Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JohnnySmitch
Oct 20, 2004

Don't touch me there - Noone has that right.
I'm in - Sensible Rope

I never checked out Pinball FX 1 because of the mixed reviews (and I didn't even find out about it until around the same time I bought the Williams Collection for the second time - once for the Wii, then again for the 360). I'm absolutely loving FX2 though. So far I've purchased the fx2 core pack and Excalibur - I'm sure I'll end up with all of them eventually, but which other tables are most highly recommended? I hear that the fx1 core pack isn't that great compared to the new tables - what about the other DLC ones?

On another note, has there been any word on any more Pinball Hall of Fame games any time soon? The Williams Collection is almost perfect in my book, and after playing the PS2 version, I wouldn't mind them bringing the Goetlib collection to 360 also...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JohnnySmitch
Oct 20, 2004

Just added everyone in the OP to my friends list - I look forward to seeing how bad I rank among everyone once I get home today and maybe finally get the dashboard update to take.

JohnnySmitch
Oct 20, 2004

I just downloaded the street fighter 2 table, and despite not knowing what the hell I was doing, proceeded to activate multiball, keep it going for what seemed like days, get the 1st and 3rd achievements, and rocket to the top of my friends list leaderboard. I still don't really know how most of the table works, but I gotta say I think I like it.

JohnnySmitch
Oct 20, 2004

Tasteful Bulge posted:

On the subject of FX, I hate the Excalibur table. Yet I'm also very obsessed with it. Because of how I'm conditioned, I won't finish a round of pinball unless my first ball reaches a certain self-imposed score (On Excalibur, it's ~9mil).

That's a pretty harsh strategy - some of my best scores have been on my last ball after completely sucking with the first one or two.

JohnnySmitch
Oct 20, 2004

^ I never bought FX1, but supposedly they improved the overall physics for all the tables. Also, the new FX2 tables have way more to do than the original ones - though I'm enjoying a few of the originals quite a bit too - they seem to be a little less distracting than all the flashiness of the new ones.

JohnnySmitch
Oct 20, 2004

I haven't decided yet if it's a sad thing or not, but the Marvel tables (and Mars and Paranormal) are seriously my most-looked-forward-to things on the 360 in the foreseeable future.

JohnnySmitch
Oct 20, 2004

Man, gently caress Rome. I can consistently get to ~ 9mil, but I can't get to 10 for the life of me. I can beat mock warfare every time, I've beaten the Northern and Coastal garrisons repeatedly, and I've even gotten to the point that I can score the hurry up bonus from the center hole at least half the time. But whenever I get over 9mil something cheap always happens like a random ricochet into an outlane or the loving ball will get almost all the way up one of the ramps then blast back down perfectly centered between the flippers. gently caress Rome.

JohnnySmitch
Oct 20, 2004

Major Nelson's Blog posted:

Xbox Game Add-Ons:

December 8: Pinball FX 2: Marvel Comic Table Pack, 800 Microsoft Points

http://majornelson.com/archive/2010/12/02/coming-soon-to-the-xbox-live-marketplace-2-dec.aspx

So loving stoked.

JohnnySmitch
Oct 20, 2004

I would guess that one of the next ones they're releasing is "Paranormal", which is apparently already out on the PS3 version.

JohnnySmitch
Oct 20, 2004

I just stumbled onto this:

http://technabob.com/blog/2011/12/19/giant-pinball-projection-mapping/

It's a pinball game projected onto a building, using the features of the building as bumpers and stuff.

JohnnySmitch
Oct 20, 2004

Thanks to Pinball Arcade I'm now seriously considering building a visual pinball cabinet. drat you, Pinball Arcade. drat you.

JohnnySmitch
Oct 20, 2004

Well, thanks to some impulsive purchasing, I've officially began gathering materials to build a mini tabletop digital pinball machine; just ordered a playfield monitor.

JohnnySmitch
Oct 20, 2004

Yodzilla posted:

Oh nice! Is there a specific guide you're following to build that?

This guy's project is what inspired me to build mine:
http://www.vpforums.org/index.php?showtopic=11708

I've built a MAME arcade cabinet before too, so I feel like there shouldn't be too much of a learning curve.

