Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Billy Gnosis
May 18, 2006

Now is the time for us to gather together and celebrate those things that we like and think are fun.
For some reason the new pinball fx2 tables reminded me of Extreme Pinball for the PC, but after re-looking it up, I don't think it actually has the "doesn't work in real life" things in it.

I guess i'll throw my GT in as well: Backlash Jack

Also are any of the premium FX1 tables worth it (not counting SF2 and Rocky and Bullwinkle) when compared to FX2 stuff?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Billy Gnosis
May 18, 2006

Now is the time for us to gather together and celebrate those things that we like and think are fun.

petewhitley posted:

Excalibur is very good. It's crazy exciting when you start to siege the castle and hurdle flaming balls towards it.

Thanks for the recommendation, man its nuts when the siege begins.

Stealthed Zombie posted:

I will come back and triumph on Excalibur. Just not this evening. Cracked 20mil on ball 3 and then lost it. Wrist hurts. You will fall.

Sorry, the score to beat is now 33 mil. Nearly a quarter of the way there to the wizard robes.

Also, I really don't think nightmare mansion is really worth it. I got it because of Halloween and all. But, now with the added insanity of all the fx2 tables, it really feels boring,

Billy Gnosis
May 18, 2006

Stealthed Zombie posted:

NOOOOO, now I have to play that table EVEN HARDER!

I'm starting to come around on Pasha, after figuring out the multiball, grabbing a bunch of treasures, and then burying the treasures and you get TEN MILLION!

I like that table, but I can't seem to even come close to consistently hitting any of the shots that require the side flippers, its very frustrating. I don't think Ive ever activated a "story" on the table because of it. Also, I always come so close, but can never beat the mini-table with the guards.

Billy Gnosis
May 18, 2006

iastudent posted:

Guess who's first on their friends list with 48.8mil on the Street Fighter II table? :smug:

Can you decode what each of the symbols mean on the character's "combos"? It bugs me that it isn't explained anywhere, though I think I know most of them from just playing it and trying to pay attention.

Billy Gnosis
May 18, 2006

Stealthed Zombie posted:

Does anyone who has a good handle on some of the tables want to start writing some guides/what the gently caress you should be aiming for? It's fun to slowly figure things out on some tables, but on other tables some things can just be boggling.

If any of you new to the thread people want to add me I'm Spatula King, I'm already in the list, but I'm not near my 360 at the moment to add anyone. I think I'm at 25k wizard points so the more friends the merrier!

(I'm looking at you Billy Gnosis/Backlash Jack, you have crazy scores!)

Completing any "mode" seems to net you a ton of points pretty much across all tables. Being able to make the shots required somewhat consistently helps TONS

Billy Gnosis
May 18, 2006

WhiteHowler posted:

Even with the table rulesheet, I still don't understand some of the table elements on Secrets of the Deep.

How does the crane work? What am I supposed to do with it? It seems like I grab the ball and then within half a second I have "failed" the mode.

Also, I'm not sure what to do in the Hungry Morays or Save the Turtles video modes. Do I just avoid the eels? I've never gotten across. And Save the Turtles says to hit the lit shot, but at any given time there are half a dozen things lit or flashing.

I want to like the table but I generally have no idea what's happening.

I've never completed the crane, but the general idea is that you need to drop the ball on the flashing target (and you don't have much of a chance) . I believe in Hungry Moray's you need to hit the flipper when the sub is in the "middle" in the video mode so it passes through without getting attacked. Save the Turtles is indeed hit the flashing shot, its probably always an orbit or a ramp. It was through the middle for me once (where the spinner is) and the right orbit another time. I haven't played that table much since I somehow managed to get a really high score the 1st or 2nd time I played it.

Billy Gnosis
May 18, 2006

Desdinova posted:

On Rome, the skillshot is worth a nifty 1 million. Launch the ball at full power with A, then use the upper flipper on the left to fire the ball into the head (that you normally use to select a mission). Haven't picked any other tips yet.

Added everyone on this thread, but not got many accepts :( I had a wash today guys, I swear. Don't cast me out!

I've never made that shot (is there some sort of trick?). If you are really good at it, you should be able to destroy the "Romulus" multiball. Its my understanding that the jackpot for that is gotten by making that shot and it starts at 100 Mil and counts down.

Billy Gnosis
May 18, 2006

Sizone posted:

Again, hold the right flipper up while you make the shot from the left side 2nd tier flipper (preferably with some inertia going from having done the spinner orbit). The 2nd tier right side flipper is basically blocking the lane. Note, holding the right flipper up also lets you activate the frenzy mode for the Bucanneer table, seems to be a trick that Zen likes to put in their tables.

