Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
I was terrified too, but it's really fantastically easy. There are basically no risks until you start getting into custom ROMs, and even then it's very hard to gently caress up if you remember to consistently do a NANDroid backup.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe

deong posted:

Yea, I don't understand why but I think Cyanogen was the only rom cooker to get a C&D from google. The workaround was to keep gapps out of the rom.

Probably because it's the most well-known and widely used

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe

Changelog posted:

Common: EMMC support - Koush
Common: Camcorder touch-to-focus - Cyanogen
Common: Camera/camcorder continuous autofocus - Cyanogen
Common: Kill foreground app by long-pressing back - Evan Charlton
Common: Compose SMS/MMS via search button long press - Wes Garner
Common: Galaxy S style power widget in notification bar - Pedlar

:neckbeard:

That Kill foreground app one is going to be so useful for Angry Birds

Nut Bunnies fucked around with this message at 07:24 on Oct 28, 2010

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
Can I just flash CM 6.1 RC1 over 6.0?

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
That happened with me and it was fixed by reflashing ClockworkMod

Anyway I flashed CM6.1 over 6 and it's fine. The only thing that annoys me is that the LED notification light stays constant when I get a notification instead of blinking. Small thing, I guess, but I'd rather it blinks. Is this a bug or a feature?

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe

chomper posted:

I went ahead and flashed CM 6.1 RC3.

And when I mentioned how i'm lazy, I mean i'm really lazy. I didn't know flashing CM would "uninstall" all my apps and reverty all my settings so I restored a Nandroid backup from yesterday.

Are there any ROMs that basically leave all apps/settings/etc untouched and just affect the functionality/speed/look/etc of the OS?
Or maybe I just need to quit being lazy.

Do a Titanium Backup of your apps

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
Has anyone made a rooted version of the new Incredible update? I don't really want it (the new "allow you to upload 5mb items in email" feature is pretty nice), but the notice keeps popping up and it's bugging me. I don't feel like losing root over the loving V-Cast Store and bloatware

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe

tzirean posted:

This looks like it worked, thanks. I installed VZ Navigator for Incredible off the Market. Titanium no longer lists it as uninstalled. Am I safe to let the OTA update run from here (I don't especially care whether I lose root, I can reroot some other time if I need)?

Why do you even want VZ Navigator?

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
Can someone give me a rundown of what makes MIUI so great

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe

Aatrek posted:

Virtuous ROM seems to be working better for me since I installed their custom kernel, but now my battery widget (Battery Left) doesn't seem to work right.

Anybody know a good battery widget I should try?

I like the one on SwitchPro Widget

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe

BLOG THAT poo poo posted:

I decided to try out the new Cyanogenmod. The only thing I'm having trouble with now is opening the Cyanogenmod settings. It just force closes every time. Any tricks I'm missing?

I had that too, except with Sound. My problem was that I was restoring my system settings from Titanium Backup and it caused it to flip out.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe

Casao posted:

Of course, Mark from MIUI is pitching a fit about this and refusing to work on ROMs this week.

Ahahahaha, does this guy even think.

HOW DARE THEY RELEASE THE VERSION THAT WAS LIKELY THE EASIEST TO MAKE FIRST

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
I downloaded MIUI for the Incredible, and I like it a lot. However, I've run into a pretty annoying bug and wanted to know if it's common.

My TB restored Launcher Pro, so I went into it. I wanted to become more acquainted with the stock MIUI launcher, so I tried to go back to it. But Launcher Pro wouldn't stop being the default. So I uninstalled it.

I played with the MIUI launcher, and decided I'd rather have Launcher Pro. I reinstalled it, and...nothing changes. Set LP to default. Nothing changes. Reboot. Nothing changes. :psyduck:

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe

big mean giraffe posted:

Under settings click the Programs tab, and then Default Program Settings. Check the Default Launcher setting.

Yeah, that's what I've been doing, it just ignores it

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
So speaking of manchildren, Cyanogen is a huge one!

A site called TalkAndroid posted this article about how a few people have said that CM7 is causing their phones to go into a boot loop and it is also impossible to get to recovery: http://www.talkandroid.com/34793-is-cm7-wrecking-phones/

And the guy in the article even says this:

quote:

I personally am still staying with CM7 because it runs great on my phone. As a root user you accepted that you might screw up your phone from the beginning.

Cyanogen's original response on Twitter:

quote:

.@talkandroid I bricked your mom, and she liked it.

Followed by it being deleted and these being posted:

quote:

.@talkandroid I wrecked your mom, and she liked it.

