Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

I've been playing the poo poo out of the new tables on FX 2 the last few days. I'm also a big fan of The Williams Collection and of course real pinball, but I haven't played much of that lately.

GT: ParallaxScroll

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

My Secrets of the Deep score is better than yours.

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

Doggles posted:

I was actually shocked that that ended up being the 8th highest score in the game. It's certainly the highest I've ever been on any Live leaderboard.

EDIT: I'm gunning for you Parallax Scroll!

Bring it!

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

I'd chime in on Secrets of the Deep, but you guys pretty much have it covered. Do lots of Mine Chaos and get the extra ball off the Shipwreck when you can. One other piece of advice I can give is that it's pretty easy to trap the ball on either side on this table, and there's no need to ever bounce pass.

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

Desdinova posted:

And Svampson, if that works I shall thank you endlessly (from my new top position on the scoreboard :D )
Good luck with that. BTW, I'd add you but your friends list is full.

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

Passing in FX2 is a lot more difficult (and less realistic) than in The Williams Collection. Bounce passing works most of the time in FX2, but sometimes the ball will hit the lowered flipper, not bounce at all, and slide quickly down to the center drain. Maybe over time I'll learn FX2's bizarre cartoon physics well enough that I can predict when this will happen, but right now it's often not worth the risk.

I can sometimes get post passing to work on some FX2 tables, but where it sends the ball is so inconsistent that I haven't found post passing to be practical on a single table yet.

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

Tasteful Bulge posted:

Surfaces don't react realistically. When a ball hits a flipper, it doesn't bounce like it's hitting rubber. Angles are calculated strangely, which causes the ball to behave oddly at times and ricochet in ramps (rather than guide smoothly) or just move in the wrong direction altogether. And I may be crazy, but I swear the ball is constantly changing weight.
Yeah, despite being a massive improvement over the turds that were Pinball FX 1 and Zen Pinball, Pinball FX 2 is still nowhere near as good as The Williams Collection.

Don't get me started on the way FX 2 handles tilt.

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

Sizone posted:

Don't touch the left analog stick, no matter how much your instinct tells you it might save your ball.

You can use it, and I do. But I just can't use it nearly as much as I'd like to.

ponzicar posted:

After getting tired of Pinball FX2, I decided to pick up the Williams Collection for the 360, even though I already owned it on the Wii. It was worth it, since the game looks much better, and the new tables are all great. Medieval Madness is now my new favorite table. I just wish it had the leaderboard and friends list features that Pinball FX2 has.

Well, it does have leaderboards. I'll give you a dollar if you can beat one of my scores.

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

Zen also seems to be a big fan of having modes you can fail. Being told you've failed over and over again doesn't make a game fun. What can you "fail" in Medieval Madness?

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

Louis Buchalter posted:

This is especially lovely considering most of those modes require use of the upper flippers into awkwardly placed ramps. I wish they could just license tables from Stern.

I don't. Zen would gently caress it up with their lovely physics.

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

Oh well. It's still a good score.

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

SnatchRabbit posted:

How does pinball FX2 compare to Pinball HOF Williams on 360, specifically related to ball physics? I remember playing the original FX and being completely turned off by how unrealistic it felt.
Pinball FX 2 ball physics is dog crap compared to Pinball HOF Williams. There is absolutely no comparison. FX 2 is still fun and I still play it, but The Williams Collection is the better game by leaps and bounds.

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

Sizone posted:

Except the likelyhood of the ball quantum tunneling, going through the glass and outside of the table on Pin-Bot and Whirlwind. I remember the ball hitting the glass a lot on real Pin-Bot tables, but I don't remember it ever going though it.

Physics aside, PFX2 has an advantage in a number of areas. 1: It's designed as video pinball. The tables, subsequently, are pretty wild. While this can be fun, my tastes stopped somewhere in the mid-late '80's. This also means that the aspect ratio of the tables is -loads- better than the Williams collection. The tables fit the screen nicely where as only a few of the tables in the Williams collection really fit the screen. Some are just too compressed unless you're playing on a monster t.v. (a screen rotation option would've been nice). 2: PFX2 is supported, there will be more tables for it, with the Williams collection we aren't even getting a bug fix. 3: PFX2 does better with some basic stuff, the camera view defaults to the last way you had it, for example. It also has a lot of options for adjusting various aspects of the table, you can set the difficulty to match your play level (which will prohibit you from competing for high scores, but which can make the tables a lot more fun sometimes), you can adjust flipper strength and lcd color (which doesn't affect high scores). 4: Online support is way better with PFX2, leaderboards on Williams are only accessible through the main menu and have none of the usual basic filters, like "friends only". PFX2, on the other hand, has drat near ideal leaderboard integration.