JohnnySmitch
Oct 20, 2004

mattfl posted:

Incase you guys haven't seen hyperpin in action I took a little video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CmMwIIQpfpM

I thought I had the flyers setup right but apparently not as the 2 times I try and load them up that error pops up. Otherwise, today I'm working on laying the monitors out in the cab itself and tomorrow I'll order the iPac and the buttons and hopefully have the cab mostly together this weekend!

You guys will be the first to know when I start selling kits :)

Looking really good so far! I'm still accumulating parts for mine - what kind system did you put together for yours (processor, amount of ram); it looks like you've got it running really smooth. Also, are you gonna have nudge controls? How many buttons are you going to run (I'm still figuring out how many I'll really need for typical play - I want to hide a mini keyboard and wireless mouse in a drawer or something for admin-type stuff)?

JohnnySmitch
Oct 20, 2004

mattfl posted:

I built a i5 2500k system that's currently running at 4GHz. GTX 460 video card and 8 gigs of ram running win7. I've read people had issues with 7 but I've yet to see any problems.

Nudge controls yes. Plan on ordering a few mercury switches to wire into the iPac.

Buttons, I plan on ordering this pack from virtuapin.net

http://virtuapin.net/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=3&products_id=38

Figure there should be enough in there. I'll probably throw a wireless keyboard/mouse in there too just like you plan on doing.

I've read a lot about people getting frustrated with calibrating their mercury switches as well as the nanotech controller, so I got a Microsoft Sidewinder Freestyle usb gamepad to tear into for my nudge control. It's a tilt/motion controller that people seem to be pretty happy with using in their cabs for nudging - nice and cheap on ebay too.

JohnnySmitch
Oct 20, 2004

mattfl posted:

All told I probably have under $750 in this. I picked up the wood for the project on April 21st so it took me almost a month to get it all done. I am extremely happy with how it turned out. If/when I build another one I'll probably do a few things differently but for a first build I really couldn't be happier. If anyone has any specific questions or anything just let me know!

Wow, it looks like it turned out awesome!
Just out of curiosity, what would/will you do different? My own mini virtual pin project is on hold for a bit due to some unforeseen extra expenses on some house renovations, but I'd love any pointers you could throw my way that you've gleaned from putting yours together. Also, does your plunger work well? I've read some mixed reviews on it/calibration issues?

JohnnySmitch
Oct 20, 2004

I'm sure it costs them a ton to do custom tooled figures at the super low quantities they need for new pinball machines; I don't think they could justify it too much on such a small market.

I'm pretty sure the Shrek pinball table that came out several years back used Happy Meal toys.

JohnnySmitch
Oct 20, 2004

Looks like I'm gonna be in New York for a day this weekend for work - gonna check out Modern Pinball while I'm there. Anything I should know about the place?

JohnnySmitch
Oct 20, 2004

Trip report:

I got a chance to check out Modern Pinball NYC on Sunday morning while I was in town for work. Myself and 3 of my coworkers got in on a groupon deal for 4 all-day passes for only $35 total. We ended up playing there for around 3 hours, and it was glorious.

They had 32 machines, and they were all in terrific shape. Highlights for me included a perfect condition Cactus Canyon, a Theater of Magic in amazing shape, and fully restored Twilight Zone and Funhouse tables (both all decked out with LED lighting). There were a good half-dozen or so machines that had been updated with LED lighting and fresh rubber and everything, and they had a guy on location the whole time to fix anything that broke on the machines.

The only thing that kind of sucked was that a whole pile (a good 20 or so) of small kids came in with their parents about a half hour into our session, and were there for about 2 hours playing. I'm all for introducing kids to the wonders of pinball, but most of them were just beating the poo poo out of the machines and mashing the credit buttons to start 4 player games, just to walk away after a ball or two (which meant I had to sit there and drain a dozen or so balls just to start a game of my own). It seemed like their parents saw a photo of a little kid playing pinball on pinterest or something and just HAD to take all of their kids in and do the same.

That said, the place it totally worth checking out if you get a chance. I'm still on the fence on if it's my favorite place I've played - I think that title might still go to Headquarters in Chicago, primarily for the delicious beers while playing, along with the beautiful updated Medieval Madness, and premium editions of AC/DC and Metallica.

