Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zero Karizma
Jul 8, 2004

It's ok now, just tell me what happened...

WhiteHowler posted:

Agreed, but I would play the gently caress out of a Futurama pinball table.

Oh hell yes, so would I.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

Zen also seems to be a big fan of having modes you can fail. Being told you've failed over and over again doesn't make a game fun. What can you "fail" in Medieval Madness?

Louis Buchalter
Nov 11, 2010

They call me Lepke

Parallax Scroll posted:

Zen also seems to be a big fan of having modes you can fail. Being told you've failed over and over again doesn't make a game fun. What can you "fail" in Medieval Madness?

This is especially lovely considering most of those modes require use of the upper flippers into awkwardly placed ramps. I wish they could just license tables from Stern.

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

Zero Karizma posted:

Oh hell yes, so would I.

Kind of surprised Stern hasn't put one out yet. After Simpsons & Family Guy you'd think it'd be the next step if they continued with Fox-themed tables.

Fists Up
Apr 9, 2007

How the gently caress do I joust in Exaclibur?

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien
Push the ball-launch (A) button when your javelin icon is about 1 square away from the shield icon.

Tsietisin
Jul 2, 2004

Time passes quickly on the weekend.

Loonytoad Quack posted:

I can hit it 95% of the time now (makes Wisdom almost as easy as Brains when you get the trick). You want to fire the ball so it goes fully round the outside twice and runs out of steam on the third time round when it is on the right of, and roughly level but very slightly above, the skillshot hole. Then a quick left nudge and it should jump in the hole.

If you want to get the skill shot without nudging, then the gauge should be 1 3/4 squares full of the green highlight. Release it there and the ball will do a perfect 1 1/2 rotations of the skillshot board.

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

Louis Buchalter posted:

This is especially lovely considering most of those modes require use of the upper flippers into awkwardly placed ramps. I wish they could just license tables from Stern.

I don't. Zen would gently caress it up with their lovely physics.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!
I played some Earth Defense earlier. 65 million (already my lifetime best) on the first ball, climbing to 94 million after the second ball.

So I launch the next ball. It comes down and I kick it back up into the upper left area with the mini-orbit and the ball lock hole. I hit it with the upper flipper and... the ball completely disappears.

I tried nudging the table in all different directions, but nothing worked. There was no ball on the table, and the game was just sitting there, not doing anything about it. I tried tilting it, but still nothing happened.

Unable to end my awesome game, I left the it on and got up to do some housework. About twenty minutes later, the ball finally reappeared from the mini-orbit. I was no longer anywhere near the console, so the ball unceremoniously drained.

That's about the closest I've ever come to raging and smashing a controller. Oh well, at least I got a pretty damned good two-ball high score.

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

Oh well. It's still a good score.

DarthXaos
Oct 27, 2010

Ned posted:

I'm very jealous of the goon who owns a Medieval Madness table. Tina Fey did the voices and it is a great machine.

Wow, I never knew this...

http://kotaku.com/5101133/tina-feys-secret-video-game-voice-work

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Obeast posted:

I'm really getting pissed off at Firepower on the Williams Collection. I'm trying to do the Wizard Goal of getting the 50,000 point FIREPOWER bonus, but it's not happening. I know what to do, but the ball seems to have a mind of it's own and wants to either not hit the POWER targets on the right side of the field or it will find some way of falling directly down the middle of the field or go off the sides. It doesn't help that you have to do the bonus four or five times ON ONE loving BALL to get it. :argh:

For some reason I always have trouble with that table too. That wide open playfield with distant targets and huge traps for the ball just kills me. Probably my least favorite table in the collection other than Jive Time which is only on there for the historical curiosity.

While I'm posting has anyone tried Dream Pinball 3D? The tables don't look horrible although they might be a bit busy. Anyone have any experience with how it plays? It looks like you can download it for $3.50 so it's not a huge investment to try it out but I thought I'd ask.

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut

Parallax Scroll posted:

The only thing I think you can fail is the "Hurry Up" castle shot that occurs after some victories (joust, catapult, damsel, peasants) but even then it's not really a mode, just a timed shot with a decreasing value and making the shot doesn't advance game play in any way.

Tasteful Bulge
Sep 5, 2003

It's down to you and me, you one-eyed freak.

Random Stranger posted:

While I'm posting has anyone tried Dream Pinball 3D? The tables don't look horrible although they might be a bit busy. Anyone have any experience with how it plays? It looks like you can download it for $3.50 so it's not a huge investment to try it out but I thought I'd ask.

I've got it, but I'm going to have to try it on another machine. It's crashed on every table I've tried to play. But then again, this laptop is on its last legs.

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien
I need some help. Just got the Williams collection and I'm totally stumped by the "advance to the sun, hit the special" wizard challenge on Pin-Bot. Does anyone have some trick fro consistently hitting either the 3 left-side drop targets, or the right-side comet special hole? I've tried changing view points, shaking the poo poo out of the table, nothing seems to help.

