Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

b0nes
Sep 11, 2001
so what'w the difference between a kernel and a ROM? Also tell me why a few amateur programmers can get 2.3 ported to phones but big companies full of professionals can't do it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

b0nes
Sep 11, 2001
OK I got some guts again and rooted my vibrant using the one click method, then last night I installed rom manager and installed clockworkmod, backed up my phone and installed Blackhole 1.0, which works great except vibrate does not work for some reason. I want to try a different rom but inside of the ROM manager when I go to new rom it says Error processing ROM list. Can I still download ROMs to my SD card and boot into recovery and update.zip? Did I just waste $5?

b0nes
Sep 11, 2001
OK now my Vibrant is stuck at the SAMSUNG VIBRANT screen. I hope I didn't brick it.

I tried to restore my system with clockwork. I have 2 different backups.

I restored the backup using Clockwork, it took a while. Then I wiped then rebooted...this is the correct sequence?

It just came to the Samsung Vibrant screen and is stuck there.

I did this a few times, now I can't get it to reboot in recovery mode at all.

b0nes fucked around with this message at 09:57 on Jan 2, 2011

b0nes
Sep 11, 2001

Secret Agent posted:

Wait, what are you wiping? Just try restoring a backup then rebooting. If you can still get to recovery you've no real danger of bricking it so don't worry about that.
That's what i did originally. It just hung on the boot screen. I remember back in the day when I did it on my G1, you guys wou,d say you have to wipe so I figured that is what i missed. It won't go into recovery mode anymore.

b0nes
Sep 11, 2001
I have to recommend a ROM for Galaxy Vibrant users, i've been using pepperkake for a few days now and of all the roms I have tried so far I like this one the most. Batterylife (imo) for me has been phenomenal.

b0nes
Sep 11, 2001
Question about Titanium Backup: What happens if I lose my phone? I have the lockscreen on it but can they take out and read off my SD card?

b0nes
Sep 11, 2001
I have a Samsung Vibrant running Pepperkake and for the last few weeks I have not been able to search for anything in the market. Say if I search for Angry Birds, it says no results found. I have uninstalled the market via Titanium Backup reinstalled it and I get the same results. Hoping I don't have to reflash anew rom.

Also if I install an app in the Market with a PC, it says installed and I see the progress bar on the phone but the app is no where to be found on my phone.

b0nes
Sep 11, 2001

LastInLine posted:

Quote is not Edit. I thought Chrome's SALR prevented that, FERG??? :argh:

Edit for real this time: I talked to T-Mobile today and as of tomorrow she'll be using G2x number 3. One more and they'll swap it for a different model.

Christ I hate this phone.
It's really that bad? I wanted one because thats the only GSM phone right now with a Tegra2. How is the phone when you root/flash a rom? If people are having as much problems as it seems I should pick one up cheap on craigslist.

b0nes
Sep 11, 2001
Just Odined and re-rooted/flashed my Vibrant last night to CM7. I wish all roms were like this. GPS does not work at all, which sucks because I rely on GPS. Thinking about getting a bluetooth GPS module. 3g doesn't work but that's no big deal I can stream shoutcast and check email which is good enough for me.

b0nes
Sep 11, 2001
I like the SGSII but no way am I dropping $650+ for a phone.

b0nes
Sep 11, 2001

quadratic posted:

Something is definitely wrong with your install. 3G should work. GPS may or may not, but 3G should without question.

Nope. That was on the RC1 build. I just switched to a nightly build and the same results, no 3G.

b0nes
Sep 11, 2001

quadratic posted:

No what? There's definitely something wrong. I think 3G was working from the first nightlies, long before RC1 showed up.

Do you get any data connection? If so, what kind? Is about->status reporting the right IMEI?

Yes EDGE works fine, it won't even switch over to the 3G icon.

b0nes
Sep 11, 2001

quadratic posted:

How about the IMEI?

Did you maybe have it toggled to 2G on the previous ROM when you flashed CM7? I remember there being some sort of issue where you'd get stuck on 2G if you had it forced when flashing CM7. The only way to get 3G back was to flash to a stock ROM, switch to 3G, then flash CM7 again.

I pretty much use EDGE all the time. Possibly so. I want to flash something else, I need GPS and 3G available. They say I need to download a SDK to get USb drivers because I can't get my computer to recognize my phone. I can't get CWM working correctly and within recovery it won't let me flash any of my other zip files.
Not sure about your question about the imei us, it is the same as when I press *#06#

Edit: If I can get it ito download mode you think it will recognise my phone?

b0nes
Sep 11, 2001

quadratic posted:

The IMEI should match what's printed on the sticker under the battery. *#06# reports the same thing as the status menu does.

Try these drivers. They were in my SDK directory.

Also, in ROM Manager hit "Flash ClockworkMod Recovery", "Vibrant (MTD)", "Yes", and finally "ClockworkMod 3.x"

sorry for being an idiot but how do I install these drivers?

b0nes
Sep 11, 2001

quadratic posted:

The IMEI should match what's printed on the sticker under the battery. *#06# reports the same thing as the status menu does.

