Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bigmandan
Sep 11, 2001

lol internet
College Slice

Zigmidge posted:

Canadian internet is really bad but some resellers are stand-up companies. Please review and match your prospective ISPs against this list:

https://openmedia.org/en/ca/our-supporters

Don't forget that when you pay for service from the incumbents, you are paying their lawyers to fight against openmedia, the crtc and that rad package you managed to argue out of the incumbents' retention department.

Being on a donor list is not really indicative of much really. Yay they donated?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

It's a shame the middle class and those trying hard to join the middle class are so unclear about what they expect out of the telcos. If they could reach a consensus, the government could do something about the issue, but alas, the people just can't agree.

I would imagine the divide is perfectly along party lines, with Liberals wanting to give them the guillotine, and Conservatives wanting to send them to the gallows, but with no clear way forward, we just can't do anything :shrug:

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

bigmandan posted:

Being on a donor list is not really indicative of much really. Yay they donated?

Ah, but you see, Teksavvy is on that list

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.
I mean it's a pretty easy and concise way to see who goes to bat for you but you're welcome to look for their recorded testimonies to the crtc in many fights against robetel. You're especially welcome to tell us all again about that one time a cs rep said neener neener to you so now you happily pay rogers every month.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
I'm sorry that you feel it's a personal attack on you to state that Teksavvy has issues with their network and their customer service, and other independents offer a better value proposition.

I mean, I'm even a Teksavvy customer (I pay for my mother's internet, which is from Teksavvy). I just don't feel the need to lionize them like some people here.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.
I agree that people ITT often give Teksavvy too much credit for their advocacy and overlook their, hmm, occasionally spotty record with the service that we ostensibly actually pay them for.

On the other hand, Start, a much better ISP, is also on that list, so you can potentially have both good service AND have it provided by people with Correct Opinions!

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Yeah, Start is pretty drat solid.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Start is the best reseller. I love them now. Everyone switch to start because they let me drag an old modem out of my closet and save $5.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

shadow puppet of a posted:

Start is the best reseller. I love them now. Everyone switch to start because they let me drag an old modem out of my closet and save $5.

Been with Start for 5 years now and they're good. At high speeds Rogers can be a better value, but gently caress Rogers. Really.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Do we know yet when the resellers will have access to the fth infrastructure?

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE
They have access now but the prices are so insane nobody would bother to sell it to you.

Lobby the crtc if you want more action

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

FTH?
Faster Than... Hell?

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Lobok posted:

FTH?
Faster Than... Hell?

Fiber to the Home.

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else

Lobok posted:

FTH?
Faster Than... Hell?

Technically, yes.

bigmandan
Sep 11, 2001

lol internet
College Slice
So the ISP I work for is laying down fibre optics throughout the city. Just found out Bell has been sending out people to where we are currently installing, claiming the fibre is theirs and trying to get people to sign up for a 3 year contract on Fibe (DSL). Holy poo poo.

John Capslocke
Jun 5, 2007

bigmandan posted:

So the ISP I work for is laying down fibre optics throughout the city. Just found out Bell has been sending out people to where we are currently installing, claiming the fibre is theirs and trying to get people to sign up for a 3 year contract on Fibe (DSL). Holy poo poo.

Nothing new, welcome to Canada, where telco's will say literally anything to get you (back) as a customer.

I've "recently had fiber installed in my area" like 5-10 times between Bell and local cable company.

bigmandan
Sep 11, 2001

lol internet
College Slice

John Capslocke posted:

Nothing new, welcome to Canada, where telco's will say literally anything to get you (back) as a customer.

I've "recently had fiber installed in my area" like 5-10 times between Bell and local cable company.

Found out more on this. The people being sent out are not the typical sales people, but construction contractors in the city known for doing other underground work (utilities, etc..).

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/thenational/canadians-pay-big-fees-for-internet-so-why-don-t-they-switch-companies-1.4596459

Largely what people here already know, but an interesting 5 minutes of video basically to confirm what you figure already. :corsair:

Still would jump as soon as someone can offer me good service on my FTH telus infrastructure.

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE
Canadians are retarded when it comes to their internet, cell, phone, tv.

but also, that small isp has no advertising budget??? What. 7 employees and no advertising budget.

I've found the same thing regarding pricing. I've priced myself higher than other competition in my area and find that lots of consumers will pick me even with the higher pricing, as we have higher speeds, more data, etc.

