Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

"I dont fully understand football contracts but you can just be outright cut if you're shit right? With no penalties? Hockey needs that."

I Am Marc Bergevin IRL

So we're migrating away from our own server at work to parent company's overseas one. Performance is poo poo, but I'm told we have dedicated fiber in the building. Talking to ISP today, I learn our contract from 2017 was signed for...20mbps. turns out, contract is up, and the guy offers me 100mbps parallel for what we're paying now. That sounds alright I guess even though it's still not enough, not by today's standards, not for fiber, not for an enterprise environment.

Anyway, (I'm still new here) he sends me the new contract. You'll never loving guess how much a month we've been paying for god drat 20mbps. I was told after the fact that our price reflects the dedicated line they had to install for us (there's no residential fiber in the area)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

$1400?

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

Enterprise fibre is expensive af. TELUS charges like $900 for 3mbps so yeah I'd agree with the guess of $1400.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

"I dont fully understand football contracts but you can just be outright cut if you're shit right? With no penalties? Hockey needs that."

I Am Marc Bergevin IRL

gently caress this world/country I dunno. Its half that

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

the instrument of man's contempt for his fellow man, forever

That's not entirely crazy, if they amortized the cost of the install into the price. usually that should be covered in three to five years though, I think.

It's about $500/mo for 100Mbit fibre in most places I've seen here in the GTA

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

And I'm only saying this because I care.

There are a lot of decaffeinated brands on the market today that are just as tasty as the real thing.

Fun Shoe

2017 hotness: gigabit internet, mid tier TV service with PVR, home phone, all for $99/mo.

2020 shitness: 50 megabit internet, bottom tier TV with PVR, all for $115/mo.

Thanks, Bell. Thell.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Soiled Meat

Paying for TV

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma

Lipstick Apathy

The only time I watch cable tv is when I'm in a hotel, I turn it off in disgust after a few commercial breaks. I watch a few OTA channels and the ads are less annoying somehow.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

And I'm only saying this because I care.

There are a lot of decaffeinated brands on the market today that are just as tasty as the real thing.

Fun Shoe

Trigger finger on the mute button is the only way.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

You're Goddamned right I support Medicare for all.

teethgrinder posted:

Paying for TV

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Woo, CRTC mandated unlimited options are finally being offered* here thanks to millions of dollars the local monopoly has managed to get out of them. Now to take a big sip of coffee and check what it would cost me to get one of those plans.

quote:

At 50 Mbps download speeds, the existing Internet 50 package with 300 GB monthly data cap costs $110.95 per month. That will go up to $160.95 per month with unlimited data (and upload speeds will increase from four Mbps to 10 Mbps.)

https://cabinradio.ca/47190/news/no...ted-data-plans/

* - If approved by the CRTC. Hopefully they weigh in and say, "C'mon, no." but I'm not holding my breath.

We all had unlimited for 3 months earlier this year because of the pandemic and I don't think anything broke. Take your millions and just don't charge me any more money please (I know that isn't how this works).