Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Methanar posted:

How are you supposed to watch hockey or the news in western canada without cable.

My basement renter suddenly decided that he wants to watch these things, but everything I'm looking at for how to do that is a pile of poo poo. He thinks he wants to go out and buy an Apple TV stick or whatever

Telus is my service provider

The streaming service NHL Gamecenter- renamed (exclusively in Canada! :fuckoff: ) Rogers NHL LIve™ doesn't require a TV sub, though it does black out local games... unless they're in the playoffs. :edmonton tear:

https://nhllive.rogers.com/en/support-faqs It's on the last two console gens, and Chromecast/etc. supported.

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Feb 2, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

Mister Facetious posted:

The streaming service NHL Gamecenter- renamed (exclusively in Canada! :fuckoff: ) Rogers NHL LIve™ doesn't require a TV sub, though it does black out local games... unless they're in the playoffs. :edmonton tear:

https://nhllive.rogers.com/en/support-faqs It's on the last two console gens, and Chromecast/etc. supported.

Went through that thing and it's trash. I can't even login, the website throws me into an infinite loop trying to login. Including in incognito mode in case it was a cookie issue. Also it contradicts itself multiple times with occasionally saying you must have a rogers service to watch the NHL, and other places saying you don't.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Methanar posted:

Went through that thing and it's trash. I can't even login, the website throws me into an infinite loop trying to login. Including in incognito mode in case it was a cookie issue. Also it contradicts itself multiple times with occasionally saying you must have a rogers service to watch the NHL, and other places saying you don't.

Well, it works on my PS4 and 360, and I haven't had Rogers since before their NHL exclusivity deal. :shrug:

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

http://www.news1130.com/2018/02/15/shaw-cut-one-quarter-workforce-buyouts/

whoops

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
"gently caress this place, I'm out!"

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Lmao I'd take the buyout too if I worked there

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

https://globalnews.ca/news/4027883/business-report-shaw-communications-is-ahead-of-the-curve-the-toronto-star-isnt/

I know that Shaw Media was spun off a couple years ago, but lol they shook

edit: wait, wtf

Coxswain Balls fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Feb 15, 2018

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009
So is the newspaper not Shaw proper?

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe
The sheer amount of cash the Star dumped into their tablet project was staggering. With usage stats and sales for tablets down YoY since like 2013, it really made no sense even when they started it.

I do feel bad for print media though, the majority of their content just gets "indexed" by Google and Facebook who somehow get all of the ad revenue now despite producing nothing themselves.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Volguus posted:

So is the newspaper not Shaw proper?

Global used to be owned directly by Shaw, but was sold to Corus, which is also owned by the Shaw family.

The Toronto Star has absolutely nothing to do with Shaw.

It looks like the caption was fixed, but it's more or less a snipe at the Toronto Star for, I dunno, posting this morning's press release? And whatever old man/automated machine that makes their articles malfunctioned for a moment.

originalnickname
Mar 9, 2005

tree

Coxswain Balls posted:

Global used to be owned directly by Shaw, but was sold to Corus, which is also owned by the Shaw family.

The Toronto Star has absolutely nothing to do with Shaw.

It looks like the caption was fixed, but it's more or less a snipe at the Toronto Star for, I dunno, posting this morning's press release? And whatever old man/automated machine that makes their articles malfunctioned for a moment.

It's kind of funny how they're spinning this "well only 1/4 of our workforce took this and we entirely expected this" ... Well, you only offered it to roughly half of them and over half of those people offered took the deal.

Working in customer service in Shaw/Freedom? Chances are you'll be getting offered the deal next.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

I'm still a little bummed because I like my work, my team is awesome and so is all of my direct leadership. It's just that when you get a sudden message like the ones you all have been seeing in the news from the company president, you ultimately have to look out for what's best for yourself and your family.

The severance definitely cushions the blow of such a sudden change in your life. It's been really exciting to hear what everyone's plans are gonna be for the future, so kudos to the company for not just doing a mass layoff.

Kowak
Jan 1, 2007

What I'm not looking forward to is getting stuck waiting and working 12 months for my payout while they scramble to try to figure out how they're going to let us all go without severely hampering customer service.

originalnickname
Mar 9, 2005

tree
Yeah, nothing like being able to plan, right? You're probably not far wrong regarding that 12 months number anyway since half the people in charge of developing said "digital" customer service apps have taken the package.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
I was already thinking of hopping from Freedom to another discount carrier because of some weird service issues the last month or two. This is giving me a definite nudge to go through with that.

bigmandan
Sep 11, 2001

lol internet
College Slice
We all know that Bell has lovely sales and customer service, but this is nuts. http://www.cbc.ca/player/play/1175445059965/

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

bigmandan posted:

We all know that Bell has lovely sales and customer service, but this is nuts. http://www.cbc.ca/player/play/1175445059965/

Haven't people been saying things like this for years though on the internet?

bigmandan
Sep 11, 2001

lol internet
College Slice

Mister Facetious posted:

Haven't people been saying things like this for years though on the internet?

True, but seeing video of it happening is interesting to me as I have steered clear of Bell and haven't seen firsthand what they're up to.

bigmandan fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Mar 5, 2018

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Payment by commission only should be grounds for criminal prosecution.

Kachunkachunk
Jun 6, 2011

Bieeanshee posted:

I was already thinking of hopping from Freedom to another discount carrier because of some weird service issues the last month or two. This is giving me a definite nudge to go through with that.
I'd say try to stick it out, perhaps. Depending on where you are, Freedom is actively improving their network quality and I've noticed significant improvements for myself over the last six months in the tri-city area, East of Vancouver. It's not only all LTE now, but I'm noticing substantially less packet loss and weird connectivity disruption.