JohnnySmitch
Oct 20, 2004

Clouseau posted:

A huge pinball project I've been working on for a while officially launched yesterday. I've been working with the guy who runs Pinball NYC to bring his style of league play to Chicago. Our first season begins at the end of the month, and I'm quite excited for it. If you are in or know anyone who'd be interested in Chicago, check this out. It's designed for players of all skill levels, so you don't have to be great.

This is awesome! The pin finder on the site is great too - I've been hunting for a Circus Voltaire in the wild for ages, and I'll be damned if they don't have one at the bar I practically lived at while I lived in Greektown in college! I wouldn't have even thought to check if it wasn't for your site - thanks!

JohnnySmitch
Oct 20, 2004

Just finished slapping together a controller for TPA to hold me over until I build a full [mini] cabinet, which probably won't be until Farsight releases a working cabinet mode...

Loving it so far - I just gotta figure out why my plunger and right flipper buttons are sticking every once in awhile...

JohnnySmitch
Oct 20, 2004

The other benefit to getting the PC version (besides portrait mode, which is awesome) is that you can pretty easily make a controller with real side pinball buttons (excuse the lovely blurry photo):

JohnnySmitch
Oct 20, 2004

Me and a group of friends at work have been getting into pinball a lot lately (thanks to all the Chicago barcades that have been popping up), and we've done a few mini tournaments among us. I have access to a 3d printer, so I've made trophies for a few of them, and thought I'd share:

^ The last one is my favorite by far; I went all out and incorporated sound and lights into it - the right flipper button activates 2 pulsing RGB LEDs, and the left one plays a sound clip:

http://youtu.be/UW2QdH94oAA

JohnnySmitch
Oct 20, 2004

802.11weed posted:

Hot drat those are neat. How big are they? I can totally see myself buying one to put on my desk.

They vary in size a lot, and the biggest one is only about 5" tall (a little under 5" long front to back):

JohnnySmitch
Oct 20, 2004

http://www.pinballchicago.org has a great list

headquarters beercade has a great (free) selection, and Logan Arcade is supposed to be pretty great too

JohnnySmitch
Oct 20, 2004

Since my pinball machine trophies from way back were a hit here, I thought I'd share my latest model:

It's laser cut acrylic (made @ Ponoko.com), about 2.5" wide x 3.5" long x just under 4.5" tall.

The pieces slot together like a puzzle and glue up nicely - I'm planning on making some labels for the sides/backbox/playfield, maybe even throwing some LEDs in there somewhere.

If anyone wants one, I put the plans up on my Ponoko shop page; you can buy/download the plans there and order the pieces cut in any of the 3mm materials they carry (they've got a bunch of colored acrylic too, along with mirrored). It comes in a sheet like this:

FYI - I'd already peeled the paper off the pieces in this photo.

Here's my Ponoko page if you're into that sort of thing:
http://www.ponoko.com/build-your-own/furniture/acrylic-pinball-table-model-eps-pattern-11952

If anyone really wanted, I could adapt this pattern to larger scales too...

JohnnySmitch
Oct 20, 2004

Tony Phillips posted:

Very cool - liked the ones you posted previously as well.

Small favor - can you tell us what they charge for the final cut sheet? I don't see a way of telling how much it would cost to order without buying the plans first. (No issue there - you deserve a bit for the design as far as I care.) But I'd like to know how much it would be total if you can say.

Whoops - sorry about that;
At the current size and material, it cost me $13.73 ($5 for the material, $8.73 for the actual laser cutting).

JohnnySmitch
Oct 20, 2004

After showing off TPA at work, I managed to secure a donation computer and 40" tv, along with a gutted widebody cab and small budget to put together a digital pin for the office. Gotta stick with single screen and TPA instead of full blown visual/future pinball, but I'm really stoked regardless. Now I just need to figure out some cool cabinet and backglass art!

JohnnySmitch fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Dec 29, 2014

JohnnySmitch
Oct 20, 2004

I know there's no cabinet mode yet (and I'm sure there wont be for quite awhile), but it actually plays pretty great as is just using the top-down-most camera view.

