Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

So if I wanted to play some awesome pinball on my new mac book air what should I install?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

I wish Apple would approve the fix for the iPad version of Pinball Arcade already, I want some new tables to play. :(

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Daedalus1134 posted:

iOS update just went live.

"We've released the iOS update that includes Medieval Madness, Bride of Pin•Bot, the fix for the retinal display on the new iPad as well as several other improvements. Medieval Madness is completely free to play (with ad support between games) until we release the new two DLC tables."

edit:
On the iPad 3 the table list/game setup menu doesn't scale right, but it works.

Finally!I couldn't hit update/download new tables fast enough!

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Probably won't last long but I'm number 59 in medieval madness and in the top 54 on BoP right now!

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

JohnnySmitch posted:

This guy's project is what inspired me to build mine:
http://www.vpforums.org/index.php?showtopic=11708

I've built a MAME arcade cabinet before too, so I feel like there shouldn't be too much of a learning curve.

That is freaking awesome. I too have built a few MAME cabs from scratch and was looking for a new project. Oh man, really tempting.

edit: after watching the video of this one in action

http://www.vpforums.org/index.php?showtopic=9913&hl=dexllgamer

I think I'll def be building one!

mattfl fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Apr 20, 2012

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

So, I picked up the wood for my mini pin cab today! Gonna be ordering the actual system during the week. Going to go with a 23" play field with a 19" back screen. i5 2500k with a GTX460 most likely.

Following this guys build for the most part

http://www.vpforums.org/index.php?showtopic=11708

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Progress!

Got the cab built today!

23" playfield and 19" back glass have been ordered and the PC and misc buttons will be ordered during the week!

The full set of build pics are here -> http://mattfl.smugmug.com/Video-Games/Virutal-Pinball-Mini-Cab/22580614_M7B6dt

The measurements I have laid out in the first pic were too small so I basically changed all of them.

It's 33" long, 11" tall in the front, 19" tall in the back and 16" wide.

The back glass box is 21" wide and 17" tall.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Edward T. Lynch posted:

While the subject is physical pinball dives, does anyone know if there's a hidden cache of pins in the Orlando area? All my searching says no, but hopefully I missed something. I'm aware of DisneyQuest, but paying $40 bucks to get in that ridiculous place is not my idea of fun.

Being such a tourist destination city, it blows my mind that someone hasn't opened a place here like the one in Greensboro.

I'm in Daytona if you find any place let me know! I think there's still a few arcades on the beach that have a few pinball machines, but I haven't been down there forever. That's why I'm building my own virtual pin :)

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Virtual PIn Cab Update time!

So we've got the cabinet built as seen here

http://mattfl.smugmug.com/Video-Games/Virutal-Pinball-Mini-Cab/i-QfHF4ZW/0/L/IMG0152-L.jpg

And this past week all the pc pieces came in as well as both monitors.

Soooooo, after a few hours of work we now have this!

http://mattfl.smugmug.com/Video-Games/Virutal-Pinball-Mini-Cab/i-jdqvwmG/0/X3/IMG0161-X3.jpg

That would be the 23" monitor setup as it's going to be put in the cab as well as the 19" back glass monitor also setup. I've taken over my kitchen table for the time being to get the pc and software setup before I move it into the cab.

So what I have here is HyperPin frontend with Visual Pinball running the tables. I haven't gotten to Future PInball yet.

It took me a few hours to figure out the hyper pin + visual pin combo. To get the table looking right, the right back glass up and the dmd in place on each table. I've got it down pretty good now and can have a table installed and working in about 5 minutes now. 22 tables installed so far and I'll probably have over 50 by the time I'm done.

Here's a pic of a table actually running

http://mattfl.smugmug.com/Video-Games/Virutal-Pinball-Mini-Cab/i-6Rb88gL/0/X3/IMG0169-X3.jpg

Here's the whole gallery with more pics of the cabinet and pics of hyperpin/tables

http://mattfl.smugmug.com/Video-Games/Virutal-Pinball-Mini-Cab/22580614_M7B6dt

I'll be ordering the actual flippers/buttons/ipac this week.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Congrats man! You're living the mini-table dream now!

