Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Krime
Jul 30, 2003

Somebody has to do the scoring around here.
Ok, totally new to Android... Trying to Root my EVO

Following the links on the OP and following these directions... I get to the bolded part and I get a Red Error Triangle on my EVO's screen and it just sits there... What am I doing wrong? :(

◄●If you have used Unrevoked forever, start here●►
Not for me...

◄●If you have NEVER used Unrevoked forever, start here●►
8. Power off the phone and reboot into the recovery by holding VOL DOWN + POWER until it boots to the white screen. Then select RECOVERY.
9. Connect via USB. There is an option for this in both Amon RA and Clockwork.

10. Transfer the PC36IMG.zip to the root of your sdcard.
11. EJECT THE PHONE FROM THE COMPUTER and then turn off USB in Recovery
12. Power off the phone and reboot into the bootloader by holding VOL DOWN + POWER until it boots to the white screen.
13. It should check the PC36IMG.zip and then ask you YES/NO to apply the update. Press VOL UP for YES
14. Once complete, Press VOL UP to reboot.
15. You are now unrooted!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krime
Jul 30, 2003

God Exists. posted:

Whoa crap I think I linked you to the wrong thing. Here are the right instructions- http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=787304

Sorry about that! I double checked and all the links should be good now.

Partly my fault.. I was so excited I jumped right over the gigantic HOW TO UNROOT... durr.

Krime
Jul 30, 2003

Got ROM Manager from the market, wanted to try Fresh, but I kept getting the error...

"Error occured while processing the ROM list!"

when I go to DL Fresh from the menu.

Me or the App?

EVO

Krime fucked around with this message at 05:15 on Oct 21, 2010

Krime
Jul 30, 2003

eightysixed posted:

I just bought a new Evo, and would like to root it for battery-efficiency purposed, but I'm afraid of bricking it :smith:

Follow the directions and links in the OP.

I was totally clueless and walked step by step with the directions and eventually got everything figured out just fine.

Krime
Jul 30, 2003

EVO here...Was running Fresh 3.5 and flashed to 4.1.1.0 and in the 30 minutes I've been using it I've come to two gripes

Lost Toggle Widgets from notifications pulldown
Lost LED Blink on Handcent notifications

:(

I also flashed a new radio which they said you should only do if you were on 4+. Now my question is can I flash back to 3.5 and be OK?

Krime
Jul 30, 2003

MindlessHavok posted:

You guys have any opinions on which Sense ROM is the best one? I've been running CM and MIUI and am just tired of a few little things with them so I wanna go back.

Seconding Fresh.

Haven't had any problems with it at all.

Krime
Jul 30, 2003

EVO running Fresh 4.2 - I've had this EVO since October.
I feel like an idiot looking back at this. One of those, just should have left well enough alone.

I was on a road trip and went to use Wifi tether and it didn't work. So I googled and read that people were having problems with tether on 4.2, so... I did what could have been the first mistake in a list of mistakes.

I flashed down to 4.1 to try that. Nope... still no Wifi Tether... so again, possible mistake, I flashed to the last time I KNEW wifi tether worked Fresh 3.3.0.1.

Wifi tether then worked, but now, Gmail is all sorts of messed up and will not sync or even email. If it does sync it just syncs back to June 19th which is odd because that was way before I even started flashing around.

I did get it to sync once, and I saw current email, but when I went back to the inbox it went back to June 19th again and everything was gone. On the computer side, Gmail works fine and I see everything as usual.

Where do I go from here? No, in my haste I didn't backup RECENTLY...been since I rooted in Oct. (stupid). If I go through nandroid and wipe all user data will I have to go through the whole rooting process again?

Krime fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Jul 24, 2011

Krime
Jul 30, 2003

Ok, seemed to have fixed most of my problems.

email now syncs properly.

Now the only gripe I have is that I can't properly update my contact card with my current facebook picture, nor my lady. It is using the info from my October backup.

Krime
Jul 30, 2003

Ok... so what happens when I wipe the following... and what is best process when going from ROM to ROM?

data
dalvik
cache

Wiping all 3 is considered a "full wipe" right? Does this pretty much put me back to a brand new stock phone that is rooted still?

Does anything hang around like apps that I have downloaded or do I have to re download them? What about backups from Titanium?

Sort of half confused I guess.

