Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!
Pin●Bot is a loving drain king. The outlanes emit pheromones that the ball finds irresistible. I wish it wasn't so because I love the aesthetics of it, but it's just not the most fun to play for me.

I found nearly all of the tables in Williams to be pretty fun, except for Sorcerer and Jive Time, which WhiteHowler just summed up perfectly. Taxi has twin ramps, which is always a fun feature. I have the Wii version of the collection and want the PS3 one for the two extra tables and extra graphical shine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!

elf help book posted:

Did I just suck at it or are the goals in Taxi pretty drat hard?

Some of them are, that drat bonus hole is a bit hard to shoot, and Pin●Bot is kind of an out-of-the-way passenger to pick up.

Actually come to think of it I have a hard time picking up Gorby as well. Still, there are enough ways to score that the main goal of the table seeming a bit tough doesn't detract from it for me.

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!

JustLikeMe posted:

If anyone has any questions about owning pins, or is interested in getting a real one and wants some advice on where to start looking etc please ask away. They're wonderful toys that have that slight element of magic to them. Oh and a bunch of friends, a couple of cases of beer, and a couple of pinball machines on free play is a great way to spend an evening!

What sort of regular maintenance do you do, and how hard are replacement parts to obtain? Obviously the toys are going to be difficult to replace depending on the machine, but those typically see a lot less wear than the nuts-and-bolts elements like the flippers.

Basically, tell us everything you know/have experienced about maintaining a pin.

On another note, anyone else out there who absolutely loved the first Pokémon Pinball (BLUE TABLE FOREVER!) and was extremely disappointed by Pokémon Pinball: Ruby & Sapphire? They really dumbed and slowed it down. The day after I got it I caught Jirachi, and I still haven't gotten Mew in the first game. The basic table layouts and goals are just fine and similar in most ways to the first game, but everything's tweaked to be so easy and slow with no way to bump up the difficulty.

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!

Sizone posted:

I need some help. Just got the Williams collection and I'm totally stumped by the "advance to the sun, hit the special" wizard challenge on Pin-Bot. Does anyone have some trick fro consistently hitting either the 3 left-side drop targets, or the right-side comet special hole? I've tried changing view points, shaking the poo poo out of the table, nothing seems to help.

That's the last one I need on Pinbot, too. Unfortunately the answer, as far as I know, is to place rubber bands across those Hungry Hungry Outlanes™, which sadly isn't a setting available in the virtual version.

quote:

Oh, and the secret to the Firepower 50k bonus challenge is multiball, it takes A LOT of stress out of the attempt and makes it easier to hit the side targets by dumb luck.

I would agree with this. I actually like Firepower quite a bit, the kickback is easy to activate and something about the six spot targets just feels good to me. Must be the SFX.

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!
I've been playing digital crack Metroid Prime Pinball again, along with a little Pinball of the Dead, and Galactic Pinball on the Virtual Boy.

I can't believe the DS doesn't have many more pinball games- Metroid Prime Pinball feels like holding a tiny pinball machine in your hands. So many ways to get artifacts. Except for a couple of minor nitpicks it's the best videogame pinball I've ever played, and does a great job of balancing the crazy videogameness with solid real-world pinball design. To top it all off it uses the Metroid Prime theme to terrific effect, smartly incorporating a ton of elements and the basic progression of the source game while adding a few new things (the multiball modes) that fit in just fine in a pinball context. That balance between being a pinball game and a videogame that borrows elements from pinball is perfectly struck, and everything just feels great.

Pinball of the Dead has some frustrating goals (you almost spell more words in it than in Typing of the Dead) and I hate the second of the three tables. The physics could be better, too, but I'm a sucker for the overall theme, and it's fun enough. Great use of the infamous House of the Dead 2 sound clips, especially "My God" when the last ball drains.

Galactic Pinball shows off the 3D effects nicely and I like the aesthetic choice of an air hockey puck in lieu of a ball. I don't think any of the tables are really all that great but it still manages to be fun, probably because of how well it exploits the Virtual Boy.

And while I'm here, here's a link to the demo version of Microsoft Pinball Arcade- have fun playing Gottlieb's Haunted House for free!
EDIT: I feel like I've linked it before.

