Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«546 »
Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

boar guy posted:

i can definitely do a shorter duration next time, just trying to make sure that people with different schedules and things have a chance to get scores in.

instead of a shorter duration, why not concurrent tournaments with staggered start times?

ie, have a 7 day start on sunday, another 7 day start on wednesday

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

okay, standings after 2 rounds:
code:
Player	The Getaway	White Water	Overall Points

TBA	418,229,760	542,364,710	22
Ciaphas	241,463,850	138,449,510	17
rexroom	117,421,120	142,451,430	15
Lawful	115,240,560	136,903,970	12
Hopdog	121,028,900	106,802,580	12
Diddly	 54,709,240	146,727,540	11
Gromit	392,327,770		  0	10
Lloyddy	 73,423,530	 88,852,850	8
Kliff	231,513,120		  0	8
Luci		  0	129,185,600	6
Labor	 60,020,110 	 80,203,860	6
clowns	 55,952,420	 42,910,660	3
Balatro   	  0	 69,022,570	2

god drat does bbcode suck maybe i should just post an image next time.

as for the suggestion re: staggered tourneys, it's a good idea; that way you can have a "final" as well where the qualifiers from the two tourneys play each other.

Next up: we'll finish our weird, hard drainy tournament with another hard, drainy and weird game: Safe Cracker. same as always, a week to get in your scores on Tournament settings with unlimited plays.

I just kinda started this thing out of nowhere but will solicit feedback for the next one since participation is a little better than i thought it'd be, though not as good as i'd like for a game with such broad cross-platform play. mods/admins, maybe you could give up a cert for plat or something for a prize, for the next one, if you're reading?

room: SonOfADiddly
password:goonball

have fun!

boar guy fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Aug 9, 2020

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE

Those 5x playfields really bring in some serious points. Get White Water multiball activated and you're basically cheating.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

No. 1 Callie Fan posted:

Those 5x playfields really bring in some serious points. Get White Water multiball activated and you're basically cheating.

i swear to god it gave me the light extra ball award once too, during tournament play. not that i collected it, or anything.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD

Pillbug

It lights, but it unlights if you drain anyway and it's such a bastard of a shot I couldn't even be bothered

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD

Pillbug

I never actually got around to playing Safe Cracker before now. Didn't know it wasn't a three-ball game, that's interesting

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

Ciaphas posted:

I never actually got around to playing Safe Cracker before now. Didn't know it wasn't a three-ball game, that's interesting

yeah it's super weird but also awesome. this is one game IRL that i can't NOT put money in if i encounter it

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Drill goes vrrrrr

Grimey Drawer

boar guy posted:

okay, standings after 2 rounds:
code:
Player	The Getaway	White Water	Overall Points

TBA	418,229,760	542,364,710	22
Ciaphas	241,463,850	138,449,510	17
rexroom	117,421,120	142,451,430	15
Lawful	115,240,560	136,903,970	12
Hopdog	121,028,900	106,802,580	12
Diddly	 54,709,240	146,727,540	11
Gromit	392,327,770		  0	10
Lloyddy	 73,423,530	 88,852,850	8
Kliff	231,513,120		  0	8
Luci		  0	129,185,600	6
Labor	 60,020,110 	 80,203,860	6
clowns	 55,952,420	 42,910,660	3
Balatro   	  0	 69,022,570	2

god drat does bbcode suck maybe i should just post an image next time.

as for the suggestion re: staggered tourneys, it's a good idea; that way you can have a "final" as well where the qualifiers from the two tourneys play each other.

Next up: we'll finish our weird, hard drainy tournament with another hard, drainy and weird game: Safe Cracker. same as always, a week to get in your scores on Tournament settings with unlimited plays.

I just kinda started this thing out of nowhere but will solicit feedback for the next one since participation is a little better than i thought it'd be, though not as good as i'd like for a game with such broad cross-platform play. mods/admins, maybe you could give up a cert for plat or something for a prize, for the next one, if you're reading?

room: SonOfADiddly
password:goonball

have fun!