Thanks to this, I now have a high score of 93 Mil on Pasha. Wooo

Billy Gnosis
May 18, 2006

Zero Karizma posted:

hahahaha it REALLY is. Why are we all trying so hard for this again?

Its hard to tell how ugly it is when you are deaf dumb and blind.

Billy Gnosis
May 18, 2006

Well, I just got Earth Defense, and it might be up there as one of my favorites. Also, I somehow got 150mil on it, which doesn't hurt. Inching ever so close to the robe.

(Also it caused me to reclaim my title as pinball king. Suck it people on my friends list).

Billy Gnosis fucked around with this message at 05:44 on Nov 7, 2010

Billy Gnosis
May 18, 2006

snackmar posted:

Holy crap, we're getting *four* Marvel tables: http://kotaku.com/5690249/marvel-pinball-from-comics-page-to-silver-ball

The Blade table is the closest he's going to get to a video game now isn't it.

Billy Gnosis
May 18, 2006

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Is there no skill shot for Rome?

Its just really hard to hit. You have to hit it into the statue head from the upper left flipper.

Billy Gnosis
May 18, 2006

I didn't see it mentoned in the thread but I guess http://www.marvelpinball.com/ has a poll about who will be the next marvel pinball character. Captain America, Hulk, Fantastic Four, and Ghost Rider. So I guess even more tables in the future.

Billy Gnosis
May 18, 2006

Tasteful Bulge posted:

How the hell is Ghost Rider leading?

Because, baby, baby, baby he's a blazin' away
Like the stars, stars, stars in the universe

Billy Gnosis
May 18, 2006

Tasteful Bulge posted:

Okay, I'm currently #1 on my friends list for Excalibur, with a score of 55+ million. I hope nobody beats my score because I REALLY don't want to play that table again anytime soon. I could seriously write a short novel about everything wrong with that table.

If many of the "Knight" goals were a tad more forgiving and if the horizontal ramp was a bit easier to hit, I'd consider at least a fun table. As it stands now, I still would put it ahead of the haunted mansion one (just because I find it boring more than actually bad), and all 4 of the FX1 "regular" tables. Its probably worse than the Earth Defense one, which I really like, but seems to have a few odd choices in its design as well.

Rome is probably significantly more frustrating. I can't play that one anymore

Billy Gnosis fucked around with this message at 05:58 on Dec 8, 2010

Billy Gnosis
May 18, 2006

Its too early to give my first impressions (besides finding Spider-Man and Wolverine easier to understand than Iron Man and Blade). But, I really find the color scheme of the Iron Man table to be distracting / blinding. I constantly lose the ball (Maybe its only really bad with the camera angle I was using).

Billy Gnosis
May 18, 2006

SuperLobster posted:

Blade is definitely my least favorite. I am having a harder time grasping what I should be doing with that one than the other 3. I like how there is a day/night cycle, but the night is WAY too dark and even more confusing.

The only complaint I have about the entire game is I want to keep looking at the little digital display on the top left when cool animations pop up, but whenever I do I usually drop the ball. Which is a microscopic nit-pick. That is, until it is giving me directions and I can't read what I am supposed to do so I just keep aiming at flashing ramps/etc.

Night during multi-ball is even worse, its really hard to see anything/attempt to line up any shots; though I play on a small TV (I normally view 4 pretty much on all tables). I lasted quite awhile some how but I was mainly just flailing with the flippers.

Billy Gnosis
May 18, 2006

Even after playing the table multiple times and reading the rule sheet, I'm confused. What are the saucers in the wolverine table?

Edit: Ok , nevermind figured it out. The rule sheet I think also calls them scoops and something else.

Billy Gnosis fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Dec 10, 2010

Billy Gnosis
May 18, 2006

ixnay posted:

3 more Pinball FX 2 achievements just got added to the game on xbox.com and it looks like we'll be getting a new Mars table soon.

Supposedly its the table from Zen Pinball

Billy Gnosis
May 18, 2006

Boxman posted:

Also, I am terrible at the video mode on this table. drat it's hard.

I never had trouble with it, once I knew what the hell you were supposed to do. I kept on missing the explanation every time I played it. For some reason, in general, for that table I think text doesn't stay on long enough or the rules sheet is vaguer than in other tables.

