Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

"white" incandescent lights

"white" LED lights

:magical:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

boar guy posted:

"white" incandescent lights

"white" LED lights

:magical:

Oh man. They have that type of conversion kit for my car's dome lights, and the catalog photos are just as stark. It's like, don't even call the incandescents white...

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

You're comparing a warm white bulb to a cool white bulb. It's not like the manufacturer of the incandescent was trying to hit the cool white spectrum and missed.

Some tables look great with cool white LED replacements, but some just look weird because they're overpowering and distracting.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

yeah just comparing not judging

roffels
Jul 27, 2004

Yo Taxi!

Regarding abuse - it's hard to know where the line is. I've been lectured on location for aggressive slides and nudges to save a ball and not tilt out - I've asked the operator if he minds, he didn't, but spectators think it's abuse. Is it? My mind is that if it was problematic, the operator would adjust the tilt bob.

I'm totally on board with calling out rage tilts and anger directed at the machine.

tonedef131
Sep 3, 2003

Rage tilts are just bad sportsmanship and bring everyone down, but probably aren't going to hurt the machine. We have a rule that if you tilt through your ball into the next player it's an automatic disqualification from the event.

Short of slamming on the glass or hitting the coin door you're probably not going to damage anything. Aggressive tilting will eventually loosen the legs but really any nudging will over time with the cheap brackets Stern uses, so operators just need to be in the habit of checking those regularly. Hitting the coin doors is the only thing that really pisses me off, if I see that happening on the camera I will just shut the game off remotely. Otherwise I think spectators just think aggressive nudging is disrespectful and slide saving is cheating.

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

If anyone's playing pbfx3 on steam, add me. steam name should be the same as forum name

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!
Added you, and I hope I don't regret it!

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

gah, one of the rad local spots is going to open up tomorrow. i reeeeeeeeeeeeally want to go and support them but i'm super torn. the 'roni numbers look real bad and like they're getting worse

edit:

what do y'all think

boar guy fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Jun 11, 2020

Clouseau
Aug 3, 2003

My theories appall you, my heresies outrage you, I never answer letters, and you don't like my tie.
Lol, absolutely not.

I desperately want to play pinball again and absolutely want to support my arcade favorites in a really tough time, but a closed ventilated area with games you have to put your hands on, no way.

robot roll call
Mar 7, 2006

dance dance dance dance dance to the radio

It looks like a spread out enough area but it's still indoors and you're touching a bunch of things other people also touched. I wouldn't even do it if they were sanitizing every machine after every play (which they should be).

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

they are trying. that's about half their normal number of machines. i think i'm out, though.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
I’d be inclined to pay them and then not show up, but that’s just me. The spacing looks okay, but I’m wary as hell of indoor spaces with recirculating air.

I haven’t looked into what the Portland scene is doing yet, but I haven’t even gone back to my gym since it reopened, much less doing recreational things indoors.

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

wedgeheads exists because it is a gateway to the etherial plane

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006

The Voice of Labor posted:

wedgeheads exists because it is a gateway to the etherial plane

Adjusting a Gottlieb AS relay is straight up the doorway to Hell.

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

sorry, the bar, not the table style

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

trip report from a guy what went to play, seems like they did a pretty good job:

"They did it so well. First off there was only 3 people there. All had masks. Hand sanitizer at the door. All games were off and 6ft apart. When you wanted to play one you turned it on and played. When you are done you leave it on. They would come behind and clean the on games then turn them back off. "

Shock Trooper
Oct 24, 2006

TERROR BALTIMORE

Dirt Road Junglist posted:

I haven’t looked into what the Portland scene is doing yet, but I haven’t even gone back to my gym since it reopened, much less doing recreational things indoors.

