Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

At the suggestion of the dudes in the Retro Gaming thread I'm gonna cross post this:

Is this the right place to discuss arcade games and pinball? I've been posting about my stuff in the imp zone, but i thought I'd bring it here:

I am now officially the Volunteer Coordinator for:

Free Play Florida

http://www.freeplayflorida.com

quote:

Free Play Florida is an exciting three day event that encompasses a complete pinball, arcade, and console gaming experience. All of your classic and current pinball and arcade games will be on display for you to play, join the International Flipper Pinball Association (IFPA) sanctioned pinball tournament and compete with the best in the state of Florida, sit in on our speaker panels that include industry icons, and visit our valued vendors selling parts, memorabilia, and some of the coolest themed art on the planet!

So if you like arcade games and or pinball and are going to be in Florida on November 9-11, do the thing. Or, you can volunteer to help with the thing at http://www.freeplayflorida.com/volunteer

ALSO ask me about my Total Nuclear Annihilation machine I'll be getting in April. :D

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

mattfl posted:

Where abouts are you at and can I come play that TNA?! I’m also in the orlando area.

Do you goto the pinball lounge much? That’s really the only place near me to play, otherwise I play on my virtual cab.

I don't have it yet. When I do get it, it'll be at BART on Mills avenue for a while (http://www.bartcade.com)

And re the lounge: Ed/Kurt are good friends of mine, I usually go out on Fridays, was there playing Dialed In last week.

PM Me your number if you want, we can head out there some time, I need to play more Houdini.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

mattfl posted:

Where abouts are you at and can I come play that TNA?! I’m also in the orlando area.

Do you goto the pinball lounge much? That’s really the only place near me to play, otherwise I play on my virtual cab.

I will likely be at the lounge tonight.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i'm a bit loving mad spooky is working on Alice before I have my TNA, but whatever

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

fuckin Spooky needs to get off its duff and get me my TNA machine.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

Still no update on my TNA cab. Startin' to get a tad annoyed.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

Discendo Vox posted:

Whoa Nellie, so that I could film it being office space'd.

I am unclear on what you have against

Whoa Nellie: Big Juicy Melons

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

pinball tables are not an investment.

where the gently caress is my TNA, spooky? where is it?

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

Trastion posted:

If I remember correctly it is not that it switches left and right side it's that the flippers are in the up position and you pushing the button makes them go down but it seemed like you could not hold it down long and its also during a multiball.

It was a weird thing to happen when you aren't expecting it at all.

Edit: Nevermind I was confusing this with Houdini which is what does the above...

Houdini's is also as tough as you want it to be, you can choose reversed or reversed+mirrored.

bonus multiplier....now....at....two x!

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

Total Nuclear just got a co-op mode apparently, looks cool.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

Lone Goat posted:

Our league venue got Total Nuclear Annihilation and it's an interesting game with an incredible soundtrack but whose loving idea was it to have lock steal in a game in 2018.

If it has the most updated software, you can play co-op!

quote:

To start a game in co op mode simply hold the start button down for a few seconds when adding player 1. The game will flash a confirmation on the LCD and a callout saying that co op mode is enabled. This is standard co op mode, which is all additional players are working together as a team to destroy the 9 reactors. All scores are shared, no extra balls, replays, or high score tables are enabled. It is your team vs. the future, that is it.

If you would like to make things a little competitive in co op mode, there is another co op type that can be selected. This other mode is team versus co op mode. This mode can be activated by pressing and holding the start button for a few seconds after the standard co op mode is enabled. This mode requires 4 players and will revert back to standard co op if not enough players are added before shooting the first ball. In this mode, players 1 and 3 will be going up against players 2 and 4. This is also called “odds vs evens” in some tournaments. All progress and scores are shared between each of the players within their respective teams. Just like standard co op, no extra balls, replays, or high score tables are enabled.

Edit: where the gently caress is my tna, spooky. where is it?

Deviant fucked around with this message at 17:27 on May 10, 2018

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

Got 38th in a 71 player tournament yesterday, and two of my games were on Total Nuclear, which I put up the #3 score on. :D

Not great, but it's an improvement from my previous *dead last*.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

Got a speaker mod kit and mirrored side blades for my TNA.

https://www.facebook.com/SpookyPinball/videos/1768332596561293/

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

Niwrad posted:

I've never heard of this company but it's already sold out. Stern is making them.

http://www.supremenewyork.com/shop/accessories/hohen3zr2

This looks suspiciously like Terminator 2.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

Niwrad posted:

It was kind of funny watching Pinside trash people buying that machine when half that board has lost money to pre-ordered machines that never got made.

Just taking a glance at that place it's pure cancer.

pinside was the reason i got a nasty response when i asked where my TNA cabinet is at, people have said some TERRIBLE poo poo about the woman who does their emails.

where the gently caress is my TNA spooky. i want it.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

I should be getting my TNA this month, if not I'm gonna get real mad and maybe sell my deposit.

They were starting on the 200s as of June 18, and mine is 233.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

algebra testes posted:

Played total anihilation

:mad:

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

McSpanky posted:

Terminator 2 is driving me crazy, the last standard goal I need is the 10 million point escape ramp but it refuses to light the 10 mil award. Is this a glitch or are the instructions wrong or what?

having spent a lot of time on a physical t2, my expert opinion is that T2 is bad and you shouldn't play it and the lock skull shot drain can eat a dick

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

cosmicjim posted:

T2 is the opposite of bad.

hit skull, center drain, repeat.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

cosmicjim posted:

Mine doesn’t center drain from the skull that badly.

well the guy who owns this table is an operator and i trust him as far as i can throw him, so maybe that's it

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

TheMcD posted:

That's a likely possibility. I've played T2 on location quite a bit myself, and while it can be a bastard at times with its speed, the skull drop target should not be a drain shot. The outlanes are far more a killer for me than the center is. Also, does the T2 you play have a center post? I could imagine a BOFH removing that and causing some serious pain.