Oh, and the secret to the Firepower 50k bonus challenge is multiball, it takes A LOT of stress out of the attempt and makes it easier to hit the side targets by dumb luck.

emgeejay
Dec 8, 2007

Howard Beale posted:

The only thing I think you can fail is the "Hurry Up" castle shot that occurs after some victories (joust, catapult, damsel, peasants) but even then it's not really a mode, just a timed shot with a decreasing value and making the shot doesn't advance game play in any way.

You can also fail the final mode (called "Storm the Castle" I think?) Failing it means starting the table goals all over again, which happened to me THREE TIMES while I went for my last Achievement.

(edit: and probably the final battle with the genie in Arabian Nights, but that poo poo's easy)

Pinball Hall of Fame with FX2-style leaderboard and friends integration would pretty much be the greatest game ever made, for me.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

I rocked the poo poo out of biolab. But still haven't done the insane bit after all the upgrades with the ramps and orbits. Came really close and lost all three balls trying to do it. :argh:

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!

Sizone posted:

I need some help. Just got the Williams collection and I'm totally stumped by the "advance to the sun, hit the special" wizard challenge on Pin-Bot. Does anyone have some trick fro consistently hitting either the 3 left-side drop targets, or the right-side comet special hole? I've tried changing view points, shaking the poo poo out of the table, nothing seems to help.

That's the last one I need on Pinbot, too. Unfortunately the answer, as far as I know, is to place rubber bands across those Hungry Hungry Outlanes™, which sadly isn't a setting available in the virtual version.

quote:

Oh, and the secret to the Firepower 50k bonus challenge is multiball, it takes A LOT of stress out of the attempt and makes it easier to hit the side targets by dumb luck.

I would agree with this. I actually like Firepower quite a bit, the kickback is easy to activate and something about the six spot targets just feels good to me. Must be the SFX.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

How in the hell are you guys getting scores like 500+ million on some tables? I'm pumped if I crack 10.

Rupert Buttermilk fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Nov 15, 2010

SnatchRabbit
Feb 23, 2006

by sebmojo
Cross posting from XBLA thread-

quote:

How does pinball FX2 compare to Pinball HOF Williams on 360, specifically related to ball physics? I remember playing the original FX and being completely turned off by how unrealistic it felt.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

How in the hell are you guys getting scores like 500+ million on some tables? I'm pumped if I crack 10.

Practice, and learn the tables. Just batting the ball around will get you nowhere on most tables. The real points come from activating and completing the various game modes on each table. Slapping the ball around and hitting random targets will only net you a small fraction of the points you can earn from beating an activated mode or minigame. If you're not sure how to do this, go to the Options menu, then Help, and then there's a listing for Game Rules. It'll list the various modes that can be started on each table.

I'm certainly no pinball master, but I went from struggling to get a million points on the first day I had the game, to just breaking 60 million a little earlier today. Concentrate on one table at a time, learn the modes, practice until you can hit certain targets and ramps on demand, and eventually set up a strategy for each table to complete modes and maximize points. If you have it, the Rocky and Bullwinkle is a fairly easy table to learn. There aren't a ton of modes, and what modes there are have simple objectives; typically hitting a ramp twice in a row in a limited time span. It's also a very high-scoring table as well, so once you get the basics down you can really start raking in the millions.

Desdinova
Dec 16, 2004
I had to be on my toes, like a midget at a urinal!
Anyone got any tips on hitting the oasis in Pasha? It's the only thing keeping me from destroying the table :(

Snackmar
Feb 23, 2005

I'M PROGRAMMED TO LOVE THIS CHOCOLATY CAKE... MY CIRCUITS LIGHT UP FOR THAT FUDGY ICING.
Holy crap, we're getting *four* Marvel tables: http://kotaku.com/5690249/marvel-pinball-from-comics-page-to-silver-ball

Chunderbucket
Aug 31, 2006

I had a beer with Stephen Miller once and now I like him.

Added some of you before xbox.ca exploded and poo poo itself on me, so if I could get thrown on the list that'd be great too.

GT: Contard Idiot

edit: to follow on iastudent's post, make sure to check out the Elite Pinball HD demo in indie games just to experience how incredibly bad it is. How could you tell people not to suffer through that?

Chunderbucket fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Nov 15, 2010

Billy Gnosis
May 18, 2006

Now is the time for us to gather together and celebrate those things that we like and think are fun.

snackmar posted:

Holy crap, we're getting *four* Marvel tables: http://kotaku.com/5690249/marvel-pinball-from-comics-page-to-silver-ball

The Blade table is the closest he's going to get to a video game now isn't it.

Tasteful Bulge
Sep 5, 2003

It's down to you and me, you one-eyed freak.

snackmar posted:

While I'm glad about having four new tables, I figure it'll follow the usual pattern. Two tables will be fun, one will be okay, and one will be unplayable. Looking at the table layouts and ramp placement, my prediction is X-Men and Blade will be the fun ones, Iron Man will be okay, and Spider-Man will be the unplayable one.

Zero Karizma
Jul 8, 2004

It's ok now, just tell me what happened...
This is great news. FX2 really is the new and improved Game Room.