This is all true.

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

<--- Spider-Man champion (for now)

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

Tasteful Bulge posted:

I saw you playing the new tables from my friends list. How are they? Is there an Excalibur/Rome in the bunch?

Initial impression is that all 4 are fun, very playable tables. The physical table design of Spider-Man is great, especially the habitrails that look like webs.

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

The General posted:

Is there a "My spidey sense is tingling" sound byte? If not, it sucks

It has "spider sense tingling."

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

The General posted:

Ball save? Maybe kick backs?

I think he says it as part of a sort of combo thing. Sometimes he'll say "spider sense tingling!" and a few ramps flash a spider sense icon, and you have to quickly shoot the ramp. It might just be for points.

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

Blade sound bytes are awesome. Blade loves to talk about his silver balls.

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

SkunkDuster posted:

That's about all there is to hitting the GOR GAR drop targets. The other key skill required is using table english to keep it away from those side drains at all costs. Yes, I do have the tilt turned off because I am a dirty cheater.
Pssh. I rolled Gorgar 8 times with tilt ON.

Edit: But that is all solid advice (besides the tilt setting ;)). With the yellow bank shot you showed, you can "waterfall" all 3 GOR drop targets in a single shot. Another thing I will do is try to hit the top of the leftmost bumper, causing the ball to mimic the last part of that yellow arrow and hit the GOR targets. The final trick I use to prevent side drains without disabling tilt sensor is to predict where the ball will be 2-3 ricochets from now. Once you know what bank shots can lead to a side drain, nudge the machine hard (but not too hard) to bounce off the side wall and prevent the ball from ever getting near the drain.

a shiny rock fucked around with this message at 19:39 on May 3, 2011

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

SkunkDuster posted:

Do you have any tips for getting the right side planet advance/special target in PinBot or that loving west gate in Jive Time? I'm working on those two to finish up the wizard goals for those tables, but Jive Time seems about impossible. I'll hit that west gate for the extra ball maybe once every five games, and the goal calls for hitting it four times in one game. You have to get lucky twice to get just one extra ball (luck with the spinner and luck with the shot) so the wizard goal would be like luck to the 8th power or something.

PinBot is much more attainable, as you can advance the planets by hitting the left drop targets. I've advanced them to the sun a couple times, but haven't managed to hit that special target to get the wizard goal. It is so frustrating.

Edit: I got new high scores on Taxi and Space Shuttle during a Williams Challenge. Now I just have to wait for the Playstation Network to come back up to see if I took the #1 spot on the leader boards :ohdear:
Nope, I never learned that shot in Pinbot. I only play for points and never really bothered going for the challenges/achievements.

As for Jive Time, it's been a long time since I've played it, but IIRC I don't usually aim for the West Gate. I prefer to play a fairly safe Jive Time, keeping the ball mostly in the upper playfield. Here's a Jive Time strategy guide I made a while back:

And since I'm in a bragging mood, here are my scores for the Xbox version. I always play with the tilt sensor set to ON (the hard/real way to play), although there's no easy way for me to prove that. And I have no idea how many of the top leaderboard scores I'm competing against use the "cheat" setting, since the leaderboards don't care.

Gorgar: 8,541,650 (#2 on XBL, was higher than the PSN #1 last time I checked)
Pinbot: 12,077,280 (#18 on XBL)
Black Knight: 41,260,720 (#6 on XBL)
Funhouse: 478,427,300 (#11 on XBL)
Space Shuttle: 68,686,690 (#5 on XBL)
Taxi: 42,696,570 (#20 on XBL)
Whirlwind: 1,838,977,910 (#1 on XBL)
Firepower: 2,884,630 (#102 on XBL)
Sorcerer: 16,063,180 (#33 on XBL)
Jive Time: 371,970 (#10 on XBL)
Arabian Nights: 158,139,530 (#85 on XBL)
Medieval Madness: 909,478,130 (#58 on XBL)
No Good Gofers: 551,876,880 (#19 on XBL)
Williams Challenge: 823 (#10 on XBL)

Oh, and if I had to guess, your scores probably didn't save to PSN :(. I know Xbox scores don't save if you lose your XBL connection even momentarily during a game.

