Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
If I were to root my HTC Desire for the purpose of getting more internal memory space would anything dramatically change with the day to day usage of it?

Like does HTC Sense etc. still work normally? Sorry if this is a stupid question.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
If I was to root my HTC Desire would I be able to put Gingerbread on it? I assume HTC won't be updating to it anytime soon if at all.

What are some good ROMs for the Desire? What are the chances of bricking it?

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
Okay so getting close to rootin'my Desire.

Is the best way Unrevoked and then start off with CM7?

What is the best way to backup my phone before I do all this?

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
Actually now that I think about it are any settings, messages, apps etc deleted when you install a new rom?

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

LastInLine posted:

^^^^
They say it can do SMS, but I've never had it work. I use SMS Backup & Restore and Call Log Backup & Restore from the Market.

It works great for everything else.
Depends. If you're going to a different ROM than one you're currently on (MIUI > CM7, stock to anything, etc.) then yes, everything will be wiped out. If you're going from one version of the same ROM to a newer one, then no.

Depending on your situation, you can back up everything prior to moving but in some cases you can't. If you can root without wiping, then you can install Titanium Backup and your apps/app data/sms/call log/etc can be restored when you get to the new ROM, but settings can't be restored to an unlike ROM, especially if the type is different (i.e. Sense settings can't be restored to an AOSP ROM). If you're moving to a different ROM of the same type you might be able to restore backed up settings, but I'd nandroid first.

Thank you fine sir. I'm pretty sure I can root without deleting anything so I can use Titanium backup after rooting. I don't really care about SMS or call logs etc anyway.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
Can rooting using unrevoked be undone if say I had a warranty issue?

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

nate fisher posted:

I am not sure if better is the right word. First WarmZ is newer and runs Sense 2.0, so it has more bugs right now (at least when I used it). Also you can never have 4G with WarmZ. That said I was pretty happy with both, but I got bored and started to try different ROMs (I think we all do this).

Right now I am running CM7 RC4 with the Clear as Day theme and it is perfection for me in terms of looks. I had to stop using the nightly builds of RC4 (it only works for the last stable build of RC4) because of this match-up. I am to the point I will upgrade as the theme upgrades. I am glad I finally left Sense behind. Now if I can just get better battery life it will be complete perfection.

I wish you wouldn't have said this as I tried Clear as Day and love it.

However, it kept on rebooting my phone. What is the best way to install a theme? I couldn't use boot manager. Do you need to clear the cache before you flash it?

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
This there a changelog from CM7 RC4 to the 7 final? I can only find a changelog from 6 to 7.

Just wondering if I go ahead and flash from RC4 is all.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

nate fisher posted:

All I did was flash it in recovery mode. Honestly all I did before flashing it was do back-up. I didn't clear anything.

Also if you are using the RC4 version you can't be on any of the nightly's. I had to go restore back to the stable build of RC4 to get it to work right.

I just downloaded it again and tried flashing it. It restarted my phone when I went to turn off Wi-Fi like it did before.

Any other suggestions? Clear cache before flash? How do I even do that?

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
As I understand it CM7 uses both Apps2SD and the normal Android App Mover. Being that I have a Desire I want to force as much as I can on to the SD card.

Are there any apps that should not be moved? Obviously I'm not going to move any apps that use widgets. I'm mainly thinking of apps like Maps that use the GPS that might be best not moved over.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

fishmech posted:

Do you have a GSM Desire? If you do, you can use http://alpharev.nl/ and the Bravo CM7 partition table thing to have double the storage available for apps.

Have you done this? That page seemed pretty complicated.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

MrBishi posted:

It's not really that complicated assuming you know how to burn an ISO file and boot your computer with the resulting disc, after you do that its just a case of plugging the phone in and letting the program do its job.

After you've done the initial S-OFF procedure, just download PB99IMG_bravo_cm7.zip, rename it to PB99IMG.zip, copy it to your SD card, power down and then start the phone in HBOOT mode by holding vol-down and power. It should flash the partition table automatically and then you can install CM7.

I'm currently running cm7. So I should backup, wipe everything then flash the partition and then flash cm7?

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

fishmech posted:

I've done it. It looks more complicated than it actually is.