Discount Viscount fucked around with this message at 06:57 on Nov 27, 2010

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!

snackmar posted:

What's your score in Galactic Pinball's Cosmic table? I'm at 12m :)

I think I'm at 9 million or so from the one really good game I played. Let's go check.

EDIT: I was pessimistic, it's actually 12,151,00! The guy I bought the VB and games from still has the top score at 17 million something, though.

I get the feeling Alien is a bit unbalanced in terms of progression- I had one good round that skyrocketed my score and it seemed like it took almost nothing to activate the high scoring mode. Really, I don't know how well any of them are balanced, except that Cosmic and Colony are my favorites of the four.

Discount Viscount fucked around with this message at 07:11 on Nov 27, 2010

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!

Random Stranger posted:

Thanks for cross posting that. I wasn't going to since I wasn't sure if this thread would be interested in a ten year old pinball game that would be tough to get for the majority of them.

The European release was "Pinball Power" FWIW. And the developer is Little Wing.

Upon searching a bit more, there's also a Dreamcast version, and playing imports on Dreamcast is super easy! And as of right now there's a few copies available for cheap on eBay.

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!
Speaking of soundbites, I just came to the realization that somewhere, somehow there needs to be a DOOM table.

I also just realized someone may have made one for Visual Pinball.

Why yes, there's at least one! Now I want to see a StarCraft one. Pinball of the Dead really throws into relief how much great sound effects can mean to the enjoyment of a table.

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!

metallicaeg posted:

Most of my time in the Williams set is spent on Medieval Madness and Taxi. Well today I was playing a bunch of the tables that I don't touch too often, and completed all five wizard goals in one play on Space Shuttle. :smug:

Space Shuttle has totally become my chill table. It is so easy to get extra balls and to activate multiball. I've racked up like 5 or 6 extra balls at a time; usually I can't be sure when the game is actually going to end because I have no idea how many I have if I've been doing well. The look and sound of the table are great, though, and despite my above testament it's not always the case that I'm sitting on three free games' worth of extra balls in one game, but it does happen fairly often.

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!
You're certainly not alone.

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!

metallicaeg posted:

Alright, so I've got the Williams set for 360, the Gottlieb set for PSP, two of the Pro Pinball games for my girlfriend's PSX, now how good is the Metroid Prime pinball for DS?

Incredible. There are two "proper" tables with multiple goals, four other boss fight tables, and one table (Magmoor Caverns) for the local wireless multiplayer mode. The main game has you completing modes and activating goals on the two main tables to earn ten artifacts, then going to the first two boss tables (Phendrana Drifts and Phazon Mines) to defeat the bosses and collect their respective artifacts. Getting all twelve lets you move on to the Meta Ridley boss table, which is played out with some crazy multiball, then finally on to fight Metroid Prime on the last table, and then you do it all over again at a higher difficulty. It adapts the basic structure of Metroid Prime to a pinball game pretty drat well. Beating the main progression once unlocks Expert Mode, which starts you off with the bonus modes set to the higher difficulty levels and eliminates earning extra balls.

You can also pick from the 6 tables in the main mode to tackle individually for a high score (the boss tables are actually time trials rather than played for points) and practice on the Magmoor Caverns table.

The basic bonus modes are centered around killing a bunch of enemies on the table within a minute (with time extensions available.) Going through the four of these on the main tables, success or failure, lets you move to another table- either the other main one or the first two boss tables, your choice. I like to get the boss tables out of the way as soon as I can, since you can go from one right to the other as soon as you beat the first, and you absolutely have to get one artifact from each of them. It's possible to earn the other 10 on either of the main tables alone, but it gets harder as you complete the bonus modes since doing so levels them up on that table.

Discount Viscount fucked around with this message at 06:57 on Dec 8, 2010

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!

metallicaeg posted:

Sounds like I'd enjoy it without playing any other Metroid game before?

Yeah, enjoying Metroid Prime helps of course but it's simply a great pinball game in its own right. Good speed, most of the shots feel great. The only caveat is that nudging is controlled via the touch screen, and there's no comfortable way to always be ready to nudge while gripping for the flippers.

