Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

So we're migrating away from our own server at work to parent company's overseas one. Performance is poo poo, but I'm told we have dedicated fiber in the building. Talking to ISP today, I learn our contract from 2017 was signed for...20mbps. turns out, contract is up, and the guy offers me 100mbps parallel for what we're paying now. That sounds alright I guess even though it's still not enough, not by today's standards, not for fiber, not for an enterprise environment.

Anyway, (I'm still new here) he sends me the new contract. You'll never loving guess how much a month we've been paying for god drat 20mbps. I was told after the fact that our price reflects the dedicated line they had to install for us (there's no residential fiber in the area)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

$1400?

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib
Enterprise fibre is expensive af. TELUS charges like $900 for 3mbps so yeah I'd agree with the guess of $1400.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

gently caress this world/country I dunno. Its half that

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
That's not entirely crazy, if they amortized the cost of the install into the price. usually that should be covered in three to five years though, I think.

It's about $500/mo for 100Mbit fibre in most places I've seen here in the GTA

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
2017 hotness: gigabit internet, mid tier TV service with PVR, home phone, all for $99/mo.

2020 shitness: 50 megabit internet, bottom tier TV with PVR, all for $115/mo.

Thanks, Bell. Thell.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Paying for TV

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy
The only time I watch cable tv is when I'm in a hotel, I turn it off in disgust after a few commercial breaks. I watch a few OTA channels and the ads are less annoying somehow.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Trigger finger on the mute button is the only way.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

teethgrinder posted:

Paying for TV

:hmmyes: :sever:

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Woo, CRTC mandated unlimited options are finally being offered* here thanks to millions of dollars the local monopoly has managed to get out of them. Now to take a big sip of coffee and check what it would cost me to get one of those plans.

quote:

At 50 Mbps download speeds, the existing Internet 50 package – with 300 GB monthly data cap – costs $110.95 per month. That will go up to $160.95 per month with unlimited data (and upload speeds will increase from four Mbps to 10 Mbps.)

https://cabinradio.ca/47190/news/northwestel-reveals-prices-of-unlimited-data-plans/

* - If approved by the CRTC. Hopefully they weigh in and say, "C'mon, no." but I'm not holding my breath.

We all had unlimited for 3 months earlier this year because of the pandemic and I don't think anything broke. Take your millions and just don't charge me any more money please (I know that isn't how this works).

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
Telus is running "PureFibre" (lol) to our building in Vancouver. I am currently serviced by Novus. We currently have a phone + TV + internet bundle. Should I avoid Telus? I am going to at least play them against each other for a better package from Novus.

edit - wow, it sucks, way more expensive than Novus. My bundle was already at $150 and it keeps trying to force me in to a 2 year term. I only pay $105 right now without a contract.

cowofwar fucked around with this message at 06:38 on Oct 28, 2020

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

PureFibre and Novus both use the same GPON (gigabit passive optical network) technology.

CaptainCanuck
Feb 19, 2010

cowofwar posted:

Telus is running "PureFibre" (lol) to our building in Vancouver. I am currently serviced by Novus. We currently have a phone + TV + internet bundle. Should I avoid Telus? I am going to at least play them against each other for a better package from Novus.

edit - wow, it sucks, way more expensive than Novus. My bundle was already at $150 and it keeps trying to force me in to a 2 year term. I only pay $105 right now without a contract.

Stop using Telus in any fashion if you have good alternatives. I would say Novus is a great alternative. Support smaller businesses, break up the billionaires. Don't "play one off the other". Go do that with Telus Bell and Rogers. Don't do that to your local ISP, it's loving annoying when they're trying to deliver you a good product better than the scam that is Telus.

CaptainCanuck fucked around with this message at 07:42 on Oct 28, 2020

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

It feels like it's finally sinking in to non-tech people, to not fall for the undercutting promotions from the big 3.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
I haven't been paying attention for a while, is the CRTC looking at opening incumbents' GPON networks to 3rd parties, or is the reason they pushed this out so rapidly because they specifically don't have to?

unknown
Nov 16, 2002
Ain't got no stinking title yet!

I don't know Rogers, but I wouldn't be surprised if higher speeds have a different category, or even could be unregulated (and therefore not subject to a tariff).

The cbb pricing is "fixed", so a provider can have 1000 customers and only buy 100mbps of cbb bandwidth to Rogers that all of those users must cram through. If you see a provider that has bandwidth complaints at peak hours, it's usually this limit that's being hit.

But yes, if a user is torrenting Linux iso files at peak rate 24x7, then their circuit cost would effectively include the cbb usage and be a money loser for them.

Isps can get around that by going deaggregated, but then there's more backhaul circuits involved.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Fido offered me $25 off a month to stay on their 150/10 plan or make them eat two courier fees, take $200 in gift cards and get $37.50 off per month instead.

This must be the sort of galaxy brained business thinking they teach at the Ryerson Ted Rogers School Of Throwing Away Marketing Budget Dollars While Your Executives gently caress Over The Company To Make Their New Signup-Based Bonuses.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Update: success! Thank you for the free money fido of Canada. I look forward to this same rigamarole next year.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

shadow puppet of a posted:

Fido offered me $25 off a month to stay on their 150/10 plan or make them eat two courier fees, take $200 in gift cards and get $37.50 off per month instead.

This must be the sort of galaxy brained business thinking they teach at the Ryerson Ted Rogers School Of Throwing Away Marketing Budget Dollars While Your Executives gently caress Over The Company To Make Their New Signup-Based Bonuses.