Billy Gnosis
May 18, 2006

Obeast posted:

Zen just posted a trailer for the final Marvel: Vengence and Virtue (which I guess is a 'sequel' of sorts to the original Marvel table pack) table based on Thor.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zOm0QXACl5g

I don't think anyone in this thread mentioned this new pack, so this is probably news to a lot of us. The other tables will be based on Ghost Rider, Moon Knight, and X-Men, and will cost 800 MSP on the XBLA and $10 on PSN.

Moon Knight is really oddly over-represented in videogames vs the comics isn't he? (Clearly it means a Moon Knight movie is coming given the rest of the pack).

Billy Gnosis
May 18, 2006

The physics in the Pinball HoF: Williams Collection for the 360 is probably the best I've seen in a game, so I wouldn't worry too much (Unless FarSight managed to loose the source or something)

Billy Gnosis
May 18, 2006

ponzicar posted:

Interesting. I think the only other time anything like that has been done was with Pinball Quest way back in the NES days.

Though I'm a bit apprehensive on how well xp/loot is going to mesh with high scores since that is what keeps on bringing me back.

Billy Gnosis
May 18, 2006

robot roll call posted:

Cedar Point in Ohio has a big arcade with a Hercules machine. The ball is literally a cueball, or at least it looked like one. It plays incredibly slow due to the size, I didn't really think it was much more fun than a novelty.

I played it at a California Extreme years ago, and I'd have to agree, it really is just novelty, I'm not even sure I finished the game since it wasn't very entertaining, and I like tons of pinball machines.

Billy Gnosis
May 18, 2006

I really don't understand the epic quest table I think (how some of the modes etc work), and yet, I got 134 Mil on it :psyduck:

I understand fighting (except what dodge really does and magic) and the skeleton multiball . But everything else, I'm pretty much just hoping something I hit does something good.

Billy Gnosis fucked around with this message at 07:00 on Feb 18, 2012

Billy Gnosis
May 18, 2006

gypsyshred posted:

Have they put out any hints on the release schedule?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Pinball_Arcade suggests "Monster Bash", "Medieval Madness", "Circus Voltaire" and "Attack From Mars", within the first six months (though I might be reaching by reading too much between the lines; Those are all announced anyways).

The giant bomb podcast mentioned "Dr. Dude" as being another announced table which is exciting.

(Also I forgot my GT didn't match my SA name, but its Backlash Jack in case people are wondering who has been trying to friend them or if any more want to friend me for FX2 scoreboards).

Billy Gnosis fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Feb 19, 2012

Billy Gnosis
May 18, 2006

The sad thing is, if it has better friends list scoreboard integration (like Pinball FX2), i'd probably be willing to rebuy most of the Williams collection's tables on the 360.

(Also apparently "Bride of Pinbot" is another rumored / seen in videos table). Which I don't remember if that is even a decent table.

Billy Gnosis
May 18, 2006

Yechezkel posted:

PS3/Vita version is now scheduled to be released on April 10.

facebook posted:

We're still hopeful that the 360 version can be launched on the 28th, but it's not a sure thing yet.

So all new platforms may be delayed.

Billy Gnosis
May 18, 2006

I guess its really easy to get extra balls in Ripley's, had like 9 total balls in my first go at it (at least 3 went right down a lane within seconds of starting them though). (#9 on the leader-boards, that isn't going to last).

The interface leaves tons to be desired, mostly seems like due to the phone versions (everything is really big).

GT: Backlash Jack if people didnt friend me from Pinball FX2

Billy Gnosis
May 18, 2006

sethsez posted:

This is FarSight. Yeah, they're probably safe, but it's another example of them doing their damnedest to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory.

Yeah, A bit late but I think at least part of the DLC issue on the 360 is that the current interface/game.(There is no marketplace option in any of the menus for instance, which seems like a hilarious oversight and I thought was required even if your XBLA game has no DLC) . So they have to patch the main game to push out more tables and that patch is over the 4 MB limit. (Unlike pinball fx2 which has been designed to check for DLC from the beginning. They are clearly grabbing something from their own servers since it pushing icons representing the new DLC tables to everyone, but still).

I do worry that this is going to come up every time they want to push out more tables to the 360 version or something else just as terrible. (Its certainly prevented me from chipping in to the kickstarter since I only really want to play it on the 360 and even though they guarantee codes now, I just have no confidence in them)

Billy Gnosis fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Jun 8, 2012

Billy Gnosis
May 18, 2006

Same Great Paste posted:

Looks like 360 players aren't getting decent achievements for the avengers pack. They're only supporting the easiest one per table. (Supposedly there's a hard limit of 99 achievements per game so they're being thrifty)

That's not the biggest deal as long as everyone else is jonesing for more tables as well (especially with Pinball Arcade DLC being MIA). As long as I have scores to compete with.