There could definitely be a market out there fir mini-table kits. Virtuapin is just about the only company out there selling full-size kits, because most people can't afford them. But a table top pinball setup, a lot of people could afford. You could have a business on your hands there!

Ya I have a feeling I'm gonna have a couple requests to build one once I show it to everyone. It'd be killer if I could finance the build of a full size cab with a few of these guys selling. :)

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

jabro posted:

If I may ask how much was your cost on that? With and without computer hardware.

Well the only thing I've got so far besides the computer hardware was the piece of 3/4" MDF I built it out of and that ran me about $30.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Wow ok you guys really got me thinking I could actually make a little bit of cash selling these things. I should have this one done in a week or two and then I'll sit down and figure out what a good price would be to sell them for. I'll keep the thread updated on my progress of course.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Incase you guys haven't seen hyperpin in action I took a little video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CmMwIIQpfpM

I thought I had the flyers setup right but apparently not as the 2 times I try and load them up that error pops up. Otherwise, today I'm working on laying the monitors out in the cab itself and tomorrow I'll order the iPac and the buttons and hopefully have the cab mostly together this weekend!

You guys will be the first to know when I start selling kits :)

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

JohnnySmitch posted:

Looking really good so far! I'm still accumulating parts for mine - what kind system did you put together for yours (processor, amount of ram); it looks like you've got it running really smooth. Also, are you gonna have nudge controls? How many buttons are you going to run (I'm still figuring out how many I'll really need for typical play - I want to hide a mini keyboard and wireless mouse in a drawer or something for admin-type stuff)?

I built a i5 2500k system that's currently running at 4GHz. GTX 460 video card and 8 gigs of ram running win7. I've read people had issues with 7 but I've yet to see any problems.

Nudge controls yes. Plan on ordering a few mercury switches to wire into the iPac.

Buttons, I plan on ordering this pack from virtuapin.net

http://virtuapin.net/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=3&products_id=38

Figure there should be enough in there. I'll probably throw a wireless keyboard/mouse in there too just like you plan on doing.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Are you not going to use the digital plunger and nudge kit from Nanotech?

I wanted to but the virtual pin store is out of them and I've heard ordering directly from nanotech results in waiting months for them to finally ship.

mattfl fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Apr 29, 2012

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

elf help book posted:

What would those big rectangular buttons be used for on a pinball table?

Some people use them for like bringing up the flyer/instruction sheet in hyperpin, different things. I still have to figure out exactly how many buttons I need, but I figured ordering that kit would get me more than enough.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

JohnnySmitch posted:

I've read a lot about people getting frustrated with calibrating their mercury switches as well as the nanotech controller, so I got a Microsoft Sidewinder Freestyle usb gamepad to tear into for my nudge control. It's a tilt/motion controller that people seem to be pretty happy with using in their cabs for nudging - nice and cheap on ebay too.

I will have to look into that. Thanks!

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

If you're still interested in the Nanotech plunger and nudge kit, the Virtuapin guy just posted today that they'll be getting more in this week.

Ya I saw that! I'm gonna msg him and see if I can get one asap.

edit: contacted the guy Noah, according to his tracking he's getting them today and I already told him I'll be ordering one. So, looks like I'll have a sweet digital plunger in my cab!

mattfl fucked around with this message at 12:55 on May 1, 2012

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Test fitting placement/mounting for monitors!

Buttons and digital plunger kit should be in this week!

I'll also be ordering a custom sized lock down bar which I should have next week.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

metallicaeg posted:

Would ventilation be a problem with that bottom screen laying on the wood?

The way the back of the monitor is the vents for the monitor are actually on the bottom, like where you'd plug in the power/video cables if that makes sense. The back of the monitor itself is solid plastic so sitting on the wood isn't much different. I plan on having a few fan on the back part of the actual cabinet for ventilation.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Yay buttons!

Also digital plunger!

Hopefully get all this installed into the cab this weekend.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

One more picture for today :)

Buttons/Plunger installed

Had to go a little lower on the plunger than I would have liked, but any higher and it would have been hitting the monitor. Still deciding if I want to put the Launch Ball button above it.

Tomorrow it gets painted a satin black and I'm going to try and wire up everything.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

That is the mutts nuts!

