apps pack and let Google restore all my apps. I now want to restore the app settings via Titanium, but NOT system data. How do I do this? Titanium Backup is confusing me a bit.

Luchadork
Feb 18, 2010

Beating up the wrong guy

yamdankee posted:

Living Vicariously, can you be more specific?

What I'm trying to do is restore ONLY app data, so I don't have to reconfigure all my apps. I DO NOT want system data restored.

The reason is that after I flashed CM7 I did a full Titanium restore and everything was okay until I rebooted. On reboot, it hung up at the CM7 load screen and would not go past it. A Google search had a few hits for this issue and the only solid idea is that something in the system data restore was causing the problem.

EDIT: I think I figured it out. Didn't realize I could cherry pick apps and then restore data only. Trying that now.

Luchadork fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Mar 15, 2011

Luchadork
Feb 18, 2010

Beating up the wrong guy
I flashed my first ROM yesterday. I'm running CM7 RC2 on my OG Droid and holy poo poo is it smooth. Glad I did it.

The one problem I've found is that apparently there's no WMA support? I've read that this may be a Gingerbread thing but regardless it's a bummer as a large portion of my music is older stuff that I'd ripped as WMA files back in the day. Anyone know of a simple, free mass format converter? I don't want to have to drag my CDs out of storage and re-rip all this stuff.

Also, for what it's worth, I'm completely loving new to ROMs and I thought that ROM Manager was a god send. It gave me no trouble and made the process very, very easy.

Luchadork
Feb 18, 2010

Beating up the wrong guy
I have a Dinc2. Is it a bad idea to root this early in a devices life, other than potentially mucking up your warranty?

Because I loving HATE Sense.

Luchadork
Feb 18, 2010

Beating up the wrong guy
The DInc2 has root now? Fan-loving-tastic. CM7, hurry up and get a stable ready!

Luchadork
Feb 18, 2010

Beating up the wrong guy
Quick question about Nandroid backups and roms:

I've flashed custom roms before but generally I've always used CM7 and never had to go back to a previous rom. If I make a nandroid of my stock Dinc2 rom now, try out a rom, and the restore the nandroid, that's EVERYTHING, right? It's basically a copy of the entire phone before the new rom?

Luchadork
Feb 18, 2010

Beating up the wrong guy

Casao posted:

For all intents and purposes, yes, it's a perfect image of the phone. It doesn't back up radio or baseband or any of the really low level stuff. Once you've flashed one of those, you should probably not restore a nandroid with an older one, just in case there's compatibility issues. (There might be none, it might burn out your phone. :iiam: to me.)

I'm not going to dick around with radios and whatnot. Really just want to try a few different Dinc2 roms, see how they are, but I want to go back to stock if nothing's quite ready for primetime yet.

Luchadork
Feb 18, 2010

Beating up the wrong guy
Does anyone know of a vanilla or close-to-vanilla rom for the Inc2 where the car dock detection is working? I'm in and out of my car a lot and I have an auto-profile set to turn poo poo on when in car dock so I can use it for music/GPS.

Luchadork
Feb 18, 2010

Beating up the wrong guy
I'm using the most recent stable release of CM7 on my Dinc2 and it's amazing. It's doubled my battery life easily and it runs like butter. I don't miss HTCs poo poo at all.

With that said, how does one go about changing the boot animation? The CM skatedroid annoys me.

Luchadork
Feb 18, 2010

Beating up the wrong guy
Okay, here's a good one.

Droid Incredible 2. When it was stock I'd put it in the official car dock, charger plugged in, and I had a profile to turn the screen to full brightness with no time out. Everything was fine; it would charge the phone normally, even with the screen on and GPS/music playing.

Now, I'm on the most recent stable CM7 ROM and this is no longer the case. It will only charge the device with the screen off. If the screen is on it will show the charging icon, but the phone will not actually charge. In fact, it is discharging.

The most I can get from a Google search is that it might be kernel related. I haven't changed the kernel at all. Would this make any sense?

Luchadork
Feb 18, 2010

Beating up the wrong guy
I just noticed that CM7 has the CPU set to "interactive". What's the difference between that and "ondemand"?

Luchadork
Feb 18, 2010

Beating up the wrong guy
When you flash a ROM like Cyanogenmod, does it automatically flash a kernel as part of the package? If not, is there a reason to flash a custom kernel if the stock one for your phone is working fine?

Luchadork
Feb 18, 2010

Beating up the wrong guy
Ugh, I think my Droid Incredible 2 may have just poo poo the bed for no reason.

It's rooted, running Aeroevan's CM9 rom and has been for some time. Never had any issues, ran fine under heavy use all day.

I just went to check it before bed and it was running really slow, like obviously "something is wrong" slow. I tried to reboot and it locked up, so I did a battery pull. It does the same thing every time I boot it: slow, slow, locks up.

Tried running a recovery from Wednesday, same thing. Ran a reallllly old recovery just to see what it would do, same thing.

Any advice?

Luchadork
Feb 18, 2010

Beating up the wrong guy

Arriviste posted:

Could the memory card be a factor?

Thought of that and tried restoring/booting without it, didn't make a difference.

Here's where I'm at; if anyone has a clue, I'd appreciate it:

Currently I'm back on my CM9 ROM and it's working. What I did was install a build of Sense 4 w/ ICS that's out there for the Inc2 (ViperICS). It installed fine and restored my Google account and apps without a hitch. Ran fine. I then restored my CM9 nandroid and everything is now working smooth.

What I'm realizing is that this issue started almost 24 hours after I had ORIGINALLY installed ViperINC, decided I didn't like it, and restored to CM9. Then last night almost around 24 hours after the fact the weirdness started.

Is it possible one ROM can leave poo poo that would gently caress things up later? If so how can I wipe in a manner that assures everything is gone?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Luchadork
Feb 18, 2010

Beating up the wrong guy

LastInLine posted:

There's no way that can happen assuming you fully wiped data in between (which you'd have to do). There's also no way a nandroid restore can inherit problems from things done after it was made.

I suspect but have no way to verify that you have bad/failing flash storage from the way you're describing things. It definitely seems hardware-related.

When I flash/restore I use the Rom Manager options to wipe data/cache. Is there another level of data wipe I should be doing?

As for the flash storage, I assume you mean the on-board storage?