Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
As someone who bought Pinball FX 1 then hated the Xtreme and Agents tables, I'm really happy to get all 3 achievements on each in FX 2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Did I just suck at it or are the goals in Taxi pretty drat hard?

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

BORK! BORK! posted:

The music from the pirate table on FX1/2 (buccaneer I think) get me pumped like a motherfucker every goddamn time but hooooly christ does that table suck :( I have tried so hard to like it but Excalibur just has so much more going on.

Every table has 3 achievements, an easy, a medium, and a hard one. I think it says a lot that Buccaneer's hard achievement is to finish any goal whatsoever.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Wow thats awful

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

I'm sure if I played a pinball video game that didn't include nudging that I wouldn't even notice.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

djnkro posted:

Hi

I'm looking at getting into pinball fx 2, the marvel ones look great. Do I need to buy the core to play the marvel tables?

No, the Pinball FX2 shell is free and you can buy any tables you want for it.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Cool, I got 75 million on Paranormal. I really like this table. It feels like I'm always doing something on it and never just aiming for a single goal.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

mattfl posted:

I built a i5 2500k system that's currently running at 4GHz. GTX 460 video card and 8 gigs of ram running win7. I've read people had issues with 7 but I've yet to see any problems.

Nudge controls yes. Plan on ordering a few mercury switches to wire into the iPac.

Buttons, I plan on ordering this pack from virtuapin.net

http://virtuapin.net/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=3&products_id=38

Figure there should be enough in there. I'll probably throw a wireless keyboard/mouse in there too just like you plan on doing.

What would those big rectangular buttons be used for on a pinball table?

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

This will get them more backing on Kickstarter from morons and they never actually have to work on it because Ouya won't exist. Smart move.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Breaking a pinball trance sounds like a good way to load up a save and lose all your balls asap.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

ImPureAwesome posted:

At this point, I think Steam would be cool, but do they really need another platform to break things on?

It would be nice if these 'digital preservation tables' came out for something that won't be obsolete in 5 years.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

They really shouldn't continue to do the Kickstarters. They've proven there is a market that is willing to buy the tables. They don't need tons of preorders to prove that anymore.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

I think I have all of the Marvel tables from various sale offerings and I love the World War Hulk and Infinity Gauntlet tables.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Kilometers Davis posted:

Every single day :( at this point I'm tempted to give up and start on another platform.

I'm waiting for PC...

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

That's a weird way to talk about... anything...

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Terminally Bored posted:

That's pretty far away. Wonder how come Zen Studios managed to get on Steam so quickly after TPA got greenlit.

The timing was probably a coincidence. Or Steam decided to finally greenlight TPA when they knew a their competitor would be coming out soon afterwards.

Zen made a PC version a while ago, it was a launch title for the Windows 8 Store.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Niwrad posted:

On the same topic, Pat Lawlor's 3-part interview on This Old Pinball is a must listen. He talks about how the games got too complex following Addams Family and feels that played a huge role in the downfall.
This is really cool, thanks.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Paranormal was free on 360 for a few weeks and is one of my favorite Pinball FX tables.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

ExMortis posted:

but Paranormal is my favorite Zen table even though it's eeeeeeeeeasy. It could be that they're all "this easy" and I was just able to crack it mentally because I love the theme so much, dunno. 200mil on my first PC play, #2 on day 1 leaderboard baby (I had 450mil on xbox, was way under the top then). Definitely not an example of a complex ruleset either. Jersey Devil is a stupid-rear end mode though.

Paranormal is my favorite and I also agree that it's pretty drat easy. But it just feels so good!

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Zeether posted:

Bowen just uploaded a tutorial for Banzai Run: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=owQYSjmuTFE

Really glad PAPA is still cranking these videos out, their Vimeo uploads stopped because of some bug with uploading iPhone videos or something that was never fixed and they kept hounding them about it to no avail.

Thanks for linking this.

Man, Banzai Run is such a cool lookin table.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Dre2Dee2 posted:

Looks like Adams Family will be the next KS if T2 goes through :stare:

That makes this even more tense: http://www.kicktraq.com/projects/1067367405/pinball-arcade-terminator-2-judgment-day/#chart-exp-trend

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Captain Cool posted:

How do you know they aren't going to be cheaper?

One of the devs said so on Twitter.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

FishBulb posted:

Man the T2 kickstarter is gunna flop ain't it.

It'll be super tight, either way.

http://www.kicktraq.com/projects/1067367405/pinball-arcade-terminator-2-judgment-day/#chart-exp-trend

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

frameset posted:

You have to wonder what on earth took them so long to get on PC.

I believe the entire process was some of their licensing required DRM, they didn't want to do PC DRM that wasn't Steam, but they got stuck in Steam Greenlight, and they run so lean they didn't want to devote resources to working on a Steam version until they actually knew they could get on it.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

japtor posted:

Some stuff from the T2 Kickstarter:

And from the comments:

I think this is the podcast he's referring to. Just started listening to that now, they talk about the 360 pretty early...apparently they haven't been paid for their 360 stuff due to the Crave bankruptcy and MS indie rules.

edit - Towards the end he mentions the California Extreme expo, apparently there was a Whirlwind machine there hooked up to a leaf blower, and a quick search brings up a video of it:
http://vimeo.com/70311825

They also talk about issues with their previous Kickstarters, sounds like they hired new staff just to handle the rewards and stuff this time.

