Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
WiFi Tether supports WPA just fine in the versions on the website, it's just the Market version that's behind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Casao posted:

It won't be an actual list of services starting up. You can find some BIOS-style mock ups that do this, but it's still just pictures.

Removing the boot animation will probably keep your phone from booting.

I know I've seen Android builds, typically intended for testing on a device, which seem to show a standard Linux style verbose boot. The iPhone Android port for example. See about 1:15 in to this video.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
I'm running CM 6.1.1 on my Evo, freshly installed with absolutely no backed up content (so completely clean) about three weeks ago. Since switching, I've noticed that my WiFi does not stay connected when idle, nor does it reconnect if I pull it out to do something. I don't notice it often since Sprint is good in my area and most of what I do on the phone while at home is low bandwidth, but for example if I want to access my home automation web page or use the XBMC Remote app I have to force it back to WiFi every time.

Any ideas on how to get it back to stock/Fresh behavior where it goes out and hunts for known WiFi the second you try to do anything data-related?

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Tigren posted:

I've been having the same problem on my EVO with 6.1.1. Have you noticed problems with 3G at all? I can't seem to connect to a 3G network anywhere.

No 3G problems, but seeing that it wasn't just me I decided to search a bit more and found this bug: http://code.google.com/p/cyanogenmod/issues/detail?id=2595

Looks like it's a known problem that started at 6.1RC2. Flashing a different kernel seems to help, so I guess it's time to look at compatible kernels and try to figure out which one is best.

wolrah fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Dec 30, 2010

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

traslin posted:

For the Evo, someone on xda is compiling CM7 periodically. I'm running it now and liking it so far.

Which recovery are you using? I've read a few reports that Clockwork has potential problems with CM7 and other Gingerbread ROMs, so I haven't bothered to test it out yet. Something about ext4.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Kreeblah posted:

Looks like there's a new version of Amon Ra for the Evo. 2.1.1. There are a bunch of changes, but what people are probably going to care most about are that it supports the new partition layout for people with new phones/bootloaders and that you don't have to have zip files in the root of your SD card any more. You can actually flash them from subdirectories.

Speaking of recoveries, a warning to those with old partition Evos, do NOT update Clockwork as prompted by ROM Manager. The 3.x versions have problems with the old partition layout. Keep using 2.whatever or Amon Ra until it's fixed. If you have updated, the simplest "fix" is to use ROM Manager to flash Amon Ra.

The most common issue is an inability to restore backups, some entirely lose the ability to flash anything, and apparently it is theoretically possible (though no reports yet exist) for the mismatch to kill your WiMax RSA keys.

edit: Update, according to Koush the reason for ROM flash failures is that the scripting language used for these was changed long ago by Google but both him and Amon Ra kept support for both languages. Clockwork was updated to the Gingerbread recovery code for the 3.x versions, so any ROM using the old scripting language is no good. From the posts in the thread on XDA, it seems that the majority of non-Cyanogen ROMs are still using the old one and will not be able to be flashed on Clockwork 3.x until they are updated.

There is also a new 2.6 revision of Clockwork which apparently supports both partition types, backs up WiMax, and supports both script types. Koush still says a 3.x revision (or assumedly any other Gingerbread-derived recovery) may be mandatory for CM7 final.

wolrah fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Jan 3, 2011

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
Are there still GPS problems with CM7 on the Evo? I never noticed any issues with anything else when I just upgraded from 6.1.1 to one of the early 7 builds, but even after a wipe and fresh install GPS did not work reliably.

Here's hoping we see WiMax properly integrated for the full release though, I'm in need of a fresh install after some recent loving around and having trouble deciding between 6.1.2-WiMax and 7 nightlies.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Maker Of Shoes posted:

Wow. Glad I have TMobile. I was pulling down 6 megs last night in Chandler with an N1.

