Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

In fun news. Roger's is putting in new fiber lines on our street

Promising to make the work quick and painless and tbe crews would even return all landscaping to pristine condition after they're finished

Day 1 they managed to drill right through the main coax for the street.

And now on day 3 there is a massive trench running outside, about 5 feet deep and 3 feet wide

This will be fun to watch unfold

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos

Blue On Blue posted:

Promising to make the work quick and painless and tbe crews would even return all landscaping to pristine condition after they're finished

And now on day 3 there is a massive trench running outside, about 5 feet deep and 3 feet wide

Welcome to lowest bidder subcontracting.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

cowofwar posted:

That always manages to somehow go overbudget... :tinfoil:

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

cowofwar posted:

It's funny because for the past month, we've had at least 5 different locators on the street, they marked the water/gas/etc lines at least 3 different times, because it kept getting washed away by rain or other water

But they neglected to locate the coax that they were running parallel to

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
BellMTS' new return policy for equipment is you can't drop it off in store, they send you a shipping label and ask you to box it up with bubble wrap so it doesn't get damaged and drop it off at the post office. If they don't get it within 10 days of the day THEY send you the label they threaten to send you a collections letter. gently caress Bell

DariusLikewise fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Oct 3, 2018

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
Won't lie, thats a pretty clever scam.

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

DariusLikewise posted:

BellMTS' new return policy for equipment is you can't drop it off in store, they send you a shipping label and ask you to box it up with bubble wrap so it doesn't get damaged and drop it off at the post office. If they don't get it within 10 days of the day THEY send you the label they threaten to send you a collections letter. gently caress Bell

So glad Pallister let Bell buy MTS. Just turbo-hosed Manitobans for the rest of time.
I mean, I moved to Ontario 7 years ago, so I'm already getting hosed, but moving home is in the plans, and a non-horrible cell plan would have been nice.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Blue On Blue posted:

Update:

They knicked the main natural gas line , causing the entire street to be shut down for a few hours , and gas service to the house to be shut down for 24 hours

And that was a week ago , we've since had 3 times that they have had to shut off hydro and gas at the same time .... I wonder why

They're still digging up the street too

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

slidebite posted:

Hey, question to ask you guys that are more in the know than me. Might not be the best thread for it, but someone here might know.

My folks will be house-sitting for us late this summer when we are gone for a couple weeks. The problem I have is I cut the cord for TV literally 10 years ago, and my folks are old and still love watching TV. They have Telus Optic TV, and while I obviously don't, I do have 250/250 FTTH Telus as my ISP at my place and I have my place wired with CAT5 in every room.

Anyone know if the folks can simply bring their Telus TV box to my place, plug it into my network and get their TV service?
Thought I'd respond to my own post from a few months ago in case some of you are curious.

I have Telus Fibre 300/300 at my house and my folks did bring their Telus Optik TV box with them just to try.. because why not.

I plugged it into my RJ45, and it worked like a hot drat. No issues at all. They got their full TV access no problems with my network. Interestingly enough, if someone tried calling their house in St. Albert while they house-sat for us (we're just outside of Lethbridge) they got their caller ID displayed on the TV as well.

I also checked data usage and it appears it didn't use any data on my plan at all.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009
I'm moving in 2 weeks to a new house (newly built: the house and the few blocks on each side neighbourhood) and I can see on the side of the house the Bell box (phone box I assume) and the optical cable (not connected). According to bell.ca that new address does not have any Bell services available (though 2 numbers before me does have gigabit). According to one representative on the phone that I spoke with 2 weeks ago, there should be no problem getting gigabit fibe. According to another representative that I spoke with 2 hours ago I cannot get anything until they "connect" the cables (whatever that means).

Has anyone been in this situation before with them? Does bugging them (calling more often) help ? Get them to move their asses faster? Or, no matter what you do, when it'll be installed it'll be installed and that's that. Rogers is not available either, nor is Fido (according to their websites). Of course, 3rd parties are out of the question as well.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

^ It is important to remember that all employees of companies such as this, certainly those that (are supposed to) provide services to the customer are absolutely useless, care nothing for you or granting you any kind of satisfaction and have no idea whatsoever what they are doing. You really gotta kick their arses sometimes, advise them of the box on the house and that the neighbors have fibe. Though that said, buddy of mine had to get rogers because, although his neighbors have fibe, he is just too far away so its DSL or nothing from the blue guys. Girlfriends mom called for fibe when she got her new apartment, I probably told this here before. When we went to visit, I notice the DSL modem. They couldn't install fibe there and didn't even tell her the difference, which of course is like the car dealership telling you your car you just paid for cant be delivered and instead giving you a used, worn brake pad.