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

Sizone posted:

I gave the Mars table a try and in doing so fired up PFX2 for the first time in months. That came with some strange surprises. First, they reset the scores for Rocky and Bullwinkle (and gimped the gently caress out of the table's ballsave and scoring mechanism). And whoever was consistently kicking my rear end (parallaxscroll, I think) had xbox defriended me :( . As a result I am once again Pinball King, though it is a hollow title.
Sorry dude. :( I removed a lot of Pinball FX2 people to make room for Marvel vs Capcom 3 players. I'll add you again if you send me a friend request.

overshottoast posted:

Hell yeah, Red and Teds Roadshow. People hate on it, but I'm in love with it.
Why would people hate on the greatest pinball machine ever created.

Guido posted:

The Williams Collection is by far the best pinball videogame I've ever played, I wish that would get some dlc. Skunkduster's Space Shuttle score is ridiculous, and a good reason to have a copy on psp
drat right. Compared to The Williams Collection, Pinball FX 1 is dog poo poo, Zen Pinball is dog poo poo, and Pinball FX2 is slightly less stinky dog poo poo with nice friends list integration.

Remulak posted:

After working in Vegas all week I had about an hour to get to the Pinball HOF.

Overall holy poo poo that place is like a shrine.
I still need to visit that place. I know I'll love it.

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

SkunkDuster posted:

I think (hope) they will save for the PS3. When I took the #1 Space Shuttle spot (720M, I think), it took about 2 months of playing. I'm certain that I must have lost connection many times during that run, but the score stuck.

I said in an earlier post that there is no way I'd put that much time into space shuttle again, but I was trying to figure out how scores were calculated on the Williams Challenge and had a good run of Taxi for 261M, which beat my old score of 205M and I decided to go for the number #1 spot on the Williams Challenge which meant another grueling grind on Space Shuttle. I focused more on points per minute than playing safe and banking extra balls and ended up at 828M, which beat my previous #1 score of 752M.

Final score for the Williams Challenge was around 4250, so I'm just waiting for the servers to come back up and hoping that score will stick.

If that isn't enough for the #1 spot, I'm going to have to figure out how to play No Good Gofers. That one is very good for challenge points, but I have never put any time into learning how to play. A lot of people seem to like that table, but it just seems really cramped and not fun to play to me. I just whack the ball at whatever light happens to be flashing and my scores aren't that great.

My absolute least favorite machine is Tales of the Arabian Knights. It's just cramped and overly busy, and the strategy isn't very clear at all. I don't understand why they included this table instead of Earthshaker, High Speed, or F14 Tomcat. Then again, I just checked the internet pinball machine database and TotAN is rated #5 of all time.
Interesting about the marathon Space Shuttle score still saving. I do all my games in one sitting aside from bathroom breaks. My longest game was probably that Whirlwind score, which took about 6 hours. I forget how long 8.5 mil on Gorgar took... 4 hours maybe?

With your scores, you're probably aware that there's an upper limit of about 2.14 billion points on any table in the 360 or PS3 version. If you go past that, you'll wrap around into negative points and your score won't get saved to the leaderboards. I discovered that after a 6 hour game of Whirlwind, so I played Whirlwind again the next day and intentionally let my game end once I had passed the #1 score on XBL.

As for favorite tables, I think I had only played Pinbot and a tiny bit of Funhouse in arcades before I got this collection. Arabian Nights was actually my favorite early on, but after spending time with the other tables I don't really like it anymore. The physical table is probably cooler since it has a few playfield toys, and doesn't have the glitched Harem loop. And of course you can see what you're doing way better in real life.

Once I stopped going for high scores on the tables and just wanted to play some pinball for fun, I tended to play Jive Time the most often. I want to play more old poo poo like that.

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

Jorath posted:

Yeah, TOAN is really fun to me, mostly because of the lamp. There's only 1 real ramp in the game, so getting good at that shot is pretty much the only thing to learn as far as getting high scores.

I'd love to own a physical copy.
Shooting the lamp is pretty much the only thing you ever need to do on that table. Doing a mission? In multiball? Who gives a gently caress, just keep spinning the lamp.

Edit: And one other thing that sucks about the simulated version of Arabian Nights is that you can't palm the plunger. It's probably a great way to hit the skill shot on the real table.

a shiny rock fucked around with this message at 18:52 on May 4, 2011

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

The XBLA version of Pinball Arcade seems real solid. I'm ParallaxScroll on XBL if anyone wants to add me and compare scores.

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

Black Hole's actually my favorite one to play right now since it's so focused on ball control, nudging, and precision shots. I figure there's no better table to learn the physics for this new game inside and out before I move on to the other tables.