It's the tradeoff between speed and coverage. GSM/HSPA wins the speed battle by far, since the slowest 3G GSM smartphones anyone cares about are the 3.6mbit/sec capable iPhone 3Gs which can match the latest EvDO Rev. B in both directions. On the flip side, to my knowledge the various EvDO revisions use the same air interface as 1xRTT did before, so upgrading towers was significantly easier, thus on a CDMA network you should have 3G service pretty much anywhere you have service at all. It's been about 6 months since I carried an iPhone and the last time I used T-Mobile for data it was HSCSD dialup at 9600bps, but at least on the AT&T side I recall plenty of time spent in EDGE territory, which is roughly equal to CDMA 1xRTT.

I think this might be why we've only seen real 4G (not rebranded HSPA, loving ITU wimping out...) from the CDMA carriers. Number one, they needed it to compete on data speeds, and number two they aren't still working on deploying new radio gear for 3G service so they can put their new gear funds in to 4G hardware instead.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

JerseyMonkey posted:

This needs wider distribution, here is the fix: (quoting Kreeblah as I'm lazy to find my post) FIX GPS ON EVO

Except it's not a fix and is a real nuisance for those who aren't running a Sense ROM to begin with before going to CM7. Spreading this around as a "fix" just takes the pressure off to do it right.

wolrah fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Feb 17, 2011

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Pissflaps posted:

it does, and i activated it, but it didnt work

the cm6 gapp link in the wiki (which says its for cm7) doesnt seem to include google maps

edit: installed google maps 5.1 from an apk, but the market 'my downloads' doesnt think its installed

The version for CM6 is not the same as the one for CM7, though the dates are visually similar. If you're not using gapps-gb-20110120-signed.zip you have the wrong one. IIRC it only includes Market and GMail now, you are prompted to choose which of the rest to download and install on first boot.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
When using a well-known ROM on a popular device, the odds of anything you do at all other than flashing the radio or the bootloader causing any permanent problems are near zero. In both of those cases, you'd know immediately, not months down the road.

So no, it is not at all likely that rooting it and installing a few ROMs caused anything.

As for tethering, it took a few versions of the WiFi Tether app to get it working right on Sense ROMs, but I used it on a rooted stock ROM just fine. Still preferred Fresh anyways since it had the best of Sense with the other stock poo poo stripped out.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
For Evo owners, it looks like the CM7 GPS bug may finally be fixed tonight when the next round of nightlies build: https://github.com/CyanogenMod/android_device_htc_supersonic/commit/3e7a05bd140ef4aca6c3a93896cea28cbad2d75f

These two relevant commits also came in yesterday and are in the current nightly:
https://github.com/CyanogenMod/android_frameworks_base/commit/8cc696bfcd797c60c1828ae282a477055c62c12f
https://github.com/CyanogenMod/android_hardware_qcom_gps/commit/9acf199fb8a77aed22df843f0e1193953d2893cd

Shinzul's also saying that WiMax will be merged in to the nightlies soon, so if the GPS bug is truly gone we should have everything but HDMI working for Final.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

kombatMedik posted:

Threw CM7 RC on my G2, works great. Only problem is the Wireless Tether app is acting funky- I'm using the experimental 3.0 version now (from here). Hopefully they get a stable version up sometime.

WiFi tethering is built in to CM7 (and I'm pretty sure CM6 as well). You don't need any addon apps, just configure it in Settings and you can even activate it from a button on the power control widget.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Zarkov Cortez posted:

I remember seeing some recommendations to use Amon Ra over Clockwork for 2.3, does it matter?

Also interested in this. I switched from CW to Ra during the original CW3 problems, but I'm a lazy bastard and would love the auto-install features of ROM Manager back.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
Interesting post today from Cyanogen on the Evo GPS problems

cyanogen on xda posted:

The GPS in the Evo is the buggiest thing I have ever seen. Before 2.3, we were using binary blobs for the GPS driver which contains who-the-hell-knows-what from HTC to fix these things. Now we are using opensource code that is based on Qualcomm reference designs which is pretty close to correct but sometimes the hardware just fails certain calls for no apparent reason (and sometimes they work just fine).

This is a blocker bug for 7.0 final, so it'll get resolved.

Goddamn binary drivers, I can sort of understand why GPU vendors stick with them but this is a freaking GPS. It shouldn't even need drivers, just a serial connection of some sort.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Ashex posted:

One thing to keep in mind is that while nandroid backs up the rom it does not backup the kernel. You probably don't have to worry about this unless your are overclocking or using a lagfix but it's something to remember.