It doesn't hold a candle to Bell's network quality, but at this point I finally don't miss the network from one of the big carriers.

Edit: Also, even up to six months ago, Rogers gave me a hard time out East in Toronto any time I was indoors or ending up in a 3G area. It's like they don't actually allocate any resources to their 3G telco components; I've consistently found myself without working data any time I was on Rogers' 3G service. This was with several handsets, SIM cards, and locations around southern Ontario where fallback to 3G was necessary.
Traveled to Switzerland some time for holidays, and 2G and 3G were actually usable for data/browsing with two of the same handsets. Huh.

Kachunkachunk fucked around with this message at 09:20 on Mar 6, 2018

Bob NewSCART
Feb 1, 2012

Outstanding afternoon. "I've often said there's nothing better for the inside of a man than the outside of a horse."

Lol they just raised internet prices again and Telus is removing all bundle deals. Cool

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

bigmandan posted:

Never buy anything from a door-to-door salesperson, I thought everyone knew that after all the natural gas shenanigans last decade.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I believe that's why, like every con artist- they prey on the elderly most.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Bob NewSCART posted:

Lol they just raised internet prices again and Telus is removing all bundle deals. Cool
Final reason to keep the landline is gone then. Good work telus.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep

Chris Knight posted:

Never buy anything from a door-to-door salesperson, I thought everyone knew that after all the natural gas shenanigans last decade.

"Hello I'm being paid for a boots on the ground effort to show up at your door and offer you free money because that's just how capitalism works!"

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

8ender posted:

"Hello I'm being paid for a boots on the ground effort to show up at your door and offer you free money because that's just how capitalism works!"

I'm listening...

Tagra
Apr 7, 2006

If you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.

slidebite posted:

Final reason to keep the landline is gone then. Good work telus.

When they reduced the bundle discount I finally cancelled Optik and very explicitly told them that was the reason why. I guess they didn't learn anything.

Hmm +6 to my bill for no gain or -30 and the loss of a landline I only give out to people I don't want to talk to. Hmmmmmm.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
With Optik I believe you get the phone line anyway they just don’t tell you about it explicitly. I got it a while back and the installer gave me a jack and even told me the number for it but it was not on the bill.
He said if I started making long distance calls from it they’d bill me for that but otherwise local and receiving service was free.

I’ve since moved to shaw so I don’t know if it is still the case. Waiting for fibre to come to my area before moving back to Telus.

Frank Dillinger
May 16, 2007
Jawohl mein herr!
Are there any good promos on Telus for new fibre areas? Telus dropped a letter in my mailbox saying they’d be doing the hookup soon

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Frank Dillinger posted:

Are there any good promos on Telus for new fibre areas? Telus dropped a letter in my mailbox saying they’d be doing the hookup soon

If you sign a 2 year contract, they'll lube up before going in, instead of going in dry.

Also, they won't raise prices until month 13 of your contract, then allow you to go back to the old price for 6 months if you extend the contract by 3 years.

Frank Dillinger
May 16, 2007
Jawohl mein herr!

Powershift posted:

If you sign a 2 year contract, they'll lube up before going in, instead of going in dry.

Also, they won't raise prices until month 13 of your contract, then allow you to go back to the old price for 6 months if you extend the contract by 3 years.

Where do I sign?

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep

Chris Knight posted:

I'm listening...

Ok first send me a lot of money, then I'll send you magic jewels that heal your Puma6 based cable modem latency issues

Bob NewSCART
Feb 1, 2012

Outstanding afternoon. "I've often said there's nothing better for the inside of a man than the outside of a horse."

8ender posted:

Ok first send me a lot of money, then I'll send you magic jewels that heal your Puma6 based cable modem latency issues

PayPal???

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Not really isp related but I had been wondering why my wifi had been cutting out and the antennas on the netgear R7000 were turned in odd angles from time to time. I thought they were just rotating on their own because they were old and gravity just pulled them down. Also the wifi button was turned off at one point.

Turned out my cat had been busting into the closed closet it is in via ceiling ductwork and was sleeping on the router, busted!!

I think she managed to take out the cable modem at one point too by pushing it off the shelf and the power cord yanked out but the cat5 and coax kept it from smashing onto the floor. It was a total mystery how that happened until I found her on the router. :haw:

vvv lol

priznat fucked around with this message at 08:23 on Mar 12, 2018

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

priznat posted:

Not really isp related but I had been wondering why my wifi had been cutting out and the antennas on the netgear R7000 were turned in odd angles from time to time. I thought they were just rotating on their own because they were old and gravity just pulled them down. Also the wifi button was turned off at one point.

Turned out my cat had been busting into the closed closet it is in via ceiling ductwork and was sleeping on the router, busted!!

I think she managed to take out the cable modem at one point too by pushing it off the shelf and the power cord yanked out but the cat5 and coax kept it from smashing onto the floor. It was a total mystery how that happened until I found her on the router. :haw:

Ah, I see the problem, you installed 1 cat, should have installed cat5. :v::3:

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Bob NewSCART posted:

So it wasn't just Bell and Rogers but Telus as well raising prices in unison? Cool, cool...

"COLLUuUuUuUuSION"

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Maybe we can ask their lobbyist in charge of the CRTC to look into it, and he can tell us to gently caress off again :allears:

Bob NewSCART
Feb 1, 2012

I loving hate Canadian Internet

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.
Canadian internet is really bad but some resellers are stand-up companies. Please review and match your prospective ISPs against this list:

https://openmedia.org/en/ca/our-supporters

Don't forget that when you pay for service from the incumbents, you are paying their lawyers to fight against openmedia, the crtc and that rad package you managed to argue out of the incumbents' retention department.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else

Bob NewSCART posted:

I loving hate Canadian Internet