Whatever though, nothing will ever change. Telus and Bell gonna run the crtc in circles regarding third party fibre access and you won't see any tpia's on that infrastructure for years still. Once the majority of the populous is on fibre they're gonna price hike like you aint ever seen before. Watch out now.

Bob NewSCART
Feb 1, 2012

Outstanding afternoon. "I've often said there's nothing better for the inside of a man than the outside of a horse."

Why is the CRTC so loving trash?

Like why do they literally not care about Canadians at all

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Bob NewSCART posted:

Because they answer only to our politicians who would sell you for spare parts for $1,500.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Bob NewSCART posted:

Isn't it literally run by retired telco execs?

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

Mister Facetious posted:

Isn't it literally run by retired telco execs?

Former employers of the eight current members of the CRTC, from their website bios. I tried to put them in rough chronological order but the bios are messily written and I don't care enough to go hunt down their LinkedIns or whatever:

Scott (Chair): Competition Bureau, CRTC staff, Telesat, Call-Net, Telus, CCTA
Laizner (Vice-Chair, Telecom): private legal practice, Dept of Justice, Dept. of Foreign Affairs, Dept. of Public Works, CIDA, CRTC staff
Simard (Vice-Chair, Broadcasting): Montreal universities, Quebec gov't, Quebec small business lobby group, Teleglobe, ITU, Dept. of Justice
MacDonald: Office of the Premier of NB, Rogers
Lafontaine: McCarthy Tetreault communications law group, CRTC staff, In-house counsel for "independent broadcasters", content creator lobby group
Simpson: Advertising and radio broadcasting, public affairs consulting, Angus Reid
Dupras: entertainment lawyer at Heenan Blaikie, former CRTC commissioner, business lawyer in private practice
Vennard: University of Calgary professor in communications and culture

Deciding whether this counts as "run by retired telco execs" is left as an exercise for the reader.

Nitr0 posted:

Canadians are retarded when it comes to their internet, cell, phone, tv.

but also, that small isp has no advertising budget??? What. 7 employees and no advertising budget.

I've found the same thing regarding pricing. I've priced myself higher than other competition in my area and find that lots of consumers will pick me even with the higher pricing, as we have higher speeds, more data, etc.

The intent of CRTC policy in both internet and wireless for at least the past decade (probably longer, honestly, but I've only been watching or working in this field for the past decade) has been to remove barriers for people to switch to TPIAs or new wireless entrants - making the not unreasonable assumption that if they can compete on price, then Canadians would switch to them, then they can eventually build their own infrastructure like Coextro is doing in that video, and become even more credible competitors, and so on..

The problem with this has been that, despite how easy it is, and despite how cheap (and, despite that, still good, at least for wired Internet) the smaller providers are, most people outside this thread prefer to stick with an incumbent and complain about how much they pay instead. I have honestly been curious about why (though I don't know if that video really hits all of the reasons, not sure that the issue is about psychology to the extent that it portrays).

Dallan Invictus fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Mar 29, 2018

Bob NewSCART
Feb 1, 2012

Outstanding afternoon. "I've often said there's nothing better for the inside of a man than the outside of a horse."

Dallan Invictus posted:

Former employers of the eight current members of the CRTC, from their website bios. I tried to put them in rough chronological order but the bios are messily written and I don't care enough to go hunt down their LinkedIns or whatever:

Scott (Chair): Competition Bureau, CRTC staff, Telesat, Call-Net, Telus, CCTA
Laizner (Vice-Chair, Telecom): private legal practice, Dept of Justice, Dept. of Foreign Affairs, Dept. of Public Works, CIDA, CRTC staff
Simard (Vice-Chair, Broadcasting): Montreal universities, Quebec gov't, Quebec small business lobby group, Teleglobe, ITU, Dept. of Justice
MacDonald: Office of the Premier of NB, Rogers
Lafontaine: McCarthy Tetreault communications law group, CRTC staff, In-house counsel for "independent broadcasters", content creator lobby group
Simpson: Advertising and radio broadcasting, public affairs consulting, Angus Reid
Dupras: entertainment lawyer at Heenan Blaikie, former CRTC commissioner, business lawyer in private practice
Vennard: University of Calgary professor in communications and culture

Deciding whether this counts as "run by retired telco execs" is left as an exercise for the reader.

The intent of CRTC policy in both internet and wireless for at least the past decade (probably longer, honestly, but I've only been watching or working in this field for the past decade) has been to remove barriers for people to switch to TPIAs or new wireless entrants - making the not unreasonable assumption that if they can compete on price, then Canadians would switch to them, then they can eventually build their own infrastructure like Coextro is doing in that video, and become even more credible competitors, and so on..

