Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE
Just a quick thing. The telus mobilitiy wifi super hub pack extraordinaire doesn't actually do any sort of proper 802.11r handoff. It just boots your client when you reach a certain SNR.

Telus wants you to have these because they help with troubleshooting and support in the future. If you call in saying your internet is poo poo, they can get into your routers and say oh well I see you're having problems with Joey's iphone, how far away from a wifi super hub are you? And you tell them you're out jerking off in your shed and they offer to sell you another one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

James Baud
May 24, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
That explains observed behavior some, I hadn't checked details. Still, configuration-free shared horizon that beats the tplink piece of crap I had before. :)

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

Mister Facetious posted:

Remember everybody, we vote this month! :pseudo:

:negative:

If a party came forward promising a national Telco it would honestly swing my vote pretty hard at this point

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Beanfield outage at work, sigh.

Edit: back after about 45 minutes. Really convenient in the middle of remote leadership meetings and interviews.

teethgrinder fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Oct 9, 2019

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

We have Eastlink out here on the East (ofc) coast, and its decent, not up to fibe standards but decent. But they know they have a huge advantage over Bell in this area because Bell only has DSL still, because gently caress bell. Anyway, seems they have started reselling their services as my neighbors just switched to a company called Citywide who was offering the same 100mbps for half the price. We live away for work and are only here the odd weekend, so we just get wifi from them and I have a repeater set up (this is prearranged, they are our friends). What a loving difference. Eastlink was almost no different than when we actually had the service here ourselves. This poo poo is crap, but is apparently supposed to be the same speeds. It seems they are throttling certain things, I loaded up Steam last night to download kotor2 as I've been trying to get through it, it peaked at 1.2mbps but was bottomed out at 24kbps when I looked. Loading instagram on our of our phones will send any youtube video to hell, if it keeps playing it will be approximately 0p resolution. They are renting them out a router for $5 a month and it is a tiny piece of crap, not sure how much of our woes are owed to this little thing. They even said their own internet in the house was poo poo today, but youtube and netflix are usually fine. They are even offering "internet TV" which I thought was odd. My friend forwarded me this message so I assume they are dealing with them over facebook? It all seems a tad sketchy to me

quote:

Hello,

Exciting News! We now offer TV Service!

To add City Wide T.V. (through ATop) to your existing high speed internet we will require the following:

$49.95 Roku Express 3900 CA
$17.95 Skinny Basic T.V. first month
$15.00 Shipping

$95.38 Total tax included.

Initial payment may very depending on what TV packages you add on. For initial set up, please call in an speak with an agent.

Upon receipt of the payment we will ship it out to you. Shipping is done through Canada Post and should take approximately 2-3 business days.

Compatible devices if already owned:

Apple TV (Version 4)
Roku Devices ( Roku 3 or higher)

TV Channels Listings:

Skinny Package power by atop $17.99
ABC Buffalo TVO
AMI French UNIS
AMI Audio Fox Buffalo
AMI TV Global Toronto
APTN Knowledge Networks
CBC French NBC Buffalo
CBC Toronto OMNI 1
CBS Buffalo OMNI 2
CHCH Hamilton Ontario Legislative channel
Citytv Toronto PBS Buffalo
CPAC RDI
CPAC French TFO
CTV Atlantic TV5
The Weather Network Omni Regional

Replace Skinny Basic with Basic Plus:

Skinny Basic Plus TV power by atop $25.95
TSN Pack (1,2,3,4,5) Much Music
ESPN Classic Family
Gusto
ABC Seattle Omni 2
CBS Seattle CMT
FOX Tacoma Mav tv
NBC Seattle CTV Two Alberta
PBS Vancouver CTV Two Victoria
CityTv Vancouver CTV Vancouver
CBC Vancouver Global Vancouver
CP24 OMNI Vancouver
CNN YesTV Calgary
Treehouse BBC World News
Cartoon Network Disney XD
Nickelodeon Vision
Sundance Channel One Body, Mind, and Spirit

Different add on's:

Sportsnet Package $17.95
Sportsnet Ont
Sportsnet West
Sportsnet East
Sportsnet Pacific
SN 1
SN 360
HBO & Movie Package $14.95

Individual pick $4.00 each or 5 channels for $9.99 - (if adding after having Skinny +)
A&E Discovery Lifetime
ABC KOMO Discovery Science Love Nature
ABC Spark Discovery Science Movietime
AMC Disney HD MSNBC
AMI Disney SD MTV
Animal Planet DIY MTV 2
Aside Documentary Channel National Geographic
BBC Dtour NBA
BBC Earth Family E NBC King 5
BNN Family Jr, ( Formerly Disney jr) Omni BC
Book TV Fashion TV Outdoor Life
Bravo Food Own
CBC News Fox WUTV Peachtree
CBS Kiro FX Showcase
City Vancouver FYI Slice
CNBC Game TV Smithsonian
Cosmopolitan Global BC Space
Cottage Life Golf TCM
CPAC French HGTV Teletoon
Crime & Investigation HIFI TLC
CTV News History Travel & Escape
CTV Toronto HD History 2 TVA
CTV Two Barrie ICI Tele W Network
CTV Two Toronto HD Indipendent Film Channel WFN
Dejaview Leafs TV YTV

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE
It’s not sketchy, it’s just another reseller. You can use start or teksavvy or whoever. What is the actual model of router?

