Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

quietmonkey
Nov 23, 2002
I'd like some more pinball buddies too. GT is Holstin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

quietmonkey
Nov 23, 2002
Well this sucks. I managed to beat all of my friends scores on Bucaneers but during one of my multiballs I managed to get a ball stuck on the board that won't come lose even when I jiggle with tilt.

If I tilt enough to get penalized what happens? I never really use tilt so am unfamiliar with the penalty and really don't want to lose this great game I have going.

quietmonkey
Nov 23, 2002

BlazeKinser posted:

I think it just ends that ball and you forfeit any end of ball bonuses. Be careful though, I had a ball get stuck on Xtreme and when I tried to shake it loose it just kinda fell through the table, and left me no choice but to restart.
Yeah the ball is so firmly stuck in a weird spot that I don't think it's going to come lose. gently caress. I have 23 million and at this point 2 extra balls past this one if I could unstick it.

quietmonkey
Nov 23, 2002

Tasteful Bulge posted:

Behind the wheel? It's never coming loose. Restart is the only option there. Physical tables (and Pro Pinball) will start flipping things and knocking bumpers to loosen a stuck ball. FX doesn't, but hopefully they will get enough feedback and patch it in.
It's stuck above the upper left bumper, trapped between some of the lane framework. The spot is so tight that tilt just makes it jiggle slightly but not really go anywhere at all.

It's extra annoying too because I noticed on the new boards that it seems to remove a stuck ball and relaunch it if a ball is caught in place too long.

quietmonkey fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Nov 5, 2010

quietmonkey
Nov 23, 2002
Well, I had to restart, but now I'm back to 25 million again with I think 4 more balls to go so gently caress you game :)

quietmonkey
Nov 23, 2002

Dissapointed Owl posted:

Trying to beat other player's scores is so much fun. This game was completely worth the asking price.
It feels awesome when you get a good game going and then start seeing updates on topping your personal best and then all of a sudden you're watching multiple avatars show up in the corner as you bust out the pinball wizardry.

quietmonkey
Nov 23, 2002
Haha, awesome. I can't wait to look like a superdork along with you.

quietmonkey
Nov 23, 2002
I just beat Merely Whelmed's Secrets of the Deep score by a measly 300 points to steal second place on my friend rankings and kind of feel bad about that. 60,370,300 vs 60,3700,000 - it just doesn't seem right.

I'll have to try to make it a more convincing win but my left trigger finger is starting to hurt.

quietmonkey
Nov 23, 2002
Haha I just finished a game and saw that. Nice work.

I doubt I'll be beating that as I seem to have lost my multiball magic for the time being.

That and because it's a loving great score and I probably got pretty lucky with 60m in the first place.

quietmonkey fucked around with this message at 04:19 on Nov 7, 2010

quietmonkey
Nov 23, 2002
I can't get a handle on Excalibur either and it makes me a little crazy because I still enjoy playing it even though it constantly frustrates me. It has so many little things that throw me off when I start to feel like I'm doing well.

Are you a knight? Or merely a squire?

gently caress YOU MERLIN

quietmonkey
Nov 23, 2002

Desdinova posted:

Just found out the Mars and Paranormal tables are coming out as DLC for the 360, as well as a Marvel table. No dates as of yet though.

Ref: http://195.56.170.66/forum/showthread.php?s=ee73dc0b877fa59fcf6c6e93363db1ce&t=2495

(about post 25)

Anyone got any tips for BioLab or Secrets of the Deep? Those are the 2 tables keeping my wizard score down (as well as SF2 but I don't play that much)
I don't think you're on my friends list to know what your score is at on Secrets of the Deep and I know there's some people here who have my score beat by miles, but I have third place on my friends list so hopefully I can be helpful.

The approach I take is to prioritize shooting the mine ramp. It's, I think, five mine ramp shots to get a two ball multiball going. When you have a multiball going all of the ramps (I think?) provide jackpots, so if you're good with multiball (or lucky with spasming and keeping the balls alive like me) you can get a good payoff from just one mine multiball alone. I'm pretty sure I managed 10 million or close with one extremely lucky mine multiball.

At some point you're likely to have raised the second part of the sunken treasure (the upper targets in the middle), and once you have then the mine ramp also puts your ball into that top area to work on raising the sunken treasure further. It also lets you shoot for shark attack targets in that upper left portion.

Any time the ball rests on the left flipper I shoot for the right ramp to move the submarine along and store balls for the abyss multiball. This has the annoying side effect of hull breaches if you only partially hit the ramp. When this happens I usually just trap the ball until the breach is over since you can't actively work on much else aside from plugging the breach and I suck at hitting any of them except the middle one. They're worth 600k total if you can plug both though.

Along the same lines, I also usually end up holding the ball for a long time after a Kraken attack. The attack comes after hitting the Kraken ramp too many times, though I'm not sure of the exact number it takes. When the attack first starts though, I do try to shoot the target ramps and lanes that get lit since they are worth 100k each (I think) but I'm not terribly accurate so I don't think I've ever hit all of them in the time it allots. So afterwards I end up cradling a ball for nearly a minute during the really long hull breach that follows.

So with the mine multiballs being worth good scoring by themselves, the shark attack multiball that you can work towards while shooting the mine ramp, the treasure raising you can work towards while shooting the mine ramp, and the eventual abyss multiball you can hit when you have the ball on the left flipper instead of the right, you can end up with a lot of jackpot hits from the various multiball modes.

I'm still not even sure what lights the gutter defenses, but working on the above seems to get them lit, so that works out too I guess.

quietmonkey
Nov 23, 2002

Desdinova posted:

Thanks!
Which one is the mine ramp? I already try for the submarine, mainly for the multiball but also each ball locked lights the ball save.

Oh, hitting the target through the periscope nets half a mil each time, and also lights the ball save.

The gutter defenses are lit by hitting the area to the left of the ship wreck, it says something like "Charging Right Magma Save" when you are doing it right.

Send me a request - GT is DesdinovaBOC
Sent a request as Holstin.

Ok yeah I forgot about the magma save charging. I remember thinking that was likely the defense but was never sure. Add that as another benefit of hitting the mine ramp though. (provided that the first level of the treasure/shipwreck is raised)

The mine ramp is the left-most ramp - the one that is set back slightly and next to the ramp connected to the Kraken.

Another note about the mine multiball that I forgot - it seems that hitting two ramps lights the ball save for a time which helps extend your multiball time/chances. The shots might have to be within a certain time after each other though.

quietmonkey
Nov 23, 2002

Loonytoad Quack posted:

Has anyone else noticed the scoring seems broken on Buccaneer? Not only is it bloody impossible to get any kind of a decent score on that stupid thing, but some of the scoring definitely doesn't seem right. For example, when you hit the bumpers, it will say "Hit 30 for 100,000", yet it only actually awards 10,000 if you do it. Is it broken or am I missing something obvious?
I think they adjusted the scoring on some of the older tables. I know someone in this thread mentioned being disappointed at their Speed Machine attempts after watching some youtube examples, but as it turned out the youtube stuff was the old version of the table. When that person tried the old table he/she got drastically different results.

So, probably a holdover of the old scoring for the table that was overlooked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

quietmonkey
Nov 23, 2002

ornery owl posted:

It's free from October 26th until November 1st as a Deal of the Week or some such poo poo.
It's a fan appreciation thing. A Zen guy on their forums said PFX2 has done well this year and the free table is a bit of thanks for that.

I'm sure it doesn't hurt from a marketing standpoint either though, getting people who haven't tried it yet to download the FX shell and maybe explore and buy other tables once they have tried the free one.