Are you planning on making your own custom graphics when it comes to that point?

Eventually yeah, or get someone to do it for me since I have 0 artistic talent! For now, a satin black paint job will be applied.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

So uh, I kinda got everything wired up and everything amazingly worked the first time I hit the power button!

Tight fit inside the cab

This doesn't show the button wiring, I'll take another shot of that tomorrow.

In all its glory!

Still need to do

-playfield and backbox plexiglass coverings. Hopefully get that done this week.
-legs. ordering on monday
-artwork for cabinet, the black is ok as a temporary solution, but I'll be getting some vinyl artwork done for the whole thing.
-wire up the front buttons so the lights inside of them actually work. Tomorrow.

That's pretty much it as far as general playability goes. I mean, you can play it now and it's loving awesome. The speakers are setting behind the top monitor and there's a small sub inside the cab itself and it loving rocks.

I'll take some video of it tomorrow if anyone wants to see it in action! :)

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

FishBulb posted:

So how much did all that cost you because now I want to do a project....

Also how does it work for nudging? you might have mentioned that I'm not sure.

I haven't done a hard total yet, but if I had to estimate including the cost of the computer and 2 monitors, under a grand. Maybe under $750 if you got the monitors used.

Nudging is controlled by the pcboard that the digital plunger came with. It's used an accelerometer built onto the pcb to detect that. That was probably the other most expensive part of the build. The mot ion adapter digital plunger kit. I bought mine from virtuapin.net

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

No plexi man, you have to use real glass. Plexi will discolor over time, and is always prone to scratches. Such a large piece laying horizontally will also likely sag in the middle over time as well.

Hmmm. I will have to check out how much it will cost to get a custom size piece of glass cut, but good points on the plexi.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

DrNutt posted:

What you're going to need is transparent aluminum.

Lol. I checked the price for custom cut pieces of glass and they aren't too bad. Looks like I can get away with being under $50 for both pieces. Looks like another order is in place for tomorrow!

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

I don't suppose there's any artists in this thread that would like to help come up with the artwork for my pin are there? My art skills are somewhere between none existent and I can make a stick figure!

Ordered my legs today too! Woooo more parts!

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Ok, so here's a quick video of power up, loading of hyperpin and then a quick load of a table, with bonus girlfriend hiding behind the back box.

http://youtu.be/ix-tG651mZE?hd=1

Should give you a pretty good idea of how the whole thing works.

The buttons you see on the front aren't as bright as they look in the video. The big round one above the plunger says Launch Ball and the one on the left says Start, camera washed them out so you can see that.

Two buttons in the middle are for as yet undefined and the other one brings up the menu in hyperpin.

The plunger works great on games that support it, obviously not all games use the plunger.

Ordered the legs today and will place the order for the playfield and back box glass tomorrow. Other than that, it's essentially done, unless something comes up I want to add to it.

51 tables on there so far, and there's probably another 50+ I will/could add. I've got a wireless keyboard/mouse incase I ever need it and I've got teamviewer installed on it for remotely accessing it.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Convexed posted:

I'm sorry if this has already been asked, but I wondered if there were specifically any Windows games that allow pinball to be played in portrait mode? I have a 1920 x 1080 monitor that pivots, and it got to thinking how drat sweet it would be to play a pinball game!

Virtual pinball def supports this. You just need to download the right version of the tables.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

FishBulb posted:

I tried playing Visual Pinball on my PC and it looks like poo poo and runs like rear end so I don't see much reason for Farsight to be worried.

On the subject of Twilight Zone etc... I just can't believe the Twilight Zone license would be that expensive. Show hasn't been on in like 60 years, all the remakes of it are terrible, the movie was a huge disaster. I wouldn't think that license would be very expensive at all at this point. Media companies are so loving greedy.

What kind of PC do you have? Visual pinball actually requires a pretty hefty cpu/gpu combo.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Cartoon Man posted:

Cirqus Voltair owns. Its like a sequel to Theatre of Magic. If I were to get a real life table, this would be in the running, though I shudder to think of what maintenance on it would be.

It's an awesome table. However on my would own tables Big Bang Bar is higher on the list. After playing it on my cabinet for a few hours I love it. I guess it's a pretty limited produced table though and is pretty pricey so my cab will have to suffice for now.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

It's finished! Well except for adding more tables, but finished none the less!

