Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

codo27 posted:

Name one person on YouTube, who's successful just from YouTube, that's useful. You can't. Videos made by useful people who exist outside the internet are cool. Everything else is quite literally filler

Musicians and other artists aren't useful. got it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe
I've only met Linus briefly through a mutual friend I was visiting in BC, I don't really follow his Youtube channel much but I used to enjoy his build videos with NCIX. Seemed like a totally normal guy and was good humored when I gave him the gears about running production on raid 0 without backups.

I do like that he will call out big manufacturers and support smaller channels, I saw one recently with Nvidia and Hardware Unboxed.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Let us not forget Linuses greatest sin. He's a full-time 24/7 socks and sandals guy.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

codo27 posted:

Name one person on YouTube, who's successful just from YouTube, that's useful. You can't. Videos made by useful people who exist outside the internet are cool. Everything else is quite literally filler

This is some dumb grognard poo poo. YouTube is the new way and there's tons of useful people on there.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Vintersorg posted:

This is some dumb grognard poo poo. YouTube is the new way and there's tons of useful people on there.

so i don't know if i agree or not but op was a little more nuanced than that. the suggestion is that the most useful videos are from people who are successful by some metric outside of youtube and leverage that expertise to also make videos.

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE
I like the vids where man builds thing like the golf club or pool cue that doesn’t miss.

Don’t know his name, sry

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE

Mister Facetious posted:

If you get the chance, read Michael Lewis' book "Flash Boys: A Wall Street Revolt". Some high speed traders just dug the trench and didn't bother with permits. :haw:

Which is weird cause HFT use wireless don’t they? There’s less latency compared to fibre.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Nitr0 posted:

Which is weird cause HFT use wireless don’t they? There’s less latency compared to fibre.

He mentions a wireless setup later in the book, as a matter of fact. But as I recall, the first guy was a dude that wanted a direct fibre line to the the trading computers from his office, ignoring any hubs or or the vagaries of traffic routing for the quickest time possible. But those are really the outliers compared to the people that simply pay millions to be a few millimeters closer inside the actual server rooms. :shepspends:

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 12:08 on Feb 27, 2021

spoof
Jul 8, 2004

Nitr0 posted:

I like the vids where man builds thing like the golf club or pool cue that doesn’t miss.

Don’t know his name, sry

Stuff Made Here

unknown
Nov 16, 2002
Ain't got no stinking title yet!

Nitr0 posted:

Over long distances only (and its microwave) as that's where the difference in wavelengths starts showing up in timing (which a bunch is lost changing back to electrical/fiber at the endpoints).

Think chicago/new york kind of distances.

Anything shorter is a demand by a coke fueled traders.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

For goons in the Manitoba area, how good is Shaw internet and home phone services? I've been with MTS (well, BellMTS) for years now, and I signed up for their Fibe 100 last July, the guy came out to hook it up on July 2nd, and it turned out there was a grounding fault with the second line. He put in a service request to have the line dug up and fixed, and then I heard nothing from them. Every month I was billed for the Fibe 100, I called them and they reverted it to the old price (only thing I'll give BellMTS, the billing department never questioned that and always fixed the price right away), and both the billing and technical department emailed the "back end team" to contact me. I never heard anything from them, its now 8 monthes later and I'm looking at my options for other companies that offer internet, home phone and cellphone.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Randalor posted:

For goons in the Manitoba area, how good is Shaw internet and home phone services? I've been with MTS (well, BellMTS) for years now, and I signed up for their Fibe 100 last July, the guy came out to hook it up on July 2nd, and it turned out there was a grounding fault with the second line. He put in a service request to have the line dug up and fixed, and then I heard nothing from them. Every month I was billed for the Fibe 100, I called them and they reverted it to the old price (only thing I'll give BellMTS, the billing department never questioned that and always fixed the price right away), and both the billing and technical department emailed the "back end team" to contact me. I never heard anything from them, its now 8 monthes later and I'm looking at my options for other companies that offer internet, home phone and cellphone.

Try getting in touch with the office of the president, or heck send a well worded email directly to the CEO. Maybe even try their official accounts on social media would get someone's attention.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
Bell is getting pretty desperate. I just received this in the mail, completely unsolicited.

Sure, just send me a SIM card for whatever, right?

originalnickname
Mar 9, 2005

tree

unknown posted:

Over long distances only (and its microwave) as that's where the difference in wavelengths starts showing up in timing (which a bunch is lost changing back to electrical/fiber at the endpoints).

Think chicago/new york kind of distances.

Anything shorter is a demand by a coke fueled traders.

You're leaving out switching and routing overhead.

Although light travels... 31% slower through fiber than air, that'll be negligible over short distances if these places are set up like they should be. The point of these wireless setups isn't to get away from slow light through fiber, it's to reduce hops to the exchange.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Randalor posted:

For goons in the Manitoba area, how good is Shaw internet and home phone services?

Like anywhere it depends on where you live. I've been with them since they bought out Videon and outside of one weirdly specific issue fifteen years ago I've never had any technical issues, as long as the lines to and in your home are good you should be fine as long as your neighbourhood doesn't have anything going on like node saturation. I haven't had any issues when needing to talk to someone for support, but that's just because I know which wheels to grease from working there in the past.

That one issue was something causing my modem's DHCP lease to only last an hour and I would get booted from games whenever it would refresh, every hour at the exact same minute. I think it was affecting everyone in town but I was probably one of the only people who noticed or bothered to call in about it, and because of that and being meticulous with my notes I got a credit to the tune of around a thousand bucks. Years later after I started working for them I talked to the guys I was dealing with for it and it turned out the fix involved a headend upgrade that was a couple hundred grand. I definitely cost them money through things like labour disputes but I'm kind of proud of the magnitude of my effect on the balance sheets before I ever stepped foot in the building.