The problem with this has been that, despite how easy it is, and despite how cheap (and, despite that, still good) the smaller providers are, most people outside this thread prefer to stick with an incumbent and complain about how much they pay instead. I have honestly been curious about why (though I don't know if that video really hits all of the reasons, not sure that the issue is about psychology to the extent that it portrays).

? Lol, all of the independent ISP options in my area of Toronto are loving garbage so I don’t think it’s just a matter of people preferring to stick with something they don’t like and complain about it.

This just reads like a condescending post about how if you were smarter, you wouldn’t actually have any issues with this massive issue at all.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

Well, you know more about the options in your specific part of Toronto than I do, but I didn't think they're much different than the independent options I have here in Ottawa, or even when I lived out west, (which have all been pretty solid for a fair price, unlike, say, those poor rural fuckers stuck using Xplornet or one of those others that tops out at 5-15 megabits on a good day). Maybe I just have lower standards: I'm fine with my unlimited 150Mbps package and don't see myself wanting more unless prices drop significantly.

But I never said there isn't an issue. What I did say is that what policy types have expected to happen via mandating wholesale access to the telcos' Internet infrastructure has not happened, and that I wondered why (because knowing why is going to be key to solving the problem). I suppose I can come off as condescending when I talk about things in my profession, that's part of the reason I don't post much here.

Squatch Ambassador
Nov 12, 2008

What? Never seen a shaved Squatch before?
The only smaller ISPs in my area that can compete with Shaw or Telus look like they're just shell companies for Shaw. They use Shaw modems and technicians for installs and have exactly the same pricing.

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE

Dallan Invictus posted:

The problem with this has been that, despite how easy it is, and despite how cheap (and, despite that, still good, at least for wired Internet) the smaller providers are, most people outside this thread prefer to stick with an incumbent and complain about how much they pay instead. I have honestly been curious about why (though I don't know if that video really hits all of the reasons, not sure that the issue is about psychology to the extent that it portrays).

That's the rub though. If the CRTC was serious about actually letting smaller companies build networks they would get serious about wireless spectrum costs. It's coming to a golden age for wireless, you have 5-10gb radios out now that can go about 2km, you have lots of new radio makers and the bits/hertz is always getting higher while the costs go down. However, you are required to pay industry canada a ridiculous amount of money for your links in the licensed spectrum as you're paying based on an outdated method based on ds1 capability. (250mb = $3500 per year)

If the CRTC wants to foster growth and help smaller companies, then fix the stupid wireless license model. I feel like wireless is an integral part of getting an alternative internet to people, and based on what I've seen with TPIA and the CRTC, the glacial pace they move helps nobody. Nothing has really changed since 2007 when I first started doing this.

I've apparently got as many customers as the guy in that video, but our entire network is completely separated from Telus. We don't run through their phone lines, we don't use anything Telus in a customer's home. Our only connection to the big T is having to use them as a bgp provider since there's nothing else in the rest of the province.

Nitr0 fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Mar 29, 2018

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE

Nitr0 fucked around with this message at 07:43 on Jan 29, 2024

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

Nitr0 posted:

If the CRTC wants to foster growth and help smaller companies, then fix the stupid wireless license model. I feel like wireless is an integral part of getting an alternative internet to people, and based on what I've seen with TPIA and the CRTC, the glacial pace they move helps nobody. Nothing has really changed since 2007 when I first started doing this.

The CRTC doesn't have jurisdiction over wireless spectrum licensing, though, that's always been Industry Canada's thing. I imagine the government likes the money they get from spectrum licences (though obviously the cellular spectrum auctions are more of a cash cow) enough that whichever party is in power and whichever suit they give Industry to (even fuckin' Bernier) has not changed this part.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
I’m thinking of switching over to teksavvy now that they have 150Mb/s in my area (Lower Mainland Bc) once my Shaw contract is up in June. Any other competitors worth a look in the area? I saw Uniserve as well.

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE
Uniserve, Teksavvy, etc all will resell shaw for 150 so have at it.

nuh-uh no way
Mar 27, 2010

priznat posted:

Im thinking of switching over to teksavvy now that they have 150Mb/s in my area (Lower Mainland Bc) once my Shaw contract is up in June. Any other competitors worth a look in the area? I saw Uniserve as well.

I'm in the same boat but in Edmonton. I'll be looking at teksavvy once mine is up in September.

