Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

roffels
Jul 27, 2004

Yo Taxi!

drat Dirty Ape posted:

I'm probably a year away from affording a machine and Godzilla premium is towards the top of my list. I'm not even a huge fan of the theme, it just looks really fun.

It is. The pro is pretty fun too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006
Pro seemed pretty good for the *checks notes* single game I put on it. But put a dozen or so games on a friend's LE yesterday and it's considerably better. Definitely one of the games where the difference between pro and prem/le is pretty extreme.

Mr. Moose Knuckle
Dec 2, 2004
Whats worse than cameltoe you ask....
I've decided to purchase a used Deadpool Pro table from a semi-local distributor and it's my first pinball table ever. I'm curious what I should be concerned about with a table that has ~7500 plays on it. He sent over photos and the playfield looks to be in good condition (with minor dimpling) and he said he was going to rebuild the flippers before I pick it up. I was on the fence for waiting for a new Pro or LE, but decided the cost difference was worth picking up a used one. Other than seeing about playing a game to make sure the bumpers/actuators seem good, what else should I be on the look out for? I've played the hell out of the Deadpool table at the local arcade, just nervous about driving ~3 hours to pick up a table drat near sight unseen.

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006

Mr. Moose Knuckle posted:

I've decided to purchase a used Deadpool Pro table from a semi-local distributor and it's my first pinball table ever. I'm curious what I should be concerned about with a table that has ~7500 plays on it. He sent over photos and the playfield looks to be in good condition (with minor dimpling) and he said he was going to rebuild the flippers before I pick it up. I was on the fence for waiting for a new Pro or LE, but decided the cost difference was worth picking up a used one. Other than seeing about playing a game to make sure the bumpers/actuators seem good, what else should I be on the look out for? I've played the hell out of the Deadpool table at the local arcade, just nervous about driving ~3 hours to pick up a table drat near sight unseen.

The big Deadpool specific thing to look out for is damage to the playfield at the entrance of the Katana lock shot. Another case of stern placing multiple metal rails directly on the playfield in places that take direct hits.

A post with pics of what the damage can look like in ugly cases:
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/deadpool-owners-club-free-chimichangas-for-all/page/78#post-5146331

And the general fix:
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/deadpool-owners-club-free-chimichangas-for-all/page/78#post-5144489

I actually went through placing similar washers under every drat rail in the game, but I'll admit that that was over board. If you're buying a routed game with that many plays on it - be prepared to see some issues in that spot. Not 100% guaranteed to happen, but pretty common. Cliffy makes a protector that will hide any damage if it exists and prevent further.

Not as common, but the back rail of the Wolverine orbit can have similar issues:
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/deadpool-owners-club-free-chimichangas-for-all/page/144#post-5859836

Annnnd seemingly less of an issue - the left ramp can also do some damage:
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/i-have-a-nib-deadpool-and-some-maintenance-questions#post-5994826
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/deadpool-owners-club-free-chimichangas-for-all/page/172#post-6137448

Check those spots - don't be surprised if there's some damage there and know ahead of time how much it might bug you if there is. Otherwise - great choice etc etc. Deadpool is stupid fun.

tonedef131
Sep 3, 2003

Pro is the way to go in Deadpool, I honestly wouldn’t be willing to pay any extra for the premium. Deadpool is great because of its shot layout and ruleset, not a bunch of mechanical toys. There’s really no problem areas, just make sure the katana locks are all working and the sword handle/lock cover isn’t broken at it’s mount points. I’ve had mine on route since launch, it’s always had heavy plays and I’ve never encountered any problems outside of the usual adjustments or lighting fixes. Enjoy, it’s my favorite Stern.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

DP is a very strong contender for the next NIB unless Elvira goes back on the line. just a great game all around. if you don't like the snikt shot I advise you to git gud

Mr. Moose Knuckle
Dec 2, 2004

Tony Phillips posted:

The big Deadpool specific thing to look out for is damage to the playfield at the entrance of the Katana lock shot. Another case of stern placing multiple metal rails directly on the playfield in places that take direct hits.

A post with pics of what the damage can look like in ugly cases:
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/deadpool-owners-club-free-chimichangas-for-all/page/78#post-5146331

And the general fix:
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/deadpool-owners-club-free-chimichangas-for-all/page/78#post-5144489

I actually went through placing similar washers under every drat rail in the game, but I'll admit that that was over board. If you're buying a routed game with that many plays on it - be prepared to see some issues in that spot. Not 100% guaranteed to happen, but pretty common. Cliffy makes a protector that will hide any damage if it exists and prevent further.