I think the only Metroid-y thing you need to realize is that you can make Samus (the ball) drop bombs on the playfield by pressing B, but the manual and simply playing should explain everything, really.

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!
On the Wii I try to emulate a forward nudge by swinging both. Don't know how accurate that is. It's mostly useful for death saves on Gorgar.

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

For me, it isn't just the art, but I don't like it when digital pinball tables do things that real pinball games can't. Having a few characters on the playfield is fine, but keep their action limited as if they were some sort of very limited animatronic puppet. Don't have them flying across the playfield on gliders and stomping around on robot spider arms. The base tables are fairly good at keeping things within the realm of possibility, but the Marvel tables just throw that out the window and act like there are miniature living characters under the glass.

I don't really mind that depending on the game and what it's trying to accomplish, as long as the tone is pretty consistent. There are pinball video games and then there's video pinball. Kirby's Pinball Land is a pinball video game; Pro Pinball: Big Race USA is video pinball. Metroid Prime Pinball is a pinball video game but everything's so well fleshed-out that you really want it to be a real table :allears:

Having not played the Marvel tables and having played the Zen Pinball demo, I can definitely see where you'd have a problem with that stuff since the Zen/PFX engine seems to aim for a recreation of realistic pinball.

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!

SkunkDuster posted:

Took the high score on GORGAR yesterday. Three down, 10 to go. My sights are on Firepower, Black Night, or maybe Funhouse next.

Good loving God.

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!

Chinook posted:

Cirqus Voltaire (looove it)

I've never played this one, but after the Williams Collection came out and everyone was dreaming up lineups for follow-up games I saw a video of it on YouTube and immediately fell in love.

You know what'd be really sweet, though? A videogame version of Pinball Circus. One of these days I need to make my way to the Pinball HOF & Museum in Las Vegas and play that thing.

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!

codyclarke posted:

I'm new to this whole video game pinball thing, and I'm curious: can you buy pinball controllers for a PS3 or whatever? Like, essentially a box with two buttons on the side and a ball shooter plunger? Are there fight sticks that have this? I looked online and I only see custom ones people have made.

The X-Arcade has buttons on the side specifically for pinball, but no plunger.

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!

Stealthed Zombie posted:

Does anyone know the amount of crossover between Williams Pinball and the new Pinball Arcade coming out? I picked up Williams not too long ago, but this one seems just as good.

So far all we've seen that's in both is Tales of the Arabian Nights. Only four tables have been shown for the base game, one from each of the brands (Bally/Williams/Gottlieb/Stern.) I'm sure more of the Williams Collection tables will show up later. The big differences are DLC tables and going after tables based on existing licenses (with Ripley's Believe It Or Not being the one shown in the trailer.)

Hope Data East and Sega get thrown into the mix down the line.

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!

gypsyshred posted:

Now that Pinball Arcade is out on iOS, have they said when we should expect new tables? I can imagine when the PC/Console version is released?

Plan is to put out one a month, I believe, so actually, yeah, probably about then.

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!
Tilt usually kills end of ball in most pinball games, yes. I can't off the top of my head recall one which allows you to bank those points, though there probably is one. It's one more disincentive on top of straight up losing the ball.

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!

Fazana posted:

I got hold of the Wii Williams game and mucho thanks for the advice, the instructions for each table are fantastic. I think one table alone had 63 "pages" of stuff to do.

I have to ask though, what have I done in a previous life that makes you hate me so much? I'm referring to the recommendation to start with Gorgar specifically... It seems astonishingly cruel at regularly throwing the ball into an unreachable path and not shy about doing it 5 seconds after I pull the plunger :v:

Slightly more seriously, thanks again, the first hour alone taught me more than my entire previous attempts at pinballing had managed.

Once the ipad3 bugs are fixed I'll grab Pinball Arcade as well.

Taxi is a good table to move on to next, IMO. You have a big jackpot and such but the goal progression is pretty clear and there are only a couple of bonus modes that change how you score. Plus hitting those double ramps in succession is fun!

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!

Starhawk posted:

I know Pinball Arcade just came out yesterday (PS3) and it won't last to the end of the week, but I've never been on top of a leader board before...

I'm "JAK" which are my actual initials :downs:. Didn't give me time to think of something witty.