That does not sound right at all. It's not unheard of for a ROM to include a kernel which may be incompatible with other ROMs available at the time, so if what you claim were true you would not be able to consider them reliable backups as you might not be able to revert if the ROM you installed brought a kernel which was incompatible with the backed up ROM.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Solly posted:

out of 5 backups I have tried guess how many have worked? gently caress all. And im sorry but backs up correctly most of the time is not adequate for something that you rely on to back things up. Whats the point of a backup if there is a chance it didn't work?

Edit: not forgetting clockworks half assed sd formatting and complete lack of the full wipe wiping anything but the user data.

While I can't speak for anything before about 9 months ago, CWM has never failed a backup for me. I went through ROMs like candy, trying a new Sense ROM every few weeks and occasionally checking in on CyanogenMod, until Team Win did their WiMax stuff and made AOSP usable for me. Not once did a backup fail to restore properly.

I'm on Amon Ra now, but only because it was either that or the early Clockwork 3.0 builds which were risky on Evos to run CM7 and I don't really have a good reason to switch back now that Clockwork 3 is stable. As recoveries alone they're both equal as far as I see. ROM Manager is pretty nice too, so if you like it CWM has an advantage, if not who cares?

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

serewit posted:

When you get down to it, though, the carriers aren't exactly wrong or out of line in their stance. If you root your phone for the express purpose of utilizing services you aren't paying for, well...

No, they are in the wrong. I'm using DATA. There's no difference to Sprint whether I open slashdot.org with Mobile Firefox/Android Browser or Firefox/Chrome/Safari on my laptop, so why should I pay more to be able to do the latter when my hardware and software are already capable of it? Hell, browsing on the full PC I'm likely to transfer LESS because I have a fully functional ad blocker rather than the half-rear end systems people have rigged up for phones. There's nothing I do on a tethered connection which I can't also do natively on the phone, it's just easier to do it on a big screen with a keyboard.

Tethering is a "service" the carriers made up to justify charging more.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

WeaselWeaz posted:

We aren't talking about Clockwork. You flash a radio in the bootloader, it does not confirm the md5.

Is this something specific to the Thunderbolt? I've been in the bootloader on my Evo all of twice, both times to flash a new recovery. Always did radios just from recovery without a problem.

I still don't think it's a smart idea to depend on the recovery to do a check, I recall seeing some posts in the past indicating that certain recoveries have checking disabled by default due to a lot of the half-rear end skin "ROM" developers being lazy fucks who don't package things right and fail the check.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

tehfox0r posted:

How much risk is involved in flashing a new radio? I have an HTC Evo running 2.15.00.9.01. Is there much advantage to flashing to 2.15.00.11.19 with the risk of bricking? I have it downloaded and the update.zip on my SD card right now, ready to flash. Is there something I should be concerned about?

It's easy, but it's pretty much the only place where you can actually cause a true brick on most phones. If a radio flash goes bad, you have either a PDA or a paperweight where you used to have a smartphone. That said, if you play it safe and only download radios from trusted sources while verifying the MD5 or SHA hash as appropriate the only way it'll fail is if something's wrong with your hardware.

On whether to do it, I personally treat radios like BIOSes on a computer. I only flash it when I have a reason to, not just because a new one is out. In the past that has mainly been newer ROMs requiring an updated radio, but I haven't seen that in a while.

wolrah fucked around with this message at 15:16 on May 3, 2011

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Shanakin posted:

On the SGS, we flash modems/radios without concern. I get the impression that for some reason they are part of the bootloader on other (htc?) phones for some reason.
Flashing bootloaders is the only thing we have to worry about and we only really have to do that when upgrading major android versions.

I don't know the specifics, but the impression I get is that flashing the radio requires it to be functioning at the time, possibly due to it not being tied in with the system flash. If the radio's software gets corrupted from a bad flash and it gets rebooted, it now can't reflash itself to fix the problem.

This is not hard to solve, just let the main bootloader access the areas of memory in question directly, but for some reason the handset makers seem to think that locking down the radio is a good thing.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

godzirraRAWR posted:

So gingerbread was just released for my EVO, but I'm running a ROM.