The lines are still the same back to your house so technically the speeds should be the same or better, the difference will be their routing and other infrastructure like cpe and customer support.

Nitr0 fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Nov 10, 2019

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

There is no model number on the router, sticker on the flip side has their brand name on it.

The whole thing poo poo the bed on us a couple hours ago, same when connecting to their ap. Their eastlink was getting cut today, so my money is on when that got cut, it all did. All they did was run another coax off the same splitter eastlink was hooked up to

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE
lovely, they should definitely improve your on boarding. You’ll have to contact them for help.

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002
What's everyone's thoughts on Lightspeed? I'm thinking of jumping from Teksavvy to them, at least until 3rd party fibre arrives (i.e. not Telus)

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

I'm with Telus and my Fiber 300 for $60 promo I got from retention last year is up. They want to jack it to $105/month now.

I'm going to call/online chat with them and see what I can get. I'd like 750 but it's not necessary.. 300 was certainly fast enough for what I do.

Shaw is running a promo in my neighborhood for Bluecurve 600 for $65/yr, then $100 after that and a $50 online credit.

I wouldn't be surprised if they up the online credit for boxing day, I think they had a $200 online credit for black friday/cyber monday.

What seems to be realistic with Telus retention nowdays? We've been with them for something like 25 years between landline and ISP. No mobility through them though.

How is Shaw for high speed? I've literally never had cable, I've always been either DSLor some sort or Fiber since something like 2000.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
DOCSIS upload still sucks, so if that's a thing you care about you'll probably want to stick to fibre

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Uploads not really a big deal to me. Don't torrent and the odd bit I do 20 or so Mbps would be fine.

Any other downside? Idea what should be doable with Telus? I'd rather not leave since they've actually been really solid as an ISP for me, I don't think they've been down in 3 years but I don't want to be tied down if they don't play ball

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
I guess node congestion could potentially still be a thing depending on the area, I'm in Ontario, and I haven't had cable for a year and a bit now, so I don't think I can give any particular insight there.

I know Rogers was having ongoing issues with the DOCSIS 3.1 modems being shite in general, but I don't know what Shaw uses now.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
Shaw and Rogers licensed all their hardware from Comcast so all their stuff is the same now

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

infernal machines posted:

I guess node congestion could potentially still be a thing depending on the area, I'm in Ontario, and I haven't had cable for a year and a bit now, so I don't think I can give any particular insight there.

I know Rogers was having ongoing issues with the DOCSIS 3.1 modems being shite in general, but I don't know what Shaw uses now.

Rogers is offering the TC4400 now, which is a genuinely good DOCSIS 3.1 modem. Shaw might also have it, and any TPIA's as well.

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

slidebite posted:

I'm with Telus and my Fiber 300 for $60 promo I got from retention last year is up. They want to jack it to $105/month now.

I'm going to call/online chat with them and see what I can get. I'd like 750 but it's not necessary.. 300 was certainly fast enough for what I do.

Shaw is running a promo in my neighborhood for Bluecurve 600 for $65/yr, then $100 after that and a $50 online credit.

I wouldn't be surprised if they up the online credit for boxing day, I think they had a $200 online credit for black friday/cyber monday.

What seems to be realistic with Telus retention nowdays? We've been with them for something like 25 years between landline and ISP. No mobility through them though.

Do you have TV?

My retention call a few months ago, I got Internet 300 and TV with 8 theme packs + HBO for 105 down from 185. It's even lower now.

Call, threaten to cancel for Shaw/Novus, and talk about what their promo offer is, and then do a few rounds on hold in between saying Not Good Enough.

less than three fucked around with this message at 09:13 on Dec 15, 2019

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

No I cut the cord many years ago so there is really no value in bundling to me. I think I'll do just that - outright tell them I'm thinking of jumping ship to Shaw and tell me what you can do to keep us.

James Baud
May 24, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
If you can quote the Shaw sign-up promo of the day, you're generally golden to meet or beat it.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Pretty happy with what Telus did. I quoted the Shaw 600 deal and got Fiber 750 for $80 month for 2 years, plus a $50 credit. My landline (which Mrs. Slidebite insists on) at $5/month. I could have got 300 for $10 less a month, and in reality that probably would have been the smart move, but 750 is pretty sweet.

