Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

had to do it:

(mission control in santa ana ca)

also what a fun table. the pharaoh shot is fun every time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

anyone in the irvine/anaheim/santa ana area interested in this? http://dtsapinball.us/ there's a rad ramen place downstairs, too :)

missed the kickoff night this week because of plans i couldn't break but i'm definitely playing from here on out. i want a flipper shaped trophy very badly now

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

Broke out Pinball Arcade for my Kindle Fire last night for the first time in like...5 years? am i still supposed to be able to play monster jam, star trek, theater of magic, and medieval madness? because i dont even see them as options to purchase in the Steam version of the game.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

Flinger posted:

Theatre of Magic is only one of the 3 I have played before, not a big fan, maybe it's a bit too busy. Champion Pub seems really fun, Safe Cracker is really weird but also fun.

don't give up on Theatre of Magic. it has a nice progression and some really fun high speed orbit shots when you get going. also, smashing that captive ball for the tiger saw is just so loving satisfying :)

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

played in my first round of my first tournament ever last night. missed the first two of 6 nights but a 2nd on Meteor, a 3rd on Stardust and Creature from the Black Lagoon, and 4ths on Iron Maiden, Fish Tales and Addams Family put me tied for 34th out of 36th overall! I'm on my way! :)

kinda surprised how much everyone likes the old machines, they are just kinda...dull

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

they should retrofit The Getaway machines with the table shaker from Iron Maiden

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

I'm not really sure if it's okay to post stuff like this here or not- sorry if it isn't- but if you live in the SoCal/OC area and want to play in a low cost tournament on Sunday evening that qualifies you for an IFPA profile, hit me up for deets!

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

Okay, night 2 of the league. Finished 2nd on Munsters, Deadpool, Meteor, Creature from the Black Lagoon and Whirlwind. Finished 4th on Stardust. Good enough for 11th out of 27 on the night and to move up to 32nd out of 37 overall. Missing those first two weeks is gonna hurt!

boar guy fucked around with this message at 06:44 on Apr 4, 2019

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

http://pinball.org/rules/getaway.html

:tipshat:

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

i honestly did not know about Secret Mania until i read that rule sheet

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

lousy night at league last night. however, the local wizard bought me a beer, so not all was lost :tipshat:

1st on Tron
4th on Meteor
3rd on FishTales
4th on LOTR
3rd on Creature
3rd on Medieval Madness

23rd on the night, 30th overall. why do i always play so well on machines i've literally never touched before?

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

Played in my first tournament ever tonight. There were 15 of us, in a strikeout (6 strikes) format. I got put in a group with the guy that owns the machines, to start :suicide: Started off with 4 strikes, finishing last on Stardust and Lord of the Rings. However, I got on a hot streak and finished first on Addams Family and Monster Bash. A 2nd on Medieval Madness had me down to my last strike, but I came back strong to finish 1st on Munsters. My third place on Iron Maiden was enough to wash me out, but I think 5th out of 15, and 4 of the tables being ones I've played less than 5 times, I did pretty okay! Plus I'll get an IFPA profile since it was officially sanctioned :tipshat:

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

No. 1 Callie Fan posted:

Congratulations to all participants. Next we'll open up Pack 3 with Theatre of Magic. Do you have the magic?

we got a room for that bad boy yet? (im sonofadiddly, btw)

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

Lone Goat posted:

i'm just assuming OP got perma'd for this post specifically

he wishes

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

im on my way bitches :D

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

TheMcD posted:

Man, I am going to suck at Champion Pub. I never worked out a good scoring strat for that table.

balcony

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

love those trip report style posts :) sounds a little like one of my favorites, Creature from the Black Lagoon, with the risky-rear end Snackbar

playing in a consolation strikeout tonight in my league, then a Black Knight launch party next Sunday. if i start driving more than 50 miles to play in pinball tournaments it may be an issue with my wife :D

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

bah, 10th out of 19 in the consolation strikeout. 1st on Monster Bash, 2nd on Creature from the Black Lagoon, 4th on Stardust, 2nd on Stardust and 2nd on FishTales. I really like the strikeout format, though. And I really dislike the old 'the spinner is all the points and there's no ball saver' games, even though the league goes nuts for poo poo like Stardust, Meteor and Future Spa

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

TheMcD posted:

I'm pretty sure the jump rope in PFX is hosed in some way. It seems inevitable that you're going to fall off in the first four jumps or so.

nah, i got 30 jumps in a row several times. the key is to flip when the rope is even with the hole on the right side of the mechanism

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

how much weed do you guys think is a fair trade for a pinball machine? :D

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

Moogs posted:

How good is the weed and what machine are we talking about?

