Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!
A friend and I used to play the Terminator 2 table a boatload back in the day. It got to the point where we would act like total douches and play a flipper each against other players and totally demolish them.
Anyway, we always wondered if the machine was set up to do anything special when the internal clock got to Judgement Day (August 29, 1997 by memory.)
Anyone know?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!
I downloaded PFX2 on Steam to have a look, as I love pinball. The demo was okay, but a full table would be nice to play just so I can get a proper feel for the gameplay.
Apart from the Star Wars and Marvel franchise not appealing to me overly much, the real killer is that it seems I can't remap the nudge keys to be Z and /.

Would it be fair to assume they plan to allow this in the future? I could trawl their forums to find out but hopefully you pin-nuts are across this already.

Unrelated - I have fond memories of the sound effects you got in the early to mid-80s tables like Firepower 1 and 2. Those weird synth noises it makes are iconic to me, even if the table itself is not that special.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

goferchan posted:

Electromagnetic -- your old, old tables like Big Shot and stuff.

Electromechanical, surely?

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

Clouseau posted:

[Rollergames] Always gets forgotten because of the bullshit theme, but it's a fun Ritchie table. Good audio too.

I was going to mention that I seem to recall this having great audio. The speech was cool, and even the singing. And yeah, they way the game just juggles your locked balls around for no purpose was great.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

Captain Cool posted:

Really? I bought [Paranormal] on mobile and hated it. I couldn't figure out what to do on most of the cube faces, the backglass action is too fast to play, hitting the floating ball never seemed to register right, and the main playfield flow is constantly interrupted by sinkholes with random reaction-testing ball spawns.

Yeah, I'm not overly pleased with it either. The view seems too close in at the bottom and as you say the random eject holes are frustrating.
I really dig the music though, and it's what brings me back to the game.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

Just in the last week or so I've noticed that when entering my initials for a highscore in PinballFX2 (PC, keyboard) it seems to repeat my selection so I end up with a double character for the first two letters.

I don't get highscores that often, so I've no idea when this might have started, but it didn't do it 3 weeks ago. Anyone else had this?

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

Eegah posted:

Quick, name this table:

I bet that sweater thing she's wearing wasn't in the original artwork design.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

FLX posted:

Anybody of you have experiences with those tables or similar ones? The good thing is that they go for barely $30 so it's cheap to check them out, if one can find them.

I can offer no real information, as I only just recall owning something like those when I was a kid back in the late 70s. It was electronic, in so much as it took C or D cells and the mushroom bumpers were big fat springs that completed a circuit with the ball and a metal plate around the bottom when they touched them. It had a physical bell inside that rung every time you scored, and I imagine it was made to drive adults insane with the awful sound.
Can't find anything that looked like it on Google, but it was white, pretty small, and dull as poo poo.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I have an nvidia card on an i7 and experience no lag whatsoever.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I do, but maybe it's different on the PC with a keyboard? Then again, for all I know every "save" would have been fine anyway.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I finally managed to shut-down the pyramid defence system on the PFX2 Mars table. I may never need to play pinball ever again.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

Nurge posted:

Congratulations. That's one of the hardest things in any tables on any platform. Hitting those side targets is just drat near impossible.

Yeah, it was a war of attrition. In the one game I started that mode something like 4 or 5 times before I got it done and for the last one that got it I managed to keep the multiball alive for an amazing length of time. Then I was down to 2 balls and had to get them both locked in the pyramid shot, which I find quite hard to do. I was shaking at that point, just desperate to not drain out before I completed it.
I was happy when the achievement popped up, and even more when I finally finished the game and had the highscore recorded. I've blitzed another table's top score on my first ball once and had the game crash on me.

She Bangs the Drums posted:

finally. Maybe some of us can get some top scores on the tables now!!

I added someone just recently who has beaten me on a few tables, which is what made me hit up Mars again. He's taken out my Paranormal score, so it's back onto that one for now. Which is great, because I really dig the music on that table so it'll be good to play it a bunch more. Maybe I'll get to the point where I can actually complete any of those drat Cube missions beyond the first one.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

roffels posted:

I don't understand this train of thought, really. My friend dislikes Attack from Mars because of the inflated scores, and I look at it and just figure it's part of the theme. Billions of points seems ridiculous, but it fits the game fine! And it all scales one way or another anyways.