Try these drivers. They were in my SDK directory.

Also, in ROM Manager hit "Flash ClockworkMod Recovery", "Vibrant (MTD)", "Yes", and finally "ClockworkMod 3.x"

No it didn't work. Ihad to put the phone in download mode and reflash the original.

b0nes
Sep 11, 2001

teamdest posted:

Actually the Tegra2, though a perfectly capable gaming chip, supposedly has some problems decoding HD (1080p) video, which I haven't seen mentioned in any reviews of the other dual-core processors.

Isn't there a company that makes a single core chip that (according to them) blows the Tegra out of the water? I remember seeing a youtube video.

b0nes
Sep 11, 2001

CombatMedic posted:

I'm not having any luck with Google Voice. I want to use it for Voicemail only (Evo 4G running CM7). I do NOT want to use it for texts. There doesn't seem to be any way to stop it from intercepting my texts. I've gone to the Google Voice settings online, and in the app, but I can't figure it out.

What do you mean? Did you change to GV as your voicemail provider?

b0nes
Sep 11, 2001
Ended going back to CM7. I tried Bionix, everything was fine exept when I went to go make a call it says android process fail. Fixed permissions and rebooted, still got the same thing. GPS and everything else worked fine. So many tradeoffs I don't know why.

b0nes
Sep 11, 2001

quadratic posted:

Something is definitely wrong with your install. 3G should work. GPS may or may not, but 3G should without question.

OK I can confirm that I have hsdpa now did a speed test got 3.6 down aparrently the 2g/3g switch doesn't work right.

b0nes
Sep 11, 2001

Slopehead posted:

I've been using this rom for the g2 as well. There are some niggling bugs with it that I do not like but overall stability is good. Idle battery is insane when you're really not hooked into data of any kind.

What app is that?

b0nes
Sep 11, 2001

Casao posted:

For all intents and purposes, yes, it's a perfect image of the phone. It doesn't back up radio or baseband or any of the really low level stuff. Once you've flashed one of those, you should probably not restore a nandroid with an older one, just in case there's compatibility issues. (There might be none, it might burn out your phone. :iiam: to me.)

So it is better to just unroot and restore a phone if you want to go back to the original rom and not use a nandroid?

b0nes
Sep 11, 2001
I thought Titanium backup batch restore would just install my old apps at one time. I hate having to authorise each app to install every time.

b0nes
Sep 11, 2001

LastInLine posted:

It does exactly what you want. Did you pay for it?

You hit Backup/Restore > Menu > Batch > Restore Apps > (whatever scenario you want, probably "Restore all apps with data") and it does them all in sequence with no input from you.

Yes I paid for it. it asks me to confirm for each item. maybe I don't have my license file or something.

Also a friend of mine asked me to root his original Droid next week. Do I need to buy an app specifically for backing up his SD card or can I just drag a copy to the desktop? This is what I have been doing for a while.

b0nes
Sep 11, 2001
Did anyone grab that Swype beta on XDA when it was up? I know you can;t post it but can you email?

b0nes
Sep 11, 2001

Footboy posted:

First-time rooter here. When I booted into Cyanogen+GAPPS for the first time I got the "IMPORTANT: This program will only appear once and is used to search for applications on the market" screen, and hit Skip because I'd rather do that over wi-fi. Now that I've configured wi-fi on my phone, how do I get back to that screen?

You aren't missing much. All it does is group the most popular google apps into one place. it's just gmail, googles, facebook and a few others. You can still get them off the market.

b0nes
Sep 11, 2001

FlyingCheese posted:

Just sign up for the beta, it's free.

Is it a 30 day demo or something? My buddy said he signed up for some kind of beta and it was time limited.

b0nes
Sep 11, 2001
Stupid question: How do you restore a Motorola Droid to the factory settings after you root it and add a custom ROM? I searched for it but all the results keep talking about doing a hard reset.
I am rooting a friends Droid tomorrow, going to load up Cyanogen 7 since his phone runs terribly now. I am pretty confident I can do it since I have rooted and changed the rom on my Galaxy dozens of times but this will be the first time I am rooting anything Motorola.

b0nes
Sep 11, 2001
Is it normal for Cyanogen to take nearly 6 minutes to boot up? I am running Trigger on my Vibrant which is based on CM7 and it takes a long time to boot up, is this normal?

b0nes
Sep 11, 2001

LastInLine posted:

Is it the first boot? If so, yes.

Android is rebuilding the Dalvik cache and that involves going through every app and optimizing it.

After that it will boot in about 10 seconds if it's like a Nexus S (and it's exactly like a Nexus S).

NO! it isn't first boot this is every time. It's always been like that, not sure if it's just the trigger build. I an going back to RC1 or a nightly build.