Unless I'm horribly mistaken, that's the local high score table. For online leaderboards you need to do the Facebook integration thingy.

I just picked it up on PS3 tonight and oh my goodness TOTAN looks gorgeous. So do the rest of the tables, but TOTAN makes obvious the new lighting model is definitely an improvement from Williams Collection. Looking forward to the upcoming table smorgasbord but these 4 should keep me plenty busy for a while.

Anyone that likes Black Hole's playfield gimmick should check out Haunted House.

Discount Viscount fucked around with this message at 10:18 on Apr 11, 2012

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!

Howard Beale posted:

"Tilt! The Battle to Save Pinball" is on Netflix streaming,

No it isn't, but that's okay because the special features on the DVD are loving incredible and everyone who loves pinball should probably grab it. (The movie alone is on iTunes, though, if I recall correctly.)

quote:

and it's a much better documentary.

Yes. Special and Chasing Ghosts are really best as companion pieces to Tilt and Kong, respectively, with less of a narrative and more of a scattershot look at the people involved. That dude with the huge collection of pinball parts and documentation was probably my favorite dude because he's kind of a loser but harmless, and seems to really enjoy what he does, and it's really hard to find fault with that even if I wish he'd find better-fitting shirts. Also he likes Slick Chick, which was one of my favorite older machines in Microsoft Pinball Arcade.

Ripley's seems really loving hard, though that may just be the huge ruleset crushing my brain.

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!

Howard Beale posted:

Aw, man, it was just on Netflix this weekend. Their expiration policies don't make sense. What are the DVD features?

tilt-movie.com posted:

• The 60-minute TILT: The Battle to Save Pinball documentary.
  • The Directors' Commentary track, filled with anecdotes about the making of the film and thoughts on the pinball industry.
  • More than three hours of extra interview footage, including never-before-seen insights into the process of designing a pinball machine with industry greats Pat Lawlor and George Gomez.
  • An interview with pinball legend Steve Kordek on the early days of the industry.
  • Former Williams Vice President Larry DeMar, co-creator of video game classics Defender and Robotron: 2084, on the early days of video games and the evolution of pinball through the '80s and '90s.
  • Noted pinball historian and industry figure Roger Sharpe on his amazing role in legalizing pinball in New York in the 1970s!
  • Video of George Gomez's legendary Pinball Expo 1999 speech, given just days before Williams shuttered their pinball division!
  • A video tour of the former Williams pinball factory!
  • An additional film commentary track by the film participants chiming in with their thoughts on the current state of the pinball industry.
  • Footage of three great unreleased Williams pinball machines: Wizard Blocks and Playboy, the un-finished third and fourth Pinball 2000 games, and Bally's Pinball Circus, an amazing multi-level pinball machine...only two were built!
  • The Williams "Pinball 2000" launch video, the same video used to market directly to pinball distributors.

Highlighted a few of my favorites, it's all good though. I wish Roger Sharpe's book was in a library near me.

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!

Ramagamma posted:

Edit: Its actually impossible to love Pinball in Scotland. Can't find any information on pinball tables/clubs in Glasgow or Edinburgh.

It may be a bit out of your usual way, but check from Soho down to Brighton.

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!
The Pinball Megathread: We don't talk about Odama
The Pinball Megathread: Big Race USA still available on GOG!
The MegaPinball Thread: All Hercules All The Time

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!

goferchan posted:

Edit: speaking of which, I wish you could change operator's settings in PA. Tournament play usually involves extra balls being disabled

This is like my only complaint mechanically with the FarSight games, and the only way I can explain it to myself is that it would take more bug testing on each table, and when the goal is getting a bunch of tables out in a timely fashion then that sort of thing goes by the wayside. The Pro Pinball series could do it because each release was a standalone game.

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!

Parallax Scroll posted:

- Spinning the lamp 15 times activates the lightning lamp minigame and also lights "make a wish." Your lamp spins also add to the end of ball bonus, making the lamp a very worthwhile target.

Plus it's just fun as poo poo to make that thing spin. Lookit'er go! One of my favorite gimmicks, and it's so simple! The lightning lamp music/sound effects don't hurt, nor does the animation on the DMD.