Tsietisin
Jul 2, 2004

Time passes quickly on the weekend.

I want all of those tables, I will be getting them the day they come out.

I only hope they don't charge premium for them though.

Obeast
Aug 26, 2006
Õ_~ ANIME BABE LOVER 2000 ~_Õ

SnatchRabbit posted:

Cross posting from XBLA thread-

quote:

How does pinball FX2 compare to Pinball HOF Williams on 360, specifically related to ball physics? I remember playing the original FX and being completely turned off by how unrealistic it felt.
I have Williams Collection on the Wii (which I'm sure is more or less the same gameplay wise except for the controls), and the ball in PFX2 feels a bit faster than the one in Williams. I never played the original PFX, so I can't say if it's better or worse in this.

Sizone posted:

I've tried getting it in multiball, but I still couldn't do it since I was still trying to aim for the POWER section. I might try it again later tonight, but I'll try to use dumb luck since that seems to be a better tactic for some of the table goals.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Hah! I got a two day Live suspension because my gamer motto was "I shaved her biscuit!". Man, why did I add a female to my friends list, and why they gotta be so uptight.

Louis Buchalter
Nov 11, 2010

They call me Lepke
Is the whole point of the rome table to be as unplayable as possible?

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Hah! I got a two day Live suspension because my gamer motto was "I shaved her biscuit!". Man, why did I add a female to my friends list, and why they gotta be so uptight.

Where's the "report" button? Is that only on platinum accounts now? Because this post is -totally- in the wrong thread. :downs:

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Sizone posted:

Where's the "report" button? Is that only on platinum accounts now? Because this post is -totally- in the wrong thread. :downs:

It's in the right thread because the ban came from a person I added specifically for pinball.

Also, shut up.

kirbyabc
Mar 2, 2004
:-)
Dammit! I had 30 million on ball 2 of Excalibur, and I had earnt an extra ball in the siege...I thought for sure I was gonna beat the goon on 49M, but I completely hosed up the last 2 balls cause I was too excited :(. Still, 2nd place :D

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

kirbyabc posted:

Dammit! I had 30 million on ball 2 of Excalibur, and I had earnt an extra ball in the siege...I thought for sure I was gonna beat the goon on 49M, but I completely hosed up the last 2 balls cause I was too excited :(. Still, 2nd place :D

That's one of my biggest general trip-ups as well. Get some decent score going, and then my next two balls essentially just drain right down the middle because I'm getting cocky and not paying attention.

I don't like the left flipper lane as well on Excalibur. Balls whip down there fast enough as it is, and with the ballista blocking your view of the lane, I can never anticipate the ball going down there and I either hit it way to early, or it goes right by the flipper and drains down the middle.

Fists Up
Apr 9, 2007

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

That's one of my biggest general trip-ups as well. Get some decent score going, and then my next two balls essentially just drain right down the middle because I'm getting cocky and not paying attention.

I don't like the left flipper lane as well on Excalibur. Balls whip down there fast enough as it is, and with the ballista blocking your view of the lane, I can never anticipate the ball going down there and I either hit it way to early, or it goes right by the flipper and drains down the middle.

I loving always misjudge that left lane. It drains so quickly down there. Its like the ball is twice as heavy on the left side.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
The horizontal right ramp on Excalibur gives me fits too. Not only is it a bitch to hit, if you don't get it quite right the ball rockets back down to you. I swear something is wonky with the physics on that ramp, as the ball coming back down seems to go way, way faster than gravity would dictate.

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien
Multiball is pretty useless on that table, so if it's any consolation hitting the second flipper ramp is basically optional.

My current gripe is No Good Gophers and Arabian Knights. Is there a reason, beyond idiot marketing that insists the name "Williams" must be prominently displayed, why 1/5-1/4 of the screen real estate needs to be taken up by useless representations of virtual speakers? It's not like those tables are small or sparse on details or anything.

Also, why does it look like the majority of thought and effort went into a table based on Blade? BLADE! No one gave a gently caress about the comic or the character when there was a Blade movie out. I'm also pissed that Marvel is handling its licensing (with the possible exception of Arkham Asylum) so much better than DC. Blade gets an awesome looking pinball table and Hellblazer, Jonah Hex and Watchmen get turned into some of the worst movies ever made.

Loonytoad Quack
Aug 24, 2004

High on Shatner's Bassoon
Has anyone else noticed the scoring seems broken on Buccaneer? Not only is it bloody impossible to get any kind of a decent score on that stupid thing, but some of the scoring definitely doesn't seem right. For example, when you hit the bumpers, it will say "Hit 30 for 100,000", yet it only actually awards 10,000 if you do it. Is it broken or am I missing something obvious?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Desdinova
Dec 16, 2004
I had to be on my toes, like a midget at a urinal!
Yeah I noticed that - it would also explain why my FX1 scores are way higher all round than the FX2 ones on the same tables. Speed Machine FX1 high score - 300mil, FX2 - 50mil (ish).