Whats the best method to try it out, short of waiting for my preferred ROM to cut over to it?

Do I just find a 'stock' ROM, load it, and tell it to update?

No. I'm sure by now there's already a rooted version of the new update available on XDA. Download that, back up, and flash it. If somehow that hasn't happened yet, either wait a few hours or grab any of the number of ROMs like Fresh's latest beta based on the leaked 2.3 ROM from a few weeks ago, or install CM7 and see the Gingerbread many of us have had for months now.

Once rooted, never even think about OTAs. Just pretend they don't exist, it's better that way. There are a lot of people pointlessly unrooting just to install this update and I can't figure out why they'd ever want to do that.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

JerkyBunion posted:

Looks cool enough but these guys are just really bad at making good looking themes for their roms.

I keep saying that the Android community really needs to get on the ball about differentiating functional changes from theming and stop just referring to it all as "ROMs". Fairly regularly I see new ROMs posted which combine a bunch of good modifications on top of stock or AOSP, but then were reskinned by someone who is apparently both color blind and slightly retarded to the point that they're unusable. If they'd just separate their questionable visual mods from the functional mods we'd all win.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Hamburglar posted:

Unless of course there's actually an "update ROM" button, which would be amazing, but I doubt it.

There basically is between ROM Manager and the similar customized apps some ROM devs include. The only time you need to wipe is when making major changes to your ROM, like going from a Sense ROM to a non-Sense ROM on a HTC device (for example I went from rooted stock to Fresh without a wipe, also CM6 to CM7, but Fresh to CM6 required one). Even then, with either custom recovery you can back everything up and revert to the backup in about five minutes if you don't like it.

Once you root, stop caring about official ROM releases. They do not matter anymore other than as a sign that a rooted version will likely be available from someone on XDA within a few hours. In all likelihood if a device has an unlocked bootloader anything that's "new" in the official update would already have been available through third parties for months.

For this specific scenario you root, unlock, and flash now. If you are still running stock or a stock-based ROM when the update comes out and are interested in it, you wait a few hours until someone releases a rooted version. You take a nandroid backup in case something goes wrong and then flash the rooted version of the update. The phone reboots and you have the update rooted and ready to go.

wolrah fucked around with this message at 14:42 on Jun 27, 2011

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

big mean giraffe posted:

Because someone could write a malicious app and break your phone.

It depends on the type of vulnerability.

If we're talking about something that can be exploited entirely on the device sort of like the various incarnations of JailbreakMe for the iDevices, then yes it's a serious security risk. When the problem is only exploitable through some magic incantations over ADB and requires that the phone be physically connected to another device, then I have a lot harder of a time agreeing that it matters at all to Joe User. Yes, that does mean it's still technically possible for someone to install malicious software on your device if they gain physical access to it, but we've gone from "could exploit thousands automatically without them noticing" to "could attack someone who's being specifically targeted, if it's possible to get a few minutes alone with their phone". That's a significant difference.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Doctor rear end in a top hat posted:

Is there anything that can be done on ADB that can't be done on the device itself? I thought it was equivalent to running a terminal application on the phone, so that means any application could issue the same commands.

No idea, actually. I think there are some things which can't be done by an app unless you're already rooted, but I'm not pretending to be an expert.

ExcessBLarg! posted:

You know how Stuxnet spread right? One of the vectors was USB flash drives.

A USB-only exploit for Android isn't going to spread nearly as far as other vectors, but there's nothing about them that means they can't be automated and spread via a Windows worm component. Especially when lots of folks leave "USB Debugging" enabled after rooting and such.

I entirely agree that my position leaves some still open for exploitation, it's more of a practical choice given the current positions of many of the hardware vendors plus the carriers we have to deal with. I wish it wasn't that way, but given the choice between risking a few people who both have an infected machine and an Android phone with USB debug on and losing root for those who want it on a number of devices, I'll personally take the root. It's a lesser of two evils situation in my opinion. That said, I can't fault you for disagreeing.