Shaw was $60 first year, and then $95 second, and then $115 afterwards.

I am OK with this especially to not have to deal with this for 2 years.

slidebite fucked around with this message at 05:40 on Dec 17, 2019

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE
Gross but now you’re a telus customer

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib
Could be worse and he switched to Shaw

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE
I’d literally give my money to anyone but telus. I don’t like how cushy they are.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

I've been telus for years and truth be told, I've never had my internet go down with my purefibre the 3 years I've lived here.

That said, I loathe the company but their internet service is rock solid for me.

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE
Yeah the service is fine. For the multi billions of dollars they make in profit their network should be rock solid. The company is absolute trash to the highest degree tho, inside and out.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Telus straight up isn't going to be putting FTTH in my town until probably 2022 because of stupid bureaucratic problems with the city council or something. Does anyone know if you Shaw will put in business DOCSIS 3.1 at a residential location? I have the urge for more upload speed.

originalnickname
Mar 9, 2005

tree

Kazinsal posted:

Telus straight up isn't going to be putting FTTH in my town until probably 2022 because of stupid bureaucratic problems with the city council or something. Does anyone know if you Shaw will put in business DOCSIS 3.1 at a residential location? I have the urge for more upload speed.

Sure if you're willing to pay the extra. It's literally the same modem (xb6) which is either going to be an Intel or Broadcom chipset. The only thing that will be different is your modem contract. These days, the Intel and Broadcom modems perform pretty much the same, no real difference regarding jitter or latency.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Did Intel fix their Puma chipset or is Broadcom just that bad?

originalnickname
Mar 9, 2005

tree

Did Intel fix their Puma chipset or is Broadcom just that bad?

with the XB6, it was Intel that was the bad one. Broadcom in the XB6 has always been pretty solid.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Yeah, the Intel chipsets in the Hitron DOCSIS 3.1 modems were absolute poo poo and had major latency/jitter issues at launch. When you said there was no difference with the Broadcom chipset I wasn't sure if that meant they were bad or Intel fixed their poo poo.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Update: they apparently can just slap in business gigabit DOCSIS 3.1 service at a residence. On a distinctly related note, I have accidentally acquired myself a Shaw Business account manager and an offer for a discount from the posted rates.

Moral of the story: pretend to be a business if you want decent internet in Canada.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Nitr0 posted:

Yeah the service is fine. For the multi billions of dollars they make in profit their network should be rock solid. The company is absolute trash to the highest degree tho, inside and out.

So they're basically like any other major Canadian telecom co?

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE
Yep pretty much.

Bell and Telus are up to 7 bil a year in profit.

Rogers 6 bil.

Shaw is a paltry 200 million dollars.

Support your smaller isp’s. Actively divert your money away from these ridiculous corporations. If you’re giving a dime to bell, telus or Rogers and not utilizing an indie company or an actual honest to god real own isp, then you’re part of the problem.

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002

Nitr0 posted:

... not utilizing an indie company or an actual honest to god real own isp, then you’re part of the problem.

Ok I'm not... But who do I get my fibre internet from?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Just fund an independent ISP willing to do a fibre rollout to your house, duh. If none exist then make one.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Nitr0 posted:

If you’re giving a dime to bell, telus or Rogers and not utilizing an indie company or an actual honest to god real own isp, then you’re part of the problem.
Dude, your heart is in the right place but that's far from realistic for tons of us.

I just want my ISP to be fast, reliable and a reasonable price. If an indie could do that where I live I'd be happy to sign up, but they aren't.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

I try to use Beanfield wherever I can here in TO, but their footprint is so limited it's not an option for most of my clients. I still put in requests for service at all of our sites though, so who knows, one day they may build out to us.

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

My only internet options are satellite based, cellular, or bell fibre.

Needless to say, I'm giving bell money every month.

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002

Just fund an independent ISP willing to do a fibre rollout to your house, duh. If none exist then make one.

While I'm not interested in a career change, how would I actually find them?

Yes I've googled

I'm trying to tease out a decent list of independent ISPs who might be doing this. I.e. ones who are not Teksavvy or Lightspeed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

You can use services like

https://www.findinternet.ca/en/vancouver-british-columbia and http://www.canadianisp.ca/cgi-bin/ispsearch.cgi?f=Search&p=BC

But truthfully you probably won't find anyone running FTTH to anything but new construction condos because no one but the big three have the money to do that kind of rollout, hence the sarcasm.

Also, you can use "-" rather than "not" in Google searches to exclude a term https://www.google.com/search?q=fibre+to+the+home+bC+-telus+-bell

infernal machines fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Dec 18, 2019