Maybe ya'll should move to something "safer" then. We are lacking carebears these days. #wreckedyourphone

:ughh:

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
Servers are getting hammered. Took 25 minutes to download.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
So far CM7 has been fine, but the wow factor is reduced after having used Gingerbread on MIUI for a week and a half. I also experienced a bunch of annoying force closes at first.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe

heat posted:

It's HTC's fault for having buggy GPS code, not cyanogen's. Run the ##GPSCLRX# command in a Sense ROM and it will almost certainly fix it.

Wow, I wish I had known this when I was using Sense up until 2 weeks ago.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe

heat posted:

Do you have a nandroid backup of that ROM? If so, make a CM7 backup, restore the Sense backup, run GPS fix, then restore the CM7 backup. If you don't have a backup of a sense ROM, just flash any Sense ROM to run the command and then restore CM7. This works because the affected code is outside the ROM and isn't touched by nandroid.

Well I mean, I wish I had known that when I was USING Sense. I'm fine with MIUI and CM7 (Well...I will be fine with CM7 when it isn't so bug-ridden). I get a GPS lock immediately.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
Crossposting from the app thread: Does anyone know how to get Trillian working on MIUI? It works in Sense, it works in CM7, but it just stays at the "Signing in" popup on MIUI.

e: Hurr I backed up the beta and not the Market version I bought. Nevermind!

I guess this is a reminder that the beta version of Trillian doesn't work on CM7 or MIUI. At least not for me.

Nut Bunnies fucked around with this message at 10:00 on Apr 15, 2011

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe

Rohaq posted:

Same thing happened here, though only through flashing a new CM7 nightly, from another CM7 nightly. This is the beta that they said would allow to continue working as a thank you to their beta testers too. Most annoying :(

Yeah but I felt that they're cool enough to earn the $5.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
The Citrus is probably the worst "smartphone" I've seen in a few years. Absolute garbage.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
CM is still a goddamn FC/bug-ridden mess. I can't believe they're releasing these as "stable."

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
Incredible

Also the Google app backup thing is nice on paper but an enormous clusterfuck disaster in practice. A retarded Titanium Backup.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe

Kreeblah posted:

Did you use Titanium Backup to restore app data from a non-Gingerbread ROM? I hear that can cause issues. If you didn't, try doing a backup, then wipe cache/Dalvik cache/data/system and reflash (and don't restore Titanium Backup app data).

I posted that before I even did a TB restore

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe

Casao posted:

Does anyone on CM even have an Incredible? I'm surprised it's an officially supported device.

I believe koush has one.

My problems have subsided for the most part. I think the majority of them were from Google's retarded backup program thing.

rotaryfun posted:

Usually it takes a while for the new rom and battery life to flatten out. Just give it some time.

Unless you're on an Incredible, in which case be prepared for the same exact "Use it and lose it" battery life.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe

rugbert posted:

Looks like HTC is the way to go for CM then. What about the Galaxy? Is that bootloader locked too?

Also - The loving Droid2 accounts manager just adds every single faceook friend I have to my contact list which is loving restarded. There doesnt seem to be an option to to only sync existing contacts like my first Droid/CM does.

Is this using Motoblur or the Facebook app

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
My co-worker has done something unbelievable. As in, I was looking at him with my jaw agape that he managed to do it.

Here's the timeline:

-I get into work. I see him in the hall and he asks me if I have an Android phone and know about rooting. He tells me he messed up his Incredible 2 and I say I'll look at it

-He comes in and keeps talking about his Incredible 2. He takes it out and it's an Incredible 1.

-He tells me that he had been "rotating between ROMs." He wiped and was trying to flash, but neither ZIP would install, and his backup wasn't working either. So he had a ClockworkMod Phone.

-After fiddling with it, I notice that one of the files has "inc2" in it, so I realize the guy loving put Incredible 2 ROMs on his SD card and didn't back up properly :ughh:

Is there any other solution here besides "Get an Incredible ROM onto the micro SD card somehow?"

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
Yeah that's not hard at all, he just doesn't have a full sized SD card so I was hoping we could do adb or something at work

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe

Civil posted:

Depends on the device.

Yep. Bluetooth just would not play ball with my laptop in CM or MIUI. I had to go to a Sense ROM to get it to work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe

THF13 posted:

If I used Titanium Backup to freeze bloatware on my Droid Razr do I need to unfreeze them before I install the OTA update?

Correct. The magic of carrier upgrades!

Slopehead posted:

Does anyone know what the Windows Phone 7 font is called? I found a winpho7 MIUI themed build for G2 and while I really dig the font, I don't think I'll adjust very well to "Launcher 7" and the inconsistent color scheme.

Google "Windows Phone 7 font"