As far as strategy, I agree with everything Beelzebozo said. Like he said, Multiball's not particularly useful. There's no jackpot or double points or anything during it, so why bother. I hit 4.6 million earlier today (currently XBL #5) without getting a single multiball. A few other pointers I can add:

- Don't bother with the 3 rollover targets at the top. They advance the bonus multiplier, but it can be advanced much more easily on the lower playfield.
- Learn to trap the ball with light nudging on the lower playfield.
- If you end up in the lower playfield for any reason, immediately advance the bonus multiplier to x5. It's super easy.
- Be careful of setting off tilt, since most of your points will be coming from end of ball bonus.

A few ball control techniques for the main playfield:
- The bottom right flipper is generally the most useful.
- You can easily trap with the upper right flipper, then post pass to the lower right flipper.
- If the ball has enough momentum you can also easily bounce pass from the bottom left to the right flippers.

Beelz, what's your XBL?

a shiny rock fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Apr 6, 2012

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

I haven't played Pinmame myself, but I've heard that the physics and overall simulation are more accurate in Pinball Arcade. Plus, you know, it's legal.

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

I really love the fact that these are real, mechanical tables as well, and don't have any crazy "living" characters shooting lasers and jumping around and poo poo like the FX2.

I hate that poo poo so much in FX2. That, and the ping pong ball cartoon physics.

Any chance we could get a thread title update since Pinball Arcade is out on XBLA now?

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

Robnoxious posted:

The ball physics in Pinmame are fine and not much different then Zen. It all depends on how much love the coder puts into the table and there are many really good coders for Pinmame that could give Zen and PA a run for their money. There are also god awful abortions of table recreations. The trick is separating the wheat from the chaff. Where PA will benefit more is the polish on the graphics and that's not a bad thing.

If the Pinmame physics aren't much different from Zen, I don't know why you're wasting your time playing it. Zen physics are ultra-poo poo tier.

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

Luigi Thirty posted:

Black Hole's too sparse for me but I love just the aesthetic you saw in every manufacturer's tables in the early part of the decade. Especially the sci-fi tables with really dark GI lighting. Bally tables had some really complex and 1980s coke bender as poo poo art to go along with it, too.

I found it funny that Pinball Arcade is rated E10+, cause a lot of tables had some serious titties in the artwork.

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

I don't even bother with the Arabian Nights skill shot. I just let it rip. The amount of points you get for hitting it is miniscule.

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

RedContraGuy posted:

drat do I love this game. My Addams Family and Tales from The Crypt tables are needing repair right now, so any fix I can get is nice. But having a fix with good ball physics and a very low price tag? Awesome.

Even though I have the Williams Collection, I really want to have the complete Pin*Bot trilogy. I can't be alone in this. (Despite Pin*Bot being a cheating bastard with that left outlane.)

Of course nothing beats the real thing. But this Pinball Arcade is drat impressive for its realism.

It sure would be nice if the controller vibrated when you won a free game, though.

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

Yodzilla posted:

Zen is a million times better than 99% of the garbage out there. Go play any of the other iOS pinball games to see how bad it can be.

Despite that, Zen physics are still extremely bad. If you have low enough standards, go ahead and play it, but I don't see the point when something like Pinball Arcade exists.

a shiny rock fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Apr 6, 2012

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

After playing Pinball Arcade for a while, is it just me or is the nudge function virtually useless? Using it doesn't seem to affect the balls motion whatsoever.

Which platform are you playing it on? On 360 nudging with the left analog stick is a huge part of how I play.

Zip posted:

ya just looked it up.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QR_cb4wTiZU

In another forum they were discussing how they thought it was in the original ROM code but it doesn't happen with the ios version of the game.

Quite frankly even if it rolls over on the rom I still think the leaderboard should count it somehow. I do want a mostly sim feeling, but I'd love to know I trounced people on the leaderboard. :\

It wouldn't surprise me if that were the case (I haven't hit 10 bil yet to confirm it myself). Farsight's previous game, PHOF: The Williams Collection had the scores all wrap around after 2.1 billion. I'm not sure what score limitations the original table ROMs had.

Edit: Whoops, didn't see the video link. Yeah, looks confirmed. Hope they fix it.

Beelzebozo posted:

Check out the videos on their YouTube page. The more recently posted videos where the table looks like it is in a darkened room are the dynamic lighting. The older ones are the current 360 version. They've promised to backfill the new lighting model to all tables on the 360 version, and the first 360 DLC pack in May already has them. But as of next Tuesday only the PS3 will have it. It looks tremendously better.