Apparently Fourth Reich Telecom is offering a big win-back deal if you switched
https://www.iphoneincanada.ca/carriers/bell/bell-win-back-offer-gigabit-fibe-1000-internet/

Thats fuckin unreal. 1.5gb for 60 bucks?? It was like 5 minutes ago I thought we were doing good @100mbps

codo27 fucked around with this message at 12:08 on Oct 23, 2018

John Capslocke
Jun 5, 2007
As much as I hate Bell, I'd have to do some serious soul searching if presented with that offer.... 1Gbps for the same price I'm getting 25Mbps now...

unknown
Nov 16, 2002
Ain't got no stinking title yet!

Volguus posted:

I'm moving in 2 weeks to a new house (newly built: the house and the few blocks on each side neighbourhood) and I can see on the side of the house the Bell box (phone box I assume) and the optical cable (not connected). According to bell.ca that new address does not have any Bell services available (though 2 numbers before me does have gigabit). According to one representative on the phone that I spoke with 2 weeks ago, there should be no problem getting gigabit fibe. According to another representative that I spoke with 2 hours ago I cannot get anything until they "connect" the cables (whatever that means).

Has anyone been in this situation before with them? Does bugging them (calling more often) help ? Get them to move their asses faster? Or, no matter what you do, when it'll be installed it'll be installed and that's that. Rogers is not available either, nor is Fido (according to their websites). Of course, 3rd parties are out of the question as well.

Ask your builder for your local bell rep/keep an eye out for flyers/ask neighbors. There's usually a sales guy running around that's getting everyone signed up as soon as it's possible.

The website/general inbound sales won't get updated until it's publicly available to 3rd parties. (But they will take your order so they get the commission, but it'll go into a poo poo pile somewhere until you give up and then magically they'll start billing you even though you didn't get the service)

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy

John Capslocke posted:

As much as I hate Bell, I'd have to do some serious soul searching if presented with that offer.... 1Gbps for the same price I'm getting 25Mbps now...

I hate rogers but I caved 2 years ago for 100/10 for $60. Then I tried to leave last month and they offered 500/20 for $25.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

John Capslocke posted:

I wouldn't search anything. It'd be sold, not questions asked, regardless of how many puppies they sacrifice each morning.

unknown posted:

Ask your builder for your local bell rep/keep an eye out for flyers/ask neighbors. There's usually a sales guy running around that's getting everyone signed up as soon as it's possible.

The website/general inbound sales won't get updated until it's publicly available to 3rd parties. (But they will take your order so they get the commission, but it'll go into a poo poo pile somewhere until you give up and then magically they'll start billing you even though you didn't get the service)

Hmm, thanks. Hadn't thought about that. You're right that maybe the builder has the relations/connections made already.

mewse
May 2, 2006

My experiment with switching to TekSavvy in manitoba is going poorly.

I was on a 2yr contract with shaw for the 150 megabit service. The contract expired earlier this year so I switched to Teksavvy about two months ago.

I initially signed up for their 75 plan because they were doing a back to school promo with discounts on install fee, modem cost, and monthly fee. I requested an increase to 150 as soon as I could, and they sent me an email a few weeks ago saying the 150 change was processed. It wasn't reflected in any speed tests I would run - I'd still get the exact same 85/8 speed I had under the 75 package.

After some emails back and forth where they asked me to disconnect my router and connect a laptop directly, they asked to give me a call, so I was on the phone with them for about half an hour last night where we did the same stuff they had asked me to do via email. They did walk me through doing a factory reset of the cablemodem, which didn't fix the problem.

After kinda accusing me of having garbage on my laptop (it's a clean win7 image and I wasn't running anything but chrome with the speed test site, and I told him resource monitor said 0 network usage without speed test running) -- they're sending me a replacement cablemodem. I have very low hope that this is going to fix the speed problem.

I guess as an IT guy my expectations were higher that they'd be able to unfuck their poo poo? I didn't really understand why they wanted me on the phone last night except to remote into the laptop and poke at the cablemodem from my side, but they didn't do that and basically asked me to run speed tests over and over. I think Shaw is trying to gently caress them over somehow since they're leasing the lines, but they swear everything is set up properly.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Hardware is not infallible.