It has the post, for all the loving good it does.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Does he not have the post installed?

I just said it has the post, but it still center drains what feels like constantly.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

cosmicjim posted:

My cat agrees with the haters. Yesterday, I poo poo you not, my cat took a poo poo on the middle of the glass of my T2.

probably center drained that too

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

Tony Phillips posted:

????
No it's doesn't.

It just knocks Deviant back to the end of the TNA list.

At this point I think I'm just gonna flip it day one for +$$

Deviant fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Jul 20, 2018

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

I can't decide if I should try and sell my place in line for TNA//sell the cab day 1 for a bit of +$, or if I should keep it.

What do you guys think?

As of today, "We are 13 games away from starting yours. We have 16 on the line that will be done next week. Fingers crossed all goes well we should be on yours in 2 weeks or less."

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

Tony Phillips posted:

Depends how much you like TNA? I really liked it at first, but my enjoyment fell off pretty fast. Not to mention what else is available for that money.

I assume you really like it if you're buying. They do seem to retain most of their value on the secondary market. Probably wait it out - play a load and sell. Pretty much like any other machine.

Yeah, but I have access to one since then, and I could use the money. I'm leaning towards selling, I'm just not sure how much to ask for "you get to cut in line 8 months forward"

Looks like someone else sold his spot for +$500, which isnt bad, but I'm also not sure if I'd be happier with the money or the table. Thinking the money. The tables will only become more plentiful over time.

Deviant fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Jul 20, 2018

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

I'm gonna sell it. Even if it showed up today, throwing another $5400 in a hole is not something that makes financial sense right now. Ah well. I've still got access to one.

Edit: it's sold.

Deviant fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Jul 21, 2018

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

TheMcD posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xViHZhTMoGA

This. This is what I think of when I see that trailer.

this is the worst thing i have ever seen

this is worse than T2

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

cosmicjim posted:

Bram Stroker’s Dracula.

One Million!

Two Million!

Three Million!

Ah ah ah!

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

we play dollar matches on 8 ball deluxe, since it's pure finesse.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

Tony Phillips posted:

Played a game of 8 Ball Deluxe in a tourney last week and managed to hit two drop targets in three balls.
The 2x bonus once.
And had an uncontrolled ball go up and drop the 8 ball once.
Managed to go three straight balls without hitting any targets on the right side.

Counting up my super bad rear end end of ball bonuses - I think it came out to 62K for the game. Which isn't even close to the worst games I've seen on that thing. Still a drat great table though.

Do not attempt the right side targets. You'll get them naturally. Shoot for the 3 upper shots, the multiplier and the saucer.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

Today is the first week of my doubles league, and my partner thinks I'm better than he is, so I guess I'm the A player.

:ohdear:

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

Deviant posted:

Today is the first week of my doubles league, and my partner thinks I'm better than he is, so I guess I'm the A player.

:ohdear:

update: I woke up to a message from my teammate

"I know we needed a name, so how about Gray Hair and Silver Balls?"

I knew i liked this guy.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

Woo!

Picked up 6/8 league games and outscored the combined other team on 3 for the extra points.

Gotta wait for my partner to post play but I bet he'll pick up a bunch of these.

Good week so far. Already at 12/32 points.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

Unsinkabear posted:

Congrats! How does your league work, are you playing online or posting videos of in-arcade play?

I looked at the OP and tried out the games listed there and came to two somewhat sad realizations:

1. FX 3 is not for me. I wanted to love it because I have fond memories of that old space pinball game that used to come with Windows, but it's cheesy and feels like it's missing the mechanical soul of pinball somehow... just didn't click for me. I'd just rather play the two titles I have access to in Pinball Arcade ad infinitum.

2. After looking at the list of goon favorite tables I realized I was lucky enough to play Star Trek: TNG and Terminator 2 at Pinballz in Austin last year. Didn't know it was anything special at the time, I loved both but just assumed it was my subjective preference out of the few tables I had time to try. Activated the multiball on T2 through sheer dumb luck and yelled like a maniac the entire time (I am bad). It was one of my favorite parts of the trip. I'm now even more bummed I missed the opportunity to have those on my laptop anywhere I go. :cripes:

It's a 10 week 2v2 league, played all in-arcade on Tuesday nights. Better player on each team is A, weaker player is B.

4 points per game, 8 games per week. Alternate table choice between teams, table has to be available, no waiting in line to play.
A vs A is 1 point
B vs B is 1 point
Combined score of both teams is 2 points

Handicap worked in after based on average wins.

So my buddy is gonna come in on Friday and play his games on the tables we chose to figure out final scoring.

Also, he asked if he could pick our name, to which i said sure whatever, and we are now the Steel Magicians which is pretty rad.

Deviant fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Aug 8, 2018

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

Update: My boy crushed it, and we picked up 25/32 points this week.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

Oof, I did not have a good night last night at league.

Lost 7/8 games but also somehow put 700m on World Cup 94?

Deviant fucked around with this message at 15:24 on Aug 22, 2018

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

Eh, I was due for a bad week. We were in 4th of 24 teams, and my buddy has to post play, so we'll see if he can clean up my mess.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

I was out of town for a week and didn't read any of these posts.

T2 still sucks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

Doubles League Update:

We're in first place going into week 7/10. :stare: