Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?
So Sigma and I went 2-1 and were probably the only team without a poison guy. We lost not to being poisoned, not to being outplayed, but to someone topdecking an Exsanguinate in a game we had locked up and doming us for 20 damage. To be fair, we also won a game by hitting some guys for 16 with our own Exsanguinate. The card is so off the charts good that it's a little stupid in 2HG. If you don't have a counterspell it just straight up beats you.

Observations:

Poison isn't good unless your non-poison deck is synergistic (read: good at proliferating). If they aren' set up to play poison as a team, you can focus fire their poison creatures down and shrug off their normal damage - this is how we won round 1. Round 3 was much harder to win because the team had 1 poison deck and the non-poison deck had steady progress, Inexorable Tide, and Contagion Engine. They only hit us with 1 poison counter and proliferated us to 8 and would have killed us on their turn if Sigma hadn't had the land off his moriok replica to make Exsanguinate lethal.

While Poison seems good, it really splits your teams focus unless the other deck can prop it up. That said, if you have skittles, you can probably just win off poison. Counterspells meanwhile are amazing we would have killed for a pair of stoic rebuttals.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005
2HG is however, a total blast to play.

Peeling 18 damage off the top of your deck is a bit loving ridiculous, though. I really need to go back and add Exsanguinate to all my EDH decks :v:

Lunsku
May 21, 2006

Draft a decent, not good RW in 8-4. Face very unfocused feeling BG Infect on round 1.

G1, mull to 6 lands on play, proceed to draw spells for seven turns with plenty of 3cc speedbumbs in hand. Bummer.

G2, mull to 6 again, but manage a win through opponent Contagion Engine and Contagion Clasp in play. Nice.

G3, have the opponent put down the Contagion Engine again, but this time manage to drop the game all by yourself by simply choosing the wrong play, with no one else to blame. This one hurt a fair bit.

The wrong play: eight mana open, equip and shoot with your Contagion Engined Hippogriff and Rust Tick to remove only opponent non-arrested creature on board, Corpse Cur with Grafted Exoskeleton. Let your opponent wipe your board next untap and put you on two turn clock with the Engine. Don't think I actually even had out for the Engine in the deck anymore.

The right play: lock the Contagion Engine with Tick, when opponent attack with Cur drop Darksteel Sentinel from hand to double block and hopefully trade 1 for 1. Next turn, drop Accorder's Shield and equip Tick to take it past Grasp range, and hope your 2/2 Hippogriff/Sentinel and draws manage to beat your opponents empty board, two card hand and draws.

Wouldn't have bet on myself on even odds in that race, but it's better odds than 0% I gave myself.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005
I'm assuming you're equipping and shooting with an arbalest in there?

And yeah, if your opponent has a contagion engine on the board and you have a poison counter, you need to stop the engine at all costs.

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

I learned a valuable lesson last night. If you draft W/r Metalcraft, don't forget the W.
I did win a blow off match with Argentum Armor and Tower of Calamity active though.

Ashenai
Oct 5, 2005

You taught me language;
and my profit on't
Is, I know how to curse.

Pretty Hat Machine posted:

I learned a valuable lesson last night. If you draft W/r Metalcraft, don't forget the W.

Yeah, I have this problem a lot. Most of the time, I can pick up good artifacts and red Metalcraft stuff fairly easily, but the Glint Hawks and Sunchasers are really the glue that holds a winning metalraft deck together, and they go early, real early :(

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

I also opened five really solid white cards in my first pack so I didn't expect anything to come back. The red flowed freely, but I didn't know how to supplement it.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 245 days!
If black is open enough, you can always just pick up removal and late Bleak Coven Vampires and trade on that turn 5 8-point life swing.

Gerund
Sep 12, 2007

He push a man

Man I must be in a different generation of the format than some of y'all: Glint Hawk and Sunchaser are coming late in packs whenever I'm trying for metalcraft and picking up Chrome Steeds & Snapsail Gliders. Sunchaser and the U 1/1 Certarch tapper especially are picks 10+. The thing about the "good" metalcraft deck is that you hardly want more than 6-10 colored cards, and most of those are removal. Getting a single or double of a 23rd card isn't really what I want.

On the other hand, I've had success playing Screeching Silcaw + Glinthawk + Sunspear Shikari as late picks to go with multiple Silvok Lifestaff and Barbed Battlegear/Darksteel Axe. Is fast equipment beats working for anyone else?

GottaPayDaTrollToll
Dec 3, 2009

by Lowtax

Hodgepodge posted:

If black is open enough, you can always just pick up removal and late Bleak Coven Vampires and trade on that turn 5 8-point life swing.

Is it just me, or does this set have an enormous number of ways at common to shove through a few points of late damage compared to most? It just seems like the amount of life it's safe to stabilize at is far higher than it would normally be.

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

I only pray, Heaven knows when to lift you out

I did win a blow off match with Argentum Armor and Tower of Calamity active though.

You are a greater man than I, Pretty Hat Machine

Nemico
Sep 23, 2006

At the Scars release I beat a poison + Wurmcoil deck in game three. I was at one life and nine poison counters. The card that did it was Tower of Calamities :c00l:

ChewyLSB
Jan 13, 2008

Destroy the core

Nemico posted:

At the Scars release I beat a poison + Wurmcoil deck in game three. I was at one life and nine poison counters. The card that did it was Tower of Calamities :c00l:

Near death experience should be errata'd to 1 life, 9 poison, or zero cards in library.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!
NDE should be an instant.

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

I only pray, Heaven knows when to lift you out

Yawgmoth posted:

NDE should be an instant.

I want to make a deck around it, I wonder how hard it would be to pull off.

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

crime fighting hog posted:

You are a greater man than I, Pretty Hat Machine

Hey, I had to try it!

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!
I've used Tower of Calamities as a 24th card before, it's pretty nice to draw out a removal spell so you can be safer in playing a steel hellkite or mimic vat or whatever. And if they don't kill it, hey you've got a kill spell every turn eventually.

Gerund
Sep 12, 2007

He push a man

Allow me to present evidence that Sunchaser is actually a terrible card:

http://www.starcitygames.com/magic/scarslimited/20514_Video_Drafting_with_Matteo_Scars_of_Mirrodin_3.html

Match 1 Game 1, if any of the 3 (3!) Sunchasers he was playing the Ghalma's Warden that he is letting rot in the sideboard, he would be in a much, much better place to win the game.

Vanilla Bison
Mar 27, 2010

Gerund posted:

http://www.starcitygames.com/magic/scarslimited/20514_Video_Drafting_with_Matteo_Scars_of_Mirrodin_3.html

Match 1 Game 1, if any of the 3 (3!) Sunchasers he was playing the Ghalma's Warden that he is letting rot in the sideboard, he would be in a much, much better place to win the game.

I love how he correctly points out that Kuldotha Forgemaster is worth considering just because a Siege Mastodon is quite good in a format with smaller creatures, then dismisses Ghalma's Warden as a "not very good metalcraft guy." It's always a Pillarfield Ox, dude.

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

Well since I can't be arsed to fix my Modo account I decided to try the Brainburst/TCGplayer draft simulator.

I don't think it makes for a good simulation.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Well since I can't be arsed to fix my Modo account I decided to try the Brainburst/TCGplayer draft simulator.

I don't think it makes for a good simulation.

Gonna draft this tomorrow and just roll over everyone.

GottaPayDaTrollToll
Dec 3, 2009

by Lowtax

Gerund posted:

I'm surprised he didn't at least side it in after Game 1 after his opponent played Heavy Arbalest, Barrage Ogre, and a bunch of 2/2s. (Sideboarding in limited doesn't get nearly enough respect IMO.)

Gerund
Sep 12, 2007

He push a man

GottaPayDaTrollToll posted:

I'm surprised he didn't at least side it in after Game 1 after his opponent played Heavy Arbalest, Barrage Ogre, and a bunch of 2/2s. (Sideboarding in limited doesn't get nearly enough respect IMO.)

Also the huge misplay of Arresting the solitary 1/1 when you had A- better and more aggressive cards to put on the board instead and B- a Heavy Arbelest on the board when the opponent is playing blue.

Oh and apparently you can target your own guys with Arbelest, who knew?

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

Yawgmoth posted:

Gonna draft this tomorrow and just roll over everyone.

P2P1 Glimmerpoint Stag, P2P2 Glimmerpoint Stag, P2P3, you guessed it, Glimmerpoint Stag.

New archetype. W/w Metalcraft

Ashenai
Oct 5, 2005

You taught me language;
and my profit on't
Is, I know how to curse.
You can make a pretty neat flip-flop with two Glimmerpoint Stags.

I mean, it doesn't do anything but I'd be pretty intimidated sitting on the other side of that.

GoldenDelicious
Feb 20, 2008

One A Day.
For anyone who wishes to live vicariously through my idiotic actions: What suggestions/tips do you have when I head up to Nashville next weekend? Any good ways to prepare in the coming week? Anything I should look out for/look forward to?

Lunsku
May 21, 2006

If you have paper boosters to crack and are willing to do so, put yourself on a timer, open six boosters and force yourself to make a build out of the "sealed pool", preferably two or more builds.

I've really noticed that when 90% of my sealed has been on MTGO, not having that nice one-click sortable, all cards visible list, instead having pile of paper cards in hand, has at worst made me miss obvious poo poo I never would have missed in MTGO about the pool.

Lunsku
May 21, 2006

Scars draft trip report: draft so-so GW metalcraft, decent feeling UWr metalcraft and exit round 1 both times, then hair-trigger lock to GB Infect with glorious p1p1 Contagious Nim (was weak pack) and make final without much sweat...

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!
Drafted a solid BG infect deck tonight, no bombs just a pile of solid cards. Evidently my decision to pick tumble magnets really high was a good one, because I only lost a single game all night. Unfortunately turnout was poo poo tonight, so I only won back what I spent, plus a FNM card. Ah well, it was fun and I got to sign/date a card and put it up on the winner's board (it was a blight papa loves mamba).

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

I got passed a P1P2 Putrefax so I had to play infect and didn't do as well. :negative:

Vidmaster
Oct 26, 2002

I did decently with infect tonight, went 3-1. I was lucky because my pod wasn't hatedrafting the good infect guys and I managed to pick up a few decent cards. I also won a promo plague stinger, which was pretty neat!

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

I got passed a P1P2 Putrefax so I had to play infect and didn't do as well. :negative:

FYI Putrefax is pretty terrible most of the time.

tgijsola
Apr 27, 2008

orange
Pillbug
Tried forcing U metalcraft control last night, ended up with a mediocre deck because, against all odds, someone else at the table did the same thing. Played him round 1, he had all the stoic rebuttals and halt orders that I expected to get in picks 5-10.

Still ended up with a couple sky eel schools, a lumengrid drake, and a precursor golem. My singleton Vedalken Certarch was GREAT, I won a few games entirely because of him, wish I could have picked up more. Also pulled a win out of my rear end with a heavy arbalest on a soliton. Pew pew!

Also, I should have known this, but Dissipation Field is so goddamn bad. It effectively gave my opponents creatures vigilance, and is hilariously awful against blade-tribe berserkers.

Imaduck
Apr 16, 2007

the magnetorotational instability turns me on

tgijsola posted:

Also, I should have known this, but Dissipation Field is so goddamn bad. It effectively gave my opponents creatures vigilance, and is hilariously awful against blade-tribe berserkers.
Yeah, putting dissipation field in the same set as a million creatures with ETB effects is about as bad as putting combust in the same set as the titans. Thanks but no thanks.

Gerund
Sep 12, 2007

He push a man

tgijsola posted:

Tried forcing U metalcraft control last night, ended up with a mediocre deck because, against all odds, someone else at the table did the same thing. Played him round 1, he had all the stoic rebuttals and halt orders that I expected to get in picks 5-10.

Still ended up with a couple sky eel schools, a lumengrid drake, and a precursor golem. My singleton Vedalken Certarch was GREAT, I won a few games entirely because of him, wish I could have picked up more. Also pulled a win out of my rear end with a heavy arbalest on a soliton. Pew pew!

Vedalken Certarch is terrible in multiples. Doesn't count itself to turn on and once you have the tap effect going being able to attack or block with more than a 1/1 is worth more than tapping their second-best to fourth best creature.

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

While it didn't work in my other two matches, Contagion Engine + 2 Glint Hawks is drat sexy.

GottaPayDaTrollToll
Dec 3, 2009

by Lowtax

Sigma-X posted:

FYI Putrefax is pretty terrible most of the time.

How so? It either gets in for five poison, or kills a small guy and gets in for a couple poison, or kills multiple small guys, or kills one big guy, or shrinks one huge guy, all of which seem like good outcomes. It's also a way for the poison deck to have some reach, of which it needs as much as it can get.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

GottaPayDaTrollToll posted:

How so? It either gets in for five poison, or kills a small guy and gets in for a couple poison, or kills multiple small guys, or kills one big guy, or shrinks one huge guy, all of which seem like good outcomes. It's also a way for the poison deck to have some reach, of which it needs as much as it can get.

Putrefax is a good card to have if you're already in infect, but if its early and you're trying to pick up infect you want better dudes than him, dudes that actually stick around.

I don't think you P1P2 Ball Lightning, and for the same reason. Putrefax is more comparable to lava axe or ball lightning - you're right that he does give some reach and some surprise beats, but I think you need to have the core of the cards first. I'd take any of the 2 drops or 3 drop infect dudes over him, and Tel Jilad and Corpse Cur over him, too, especially early on. If its P3P1 and I've got 7-8 infect guys, then I'm all over him, but any earlier he isn't as impressive.

Infect has to really push their guys for value, and Putrefax doesn't do that as well.

Vidmaster
Oct 26, 2002

Sigma-X posted:

Putrefax is a good card to have if you're already in infect, but if its early and you're trying to pick up infect you want better dudes than him, dudes that actually stick around.

I don't think you P1P2 Ball Lightning, and for the same reason. Putrefax is more comparable to lava axe or ball lightning - you're right that he does give some reach and some surprise beats, but I think you need to have the core of the cards first. I'd take any of the 2 drops or 3 drop infect dudes over him, and Tel Jilad and Corpse Cur over him, too, especially early on. If its P3P1 and I've got 7-8 infect guys, then I'm all over him, but any earlier he isn't as impressive.

Infect has to really push their guys for value, and Putrefax doesn't do that as well.

Unless you're drafting with a bunch of people who don't give a poo poo about infect and don't give a poo poo about hatedrafting good infect guys when there isn't a better pick, Putrefax is basically never going to table. About the best you can hope for is sending someone else into infect and then cutting them hard on packs 1 and 3 so they wind up with a lovely infect deck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vanilla Bison
Mar 27, 2010

If Ball Lightning was a 10/3, I'd be pretty comfortable taking it second pick and pushing myself towards an aggressive red deck. The real question about Putrefax is, how lovely does the rest of your infect strategy have to be that you wouldn't play him? Probably lovely enough that taking a Corpse Cur, Plague Stinger or Cystbearer out of the pack instead wouldn't have saved your draft.