Krime
Jul 30, 2003

Ulysses S. Grant posted:

Yep, that's what is considered a full wipe. What it does is it just sends you back to a state like when you first loaded that ROM - initial setup with Wifi, your Google account, etc. Nothing hangs around except what is normally present on the system, and your Titanium Backups are always on the sd card so they don't get deleted.

Thanks for the clarification.

Krime
Jul 30, 2003

I've never wiped any data on my phone.

I rooted and then Flashed the following never wiping

Fresh

I got my phone setup good to go and did a Nandroid backup.

Now, if I ever do want to try a new ROM, I should probably do a complete wipe, right?
CyanogenMod7, MIUI, and Synergy all look appealing for at least a try.

In clockwork I'm guessing I would go... wipe data/factory reset, then flash the new ROM.

To me this sounds like a stupid question, but if I do that... does my Nandroid backup go away too?

So, for arguments sake, lets say I flash CM7 and hate it and want to go back to Fresh 4.2. Do I just go back into recovery and do another wipe and then go to Nandroid and recover my backup and have things just like they were?

Krime
Jul 30, 2003

Civil posted:

Nandroid backups are safe on your SD. No worries.

Many thanks... that's what I figured, but I'm just being cautious.

Krime
Jul 30, 2003

Sir Unimaginative posted:

Note that, depending on kernels and bootloaders, you may get Weird poo poo™ if you try to restore a nandroid of one ROM over a different ROM. CyanogenMod 7 and MIUI (for versions based on CyanogenMod 7 kernels) are probably compatible (and worst happens you restore the nandroid of the previous environment that I'm sure you made), but I wouldn't restore either over a CM6 or mfr/carrier-based ROM, and vice versa.

Yeah, I learned my lesson from last time and have been taking the appropriate steps from here on out.

Looking at it... I don't really need to mess with my phone much. I'm happy and comfortable with Fresh.

I think I'm just going to leave it be and only update Fresh along the way.

Krime
Jul 30, 2003

Does anyone know how to take a screenshot on EVO running Fresh?

I somehow managed to take one as I tried turning off an errant weekend alarm, but have no clue what I hit to make it happen and can't recreate it.

Krime
Jul 30, 2003

blargle posted:

Hold power button + home button

Thank you very much.

Krime
Jul 30, 2003

I'm on an EVO, running Fresh 4.3.3 and for some reason my wifi tethering will not work properly.

It will connect to a computer, but then the computer says there is no internet access.

Anyone else have similar problems or a fix?

Krime
Jul 30, 2003

900ftjesus posted:

I tried Koush's for a bit when it was free and brand new and it didn't work but it was alpha/test quality at that point. I already bought PDANet a while back and it's been rock solid on every phone without root.

Try 3.1-beta11. Set device profile to EVO 3D, setup method Softap, enable encryption, check Wifi driver reload, and check Routing Fix. Leave everything else default. I'm on the latest update running Fresh, so pretty much stock.

Went back and read this... I'm giving this a go, but with EVO instead.

Thanks.

Krime
Jul 30, 2003

What steps should I follow going from Fresh 4.3.3 to the CM 7.2 build on my EVO?

Any advice?

I've never switched from Fresh, but I want to try out CM.

I'm nervous about switching ROMs :ohdear:

Krime fucked around with this message at 05:26 on Mar 25, 2012

Krime
Jul 30, 2003

Grumpwagon posted:

TI backup app settings if you want, then start up CWM and do a Nandroid, factory reset (clear system/data/dalvik), flash CM, flash gapps, restart phone, done!

I followed these directions and get a boot loop.

I get the logo screen anroid on the skateboard

Then

It looks to start and says welcome to pc36100 touch the android to begin and then force reboots

Wash, rinse, repeat :(

Krime
Jul 30, 2003

Fuzz posted:

Figured out what was wrong with my Nook... apparently Beautiful Widgets hates CM7 and is unusable. :qq:

I'm running Beautiful Widgets as well and trying to do CM7... reason for my boot loops?

Haven't tried the above recommendations yet, though. Just trying to head something off at the pass.

Krime
Jul 30, 2003

Fuzz posted:

It's a Nook specific problem, if you're on a phone I have no idea what the problem is. It's also only on CM7.1 or 7.2, not 7.0.

Ok, thanks... Figured it was worth a mention.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krime
Jul 30, 2003

Anybody with the EVO LTE running the newest FRESH ROM?

Does the Fresh Rom do anything to alleviate the Sense problems everyone was howling about after its release? Memory problems and dumping programs not in use, etc.