There's only so much they can do. Check signal levels, make sure the correct firmware is loaded, make sure you're on the right profile. After that it's either wiring in your house, wiring outside your house, bad cable modem, or Shaw is loving you.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
Sounds like bad provisioning. I don't know how the third-party providers work if it would be Shaw's fault or Teksavvy's fault.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Yeah unless it's changed (wasn't there some anti compete stuff around this?) they can't access the root hardware, just their provision layer, so if the problem is higher up the chain they have to submit a ticket to Shaw and hope they do something about it.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Thanks for the insights, I've sent teksavvy an email telling them I have low hopes for the replacement hardware and whether they'd be able to check with Shaw what's going on.

I'm 99% sure it's not house wiring because speeds were exceptional under my old Shaw package, and current upload/download speeds match the lower 75/7.5 package exactly.

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!

mewse posted:

Thanks for the insights, I've sent teksavvy an email telling them I have low hopes for the replacement hardware and whether they'd be able to check with Shaw what's going on.

I'm 99% sure it's not house wiring because speeds were exceptional under my old Shaw package, and current upload/download speeds match the lower 75/7.5 package exactly.

I think Shaw charges teksavy if they make Shaw check or do anything so the techs avoid it like the plague and make you jump through all kinds of hoops so they can be as sure as possible that the problem is on the Shaw side before requesting anything from Shaw. At least that was my experience when I tried teksavy and had a flaky connection.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Squibbles posted:

I think Shaw charges teksavy if they make Shaw check or do anything so the techs avoid it like the plague and make you jump through all kinds of hoops so they can be as sure as possible that the problem is on the Shaw side before requesting anything from Shaw. At least that was my experience when I tried teksavy and had a flaky connection.

If this is what’s going on I might as well go back to shaw, which is disappointing because I always heard TekSavvy had great customer service

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009
As an update on my Bell internet installation saga:

- The builder is the most incompetent and cheap builder in the world (I inspected the house today, getting possession on Tuesday, i saw what they did) and has no idea about any bell representatives that could circumvent the process: "Call Bell for your internet, they should help you".
- 3 calls to Bell over a period of more than a week were only left without any good answer from the people I talked with. "I'm sorry, it appears that even though your neighbour has gigabit fibe available, you do not. Nothing we can do about that".
- The 4th call stumbled over a guy who said "No problem, we'll make it happen" offered a package with internet, tv and home phone for cheaper than internet alone ($73 vs $79/month internet alone), and guaranteed me that since my neighbour has the service available I definitely have it too and therefore next Saturday i should have it installed.

Now, all I can do is cross my fingers that this guy can get it done. Everyone else said "Sorry, no can do". If they are pulling it off, my next question is how do I bypass that router thingy they come with? Their crap has NAT, wifi, TV, etc. and I do not want or need it since I have my own equipment. But even if I have to double NAT for a bit, i'll be fine.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Volguus posted:

Now, all I can do is cross my fingers that this guy can get it done. Everyone else said "Sorry, no can do". If they are pulling it off, my next question is how do I bypass that router thingy they come with? Their crap has NAT, wifi, TV, etc. and I do not want or need it since I have my own equipment. But even if I have to double NAT for a bit, i'll be fine.

Generally you ask for bridge mode, you might have to call it in after install

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

Volguus posted:

As an update on my Bell internet installation saga:

- The builder is the most incompetent and cheap builder in the world (I inspected the house today, getting possession on Tuesday, i saw what they did) and has no idea about any bell representatives that could circumvent the process: "Call Bell for your internet, they should help you".
- 3 calls to Bell over a period of more than a week were only left without any good answer from the people I talked with. "I'm sorry, it appears that even though your neighbour has gigabit fibe available, you do not. Nothing we can do about that".
- The 4th call stumbled over a guy who said "No problem, we'll make it happen" offered a package with internet, tv and home phone for cheaper than internet alone ($73 vs $79/month internet alone), and guaranteed me that since my neighbour has the service available I definitely have it too and therefore next Saturday i should have it installed.

You can put the HomeHub 3000 in bypass mode, and establish your own PPPoE session with whatever equipment you want.

You can, alternately, open up a panel on the back of the HH3k and remove the actual ONT, which is an SFP+ device you can remove and plug into something else with an SFP/SFP+ port on it. There is a long as hell thread about doing that over on DSL Reports: https://www.dslreports.com/forum/r31118482-Yes-you-CAN-bypass-the-HomeHub-3000

You could also, if you have install trouble, post in the Bell Direct forum on DSL Reports. The people that monitor and respond there often have way better tools to resolve issues than the phone people, so if your install doesn't show or gets cancelled, reach out there with your address and ask if they can help.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

EoRaptor posted:

You can put the HomeHub 3000 in bypass mode, and establish your own PPPoE session with whatever equipment you want.