If we had Nexus-style unlockable bootloaders on every phone, we'd all be happy. Here's hoping HTC delivers as promised on their newer units.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Ozmodiar posted:

Honestly, I don't think I'd bother. It'll look like a factory reset of a stock ROM, unless they go looking through the app drawer.

On a related note, I've had virtually NO data service from Sprint for the last day and a half...but I can make phone calls just fine. I tried calling Sprint yesterday, and they said there were no known issues in my area...can a radio "go bad" in this manner?

I'm flashing over to Fresh 4.2 so I can call into Sprint and have their tech support do what they need to do...but I thought I'd ask.

EDIT: Of course...everything worked perfectly on 3G on Fresh 4.2...so, maybe something got screwed up on CM 7.0.3. Oh well, I've been looking for an excuse to go a fresh install of CM7 anyhow (I was running CM7 nightlies, then updated to the RC's, then straight to the full release). Should I download CM 7.1 RC1, or should I get the latest nightly?

I had that occasionally on CM 7.0.x where I'd lose data temporarily, but it would come back in a few minutes. Never had it happen on CM 7.1 RC1, but I've only been running that for a week so I can't really say.

FWIW I'm down at Levis Commons just off 475 and just pulled 735k down, 635k up. IIRC you're somewhere in Toledo, I'll be up near campus later tonight and can try there too, but data seems to be working fine.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
Using the Speedtest.net app. I think the FCC app uses their systems on the back end, but I'm not sure.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Chunk posted:

So is it safe to root the Evo 3d at this point? I wanted to wait a bit to avoid anything like what happened with the Evo first time around.

Haven't seen any reports of irreparable problems, I helped my roommate root his a few hours ago with zero pain.

If on Windows, install Android SDK and the HTC Sync driver.
Enable USB Debugging on the phone.
Plug in phone.
Copy over recovery of choice, named PG86IMG.zip.
Copy over superuser zip or ROM of choice, as preferred.
Run Revolution.
Enter key generated from Revolution site.
Wait while Revolution does it's thing with the bootloader.
Reboot holding vol-
Wait while bootloader installs recovery.
Boot to recovery.
Back up if desired, flash superuser or ROM of choice.
Done.

It didn't work via Windows in VMware on a Macbook Pro, but I think that was VMware's fault. It would get to the first reboot to fastboot and stall there. Native on my Ubuntu netbook worked perfectly the first time.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Glimm posted:

An issue I had was I needed to direct the USB output to the VM after the device rebooted. This may have been the same problem (though I was using Parallels).

That was my likely candidate for the problem, it seems like the phone changed device IDs a few times thus breaking VMware's automatic reattachment of the device. We got it reattached manually within a second or two every time, but apparently that wasn't fast enough.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

ProjektorBoy posted:

You running multiple accounts on your phone? I have that Market too. It has a nasty habit of conveniently forgetting which account it's using. This means that the Market app on your phone is willfully ignoring your web requests until you switch it over. Open the Market, hit Menu > Accounts and make sure yours is selected.

Are there any known fixes or workarounds for this (other than only using one account of course)? I have four accounts on my phone; two work Apps, one personal Apps, and one straight GMail since Google apparently can't be bothered getting all their services working right with Apps accounts. Everything's supposed to be tied to my personal Apps account, but Market keeps deciding that the GMail account is more interesting.

wolrah fucked around with this message at 15:18 on Oct 4, 2011

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
If your phone is fully supported by open-source software, it shouldn't be too long after source release before you start seeing some sort of builds (though not necessarily CM). If there are binary drivers involved, you might have missing or partial functionality on some components, particularly if the component is buggy and causes problems on the open source driver. An example of this I think is the GPS in the Evo, where we all had massive problems on early CM7 until I'm pretty sure the CM team just gave up and bundled the HTC-supplied driver. I don't know if they ever got it working reliably on a fully open driver.

It is of course promising that Cyanogen is with Samsung, I'd expect that means he's had his hands in the ICS code for some time.

wolrah fucked around with this message at 15:36 on Oct 5, 2011

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Tatsujin posted:

I am debating installing a custom ROM for my Evo 3D. I actually kind of happen to like Sense 3.0 (and I never really liked 2.x, I know it seems weird). My question though is that do most of the ROMs out fully support all features? Namely, 4G and 3D camera/display.