Also i am getting a LOT of "forced close" notices. Google apps crashes all the time, along with other apps. Initially everything was working fine but this is within the last few weeks.

b0nes fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Sep 16, 2011

b0nes
Sep 11, 2001
I rarely visit XDA anymore it's a clusterfuck. Just use rootzwiki.com

b0nes
Sep 11, 2001
I just realized a cool feature of CM7 on my Vibrant: Since my phone doesn't have a LED notification, now the capacitive buttons glow whenever I have a missed call, unread email or SMS.

b0nes
Sep 11, 2001
OK my phone has been acting weird for a while. I have a Samsung Vibrant, running CyanogenMod 7. Now when I have freshly done a wipe, the thing runs like a dream. Menus open and close with no problem, no delays or anything when opening the dialer or gallery. I can't say how many apps I have on my phone, but usually when I load about 35-40 different apps, my phone basically becomes almost unusable.

I will press the dialer button and the phone will take 10-12 seconds to open up, the gallery app takes maybe 30 seconds to pull all the pictures up, or some of the pictures don't even load at all. Just horrible lag all around. But as soon as I wipe and reboot everything is smooth as silk again. I wonder if it is the amount of apps or maybe a certain app I am running that is messing things up.

b0nes
Sep 11, 2001

b0nes posted:

OK my phone has been acting weird for a while. I have a Samsung Vibrant, running CyanogenMod 7. Now when I have freshly done a wipe, the thing runs like a dream. Menus open and close with no problem, no delays or anything when opening the dialer or gallery. I can't say how many apps I have on my phone, but usually when I load about 35-40 different apps, my phone basically becomes almost unusable.

I will press the dialer button and the phone will take 10-12 seconds to open up, the gallery app takes maybe 30 seconds to pull all the pictures up, or some of the pictures don't even load at all. Just horrible lag all around. But as soon as I wipe and reboot everything is smooth as silk again. I wonder if it is the amount of apps or maybe a certain app I am running that is messing things up.

Anyone got any insight on this?

b0nes
Sep 11, 2001
If you have never used the rendering effect on Cyanogen for better battery life I urge you to try it. This is a Galaxy S Vibrant with Juice Defender.

The blue takes time to get used to, but I think I have doubled my standby battery life. This is with data off. I am going to run this down and then try with edge data on to see how much of a difference it makes.

Edit I forgot about underclocking. How low do you guys think I could go? As low as 100Mhz?

b0nes fucked around with this message at 04:16 on Dec 5, 2011

b0nes
Sep 11, 2001

LastInLine posted:

On AMOLED screens (like yours) you will wear out one color's pixels at a faster rate than the other colors.

(This is not directed at you) I don't see the fascination with all these battery-saving measures. I've never had any trouble making it a day on my N1 without resorting to only using one color or using Juice Defender or really anything other than just charging the phone daily. Maybe I'm in the minority but it just seems weird to me.

I wouldn't daily drive it, just use it in a situation where I forgot my charger,

b0nes
Sep 11, 2001

Experto Crede posted:

How would setting the rendering mode, which makes your screen use less battery, help in standby?

Also, setting your CPU to 100MHz is a bad, bad idea. At such a low speed your phone will have trouble waking from sleep/receiving phone calls. Setting your minimum CPU value to about half the stock speed is your safest bet.

Edit: I agree with Lastinline. Every phone I've owned has had "poor" battery life according to reviews, but I've almost never been stuck outside without battery life, and that's with web browsing and music streaming....

I check the time on my phone a lot, since I rarely wear watches. Those spikes where the screen is on even at lowest brightness take a bit of battery.

b0nes
Sep 11, 2001

woodhead posted:

Any of you shits tried the ICS ports for the Vibrant? I'm thinking of installing one but was wondering if anyone had usage reports on here yet.

I have it i've been using it for a week. I am never going back to anything lower than ICS. Everything works except GPS (of course) and video recording. I have gotten a couple of times where it has frozen up but they are rare. definitely stable enough to use as a daily driver. You can't charge it while it is off because it will power on again.

b0nes
Sep 11, 2001
How do I get rid of rainbows on my Samsung Galaxy S Vibrant (Running ICS). XDA pointed me to a faq but I don't understand what I am supposed to do.
It says to flash a gingerbread bootloader with Odin. I am not sure if I need to flash it to the original Vibrant.

Edit: Figured it out. Download the gingerbread bootloader file, put your phone in download mode, then flash the file.

b0nes fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Dec 29, 2011

b0nes
Sep 11, 2001

flyboi posted:

Nova Launcher. Get it.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1389071

Wow this is really fast. It was taking about 5 seconds to open my app drawer now it is instant.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

b0nes
Sep 11, 2001

Codiusprime posted:

That's really weird, stock my app drawer opened almost instantly.

I was running that up until a few minutes ago but I switched because my camera stopped working. Very strange.

I am running ICS Passion. I am on 9.2, I have been with this rom since it first came out.. The last 3 times I have upgraded the rom everything still works except the app drawer takes forever.