The music, sound, and light design on that table are some of my favorites- the end of ball bonus flourish in particular is entertaining. The wavy ramps resembling smoke really complete the look.

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!

goferchan posted:

I saw this table the first time watching that TILT documentary the other day and it looks so cool

Yeah, ever since seeing it in that I've wanted to play it.

It'd be really neat to see Revenge From Mars, The Pinball Circus, and Baby Pac-Man all somehow end up on the DLC slate. And Wizard Blocks with artwork!

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!

Yodzilla posted:

Same here. What's so hard about hitting the trunk? I can do it almost every time off of the right flipper.

Hitting the trunk isn't hard, but getting it into the hole is noticeably harder. I frequently send a ball up that lane only to see it bounce off the corner of the trunk.

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!
My strategy on Black Hole is to try to complete both sets of drop targets and lose my ball two times before this happens, then lose the third ball to a premature trip to the black hole itself.

Top score so far is around 300k.

It's actually a pretty fun table but gee whiz do I suck at it.

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!
Without looking I'd guess BURP multiball.

EDIT: I see Dragon Multiball listed online. Don't know if that's the counterpart to this particular mode or not.

Discount Viscount fucked around with this message at 04:47 on May 9, 2012

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!
Had the Ripley's multiball glitch happen to me tonight, on the same ball I got the final standard goal (the skill shot.) Quitting out and not getting the "Congratulations! You unlocked the Wizard Goals" message had me worried, but as suspected (and probably mentioned here back when people were running into that glitch for the first time) simply starting up another game and draining 3 balls did the trick.

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!

Yodzilla posted:

I don't know if I'd really want custom balls. That sounds really distracting and potentially really ugly.

This is pretty much how it was on Williams Collection, yes. It was neat to mess around with for a round occasionally but it is distracting as hell.

Still might donate for the TZ ball just because, though. It'd be a nice little trophy that at least does something.

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!

petewhitley posted:

This is what I don't understand, Zen Studios has done it at least a half dozen times since their release on the 360 (two Marvel Packs with another upcoming, Mars, Epic Quest, Sorcerer's Lair, Paranormal, Ms. Splosion Man, and I'm probably forgetting some).

My armchair guess would be that Zen did it in some way that doesn't count as a title update, or they cleared everything with Microsoft and got special exemptions way before.

That, or pinball machine ROMs are bigger than I expected.

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!
At least that makes sourcing some of the replacement parts easy :bubblewoop:

On the PS3 side of things the Pinball Arcade delays don't seem that bad. When the DLC comes out later this month they'll pretty much be back on schedule for one new pack of tables a month following release.

I now see why Nintendo only announces things a few months before they come out, though.

Speaking of, I'd love to see Farsight digitize the Gottlieb Super Mario tables, either for Pinball Arcade on Wii U/3DS (if/when those ever happen) or as a standalone game for Nintendo.

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!

DarthXaos posted:

Data East pinball was bought by Sega which was later bought by Gary Stern and became the modern Stern company (not to be confused with the Stern company in the 70s run by Gary's father Sam)

Pinball companies sure have a weird way of splitting off and recombining like T-1000. Midway/Atari Games in particular went through so many sales and mergers... and now Warner Bros. owns most of the remains, after having previously owned the Atari brand for home video games at one point.

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!
I was browsing through Nintendo Power volume 100 the other day, wondering what in the hell I've done with my life since then, and in their Pak Watch section for upcoming releases they listed their predictions as to what the first 100 Nintendo 64 releases would be (including games already out.) One of those was Addams Family Pinball.

Sadly archive.org doesn't have a snapshot of the Digital Eclipse site during the time the game was mentioned on it.

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!
As a historical overview of Gottlieb tables it was pretty good. I rather enjoyed the EM tables, but I also hadn't played much pinball at that point. Knock Out's fighters in the ring is the earliest toy on the playfield I've seen. It's crazy how small the flippers were on older tables.

The demo version consisting of Haunted House fully playable is on Microsoft's website for the game. Only restriction is no multiplayer and that doesn't really matter anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!

Captain Cool posted:

I just tried this. Haunted House is capped at 200k points.

That shows you how lovely I am at it :(

Or how bad the table is and I just give up before then. But if Black Hole is any indication it's the former.