Kachunkachunk
Jun 6, 2011
Anyone in the lower mainland out West, and on Shaw/cable infrastructure, having some issues with their line rates over the weekend?

I'm on Lightspeed via Shaw, and now seeing variable downstream rates from 50-150mbit, which is correct, but 1-3Mbit upstream which is garbage out of the subscribed 15Mbit.
Signal/noise levels look fine for my modem, and nothing has overall changed on my end, so I'm thinking there must be a Lightspeed/Cipherkey/Shaw problem, perhaps. To rule out my home infrastructure, I tried the whole computer-directly-attached-to-the-modem dealio and saw no improvements, so I'll have something to go with when I call up Lightspeed tomorrow.

It's also disappointing that there aren't more viable options to go to, in case I can just get off cable (it's not proving the most reliable or consistent) - Telus/resellers don't offer a comparable line rate for my area, capping at 50/10 and I'd still be needing a dry loop for it.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

priznat posted:

I’m thinking of switching over to teksavvy now that they have 150Mb/s in my area (Lower Mainland Bc) once my Shaw contract is up in June. Any other competitors worth a look in the area? I saw Uniserve as well.

If you want less hassle than a switchover, I just got off the phone with Shaw and they matched Teksavvy's price of $70 for 150 down for 2 years. Plus they're upgrading all my other poo poo with them and it'll still end up being cheaper than just switching to Teksavvy.

Could be worth it to, because Shaw certainly has a history of being "bitchy" about getting their resold service switched over to the other company. "Oh, you want a new service from us? We can be there tomorrow!", "Oh, you want to cancel? That'll take a month, and we'll still keep 'accidentally' billing you for three months after that."

Kachunkachunk
Jun 6, 2011
Well, called Lightspeed. There was not much to confirm on their end, and they weren't aware of issues. So they opened up a trouble ticket with Shaw, which reportedly wouldn't look at the ticket until tomorrow due to the holiday weekend.

So far still seeing around my correct subscription rate for downstream, but about 1-3Mbps for my upstream. Also weird is DSLreports will show a more favorable speed test, approaching about 10Mbit, but otherwise nothing in practice, nor any other speed tests, come close. Even then it's below the expected rate.

:iiam:

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE
if you're getting your rate on dsl reports then its probably nothing. Have you tried other speedtest servers? have you tried an iperf somewhere? Where's your problem lying? On an actual service or just a speedtest server?

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep

Dallan Invictus posted:

Honestly it's the way they trap people. TPIAs are stuck with offering the best price they can afford. Rogers and Bell often offer "sale" prices well below that to entice customers. They do bundle deals, they offer free addons. All to get a customer in the door. They know the psychology associated. Once a customer is on their turf it sucks to switch. You need to sort out cable TV, which the TPIA doesn't offer, so you need to ditch your bundle savings. You need to switch cable modems because Rogers wants theirs back. Bell tells you it takes a month to actually cancel service, so you'll be overlapping, and their retentions department offers a deal that isn't quite what you had before but is better than the TPIA. Your period of savings over the TPIA just ended, prices are going to be astronomical, so you take the deal and everything is right in 30 seconds, or you commit to switching.

All of this adds up to making switching off a major carrier a huge pain in the rear end. Switching between TPIAs is easy peasy. For the majors, switching off is a deliberate pain in the rear end that a family with 2.5 kids really needs to commit to.

8ender fucked around with this message at 06:36 on Apr 3, 2018

Kachunkachunk
Jun 6, 2011

Nitr0 posted:

if you're getting your rate on dsl reports then its probably nothing. Have you tried other speedtest servers? have you tried an iperf somewhere? Where's your problem lying? On an actual service or just a speedtest server?
Even DSLreports' test shows results still under by a good 5Mbit/s, but it's indeed curiously optimistic looking.

I've tried numerous Ookla/speedtest servers in the West via different systems and times of day, via direct-connection with a system attached to the modem, ISP-centric speed tests like Shaw's. And of course - practically speaking, the connection is pretty bad now - Plex streams for my friends have suffered to near uselessness, uploading to cloud services like Dropbox is a hellishly slow now, etc.

I'm almost at a point where I can't work from home, but as long as my latency remains in the double digits and upstream is consistently over 1Mbit, I should be okay (VOIP requirement).

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
TekSavvy now has cable internet in Winnipeg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mewse
May 2, 2006

DariusLikewise posted:

TekSavvy now has cable internet in Winnipeg

Sweet! Thanks for the heads up