What was the offer?

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

150up 15 down for 12 months at $37.50 per month modem rental included plus tax with no setup fees and no contract plus a $150 gift card plus a $50 gift card if you signup at a walmart and buy/return some online tchotchke.

The only people not eligible for this deal are Fido's most hated enemy, their current customers, who must ceremonially cancel service for one whole day.

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE
You really wanted to go thru all that poo poo?

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE
What’s a tchotchke

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Nitr0 posted:

What’s a tchotchke

It's this guy.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Nitr0 posted:

What’s a tchotchke

It's a knicknack. Or as the British like to put it: "a piece of useless tat".

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Nitr0 posted:

You really wanted to go thru all that poo poo?

Oh I see you haven't met shadow puppet.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

It was two phone calls, a modem dripoff, and a day of waiting for pirolator and some tethering to my phone for precious data.

Well worth it for the cheapest non-retention cable plan and the opportunity to get riled up about a mail in rebate tier of scummyness from an emailed master card code company that would win a Rogers rfp for rip-off services.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

shadow puppet of a posted:

150up 15 down for 12 months at $37.50 per month modem rental included plus tax with no setup fees and no contract plus a $150 gift card plus a $50 gift card if you signup at a walmart and buy/return some online tchotchke.

The only people not eligible for this deal are Fido's most hated enemy, their current customers, who must ceremonially cancel service for one whole day.

Tell me more, because TekSavvy's 150/15 plan now costs as much as Fido's at $75/month, and I'm not even getting a gift card.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Mister Facetious posted:

Tell me more, because TekSavvy's 150/15 plan now costs as much as Fido's at $75/month, and I'm not even getting a gift card.

You just call fido and ask for it? "Gimme that 150down deal for half price for 12 months and gimme a $150 gift card too" you say, and they do after a credit check and confirming your addresses both physical and email. You can then setup a login to their website and setup your own autopay though a CC or whatever but there is no extra discount for it. Your modem will arrive next day unless you live in Batchewana or something.

The cheating wamart for an extra $50 via tchochkie laundering can be found in depth on RFD. you can qualify legit if you buy a $20 smart bulb as its "online" but then your only ahead $30 for setting foot in a walmart:

More info here if you need it.

https://forums.redflagdeals.com/fido-fido-150m-37-50-plus-150-gift-card-new-client-back-again-2420912/

shadow puppet of a fucked around with this message at 05:42 on Nov 30, 2020

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy
I switched over to bell fibre and in lots of ways its the best you can get but man their peering sucks. Cloudflare is one of the largest cdns with servers in every major city and somehow my latency to 1.1.1.1 is over 100ms because its goes to california for some reason, 8.8.8.8 is about 8ms.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

FTTP should have pretty drat good support, right? 'lol your route to cloudflare is broken' should be a bit of a priority for any reasonable ISP, and a quick fix.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Pivo posted:

reasonable ISP,

So, not any Canadian ones then.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Mister Facetious posted:

So, not any Canadian ones then.

Oh I don't know, Beanfield does residential FTTP in Toronto and I worked at a company, we had machines at 151 Front in their suite, they were great, they care about their network for sure. I've heard nothing but good things about Beanfield's residential service.

TekSavvy used to have their technical people on DSLR forums, if it wasn't last-mile related but on their side of the network they would be super responsive about fixing it. Start.ca's people on the DSLR forums care about their network too as far as I know, I don't have their service but read some of their downtime threads in the past.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I was being (mostly) facetious.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Oh, I got that part. It's the thread title, after all. We know.

acetcx
Jul 21, 2011

Perplx posted:

I switched over to bell fibre and in lots of ways its the best you can get but man their peering sucks. Cloudflare is one of the largest cdns with servers in every major city and somehow my latency to 1.1.1.1 is over 100ms because its goes to california for some reason, 8.8.8.8 is about 8ms.

I've also noticed that the peering isn't consistent throughout the day and that it HAS gotten a lot worse in the last 3 days. Take a look at these graphs from my home internet on Bell Fibre in Toronto. I'm also monitoring 8.8.8.8 and that one never goes above like 5ms.

Last 2 days:

Last 16 days:

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

acetcx posted:

I've also noticed that the peering isn't consistent throughout the day and that it HAS gotten a lot worse in the last 3 days. Take a look at these graphs from my home internet on Bell Fibre in Toronto. I'm also monitoring 8.8.8.8 and that one never goes above like 5ms.

Last 2 days:

Last 16 days:

I've been using Cloudflare for a while now, and it has definitely worsened in the last month, with absolutely huge lag spikes that cause streaming apps on my TV to hang, and dropping me from P2P hosted rounds in Warframe.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

acetcx posted:

Last 2 days:

Last 16 days:

What are you using to monitor, out of curiosity?

acetcx
Jul 21, 2011

Bieeanshee posted:

What are you using to monitor, out of curiosity?

Just the standard homelab monitoring stuff. Telegraf to do the pinging, InfluxDB to store the data, and Grafana to make the pretty graphs. I'm running all of them as docker images on a server that runs 24/7.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!
TekSavvy has a petition up to lobby the CRTC to enforce their prior ruling around the big 3 gouging independent ISPs for access. It’s a form to fill out and it auto emails your MP basically saying WTF.

Intarwebs are too drat expensive in this country.

https://blogs.teksavvy.com/hey-crtc-start-2021-off-right-with-more-affordable-internet