Make a nandroid backup, then follow those instructions, then get into recovery and restore the nandroid backup to the phone. Everything will be just as if nothing happened (tho it will complain that cache is full when you restore, just wipe cache again) but you'll have an eaxtra 160 MB or so for programs.

Incidentally, I found the easiest way was to use VMWARE to run the ISO and have the usb connected Desire attached to the VM so it could do its thing without me leaving Windows.

The part that is tripping me up is all this talk about images and VM. No where on that site does it mention I need to mount an image file.

EDIT: It does. The layout and explanation on that site are terrible.

Second EDIT: Can't get the CM7 image to mount or boot.

Red_Fred fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Apr 13, 2011

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
Got the image working in VirtualBox but it gets stuck on "Waiting for your device..."

I think I might just flag this whole thing. I'm not in desperate need of space at the moment since CM& gave me more by default. Thanks though.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
Has anyone with a Desire flashed their radio? It says you should in the CM wiki but mine seems to work fine without flashing. Any advantages to flashing it?

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
I have an issue (might not even be rooting related) that is with some application's settings. They seem to rest to default when ever I reboot my phone. Particular settings are the orientation setting in Dolphin Browser mini and the sync setting in the Facebook app.

Both of these apps have been forced to the SD card, however DBM can be there by design. DBM may have been doing this before I rooted by FB wasn't. So does anyone know what is causing these?

HTC Desire running CM7.0.0.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
Hey guys I'm doing the AlphaRev S-OFF with my HTC Desire at the moment but the program seems stuck on the first step and says "Waiting for bootloader..." which it is in. Should I just keep waiting or do I need to select something in bootloader for it?

EDIT: Pulled it, seems fine. Although the files it pushed to the internal now means I'm outa space. That's why I was doing it in the first place. :negative:

Red_Fred fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Jun 28, 2011

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

Red_Fred posted:

Hey guys I'm doing the AlphaRev S-OFF with my HTC Desire at the moment but the program seems stuck on the first step and says "Waiting for bootloader..." which it is in. Should I just keep waiting or do I need to select something in bootloader for it?

EDIT: Pulled it, seems fine. Although the files it pushed to the internal now means I'm outa space. That's why I was doing it in the first place. :negative:

Okay I got S-Off (finally) and I flashed the new HBOOT partition and restored my nandroid backup that I made before this. However I'm getting crazy force closes and all sorts when I get in. This has been mentioned before but I can't remember the fix, it's to do with my app settings right?

Should I just wipe and start again? It seems this has kinda happened anyway.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

Farking Bastage posted:

Is the radio working? I got some forceclose loops on mine but it was kernel panicks from needing a new radio flash

I think the radio is fine. I did a complete wipe and just loaded back in apps + settings with Titanium backup and all seems fine now with 230mb free internally!

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

Seven Round Things posted:

Will the flash preserve data like the OTA does, and is flashing it more risky than accepting an OTA? (I am somewhat paranoid about bricking my phone somehow.)

My preferred course of action would thus be to update OTA and then root once on Gingerbread, but I have been reading that manufacturers have begun to block root attempts with their 2.3 updates. For what it's worth, my device is completely unbranded.

As the others said, root it now. I have a Desire and have been running Gingerbread for months. I'm not even sure official gingerbread will come to the Desire to be honest.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
I have an HTC Desire running CM7 that started not telling me when a message doesn't send. It does send them when I next restart the phone. As you can imagine this is kinda annoying. Anyone heard of a similar problem?

I have updated to the latest CM version. Would clearing the cache help?

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
I'm thinking about doing a factory reset of my Galaxy Nexus as I have never done one since I got it in 2011. Is there any reason not to root it while I'm doing this? I'm probably not going to use custom ROMs but thought it might be useful at some point.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
Well there was some config change to address memory issues with GN. What's the best method to root?

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
Okay finally got the drivers installed I think (Shows as Android Composite ADB Interface in Device Manager) but nothing shows when I type fastboot devices (running in admin rights cmd prompt in fastboot mode). Any ideas?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
Oh I've done that (took about 10 tries) and it shows correctly in device manager just not when trying the 'fastboot devices' command. Does USB debugging need to enabled on the device?

EDIT: The answer is yes! I was actually in Odin mode not fasstboot :cripes:

Red_Fred fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Jun 22, 2014