Any stock-based ROM should be expected to fully support all hardware on any device. They're just modifications of what's on the phone already, so if any functionality is lost it's unintentional and should be reported as a bug.

AOSP ROMs for the Evo 3D at this point do not have 4G, most 3D functions don't work right, and there's something wrong with Bluetooth though I don't recall exactly what. Netflix also doesn't work.

I'm with you on liking Sense 3 but not Sense 2. I gave up 4G for months to run CM6 on my Evo rather than Sense, but I don't have a problem with it on my roommate's E3D. If I end up with a Sense 3 phone whenever I upgrade, I might keep it.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
I'm looking for vehicle mount recommendations for my Evo. The official HTC mount is stupid expensive and the Sprint-branded universal mount I just bought has turned out to be a pile of crap I'll be returning this evening (power doesn't pass through and there isn't enough range of movement to get it level).

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Isaac Asimov posted:

I haven't been able to use wifi tether on my Evo 4g for a month at least. I haven't found any help via google, so... help! I'm on cm7.1

Are you using the built-in tether or the WiFi Tether app? I use the built in tether at least weekly on my CM7.1 Evo and have never seen a problem. I've never tried the app on CM because I don't see a reason to, though I used to use it on Sense.

ilkhan posted:

AFAIK nandroid doesn't copy the SD card.

Correct. Nandroid won't touch anything on the SD card other than apps (both official and a2sd AFAIK, but official for sure). Music and pictures are your responsibility to move.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
I wonder if at least the GSM devices could be tested using homebrew cellular base stations like OpenBTS or OpenBSC. The phone would then not be on any public cellular network and not calling a real 911 center, but the data being sent could be compared to that of a known working device.

It's not cheap to get set up thanks to the need for a GNU Radio USRP (OpenBTS) or one of a number of commercial cellular BTSes (OpenBSC), but with the number of people working on these projects I'd assume there has to at least be someone who knows someone and can put together the base station and phone for testing.

This still leaves CDMA users affected by this (if any, I haven't looked at the device list) out of luck, but it's a start.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

flyboi posted:

Anyone on a LTE root their nexus yet? I unlocked the bootloader but I'm seeing conflicting reports about CWM screwing up OTA so I'm a little hesitant - especially when google hasn't released their base image yet.

About 30 minutes after you posted this: https://groups.google.com/forum/#!msg/android-building/mpRKTbyNI8U/XRq0yScuAPYJ

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

ProjektorBoy posted:

Outside of the Nexus devices, there's still no such thing as a "daily driver" ICS ROM for any phone yet.

The Evo 4G ics-deck ROM is pretty much there. The only major missing feature is support for the hardware video codec, so the camera doesn't work and video playback is wonky. WiMax is also missing, but that's a much lower priority for most given the limited availability and battery cost.

I've used the ROM as an almost daily for the last few releases, only switching back to CM7.1 when I'm traveling or otherwise would like the camera to be available, and it hasn't given me any trouble.

It's expected that the camera and video playback will be fixed by the same thing, so once that's done I'd call this ROM at least beta daily driver grade.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Mark Larson posted:

Other than being on ICS, what other daily driver improvements do you notice in ICS vs Gingerbread that lead you to favor ICS unless you need the camera?

Does face unlock work? I'd ask if the camera is faster but.. heh heh. :v:

I'm just a geek who likes new toys, so I run the latest and greatest software anywhere I can when it doesn't interfere with what I need it for.

As for actual improvements, the launcher is as good as LP as far as I'm concerned and the UI updates on the rest of the Google apps have been 100% good as far as I'm concerned so far.

No go on face unlock, as noted no camera = no face unlock.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

thisdude23 posted:

Using MIUI on my Evo and I want to move some apps over on my sd card. I grabbed apps2sd and it keeps telling me I have no space to move anything over. What can I do to fix this? Help please, thanks.

Does MIUI break the normal Android move to SD function or are you trying to move an app that disables that feature? If neither of those, you don't need apps2sd.

Anyways, I think a2sd requires you to set up a second partition on your SD card formatted with a filesystem that actually supports *nix permissions for its use.