Not as common, but the back rail of the Wolverine orbit can have similar issues:
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/deadpool-owners-club-free-chimichangas-for-all/page/144#post-5859836

Annnnd seemingly less of an issue - the left ramp can also do some damage:
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/i-have-a-nib-deadpool-and-some-maintenance-questions#post-5994826
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/deadpool-owners-club-free-chimichangas-for-all/page/172#post-6137448

Check those spots - don't be surprised if there's some damage there and know ahead of time how much it might bug you if there is. Otherwise - great choice etc etc. Deadpool is stupid fun.

Awesome, thanks for the heads up. I looked back at the photos the guy sent over and it doesn't appear I have any chipping in those areas. I'll know more when I go to pick it up and can check it in detail.

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006
Thursday night for some random rear end reason I showed my wife a few pictures of Abra Ca Dabra over beers and pizza at dinner. Even she had to agree - yeah, that wizard looks cool as Hell.

"But don't worry, I know I'll have to sell one before I can get another. We're way out of room."

48 hours, an unexpected but hilariously timed for sale post in a local EM Facebook group and some creative furniture shifting later:

roffels
Jul 27, 2004

Yo Taxi!

Your wife is too patient and kind.

Paul Proteus
Dec 6, 2007

Zombina says "si hoc legere scis nimium eruditionis habes!"
That's a sexy Gottlieb EM. Jealous.

What are those covers on the machine next to it?

Paul Proteus fucked around with this message at 13:41 on Nov 7, 2021

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006

roffels posted:

Your wife is too patient and kind.

Times ten. And when I told her that this really won't happen again unless a similarly reasonably priced El Dorado/Gold Strike pops up - she started looking at the spare bedroom to picture where I could fit another one.

Marry well boys, and then treat her right. My wife doesn't care about pinball at all but 100% enjoys my obsessiveness with it and actually encourages this absurdity.

Paul Proteus posted:

That's a sexy Gottlieb EM. Jealous.

What are those covers on the machine next to it?

I splurged on a Deadpool last Spring. I'm paranoid, so I bought a cover for it from Marcos to avoid any cabinet fade issues.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

Tony Phillips posted:

I'm paranoid, so I bought a cover for it from Marcos to avoid any cabinet fade issues.

i cant find one that will fit the topper so my wife is gonna sew one :)

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Played a whole bunch of pinball on the weekend.

Did pretty miserable but I managed to shake a ball out of the right outlane so I felt like Bowen and that made up for it.

Playing Rick and Morty, and Willy Wonkas and the new Sterns (JP, etc) it really blows my mind away how good the hobby is. Last time I played all the modern Sterns a few years ago they were kinda lame I felt.

algebra testes fucked around with this message at 12:06 on Nov 9, 2021

Mr. Moose Knuckle
Dec 2, 2004

boar guy posted:

DP is a very strong contender for the next NIB unless Elvira goes back on the line. just a great game all around. if you don't like the snikt shot I advise you to git gud

I was going to hold out for a NIB Deadpool, but it seems they wont be building new ones until July 2022 and the Premium in December (according the the distributor I'm going through anyways). It's stupid, but Saturday can't show up soon enough.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

Mr. Moose Knuckle posted:

I was going to hold out for a NIB Deadpool, but it seems they wont be building new ones until July 2022 and the Premium in December (according the the distributor I'm going through anyways). It's stupid, but Saturday can't show up soon enough.

i decided i only want NIBs so i will take the 6-9 months it will take to save ten grand and then see what's available. not in any hurry :)

and i get it re: saturday. when i got the fedex notice that the machine had shipped i wore out the refresh button on their site tracking the shipment. enjoy the gently caress out of it man

KingShiro
Jan 10, 2008

EH?!?!?!
Went to Play Port for the first time in several months and they got rid of their PinBot (boooooo) and in it’s place is a broken Hurricane machine.

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

Not sure how long it's gonna last but Zaccaria Pinball's starter pack is $4.99 on Steam right now. Picked it up and I'm impressed.

rockinricky
Mar 27, 2003
The Retail Archaeology channel did a video about the Pinball Hall of Fame in Vegas.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y53ph_GN-rw

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Zeether posted:

Not sure how long it's gonna last but Zaccaria Pinball's starter pack is $4.99 on Steam right now. Picked it up and I'm impressed.

Zaccaria's great, but I feel bad for the studio that makes it because they've basically ran out of real tables and now they're just repackaging the same tables with different gimmicks. I bought the complete Gold Edition a while back when it was on sale.

Their original tables are kind of awful, as are their "retro" remakes which try to reimagine Zaccaria tables as Gottleib-style EM tables.

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Number 1 Nerd Tear Farmer 2022.

Keep it up, champ.