Next Level Pinball in Hillsboro, Oregon actually started opening back up like a couple weeks ago. Masks required, plenty of hand sanitizer and wipe stations, with staff wiping down games constantly. They also shut off every other game so that you can't play anything right next to another person, which is understandable but unfortunate if you were heading out there in the hopes of playing a specific game when you paid $15 to get in... still, with 120+ tables it's not too hard to find something else to play

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

another LED vs. incandescent comparison. a friend who's helping me work on the machine asked what the benefit of color-matched LEDs are. in this video, the C-A-T inserts and the long row of arrow shaped inserts next to them are both using blue inserts, while the C-A-T have LED and the others the original incandescents:

https://imgur.com/a/VBYT8ef

boar guy fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Jun 16, 2020

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

Colors under inserts should be used sparingly imo. Just the bright whites are usually sufficient. I only really use them to change the color of a white insert.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

Snacksmaniac posted:

Colors under inserts should be used sparingly imo. Just the bright whites are usually sufficient. I only really use them to change the color of a white insert.

yeah, i get that it's a taste issue. most of the underside lights are still just white, but the colored ones sure do make the red/orange/blue inserts pop

i have a poo poo ton of opaque glue on my playfield, so the colored LEDs actually help shine through that, also. the biggest change has just been using LED for GI. i can actually see the top part of the table now

edit: i don't even think i want to try to fix this. unless we get some heated money games going or something :)

boar guy fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Jun 17, 2020

tonedef131
Sep 3, 2003

When set up properly, Bram Stokers Dracula is the greatest pinball machine of all time.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

tonedef131 posted:

When set up properly, Bram Stokers Dracula is the greatest pinball machine of all time.

i dunno man bats and rats gets pretty repetitive

tonedef131
Sep 3, 2003

They don’t slow the game down though, and can just run in the background while you progress the rest of the game. The rules are simple but difficult to exploit with open outlines and lightning flippers. It absolutely demands you learn how to drop catch and deadbounce and will either make you a better player, or eat you alive.

Theme integration and sound production are top tier even nearly 30 years later and Mist is maybe the best gimmick in all of pinball. Every shot is difficult but has a super satisfying feel, I just can’t believe how mechanically complex and magical it is despite looking simple on the top side of the playfield. It really delivers on the “world under glass” effect, not just because of the massive molds but the way they disguise the inner-workings of the machine make it seem that much more like the balls is being manipulated by gothic devils. The multiple Academy Award winners doing the callouts make completed shots just that much more satisfactory and the way the music automatically raises in volume as you stack multiballs gets you super hyped.

I’ve had it between Medusa and Monster Bash throughout the entire quarantine and its the only one I play.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

tonedef131 posted:

It really delivers on the “world under glass” effect, not just because of the massive molds but the way they disguise the inner-workings of the machine make it seem that much more like the balls is being manipulated by gothic devils.

speaking of that, how is it to maintain? i've only been under the glass doing repairs and stuff for a couple of months here but it's made me look at machines with a more critical eye. i was at a friend's last weekend who has a Drac- it looks like an utter bitch to maintain. like you'd have to basically disassemble the entire playfield to swap rubbers

edit, oh, and a followup- how long are flipper rubbers usually good for? I've got like...500 games on mine and they are already starting to look pretty gnarly at the tips

boar guy fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Jun 18, 2020

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010
VISIT THE STICKIED GOON HOLIDAY CHARITY DRIVE THREAD IN GBS.

Goons are changing the way children get an education in Haiti.

Edit - Oops, no they aren't. They donated to doobie instead.
I have a bigger problem keeping all of the switches, boards, and optos working than worrying about rubber replacement.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

cosmicjim posted:

I have a bigger problem keeping all of the switches, boards, and optos working than worrying about rubber replacement.

on Drac, you mean? i do get the impression that that machine is hellish to maintain, and that Mist in particular would be expensive/a hassle to fix if it broke

tonedef131
Sep 3, 2003

boar guy posted:

speaking of that, how is it to maintain? i've only been under the glass doing repairs and stuff for a couple of months here but it's made me look at machines with a more critical eye. i was at a friend's last weekend who has a Drac- it looks like an utter bitch to maintain. like you'd have to basically disassemble the entire playfield to swap rubbers
Yeah Dracula shop out is no joke, mainly just because of the coffin mech though. There’s a specific order to reassembly so you gotta pay attention when taking it apart or you’ll be reassembling a few times.

