Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
I have a client in a weird spot with Beanfield, we were pestering them for years to expand to the client's building since they were "near net" and there's about a dozen tenants in the building, but they never did bring them on to their GPON service. Then they bought out whatever was left of Cogeco data services, which my client was on, so we're now dealing directly with Beanfield anyway, except they still refuse to offer their GPON service in the building. So we're on Beanfield but we're still paying ~$600/mo. for 100Mbit fibre instead of ~$150/mo. for gigabit, because gently caress us, I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
Some days I wonder how much it would cost to set up as an ISP for just the building you're in; whether a house/apartment building/business etc, just to not have to deal with the cartel.
Set up a node outside, fiber to the building, and maybe sell any extra capacity to the neighbours, or even do it as a group buy.

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

Mister Facetious posted:

Some days I wonder how much it would cost to set up as an ISP for just the building you're in; whether a house/apartment building/business etc, just to not have to deal with the cartel.
Set up a node outside, fiber to the building, and maybe sell any extra capacity to the neighbours, or even do it as a group buy.

It's in finding a non-cartel provider for 'fiber to the building' where they aren't using it for providing service themselves (dark fiber), or having it built yourself.

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE

Mister Facetious posted:

Not very expensive. That's why you see a lot of smaller ISP's focus on MDU first. Lot cheaper to build fiber in a building than outdoors with km between houses.

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE

less than three posted:

It's in finding a non-cartel provider for 'fiber to the building' where they aren't using it for providing service themselves (dark fiber), or having it built yourself.

80GHz PTP with 10Gb/s connections are readily available now. Lots of real easy ways to do MDU deployments.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Nitr0 posted:

Not very expensive. That's why you see a lot of smaller ISP's focus on MDU first. Lot cheaper to build fiber in a building than outdoors with km between houses.

Like, this is what I want to see Linus Tech Tips tackle next. They use 10 gigabit in their office, they should just cut out the cartel and set up as their own ISP using as much bandwidth as a private setup can take for themselves. :getin:

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE
lol LTT is too scatterbrained to be an isp.

Remember that an ISP is just a connection back to a local peering exchange. There would be nothing stopping LTT from getting an ASN and dual homing their connection and selling it, then they're technically an isp.. but why?

They could lease a wave back to VanIX and get an ASN, put a couple routers in and hey you're an ISP.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

To clarify, I don't mean an ISP as a business to others, just themselves.

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE
What's the point? You're only an ISP if you're selling to other people, otherwise you're a customer.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Nitr0 posted:

What's the point? You're only an ISP if you're selling to other people, otherwise you're a customer.

In layman's terms, what would it take to set up and own one's connection to the greater internet, preferably without paying the big four a recurring fee, if possible.

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE
You need to figure out a way to get from Point A to Point B. Either through cable, or through wireless.

The only way without paying the big four would be to run your own fibre physically the 50km back to an internet exchange

You're never going to be able to avoid leasing on existing providers fibre which is going to be Telus, Rogers, Bell, Shaw.

You could do this wirelessly if you can find enough points to setup a POP and backhaul yourself back into town, but spectrum will be extremely scarce to non existent.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Nitr0 posted:

You need to figure out a way to get from Point A to Point B. Either through cable, or through wireless.

The only way without paying the big four would be to run your own fibre physically the 50km back to an internet exchange

Oh man, the digging permits alone would kill them. I thought exchanges were more numerous than that.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Digging is for suckers. Just tape it down with one of those walk-behind gaffer rigs and have an intern re-walk the route every month.

Soon you'll have a mighty callus of tape over that cable, impervious to anything.

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE

shadow puppet of a posted:

Digging is for suckers. Just tape it down with one of those walk-behind gaffer rigs and have an intern re-walk the route every month.

Soon you'll have a mighty callus of tape over that cable, impervious to anything.

gently caress it's so easy why didn't I think of this?

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
LTT would buy the now defunct project LOON balloons from google but just use them to hoist a fibre over the GVR like the fulton device in MGS and it would fall onto hwy 1 during rush hour but no one would be injured because it was gridlocked anyway. 5.6mil views!

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Nitr0 posted:

If you get the chance, read Michael Lewis' book "Flash Boys: A Wall Street Revolt". Some high speed traders just dug the trench and didn't bother with permits. :haw:

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Nitr0 posted:

Google did, how's Google fibre in Louisville anyway?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

What the gently caress is frost heave?
- A bunch of Californians

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

infernal machines posted:

What the gently caress is frost heave?
- A bunch of Californians

"It's a Texas thing, ya'll wouldn' unner'stan'," :clint:

That was some bad poo poo this last week. :smith:

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I went this long in life without realizing LTT Linus is Canadian.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Didn't he work for NCIX or was that a different Linus?