You can, alternately, open up a panel on the back of the HH3k and remove the actual ONT, which is an SFP+ device you can remove and plug into something else with an SFP/SFP+ port on it. There is a long as hell thread about doing that over on DSL Reports: https://www.dslreports.com/forum/r31118482-Yes-you-CAN-bypass-the-HomeHub-3000

You could also, if you have install trouble, post in the Bell Direct forum on DSL Reports. The people that monitor and respond there often have way better tools to resolve issues than the phone people, so if your install doesn't show or gets cancelled, reach out there with your address and ask if they can help.

That's the reassurance I was looking for. When i'll get the thing I'll explore my options, but it's nice to know there are a few at least.Thanks.

wearing a lampshade
Mar 6, 2013

What's good fast unlimited in Vancouver? Doesn't have to be cheap, work is paying for it. And is the puma6 stuff still bad?

wearing a lampshade
Mar 6, 2013

And I don't think fibre optic is an option as we're moving into an apartment in an older house, don't think the landlord's would be keen on getting that installed.

Evis
Feb 28, 2007
Flying Spaghetti Monster

Shaw have a puma7 now, but if cost is irrelevant then Telus have far better upload speeds if you can get fibre. Either way there will be a cable running to the apartment so I’m not sure why the landlord will care which you choose?

wearing a lampshade
Mar 6, 2013

That's likely just my misunderstanding, ty

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002
"Competition Bureau wants to better understand the competitive dynamics of the Canadian broadband (high-speed) internet services sector"

It's time to bring down the Big 4 with just simple survey responses

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

I did my duty. Now waiting for nothing to happen. Again.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Oh boy, I had forgotten I was on a discount with rogers and it just finished. 120$ Bill this month just for internet. Check their website and plans suck just as much as ever.

Guess I'm going to have to spend an hour on the phone to try to get a discount again.

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01

mewse posted:

If this is what’s going on I might as well go back to shaw, which is disappointing because I always heard TekSavvy had great customer service

Teksavvy has good service until they have to deal with Shaw. I had Shaw kill my Teksavvy connection for ~2weeks in the summer for some reason. TekSavvy was fine to deal with but it was frustrating in the sense they had to wait on Shaw to do anything (according to them).

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002
Just curious, does anyone have any experience with Lightspeed? They are beating TS on price for cable wholesale service.

Sixfools
Aug 27, 2005

You be the Moon,
I'll be the Earth
And when we burst
Start over, oh, darling

Oxyclean posted:

Oh boy, I had forgotten I was on a discount with rogers and it just finished. 120$ Bill this month just for internet. Check their website and plans suck just as much as ever.

Guess I'm going to have to spend an hour on the phone to try to get a discount again.

Current deal that reps having been giving out saves about $6 a month for people upgrading from the internet only if you bundle an STB and home phone.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we have sealed ourselves away behind our money, growing inward, generating a seamless universe of self.
I just got a call the other day as my 2-year deal was expiring, it still works out $2 cheaper to get the cable/internet bundle for my gigabit service than to have the internet service on its own, so I have whatever cable package again. Ended up with a minor downgrade though because for whatever reason Rogers cut the upload from 50Mbit to 30Mbit and there's no other option, which is a bit of a pisser, but whatever.

There's Beanfield fibre running literally up my street but somehow getting a 100-year old townhouse on-net isn't an option.

e: And so I've just discovered that Bell will run fibre to my house, and 1.5Gbit/940Mbit is $90 on promo, so we'll see how that goes. Ain't that something?

infernal machines fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Nov 10, 2018

James Baud
May 24, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I'm a little sad that Telus finished running fiber to my place recently and they're having a "focus on profit, not customer acquisitions" quarter so there are no incredibly good promotions. I can wait!

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

Heners_UK posted:

Just curious, does anyone have any experience with Lightspeed? They are beating TS on price for cable wholesale service.

I use them and like them. Getting the first initial setup done with them was super amateur hour. But their price is real good and I havent had any service ossues

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob NewSCART
Feb 1, 2012

Outstanding afternoon. "I've often said there's nothing better for the inside of a man than the outside of a horse."

What do people in GTA/Toronto like to use? I’m on Rogers right now because I’m getting 500/100 for like 60 or so a month