Also you're a skeleton warrior now. Kree.
Unlockable Ben
Most of their original tables are layouts of modern tables hidden by playfields over the top. Pool Champion Deluxe is basically Willy Wonka, for instance.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
The next Williams Pinball FX3 table has been announced as 1993's Indiana Jones: The Pinball Adventure, scheduled for March.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_8GRbIrVwVc

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

they're still making tables for FX3? the gently caress?

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
I thought there wasn't gonna be any new tables for FX3 and they were moving to a new platform?

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

Maybe they came to their sense after the backlash? I mean, pinball is already a very niche hobby and you don't want to piss off what few consumers you have.

Now they just need to offer a front-end, even a paid one, to play all their Williams tables in VR. I'd throw down like $15-25 for a VR FX3 if it meant I get to play all their Williams machines without rebuying them. But lol at that ever happening.

Njashi9
Nov 2, 2012
I really hope that Zen are going to pick up the slack in the future. More than a year between releases of Williams/Bally tables isn't really what we were hoping for when they got the license.

Makes one nostalgic for the 1-2 table a month schedule Farsight had going for quite a while.

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yoa-L32oQ10

A little more info, and confirming that it will be on FX3 as well as their new platform FX.

Edit - ah ha ha. I forgot that not only are the FX3 tables not carrying over to the new platform but it's an Epic exclusive for the first year. At least Indy is a good table, but I have to imagine this is it for FX3 and Williams.

Fake edit - someone please punch me in the dick if I rebuy these tables (again) on the new platform, and do it twice if I buy it on Epic.

Tony Phillips fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Dec 16, 2021

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

We're doing some home remodeling and I jokingly mentioned to my wife that a big empty space we have in one of our living rooms would be the perfect spot for a pinball machine. She didn't outright deny me and now I'm looking at pinball machines and then stopped looking once I saw some of the prices for tables that I might consider. Newer Sterns are just outrageous, Rick/Morty machine lol no, classic popular pins HA!

Maybe I'll just dump some money into upgrading my virtual cabinet to 4k, oh wait you can't even buy loving video cards right now, ugh.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

mattfl posted:

We're doing some home remodeling and I jokingly mentioned to my wife that a big empty space we have in one of our living rooms would be the perfect spot for a pinball machine. She didn't outright deny me and now I'm looking at pinball machines and then stopped looking once I saw some of the prices for tables that I might consider. Newer Sterns are just outrageous, Rick/Morty machine lol no, classic popular pins HA!

Maybe I'll just dump some money into upgrading my virtual cabinet to 4k, oh wait you can't even buy loving video cards right now, ugh.

it is a god drat terrible time to buy a pinball. there is a loving batman forever on pinside for close to 7 grand RN

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

There are decent tables popping up on eBay all the time for $2 to $4k. They're not anything spectacular but they're out there. I can't even afford tables that cheap though myself, so :shrug:

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

I was hoping Zen would have put Bride of Pin-Bot next in their table recreations but knowing how much they had to censor even Theatre of Magic's backboard, I kind of doubt they'd want to handle it

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Keep it up, champ.

Unlockable Ben
Indiana Jones is a.. surprising choice for their first license table.

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!

hyphz posted:

Indiana Jones is a.. surprising choice for their first license table.

If they would make the Addams Family just for FX4 that would probably make me finally buy something on the Epic Store.

Desdinova
Dec 16, 2004
I had to be on my toes, like a midget at a urinal!

uXs posted:

If they would make the Addams Family just for FX4 that would probably make me finally buy something on the Epic Store.

Twilight Zone, too.

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Keep it up, champ.

Unlockable Ben
Doh. It’s not their first licensed Williams table either. Creature exists.

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006

hyphz posted:

Doh. It’s not their first licensed Williams table either. Creature exists.

And Monster Bash. Though I've read that the old movie character rights are relatively cheap to buy licensing for. Indy is still rad. Farsight would be holding yet another gofundme or something for sure.

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Keep it up, champ.

Unlockable Ben
I wouldn’t be surprised. I’m told that WoZ was the result of the JJP guy asking his lawyer “ok, what licenses are super cheap?”

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
i'm excited to play this since i've never gotten a chance, but i'm still bummed out about the schedule and the fact that it's probably the last one... there are so many tables i want...

DevCore
Jul 16, 2003

Schooled by Satan

Been getting the pinball itch again and I don't feel like setting up my PS3 to play all my Pinball Arcade titles.

Should I avoid buying anything on the FX3 platform? It seems like they're getting ready to sunset it.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

Yeah, weirdly, they just announced IJTPA for FX3- after already announcing that they are retiring the platform and purchased games will not carry over to the new title.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Keep it up, champ.

Unlockable Ben
The new platform will almost certainly be sub based. They’re cranking out tables for Pinball Party on Apple Arcade.