JohnnySmitch
Oct 20, 2004

Galaga Galaxian posted:

I haven't been paying attention the last couple months. Has the DX11 patch for Pinball Arcade come out for PC yet?

nope - allegedly it's gonna come out with the next table in a week or two

JohnnySmitch
Oct 20, 2004

I finally got around to finishing that Pinball Arcade cabinet at work I mentioned awhile back!

It's built around an older work PC and a 50" lcd that were both donated by our IT department (they were gonna be sold/recycled if I didn't ask for them), and an old Paragon widebody cabinet that was donated for the project by a coworker. I've got it set up so that you can navigate pretty much with just the buttons (I wired up the start and coin return buttons to enter and esc respectively), but I mounted a trackpad under the plunger button just in case too. Even without a legit cabinet mode, PBA plays pretty great on it - can't wait for the dx11 update!

JohnnySmitch
Oct 20, 2004

Niwrad posted:

Wow, that looks great. So is this just sitting in the office and anyone can stop in and play? How is the delay on hitting the flippers with a virtual cabinet?

Yeah we've got a small 'game room' area in our office with a ping pong table and a foosball table - the pinball machine lives there now. There is a tiny bit of lag between the buttons and the flippers, but everyone pretty much seems to get used to it within a ball or two then don't even notice it.

JohnnySmitch
Oct 20, 2004

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Four Weeks Later...

So how about that DX11 update? Still a week or two? :v:

that WAS the story. At least there's been a little DX11 action - according to the pinball arcade forums it's currently being beta tested. The testers aren't allowed to share much about it, but do far the word is that it's pretty good. Maybe it'll be out with the next update [probably not tho]

JohnnySmitch
Oct 20, 2004

prefect posted:

"Controls" on the Mac version tells you what the controls are, but you can't change a thing.

One thing I really like about the Mac version, though, is that the plunger pulls very slowly, so it's much better for trying ridiculous skill shots like the one for Cyclone. (:argh: It still took me way too long to get that.)

I thought this too on the PC version because you can't click on the bindings to change them, You should be able to arrow key through them and hit enter to change them though. Typical Farsight terrible UI.

JohnnySmitch
Oct 20, 2004

DevCore posted:

I tried DX11 on two tables (JackBot and Highspeed) and they both looked pretty washed out and bland compared DX10.

Maybe there's setting I'm missing?

I wish these looked as good as the ProPinball tables, but then again, even with 2 season on my phone, TPA takes up 1/10th the storage space as ProPinball with one table.

Did you adjust the Room/Bulb brightness settings at all? By default, they're both set to 50%, which does look pretty washed out. I find the tables look best at around 5-10% room brightness, and up around 100% bulb brightness.

I hope they tweak the ball brightness/reflectivity for the official release though - right now it looks really dull and dark.

JohnnySmitch
Oct 20, 2004

Awesome work - that looks amazing!

JohnnySmitch
Oct 20, 2004

Kind of a random question... I build a digital pinball machine for the break room at my office (fullsize cabinet with a flatscreen under the glass) running Pinball Arcade - is there any way to keep Steam in offline mode without the startup nag message about being in offline mode? I don't want people at work digging around my Steam account and screwing things up, and I'd like the machine to boot straight into PBA as simply as possible...

JohnnySmitch
Oct 20, 2004

Pinball FX3 is having a big sale on Steam right now (looks like everything is 40-60% off) until the 30th.

Any must-haves? Right now all I have are the Core Collection, Zen Originals Season 2 bundle, Portal, Iron & Steel, and Carnivals and Legends.

JohnnySmitch
Oct 20, 2004

Thought I’d share my latest project here - I designed and built myself a wall-mounted, flat-folding vpin. I was the only way I could realistically fit a pin in my house. The hinge works by a cantilever design; you swing it up and push it towards the wall to set it up - the playfield then rests in notches where the weight of the playfield keeps it locked in. To fold it back down, you lift and pull the playfield toward you to put it back in the tracks and bring it down. The computer and mess of wires below is temporary - I’m getting a mini pc to mount underneath soon.
https://i.imgur.com/3jG9VlC.mp4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JohnnySmitch
Oct 20, 2004

Inferior Third Season posted:

Do you have accelerometers for nudging?

I do! I used the Microsoft Sidewinder hack for analog nudging, and it was really surprisingly close to plug-and-play