And now they are flat out saying it on Kickstarter:

While we've hit our T2 goal, thanks to the overwhelming support of the pinball community, there's still time for those of you who have not pledged to get in on some great rewards while at the same time, help us to begin funding our future Kickstarter project, which we're hopeful will be The Addams Family. We are aggressively working to secure all the licenses needed to bring this widely popular table to The Pinball Arcade and with your continued support, we're optimistic that we will be able to add this holy grail of pinball to The Pinball Arcade in the near future!

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Yeah, I only ever use nudges in PFX2 for bangbacks, and if you can do that at all depends on the tables.

It's pretty easy in Clone Wars iirc. Or impossible. It's been a while.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Same Great Paste posted:

Edit : Maybe they hosed up the steam port or something, I haven't tried it and wouldn't know.

I've done bangbacks on the Steam version.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Lone Goat posted:

If people are that upset by the low scores in WOZ just have them tape this to the screen:

I accidently put this next to the ball counter and now I'm trapped in pinball hell.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

ImPureAwesome posted:

Haha does it really take a week to convert dollars to euros or whatever

Steam has release slots and they probably got told that was their next time to go up.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Jack_tripper posted:

http://store.steampowered.com/app/238260/?snr=1_7_15__13

store page is up but the play button doesn't do anything yet

You might have to restart Steam because it can be a little funny with "owning" brand new free games.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

ExMortis posted:

Since the issue (supposedly) is making GBS threads up the New Releases page with 50-100 potentially overlapping DLCs at one time, just roll them out gradually! It's so easy! I don't even work in the tech industry, hell, I'm unemployed!

The issue is probably dlc tables plus pro upgrades (dlc for dlc) and and season pack vs pro season pack. He said 'packages/combinations/upgrades.' It's not just too many dlcs, it's that the dlc scheme is too complicated to be conveyed nicely in Steam's store.

They probably should have consolidated their offering and figured out a way to get to to fit into what Steam wants. Maybe their contracts dictate how these things can be sold. Maybe they want their offerings to be the same on every platform.

I don't think what he says Steam said is false, I don't think Steam is unreasonable, but I don't think Farsight is as dumb as everyone in this thread loves to beleive.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

DrNutt posted:

The pro pricing is pretty awful anyway. Pay extra to unlock operator settings? That disable the leaderboards? I mean, I can't imagine them being that useful outside of a little novelty. If that was going to be an issue with getting their DLC on Steam they should have scrapped it.

I completely agree.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

DrNutt posted:

The other choice that you should never ever pass up is when it gives you the chance to collect your bonus. It will add up your entire end of ball bonus as it stands and cash it out for a lump sum right then and there, but the real beauty is that it keeps adding from there, so when you drain you still get your bonus plus whatever added to it in that time.

So if I were to take the Bonus wish, get say 4 million from it, and then just let the ball drain once it shoots out of the bazaar, I would get another 4 million from the real bonus?

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

DrNutt posted:

Yes, that is correct. It's really absurd when you start getting your multiplier up to twelve and all of a sudden you're earning 10 mil plus on a collect bonus wish.

Wow, yeah, that is crazy.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Does their process leave the machines unplayable from disassembly or do you think they could work with collectors?

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Nurge posted:

I have to note that you can get rid of the extra if you ever buy anything off steam again after TPA though. If you make a normal purchase on steam and choose steam wallet as the source it'll drain it and make you choose a second payment option for the portion the wallet doesn't cover.

I could also swear that there was something where if you don't have the funds and try to pay from steam wallet you can insert the exact amount required into the wallet instead of the prepacked amounts you get if you just fill it outside of a payment. I can't remember if I was dreaming though so someone else will have to confirm if that is so.

Unlike the normal Steam store, Steam Wallet has a minimum charge of $5. Probably because they don't want people buying 3 cent emotes on credit card.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

DrNutt posted:

I dunno, I think Star Trek and Pin*Bot are both far more unforgiving than TOTAN. With some practice nudging in PA makes it nearly impossible to lose balls to SDTM drains and the outlanes aren't nearly as hungry, especially with the shooting stars.

Plus it's pretty friendly with extra balls, plus you can just skip a mode you don't like, plus you lose no table progress on a drain.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Parallax Scroll posted:

Losing 12x multiplier sucks.

You gotta use it some time!

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

I'm used to Pinball FX2 and think the PBA nudging is super weak. hahaha

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

King Vidiot posted:

Maybe it's just me, but despite the ball feeling weightless and the constant kickbacks and ball saves, Pinball FX 2's tables feel a lot "harder". Like, the balls drain faster, ramps and targets are harder to hit... and all that is coupled with the fact that they don't give you the insane bonuses and ludicrously high scores of 90's-era pinball games. I can pretty regularly get 200+ million or so in Monster Bash (which is still fairly average), but I can barely break a couple of million on any given FX 2 table. Granted, I didn't play for that long, but even on my worst runs in PA I get 10+ million on the DMD tables.

PFX tables expect you to be able to play them for a long time, and expect you to focus on the missions. And many of the missions have strict shots or timing. It's pretty harsh and I don't really like them overall.

Paranormal is my favorite and I think it's mostly because the main multiball missions don't matter at all and I hardly even try to start them.