I want to play a modern table with all the unused zeros on the end of scores taken off. Give me a spinner that ticks up in ones. Jackpot values that reach insane values like 500!
But yeah, I agree with you. Some crazy games benefit from over-the-top scoring as a part of their theme.

e: Just watched some WOZ gameplay and they are pretty much scoring like I wanted.

Gromit fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Oct 21, 2013

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

Just finished a great game of Fantastic Four on PFX2 but a bug really hobbled me in the scoring department towards the end. I was going for my third Galactus run and lost the ball when the Torch was coming back out of the wormhole. From here on the DMD showed nothing but the "Torch is leaving the wormhole" text (or whatever it says like that) and the kickback rollovers stayed randomly lit (but worked okay, you just couldn't tell what needed lighting.) My final mode to restart Galactus was the one where you have to power up your balls in the building and shoot them at Doom. Unfortunately the game would never register a hit on the Doom ramp (and would also not register super jackpots outside that mode.)
Pretty pleased with the 1.7B score, but it was a slow slog and very annoying to not be able to complete the high scoring modes more than twice.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

Nurge posted:

:eyepop:

drat those are some crazy scores guys. My billion on Mars today is starting to look a little less special. Still very happy I finally got through pyramid though. Nice work people.

poo poo, a billion on Mars is some serious work. I thought I was done with that table for a while, too.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

iRend posted:

No portrait mode support on PA? Deal breaker for me :(

I'm not buying any tables until they get better Steam friends integration and the ability to buy tables as gifts for people.

Gromit fucked around with this message at 07:59 on Nov 5, 2013

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

Beatnik-Filmstar posted:

...but drat if hearing the sound effects to Firepower didn't give me really crazy flashbacks.

Firepower sound effects take me right back to my teen years. I'll probably buy the real table at some point.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

Anonymous Robot posted:

I'm so bad at tilting, and recognizing when to tilt and when to just hammer the flippers. If a ball is coming right down the middle of the playfield (as the genie in TOTAN will sometimes do to you), nudging once doesn't give enough of a directional change, and nudging twice tilts. Are you just boned?

Do you have a flipper up as well? When SDTM drains you often need to both nudge and get a well-timed flipper press in combination. On a real table, a friend of mine preferred to hit the flipper button with the side of his fist in order to both activate the flipper and nudge the table at the same time.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

Nurge posted:

PFX2 is just ridiculously easy and boring after you figure out the shots.

To be fair, the same could be said for many real pintables. There are plenty of them that can be broken down into "just shoot that ramp forever". (Just don't ask me to cite my sources here, as I'll just say "they said exactly that on PAPA.tv")

King Vidiot posted:

Maybe it's just me, but despite the ball feeling weightless and the constant kickbacks and ball saves, Pinball FX 2's tables feel a lot "harder". Like, the balls drain faster, ramps and targets are harder to hit... and all that is coupled with the fact that they don't give you the insane bonuses and ludicrously high scores of 90's-era pinball games. I can pretty regularly get 200+ million or so in Monster Bash (which is still fairly average), but I can barely break a couple of million on any given FX 2 table. Granted, I didn't play for that long, but even on my worst runs in PA I get 10+ million on the DMD tables.

You REALLY need to play each of the tables quite a few times, then read up on a guide to see what modes you've missed. Then go back to it and see how you go. A lot of the earlier tables I found ball-breakingly hard and thought I'd never score even a couple million on them. Eventually you get the hang of them, though, and work out what shots work best for you.

Each table seems to have 1 or 2 hard shots, and for something that is so simple on every other table known to man, lighting bonus multipliers on The Secrets of the Deep is an utter arsefuck. I've managed 2x once and that's it.

Gromit fucked around with this message at 06:24 on Nov 22, 2013

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

pvax posted:

I just hate when FX tables bury their multiball modes behind ridiculous or unclear shots. Yeah, It'sa persoanl opinion, but a good table should always have a nice clear path towards achieving multiball.