Unrelated: anybody have experience keeping pinball machines in a garage, at least during the warm months? Anybody have experience renting machines from somebody? I would like to do both of those things. I live in Denver, so the warm months should be pretty dry...

it's good. it's very, very good. i grew it :)

i've been farting around on FB Marketplace looking for stuff lately and as i am cash poor but weed rich im just throwing it out there to randos. ill message someone, ask if they want a trade, if they say yes ill tell them i grow medicine and if they're not interested then i understand and thank them for their time :) (edit to be clear i am in a legal state and not comitting any felonies on FB :D)

saw a super hosed up Captain Fantastic- like, real, real hosed up, total rebuild type stuff- and they still want $300 for it. working vintage stuff without soundtracks but solid state scoring is like 650-700 bucks. the best deal ive seen is like 1k for a Future Spa, which is about as far back as I'd want to go for a machine to own. Also saw a '78 Playboy, crated, new in box for like $2100. reaaaaaaaaaaaaaally wish i had the cash for that one

boar guy fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Apr 26, 2019

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

named my new cat Pinball :D

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

feels like Champion Pub should be a pretty popular table but they barely sold a thousand of them. too mechanically complex?

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

strange feelings re Daisy posted:

You now owe a cat tax which can be paid off by posting a picture of your cat.

Pinball is (obviously) the silver one with dried food on her nose. The other is her brother Loki.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

safecracker is just such a fucky table :)

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

playing in a split flipper tourney next week for league Off Night. should be hilarious and terrible and drunken and fun

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

god drat a 1975 Flip Flop in working order, that hasn't been played in 20 years and comes with a full set of rubbers was on FB yesterday for $200...there's a slim chance i still might get it but some other dude beat me to it by 5 minutes. fingers crossed! really want a project machine for the garage.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

strange feelings re Daisy posted:

That's loving crazy. I've seen empty cabinets sell for that much. Good luck!

bah, it was not to be. it was in such good shape, too:

i hit her up 37 minutes after she posted it and i was like, the 8th person. at that price and in that condition i can see why it's gone. you could probably do nothing to it and turn it around for like a thousand bucks

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

was looking at this as a consolation prize (guy agreed to $150, down from $200, the difference being the price of the flipper rebuild kit) but i consulted a dude in my league that restores them and said if the flippers dont work, you dont want to have to restore them. called the guy. flippers don't work. i live to search another day :tipshat:

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

roffels posted:

Is it an EM? I guess it depends what it is. If it needs a flipper rebuild, no biggy. If it's electrical, ehhhh. I'd walk away too.

https://www.ipdb.org/machine.cgi?id=649

it's EM. wife thought Flip Flop was cool, doesn't think this one is cool enough. i'm currently after a captain fantastic for $300 that is under about an inch of dirt :)

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

Deviant posted:

Wait, assault is allowed?!

My 2mil is standard play.

yeah I didnt assault the vault or see how to start it in tourney mode

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

CarpenterWalrus posted:

Is it too late to jump in with Attack From Mars, or would it just gently caress up the roster?

APP ( always play pinball) imho

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

went 8 and 6 in my tourney yesterday (Flipper Frenzy format) for 11th out of 30. if my last table hadn't been Dialed In I probably would have gone through to the finals. got to play Black Knight and freaked out the operator when my first 4 left orbit shots all jumped the track and smashed in to the topglass; they changed the rubber on the flippers to a spongier rubber before the tournament started and it ameliorated it a bit but that table is still too fast off the right flipper. i like the table a lot, though, the way the Knight talks poo poo to you the whole time is fantastic. also got to play a few Jersey Jacks for the first time, Dialed in and Wizard of Oz. there's too much poo poo on those tables and i don't ever think i'm gonna be okay with paying a dollar for a game of pinball. they are beautiful, though, Wizard of Oz in particular is like a museum quality piece of art. and i didnt think i'd like the new Beatles table when i stepped up- partially because it was a dollar to play- but man, if i'm gonna spend 8k on a pinball machine, that just might be the one. it plays loving great, even without toys and ramps and habitrails.

real cool setup (this is an auction showroom but every game is in tip top shape). they even had a Total Annihilation! pictured here is the lady that took second in the tournament scoring 400 loving million on her 2nd TNG ball to beat me by like 100k:

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

Deviant posted:

dialed in is just addams family with a playfield mirror-flip and anyone who likes AF but not DI is lying to themselves.

what is the equivalent of the moving target 4 inches away from the flippers on addams

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

Deviant posted:

it's the swamp kickout dumping my ball straight down the center for the eighteenth goddamn time

also it only moves when you hit it, have you tried not hitting the power company guy like he owes you money?

i do not have a real, objective opinion on Dialed In as i only played it once. however, my first impression of jersey jack tables in general is: this is too expensive, there is too much poo poo here, i still hate video backglasses and this feels like a slot machine

also ITS NOT PLUGGED IN YET! (triggered, much? :smug:)

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

i didn't know about the IFPA/$tern discount program. i'm super motivated to play in every tournament i can, now :D

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

CarpenterWalrus posted:

Is it just me or did Zen really gently caress up the physics on these old Williams tables? Holy poo poo, is this pinball lounge on the fuckin moon?

gotta play Classic

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

aaaaaahahahaha this split flipper format is so much fun

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

do you guys think a pinball machine with the legs off and back glass down would fit in a hyundai santa fe with the seats folded down?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

Snacksmaniac posted:

What game? Some backboxes are a hair taller and don’t even fit in the Tahoe.

it's a Space Time