Fortunately I haven’t had any trouble with my mist, but have worked on ones before that have trouble with long beam opto alignment. I’ve had plenty of other opto problems, mainly coming down to age related problems and a mysteriously disappearing CPU trace. I certainly wouldn’t recommend it as a first game or for people who are opposed to taking the glass off. It requires a lot of play testing with constant tweaking, which is probably part of the reason I’ve fallen so deeply in love with it. I’m going to be placing it at a friends new brewery soon because I’m an idiot and apparently a masochist, so we will see what kind of issues arise when I’m not always there to hold its hand.

boar guy posted:

how long are flipper rubbers usually good for? I've got like...500 games on mine and they are already starting to look pretty gnarly at the tips
Depends on the type/color of the rubbers, game time, speed of the game and ball condition. Just rotate them counter clockwise a bit on the bat so the shaggy tips are on the bottom of the flipper. You can get away with this 4 or 5 times before having to put whole new rubbers on.

Kouerson
Mar 5, 2008

If you die in Canada, you die in real life.

tonedef131 posted:

Firmly agree, getting that three way multiball stack going is incredibly satisfying. Hitting that left ramp alone feels really good.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

my precious

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Anyone played The Hobbit? I remember being underwhelmed on release, but watched some streams of people playing it and it actually seems pretty cool?

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

algebra testes posted:

Anyone played The Hobbit? I remember being underwhelmed on release, but watched some streams of people playing it and it actually seems pretty cool?

I tried it at my friend's house but I think it was right before he hosted IFPA and all the games were set Bullshit Hard so I maybe got like 15 seconds of play per ball, so I guess I played it but I didn't play it if you know what I mean.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

algebra testes posted:

i love it, it's super deep, but the license is kind of eh

Desdinova
Dec 16, 2004
I had to be on my toes, like a midget at a urinal!

The Voice of Labor posted:

If anyone's playing pbfx3 on steam, add me. steam name should be the same as forum name

Invite sent.

Not played in a while, as on my Xbone pad for some reason the triggers would erm..trigger without pressing them, had to use the bumpers then it started happening on that too. No problems on any other game, don't suppose any one here had a similar issue?

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

I’m conflicted, local pinball place just got a Rick and Morty.

Local pinball arcade is in central Florida and I’d rather not catch Covid.

Guess I’ll wait.

Clouseau
Aug 3, 2003

My theories appall you, my heresies outrage you, I never answer letters, and you don't like my tie.
I hear its impossibly hard anyway. From the handful of people who got to play it the one day it was out before lockdown.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
The pop bumper as a slingshot is cool though.

Gosh I opened PBA and had a wash of nostalgia. Remember the hours I wasted in that. We never did get World Poker Tour in the end. Somehow I scored 200 mil on AC/DC at one point and now I can't get over 20.

Kouerson
Mar 5, 2008

If you die in Canada, you die in real life.

algebra testes posted:

The sheer different amount of things you can do in that game is satisfying, though some modes aren't worth really pursuing very hard. Every time my league rolls around our member's location with one I make sure I'm still mode started + finished champ, stacking the multiballs in that game just makes the thing go insane too.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty

mattfl posted:

I’m conflicted, local pinball place just got a Rick and Morty.

Local pinball arcade is in central Florida and I’d rather not catch Covid.

Guess I’ll wait.

Plz don't die.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

melvinthemopboy3
Sep 29, 2008

tonedef131 posted:

I’ve long held this opinion. It’s always a treat to see one on location. The look, sound and gameplay all line up so perfectly, plus is there any other pinball machine that features Tom Waits’ likeness?