I had it setup in the garage but decided I wanted it in my game room upstairs so my brother came over and helped me drag it upstairs. What a night and day difference in viewing quality. It looks loving amazing inside!

I'm uploading some video of it now and will post it in a few minutes.

All told I probably have under $750 in this. I picked up the wood for the project on April 21st so it took me almost a month to get it all done. I am extremely happy with how it turned out. If/when I build another one I'll probably do a few things differently but for a first build I really couldn't be happier. If anyone has any specific questions or anything just let me know!

edit:

Videos - Make sure you watch in 1080P and larger video window size(Anyone know howto make it default to both?)

First one is just a quick video showing the power up and loading of the Hyperpin frontend.

http://youtu.be/aja7Oyq5OA4?hd=1

This one is of the front end and a quick look 2 tables. If you watch through to when I load up Line Drive you can see the B2S background in action. Some tables have active backgrounds and Line Drive gives a good demo of it.

http://youtu.be/aaF9iCXbzrk?hd=1

mattfl fucked around with this message at 22:39 on May 20, 2012

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

JohnnySmitch posted:

Wow, it looks like it turned out awesome!
Just out of curiosity, what would/will you do different? My own mini virtual pin project is on hold for a bit due to some unforeseen extra expenses on some house renovations, but I'd love any pointers you could throw my way that you've gleaned from putting yours together. Also, does your plunger work well? I've read some mixed reviews on it/calibration issues?

Plunger works great. I'm using the nanotech digital plunger kit.

As far as things I'd do differently.

Use different wood, I used MDF and it's probably heavier than it needs to be. Maybe a nicer plywood next time.

Have everything ordered and ready before I start building. It was kinda a PITA waiting for parts/pieces to come in and why it took as long as it did to finish it.

Nothing really major, I am extremely happy with how it turned out and there isn't all that much I'd change.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Robnoxious posted:

Awesome sauce mattfl!

My buddy and I are getting envious and are looking to reconjigger the MAME cab he and I have made to turn into a Hyperpin.

Thanks! I used to have a MAME cab too, built it about 5 years ago. Thought has crossed my mind to build another one. ;)

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Boxman posted:

Does anyone remember a pool themed table that literally had a cue ball under the glass? Or am I making things up.

No idea who made it or when, I just remember it from my childhood. I was born in the mid 80s, which may narrow it down.

Breakshot by Capcom made in 96. Love playing it on my cabinet!

edit:

damnit yeah I was wrong it is cue ball wizard. My bad :(

mattfl fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Jun 1, 2012

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Damo posted:

Why is there not some rich person out the who loves pinball and video games for whom 50k is a drop in the bucket?

I would totally give 50k if I was rich. Damnit I needs me some star trek tng. I honestly doubt they will be able to double their fund before the end of the kick starter so I'm not holding my breath :(

At least twilight zone is almost a sure thing.

Because if I was a rich person I would already own the actual tables!

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Ok, now I'm going to have to go install this one on my cabinet to check it out.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Just lost the SSD in my cab. :( Did everything possible to try and get it to work with no luck. Stupid amount of hours getting everything configured and 75+ tables installed lost with no backup. :( That'll teach me I guess. Ah well, I'll order a new better SSD tomorrow and do it all over again. Just sucks it happened.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Dre2Dee2 posted:

Microsoft is pretty awful about updates, and I'm surprised they even have this game on XBLA considering how often they want to push out DLC.

Thankfully I have the ipad version and don't need to muck about with PSN/XBL :shobon:

In a more table related note, I've gotten way better at Medieval Madness. I was pretty much just spamming the flippers before, but now I definitely do slow down the ball sometimes to get good shots on the ramps. Also have gotten way better at handling multiple balls without having them all drain out in five seconds. My best high score on it is 85 million right now, but I think can definitely reach 100

There's a spot where you can hold the ball on the right flipper and hit the castle every time. If you hold the ball in the right flipper and slowly let the ball fall, half an inch or so and hit it and you'll smack the castle every time. I can usually blow the castle up 3 or 4 times during a game now pretty consistently.