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Nobody puts Phil in a corner.

infernal machines posted:

Bell is getting pretty desperate. I just received this in the mail, completely unsolicited.

Sure, just send me a SIM card for whatever, right?

This is like when lovely credit card companies did this 2 decades ago. send you a fuckin' unsolicited credit card

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Slotducks posted:

This is like when lovely credit card companies did this 2 decades ago. send you a fuckin' unsolicited credit card

Pretty much.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

It’s worse than that. Someone thinks infernal is a Bitcoin holder bigwig and is trying to snipe his coins.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

It is not lost on me that everything needed to activate that SIM on my account and hijack my real phone number was included in that letter.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

It is not lost on me that everything needed to activate that SIM on my account and hijack my real phone number was included in that letter.
Sounds like something to complain about very loudly on social media if you have such things. If it's in any way tied to your real account that's some secfuck of a high order.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Chris Knight posted:

Sounds like something to complain about very loudly on social media if you have such things. If it's in any way tied to your real account that's some secfuck of a high order.

I don't have any social media accounts, but yeah, it's a secfuck. The "promo code" is the phone number associated with my internet service account, also the account number. Everything else they ask for to verify your identity if you call in is in the top left there.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I don't have any social media accounts, but yeah, it's a secfuck. The "promo code" is the phone number associated with my internet service account, also the account number. Everything else they ask for to verify your identity if you call in is in the top left there.

Might be worth making a complaint to the actual crtc about it, too. Imagine someone swiping that out of your mail.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

I think I will actually

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
I kind of want to try Starlink up at the cottage because there's fuckall for cell signal there, a landline costs $100/month and Xplornet is the same price monthly. Dropping $600 on equipment and $100/month on service with no temporary disconnect option and giving Elon Musk money are all things that make me want to vomit though.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

I think I will actually

Look forward to infernals law where signing up for a phone plan first means a trip to Service Canada to pick up half of a pre authorized PIN number

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE

DariusLikewise posted:

I kind of want to try Starlink up at the cottage because there's fuckall for cell signal there, a landline costs $100/month and Xplornet is the same price monthly. Dropping $600 on equipment and $100/month on service with no temporary disconnect option and giving Elon Musk money are all things that make me want to vomit though.

As of right now if you have no cell signal then starlink is your best bet 🤮

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon

Less Fat Luke posted:

Does Bell give you the PPPOE credentials when you get fiber? I want to bypass the Homehub but I'm not sure if I have to bribe the tech or something.

Self-replying but got the service set up and bypassed - the tech would not give me the credentials but 24 hours after it was setup I could login to Bell and reset my Internet credentials (PPPOE password). Popped that into my UDM Pro with VLAN tag 35 and boom, Homehub is in the closet.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Finding out Beanfield made a mistake and cancelling Bell after less than a week :awesomelon:

The poor lady who had to call me and offer a lower yet still not-matching price, though.... :(

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous—got me?
Can someone on Telus fibre check if cdc.gov loads for you? I’m trying to troubleshoot something and it looks like it’s a problem on the ISP end.

Evis
Feb 28, 2007
Flying Spaghetti Monster

Works for me

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous—got me?
Strange, it dies at the same hop on the Telus looking glass tool as it does on my home network.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Randalor posted:

For goons in the Manitoba area, how good is Shaw internet and home phone services?

Internet service is way better than MTS. Teksavvy uses the shaw network if you check out their plans

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Shaw came out and hooked up the internet yesterday. Technician was here for about an hour and half or so, and even though he had to out in a work order to have our line replaced because it's a much older line, I'm still looking at download speeds ranging from 2 to 9 times faster than what MTS was SUPPOSED to be providing me (wireless is getting 200-300 Mb/s, computer plugged in directly to it got about 900 Mb/s. I did a test upload on YouTube with a file I knew would take 10+ hours with MTS... it took 10 minutes. Yeah, even if it's not as good as Shaw promised, I'm still far happier with the service provided by Shaw. I'm just waiting for the home phone to finish being transfered to Shaw, then I'm canceling the home phone and internet with MTS.

Edit: Just to be clear, when I said it's not as good as Shaw promised, I meant that the technician said it was older line that would have to be replaced, I know the actual download speeds on wifi would vary depending on where I am in the house in relation to the setup, as well as the specific device I'm using.

Randalor fucked around with this message at 13:06 on Mar 10, 2021

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Canadian internet access gets shittier https://www.cbc.ca/news/business/rogers-signs-deal-buy-shaw-1.5949825

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

So, is there like, no one in charge of preventing the exploitation of a monopoly position in Canada, or what?

I want to know whom in the fed I'm supposed to tell to go gently caress themselves as my monthly bill goes up.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Well, the CRTC is still in charge.

Are they going to do anything to fulfill their mandate? No, probably not in this case. Or any other case.

But it's still their show.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Mister Facetious posted:

I want to know whom in the fed I'm supposed to tell to go gently caress themselves as my monthly bill goes up.

But he wields a negative option on caring.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Well, the CRTC is still in charge.

Are they going to do anything to fulfill their mandate? No, probably not in this case. Or any other case.

But it's still their show.

They do so loving little to begin with that I honestly wasn't sure if mergers were part of their purview.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

In theory they have a mandate to ensure a robust competitive landscape. In practice, regulatory capture is a bitch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.
The Competition Bureau generally is responsible for approving or denying mergers. The CRTC currently has a role specifically when it comes to the ownership of broadcasters or cable companies (C-10 might change that a little), or the remaining limits on foreign ownership in telecom, but mostly this particular deal is actually the Competition Bureau's to accept or reject.