That's great to hear that they'll be improving the lighting for the 360 version!

a shiny rock fucked around with this message at 07:06 on Apr 9, 2012

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

parasyte posted:

2.1 is pretty clearly a signed integer maximum. 10 is a weirder number and does sound like it has more to do with how the real table works with regard to displaying the score.

Yeah, and plenty of real-life pinball machines run out of digits and roll your score around on the display... that's no reason not to count the real score for leaderboards though.

Fazana posted:

Could someone please suggest a good table for someone who has only ever played pinball as a "Ooh the ball is near a flipper, hit it!" as a good base on how to learn how it should done. I've seen the general tips in the Op but wondered if there was a layout people prefer for starting out on.

I grabbed Zen Pinball along with the Epic Quest table on the ipad and other than finding out i haven't the faintest clue what i'm doing I did at least realise I wanted to improve. I have access to an ipad 3, a wii and a pc. Thanks!

Seconding Beelzebozo's recommendation of Pinball Hall of Fame: The Williams Collection for Wii. The loading screens even give tips on advanced techniques (which also work on real pinball machines) for doing things like passing the ball from one flipper to the other.

a shiny rock fucked around with this message at 07:28 on Apr 9, 2012

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Yeah, FX2 nudge was totally useless. While I guess PA's is slightly better, it doesn't really seem to impart any english on the ball. It's okay when physically hitting the ball with a nearby hard surface, but using it when a ball is just falling straight doesn't change the trajectory of the ball whatsoever. In a real machine a nudged ball in that situation would generally start curving in the direction of the nudge.

drat, and I wish the lock view button was on something other than X. When I built my custom controller for FX2, X wasn't needed so I didn't include it.

Hmm... I get a ton of use out of subtle nudges in Pinball Arcade and Pinball Hall of Fame. I think the idea is that in an open playfield area, you're giving the ball more of a "strafe" than a permanent change in its trajectory, due to the low friction between ball and surface.

In FX2 though? Yeah, pretty drat useless. The slightest touch was an almost guaranteed tilt warning. If you tilt warn in the Farsight games, it means you're overdoing it.

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

Zip posted:

ya but have you seen the tutorial for PA yet?
I looked at the one for TOM last night and it was 200+ pages of tips.
I think I learned more about pinball last night than I'd ever known before.

Also is the williams collection on digital download for xbox?

The PA tutorials are good, yeah. Fazana doesn't have an xbox though.

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

Fazana posted:

I got hold of the Wii Williams game and mucho thanks for the advice, the instructions for each table are fantastic. I think one table alone had 63 "pages" of stuff to do.

I have to ask though, what have I done in a previous life that makes you hate me so much? I'm referring to the recommendation to start with Gorgar specifically... It seems astonishingly cruel at regularly throwing the ball into an unreachable path and not shy about doing it 5 seconds after I pull the plunger :v:

Slightly more seriously, thanks again, the first hour alone taught me more than my entire previous attempts at pinballing had managed.

Once the ipad3 bugs are fixed I'll grab Pinball Arcade as well.

A couple reasons Gorgar is a great trainer table:

- It's simple. There's no multiball or jackpots or minigames to think about, so it allows you to put all your focus on fundamentals: keeping the ball in play and hitting targets to score points.
- It's unforgiving as you said, so if you want to do well you're forced to really learn how to control the ball.

Any skills you learn playing Gorgar will transfer immediately to the rest of the tables in that collection. That being said, play whichever one is fun!

One note about the tips in the OP: Many of the tips only apply to Zen pinball games. Most real pinball machines do not have the sort of "ball save" feature that is common in Zen tables. If you're playing real machines (or simulations of them, like in Pinball Hall of Fame or Pinball Arcade), focus on controlling the ball, since that's your only real tool available for keeping it in play.

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

Discount Viscount posted:

Taxi is a good table to move on to next, IMO. You have a big jackpot and such but the goal progression is pretty clear and there are only a couple of bonus modes that change how you score. Plus hitting those double ramps in succession is fun!

Yep, Taxi's a good one too. And probably less frustrating than Gorgar when you're starting out.

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

Just posted 27 million on Black Hole (360 version). I literally went "gently caress it, this is enough points" after a few hours and let the rest of my balls drain. I think I've got that table figured out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

Ramagamma posted:

Aw dude if you'd kept going for another 3 million you'd have snatched that number 1 spot.

Edit: Woops, I just spent my entire lunch hour racking up ball after ball on Arabian Nights. What a game.

Yep. I didn't know how many times I'd rolled it when I quit though. I actually thought I was around 15 mil. Besides, the top score will no doubt be beaten soon anyway.