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

That was Linus Torvaldis. Who invented Unix during his 20% time at Ncix, hence the name.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

I miss NCIX and ATIC of the 90s. :(

Should hire some out of work horizontal drillers from Alberta to drill straight under Burnaby and southern Van straight into the downtown core and put in a conduit.

e: Pretty sure LTT Linus has commented about working at NCIX

EngineerJoe
Aug 8, 2004
-=whore=-

Yeah, he started NCIX Tech Tips and spun it off on his own eventually.

Edit:
NCIX Bankruptcy auction Day 1 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=29LL3blOxds
Day 2 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cDZfh5IjGv8
Why Linus left NCIX: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RUz10TAmsXA

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Linus has all these little tics and asides that makes me think he's great on camera, but would be a nightmare to work for. At least if you're not one of the inner circle that doesn't get camera time.

He's already admitted he was a massive twat in high-school, like well beyond what any teen typically is. And there was that behind the scenes video where he was throwing a literal tantrum over nothing, and one of his handlers had to be "okay, everyone clear the room, linus is having a normal one".

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

He is also, notably, an absolute moron with computers and frequently breaks things because he doesn't know what he's doing.

originalnickname
Mar 9, 2005

tree

Mister Facetious posted:

Oh man, the digging permits alone would kill them. I thought exchanges were more numerous than that.

No joke. Vancouver permits balloon the price to hundreds, if not thousands of dollars per meter, from my understanding.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

infernal machines posted:

He is also, notably, an absolute moron with computers and frequently breaks things because he doesn't know what he's doing.

it's easy to bag on successful people but i've never enjoyed the shows for this reason and several others tbh. but i mean dude's a millionaire so i just figured i wasn't seeing what everyone else liked.

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon
It bugs me that in all his recent videos when he shows their office it's completely fully staff (albeit with masked employees). Like nobody can edit and upload his videos with a loving 10GE SSD SAN, so everybody keep coming in for this essential service during a pandemic.

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE

mediaphage posted:

it's easy to bag on successful people but i've never enjoyed the shows for this reason and several others tbh. but i mean dude's a millionaire so i just figured i wasn't seeing what everyone else liked.

You don’t need to actually know anything about the product you’re selling for people to like it. See Elon that piece of poo poo, he has no knowledge of how things get done but people like him.

Nitr0 fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Feb 26, 2021

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Less Fat Luke posted:

It bugs me that in all his recent videos when he shows their office it's completely fully staff (albeit with masked employees). Like nobody can edit and upload his videos with a loving 10GE SSD SAN, so everybody keep coming in for this essential service during a pandemic.

given the posts that make him sound like a super diva, i guess i'm not surprised

Nitr0 posted:

You don’t need to actually know anything about the product you’re selling for people to like it. See Elon that piece of poo poo, he has no knowledge of how things get done but people like him.

i'm guessing he's also a big elon fan

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon

mediaphage posted:

i'm guessing he's also a big elon fan
I did a quick search and he has both a video called "Why I Bought a Tesla" and a video called "Here's why I didn't buy a Tesla".

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

He wouldn't be a proper Canadian if he wasn't trolling his American audience all the time.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Mister Facetious posted:

He wouldn't be a proper Canadian if he wasn't trolling his American audience all the time.

canadians are just americans that spell things with extra letters most of the time

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

I wish his channel was more laid back but he's always like - check out this cool tv.... that I was gifted by LG and im using this cool soundbar... that costs $2,000.

Like good for him from being some NCIX shill but know your roots.

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE
I hung out with Linus when I was new to Vancouver around 2006. I left town before he became YT famous so I haven't talked to him in like 10 years but he's just pumped he gets to screw with a bunch of technology and make a ton of money doing it. It was his lot in life at NCIX too and he always wanted more from the NCIX channel than what management was willing to give him.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

mediaphage posted:

canadians are just americans that spell things with extra letters most of the time

That's part of the trolling! :eng101:

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Martytoof posted:

I went this long in life without realizing LTT Linus is Canadian.
Lol same here. Never watched his videos.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

I'm aware of him because his "we're entirely too stupid to set up RAID in a sane way and it nuked our entire business" and "I broke a $10k iMac Pro because I'm a clown with a hammer" videos came up in YOSPOS

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Name one person on YouTube, who's successful just from YouTube, that's useful. You can't. Videos made by useful people who exist outside the internet are cool. Everything else is quite literally filler