Mainly bitter about Rome as I wanted it to be a cool table. Layout isn't half bad, but the rules are just kind of dumb.

Some things I miss from real tables but I shouldn't care about are timers stopping when the ball is in the pop bumpers, and the tiny grace period you'd get on shots where you'd still score it if you missed it by a fraction of a second.
Having mentioned the timers stopping, drat it PFX - stop letting timers count down when you are showing me a pointless animation.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

With Civil War they bent it so far is disappeared up it's own festering arsehole.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

Clouseau posted:

All that said PFX2 looks great vertically, and I really wish their competitive scoring was in TPA. Easily my favorite thing they have.

I had high hopes for portrait mode but I found the views didn't let me see as much of the table as landscape did. I mean, I saw more vertically, obviously, but it cut the sides off too much for me. Worse still, it would cut off my view of the plunger.
Maybe I haven't found the right camera mode for it yet, but I was disappointed when I tried it. Looked huge, though, I'll give it that.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

Artificer posted:

And for Sorcerer's Lair, there's a minigame where you have to roll a ball across some gears. I have no idea how it works and the little thing gets crushed instantly every time. :(

Start by hitting left repeatedly (or whichever direction is first up - it's been a while since I played) before that gears minigame even starts animating. Then alternate as the ball progresses. Be aware that gravity is odd here, as the ball may fall onto the next gear where the green arrows indicate, rather than how gravity would work.

It helps if you realise there's no rush on changing direction of the gear if the ball is not heading straight for another cog. So when you get to the far right side of the screen don't rush changing gear direction to jump to the last cog, as that often crushes the ball. Let the ball ride the second-last gear briefly to get some distance then reverse it onto the final cog. Change to drop it onto the conveyor thingy and then you just play the seesaw puzzle to drop the ball to the correct spot.

You are alternating left and right each move, but that doesn't mean the ball moves left or right - you are just changing direction each time to keep it moving.

I've managed to drop the ball to the bottom of that gear section in only 2 or 3 moves, as inertia can really throw the ball and you can bounce off some gears, but there's no reason to try as it's not a timed game or anything.

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Honestly I almost never trigger the multiballs on paranormal. I just go for the other scoring opportunities.

I'm the same. I've completed the first multiball mode (levitation?) but that's about it. The haunted house is worth 20m-30m each completion which adds up, especially as every time you drop out of it you can re-open the door with a well-timed flip immediately.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

iRend posted:

Remember to also add Gromit and Space Tractor! (I know there's someone else but my brain's not working properly after trying to beat my TNG score for a couple of hours)

I'm away from my home PC to check, but it could be that motherfucker that hammered my Paranormal score into the ground. :) A few months back I spent about 25 hours trying to take back my Sorcerer's Lair highscore, but I think I'm conceding defeat to you there.

http://steamcommunity.com/id/gromit2096

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

Blattdorf posted:

Since some of the FX2 tables that weren't present in the HB sale are now discounted during the Autumn Sale - which ones should I pick up?

Fantastic Four is not bad, as well.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

midnightclimax posted:

Does FX have a set of tables that are more "traditional" like those of Pinball Arcade? Most of the FX ones I played feel pretty ADD/sensory overload-ish.

Whilst all of their tables feature stuff that's a bit out there, Captain America is probably the one closest to a real-life table. Excalibur is pretty normal too, although for some reason the timed kickbacks really annoy me.
The Zen and Core pack tables are not too crazy, either. This is a relevant measure, mind you.

I found the Marvel games to be the worst offenders when it came to things zooming around and getting in the way of your view of the table for brief periods.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

Ugly In The Morning posted:

The Ms. Spolsion Man one is 75 cents right now. And the polar opposite of what you want. That poo poo was ridiculous.

Yeah, that table is mental, but I really enjoy playing it. Thankfully the toys don't get in the way of your playing except for one really brief moment when you finish the last mode.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

Random Stranger posted:

Is it me or is Pinball FX2's Ms. Splosionman really easy? My third attempt resulted in my highest score ever on Pinball FX table thanks to two extra balls and almost non-stop multiballs. I don't even think I did particularly well since I had trouble completing some of the modes.