Billy Gnosis
May 18, 2006

This is rubbing salt into old wounds, but it is annoying to boot up Pinball FX2 on the 360 and see a 6 MB patch when the Pinball Arcade developers claimed a 4 MB patch was "too big"

Billy Gnosis
May 18, 2006

Whats the over-under on the optional update breaking something else or some how the dlc doesn't work at all?

(I'm excited, but my heart has been broken too many times farsight. Why does the 360 have to be the only platform I want to play it on?).

Billy Gnosis
May 18, 2006

Beelzebozo posted:

:confused: First of all, you should either take a moment to familiarize yourself with how an over-under wager works or else stop using the phrase.

But more to the point, what makes you think the DLC won't work at all? How have FarSight broken your heart before? And why does the 360 have to be the only platform you play TPA on? It's available on seven different ones today with five more announced.

Fair enough, I think it made sense at one point (i think I wrote number of bugs at one point). But I meant more of "What else could go wrong to get this out on 360?" because I was so excited for it and they have hit so many unfortunate road blocks (and its the only platform I own that can run it nicely , in theory, and I've already bought it for said platform and I dont need to own multiple copies of a game (or shouldn't to be able to give them more money to begin with)). Perhaps I could have phrased it better, but its obvious from this thread that they have promised 360 stuff by x date and then y date and something has happened each time (sometimes beyond their control, sometimes not) and patches have broken various versions of this game before.

Billy Gnosis fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Jul 24, 2012

Billy Gnosis
May 18, 2006

Boxman posted:

To be equally fair, this is their fault. They never needed to support every possible platform. At this point, I feel like they should push out the kickstarter table to every platform, since people probably donated in reliance of that happening, and then just collapse down to one or two platforms until they can be sure they know how to do things besides "Gods work."

Like, if I'm on iOS and they release for 3DS while I'm still having basic UI issues and a "kill framerate" button, I would be absurdly annoyed.

At the same time, 360 is the lead platform for development apparently. So I'm not sure if focusing on a few platforms would help them much (even though on the coding side, the 360 version seems great (except for the UI feels like its supposed to be a touch screen)). But I'm still on the "new tables on the 360 finally" high that I'm not that frustrated with them this week.

Billy Gnosis fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Aug 2, 2012

Billy Gnosis
May 18, 2006

robot roll call posted:

They used to have it at my local bar before I was more into pinball so I don't have the best perspective, but I liked it a lot. It had a weird button you can use that pops up to prevent balls draining down the middle. I've never played Taxi though so I'm really looking forward to that.

If they are going to include a "Williams Collection" table in pretty much every DLC pack for the time being, I don't really mind that much. Except for maybe Firepower, Space Shuttle (due to being too easy), and Sorcerer, I don't mind paying ~$2 for a more convient package to play them on (and they do look nicer on the 360 in this vs that collection as well. I haven't looked at side-by-side though). Then again I think I'd buy pretty much all dlc for the Arcade and Pinball FX2.

Billy Gnosis
May 18, 2006

Chances are its just going to be the standard android version with minmal work put into it, so why not?

Billy Gnosis
May 18, 2006

petewhitley posted:

Anyone still playing Pinball FX2 on the 360, Zen released a "Zen Classics" DLC today that includes 4 of the tables from the PS3 version that never made it over.

Im not going to get a chance to try them out for a bit, how are they? Are they a bit lacking like I think the default FX1 tables are? (I have a soft spot for Street Fighter and Rocky and Bullwinkle, but those are probably the only FX1 ones I play ever anymore).

I'll probably get them either way, just like the 3rd marvel pack where I think I've still only touched one of the tables more than once.

Billy Gnosis fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Dec 13, 2012

Billy Gnosis
May 18, 2006

Authorman posted:

If you are vaguely east coast, you should check out Silverball Museum in Asbury Park, NJ. Since everything is free to play you can bop between your Twilight Zones, Addams Families and Medieval Madnesses and play some Domino and Spirit of '76 without feeling guilty about dropping money into the on-average much shorter gametime EMs.

Also you can marvel at how much better pinball got when they added an extra inch to the flippers. This was the norm before the late sixties.

Complete barbarism, that's what that is.

Did Sandy hurt the museum? My understanding is its near the boardwalk which got decimated. (I haven't been to Asbury Park though).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Billy Gnosis
May 18, 2006

When I saw Stern's "Nugent" at California Extreme a long time ago, I just thought "Really?"