I just want to say that I appreciate you putting in the effort to set up these little tourneys. I've been jonesing for some competitive pinball and this really revitalized my interest in Pinball FX3.

Safe Cracker sucks though I don't care how cool a concept it is it feels cramped and confusing

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

even at my favorite tables everyone can beat my best

e: on an actual real physical tournament setup for whitewater are you able to overshoot the upper play field when you plunge the ball?

The Voice of Labor fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Aug 10, 2020

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD

Pillbug

The Voice of Labor posted:

even at my favorite tables everyone can beat my best

e: on an actual real physical tournament setup for whitewater are you able to overshoot the upper play field when you plunge the ball?

as in coming down the Spine Chiller? IRL it's much easier to plunge too hard and go there, instead of to the upper playfield

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

yeah

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD

Pillbug

Uh, apparently the Vault Assault mode started with the magic tokens are scored on the same scoreboard? What?

tobeannouncd
Oct 2, 2011

The tiger took my family

Ciaphas posted:

Uh, apparently the Vault Assault mode started with the magic tokens are scored on the same scoreboard? What?

Well, that's one way to level the playing field (yeah, I know you need to earn a token first, but still). It's better than the billion point shot on Bride of Pinbot.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

LawfulWaffle posted:

I just want to say that I appreciate you putting in the effort to set up these little tourneys. I've been jonesing for some competitive pinball and this really revitalized my interest in Pinball FX3.

my pleasure! i actually quit competitive IRL pinball back in February, but this little tourney has also revitalized my interest in it

as for SafeCracker, yes, you are probably gonna have to play until you beat the board game to get a high score for this one the next tourney will use more popular/less weird tables

for the next one we'll do shorter time periods and more games. i would love to see a hundred people playing in these things

Joiny
Aug 9, 2005

boar guy posted:

i would take someone with you that knows what to look for, and at the very least peruse this before you go: https://www.gameroomguys.com/guide-...inball-machines

play the game for half an hour before you pay for it. but the price seems fair, unless it needs a ton of work.

also, are you comfortable soldering? using a voltmeter? reading a wiring diagram? pinball repair is $80 an hour so either resign yourself to paying that every time a target doesn't register, or resign yourself to learning to wrench on machines. i wouldn't feel comfortable buying an EM because even the guys i know that work on pins professionally say if you look at them wrong they stop working properly.
these machines take maintenance. there's nothing set it and forget it about them. i think that's important to know.

Tony Phillips posted:

If it's clean and fully working, $1k for a Capt Fantastic isn't even that bad. Not my favorite table, but highly regarded. Condition is king of course, and with EMs this goes doubly so for the backglass. It's stupid how much the value of an EM is tied up in the backglass. Off the top of my head, I think CF has a mirrored backglass. You'll want as little flaking as possible...

Thank you for the advice! Luckily I have a good amount of training with voltmeters, wiring diagrams, and problem solving computer bullshit, so this does sound like a good opportunity to pick up a table on the 'cheap' and test out how much I like maintaining it haha. Will give some updates if/when the deal goes through.

Edit:For anyone who likes Pinball FX on the switch, many of the tables are on sale for historical lows now.

Joiny fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Aug 10, 2020

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!

boar guy posted:

as for SafeCracker, yes, you are probably gonna have to play until you beat the board game to get a high score for this one the next tourney will use more popular/less weird tables

This tournament is the first time I've ever played it, and it is not appealing at all. However, the contest is a good way of making me spend some real time on it, as sometimes what seems like a dire table becomes good when you learn the rules. That certainly happened with some of the original FX tables.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

USPOL May

Fish Tales is in the house.

But I was so worried about the widths and lengths of the car and our house doors, that I completely neglected to think about the height of my basement ceiling. The fish topper is going to have to sit on a shelf to the side.

EDIT:

Inferior Third Season fucked around with this message at 15:20 on Aug 11, 2020

«546 »