It's not you. I think it's the easiest table in the set. It's also loads of fun.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

802.11weed posted:

If that table didn't have those terrible racist drawings, it would be way nice. I'd probably want a real one. Apparently it had a tape machine in it for music and stuff which is super neat.

Oh well.

Better than that. It's an 8-track!

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

Call Me Charlie posted:

Farsight should take a lesson from Zen Studio. I went from only having the trial to owning every table besides Civil War and Doctor Strange over the course of a month. And the only reason I don't own those two is because I ran out of money.

Your bank balance is helping you out, here.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

Could be a frame rate issue if their physics engine times things off of it.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

...whoever decided to block the view with all the toys needs a cockpunch.

Oh god yes. You even have the stretchy dude on the Fantastic Four table obnoxiously reaching out at the ball as it flies around and he blocks shots doing that for no reason. There's so much table space to have them do their poo poo in, why do it where the loving ball and flippers are?

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

V12 is poo poo. Just an utter, utter poo poo table. I don't like Tesla much, either, but it's less that it's a bad table and more that it's just really low scoring and the method to trigger modes is a pain in the rear end.

V12 is okay once you learn what needs doing, and getting the kickbacks is an important thing to do right off the bat. However, I've never even come close to completing any of the upgrades that you need to do in that camshaft/piston mini-table area.

And speaking of not completing anything, I'm not sure I've managed to ever complete a single mode on Tesla. Maybe 1? Then again, I could almost say the same for Paranormal. That's a cool table, but the modes you start with the cube just annoy me for the most part and cause drains.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I'm a sucker for magna saves, though. Learning the best way to use them has really improved my Fear Itself scores, but it sucks when you have a multiball going and all three balls go for the same inlane.

I love how aggressive some of the magnasaves are. You can pull a ball out from the bottom after an outlane drain and have it push your flipper up out the way to get back onto the playfield.

You reminded me that I hate how on some of the Zen tables with gimmick kickbacks that they disable them during multiball. For example, I find the easy 2-ball multiball on Boba Fett is basically "drain the ball mode" whenever I get it by accident. The 2-ball removes your kickbacks and as the kicks are timed you don't even have them when you lose the first ball.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

Some of the Zen tables have timers that count down while the DMD is animating or other stuff out of player control. I seem to recall that the real tables I've played have the decency to pause timers in those situations. Am I remembering correctly or is that wishful thinking?

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

Plus they often sound way cooler on a hit than they normally do.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

drat that Professor Mark, whoever they are. Looks like he's gone through and beat a bunch of my highscores on some older tables. I don't want to have to fight through V12 again!

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I also really have to stop getting most of my points on the first ball and then doing really lovely for the next ones. I've had games where I scored 90 percent of my points on Ball 1. I think I get in my head too much and start overthinking.

It's weird isn't it? I have to assume this is pretty common, and not just something that happens to you and me only.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

Beatnik-Filmstar posted:

Taking a break from TPA and switching back to FX2 lately. No idea how Gromit and Professor Mark could stand to play long enough to get those scores. The phrase "Cotton Candy Panda" will probably make me snap for the next week after this.

Of course 200+ of that was my first ball which saw me beating the wizard mode, getting both achievements, and collecting an end of ball bonus higher than my previous high score.

I just really enjoyed that table, and for some reason the voice work didn't annoy me. On paper it should be infuriating. If I remember correctly I was completing 3 or 4 wizard modes per ball at least, as you'd probably expect. Lots of extra balls available on that one, so don't pass them up.

There's still a ton of tables I've yet to start, so I'm looking forward to hitting those as I see people posting their scores here. I like to try and get some sort of mastery over each table before moving onto another, and then some bugger will beat my score on an older one and I'm driven to return and try and claw it back. At this rate I'm not sure I'll ever play them all. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

This was like iRend and I back in the day. I think we pushed each other over the edge on the Sorcerer's Lair table to get some scores neither of us would have remotely considered. I'll have to go back to that at some point to see if I can beat him again, but I'm admitting defeat at the moment.